[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/5eg/ D&D 5th Edition General
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 32
File: magic-items.jpg (120 KB, 667x528) Image search: [Google]
magic-items.jpg
120 KB, 667x528
>Official /5eg/ Mega Trove, contains all official 5e stuff:
https://mega.nz#F!UVkTnT5b!FJ34UZ98BMY2mEtexenS7g

>Pastebin with homebrew list, resources and so on:
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck [Embed]

>/tg/ Character Sheet
https://mega.nz/#F!x0UkRDQK!l-iAUnE46Aabih71s-10DQ

What's your opinion on magic items? How early do you start giving them to your players if you give them at all?
>>
>>46618320
I start giving them magic items within their first couple levels, but always trinkets and fluff items until they're 5.
Stuff like CoS's stormglass or eyes of minute seeing.
>>
got a question for you all, how would you go about roleplaying someone who is only vaguely aware of their class ability

for example I currently have a bard 4/paladin 2 who managed to escape their life as a slave gladiator due to a god looking favourably on them, however they aren't fully aware of the gifts this god has given them and used them little more than instinctually if at all (I don't know who the god is yet)

roleplay wise these abilities manifest fairly frequently but my character doesn't understand them and is a little scared of them but my main question is how do I roleplay my use of the, as obviously I the player makes the choice to use something but my character doesn't

tl:dr how do you roleplay abilities that your character has but doesn't understand
>>
>>46618563
I'd have made a favored soul for that fluff, but yours can work. You know all those superhero movie scenes when the hero has to figure out their powers? It'll be like that.
>>
>>46618320
I would let players get magic items at any level but I generally prefer items that give a sort of situational utility rather than any sort of flat "upgrade" (that's what levelling up is for in my opinion.

I just dislike when players become reliant on their magic items to be effective but i suppose that's an extreme end of the spectrum.
>>
File: What are birds.gif (999 KB, 250x251) Image search: [Google]
What are birds.gif
999 KB, 250x251
>>46618320
How about a sentient item that is upgraded as you level up as it likes you more as it travels with you?
>>
>>46618669
I'm not gonna lie I decided to do a paladin/bard because of the mechanics initially and somewhat thought out the fluff afterwards

I also wanted them to definitely have power from their own abilities as well (otherwise your suggestion of a favoured soul would have been perfect)

there's actually another pure paladin in the party so I think they're gonna try and ask them about it and see where that goes, sort of a mentor type deal (whether the paladin is at all interested is something i guess we'll find out)
>>
In 5e I have come to give out magic items very sparingly, and I give every item a back story that makes it interesting. I think that has worked best.
>>
File: 1178792.png (2 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
1178792.png
2 MB, 1920x1080
My trip attack hasn't keyed once. I'm 4th level, my DC is 15 for my maneuvers. I'm at 20 str, the only way to up my DC is to wait for my proficiency bonus to go up.

Is this normal? I feel like this isn't normal, i've probably used it ten to twelve times, and bupkis.
>>
>>46618770
More or less one of our player's character in our campaign. One of the first sentient Warforged in the setting, part of an experimental program that was looking to creative Warforged that were capable of casting magic. Warforged are customized primarily by the use of Docents, crystalline spheres that contain their 'programming,' and this one's happened to gain its own independent thought. Ended up awakening the frame that was hosting it in the process. The Docent goes by the name 'the Prodigal Son' and its presence of late has been vanishing for extended periods of time.

Due to the setting, you actually can purchase relatively weak magical items if you have the proper documentation. Caster shells in particular are found with a fair bit of frequency in the West, spells imbued in specialized shells that act as the setting's equivalent of scrolls though fire from prepared Caster guns rather than read.
>>
How often do you guys beat the shit out of your players?

I tend to introduce BBEGs early and beat the players up a bit, but now I'm running a very sandbox game, and I have many BBEGs fighting each other and doing different things.

I introduced the party to a high level wizard, which I implied was a mindflayer arcanist, already and they were scared. They've only had one brush with him withough the kid gloves on though, and they very intelligently ran away.

Up next I'd like to introduce them to a baernaloth. I've only recently learned about them, and their habit for toying with their enemies seems perfect for an introduction, but this would be one time where the players might actually feel like I am cheating them until the end... So I'm kinda torn.

I'm leaning toward kicking the shit out of them to make an impression, and not killing them, but it feels kinda like a pointless masterbatory exerciser.

>tl;dr: Where do you draw the line between, "You guys should be scared of this guy." and "I'm the all powerful DM, who has a really big penis, and this bad guy is so much kooler than you!"
>>
File: Criticalmiss.jpg (22 KB, 500x333) Image search: [Google]
Criticalmiss.jpg
22 KB, 500x333
>>46618925
Sometimes, my friend, the dice are fickle.
>>
>>46618925
Seems like bum luck, desu. When I was playing in a weekly campaign as GiantDad -- Goliath battlemaster with Great Weapon fighting style, and feats for both Heavy Armor mastery and Great Weapons -- I was getting Trips fairly regularly. You might just be running into the difficulty with what you're hitting. Obviously, high Str monster and peeps won't be going down too easily.
>>
>>46618925
Could be bad luck, your gm fudging rolls, being against enemies with proficiency in strength saving throws.
>>
>>46618925
It's not unreasonable that you are just unlucky. That's why I don't take spells (I usually play a caster) that are all or nothing. Low level enemies are usually physically capable so it's not unreasonable that many of them could regularly make checks that require high physical stats.
>>
File: 1267447.jpg (187 KB, 1800x1200) Image search: [Google]
1267447.jpg
187 KB, 1800x1200
>>46618996
That's my character to a t, except he's a 'umie.

>>46619000
>>46619018
I hope it's just luck, because that can change really quick. Our GM has been good, so I don't thin he'd be fucking with me just for kicks, but what the fuck do I know.

Guess i'll just have to keep trying, it's not like the extra damage ain't welcome i'd just like to trip someone. Thanks anons.
>>
File: 1389111796285.png (173 KB, 500x313) Image search: [Google]
1389111796285.png
173 KB, 500x313
>>46619111
>Speaking of trips.
>>
>>46618933
In our current campaign there's really been only one time that the players really got their asses handed to them, and that was by one of the three BBEG's underling's underling, a hulking Orc mercenary who slapped the shit out of the players with a whip before being forced to run by a final shot from a pistol by the party's "bard" that's actually a rogue.

Perhaps more amusing was when aforementioned BBEG's underling was first introduced to the party, a greasy Therianthrope that was running a protection racket in the regional hub. He was actually a former rival for another rogue in the party, a pirate who had been left for dead along with her crew after he betrayed them. Needless to say, she was frothing with rage when she came face to face with him. And then she immediately drew her pistol. Surprise round + winning Initiative? What was supposed be a battle between him and some of his thugs went a little differently when she dropped him to 3 HP -- Theriathrope, so Resistance to non-silvered weapons -- in those two rounds. Which led to him turning into a rat and bloodily squirming away as his thugs more or less held up their hands and slowly shuffled towards the door.
>>
>Your patron teaches you an ancient sangromancy. As an action, you can transfer health and vitality between two willing creatures. Choose two willing creatures, the donor and the donee. The donor rolls a hit die, and loses that much health. The donee gains that many hitpoints.

thoughts? It's a custom warlock pact (to be used as a possible alternative to pact of the chain, tome, blade).
>>
>>46619257
>sangromancy

just call it blood magic
>>
I don't come on here very often (or play 5E all the time), but I need some help with something.

My GM is going to be running a 5E game in Ravenloft, starting the group at Level 3. I'm going to play as a Human Cleric, and was going for the Trickery domain. However, some guides online are telling me that the Trickery Cleric is a bad call. What do you guys think? Is it any good? Should I find something else instead?
>>
>>46619156
So you would say that getting the shit kicked out of you doesn't make bad guys more intriguing to characters? Or enhance the feeling of victory later?

I think part of my problem is the second thing. They will have to play for a long time to kill the baern so it's likely that it will just be me occasionally kicking the shit out of them. My hope is that they might come to see getting away without getting fucked up as a win, but idk.
>>
>>46619324
It's not as good IN COMBAT as OTHER DOMAINS. It's still better than other domains out of combat and some other classes in combat.
>>
>>46619324
Online guides should only be used as a loose guide imo, helping to pick some skills and shit like that. Don't let it dictate how or what you want to play. Especially if you're in a good RPing group.

That being said our cleric right now got himself killed so he could reroll to another domain besides trickery. I don't know much about Clerics, but I know that ain't good.
>>
>>46619298
sure, but any thoughts on the ability itself?
>>
>>46618933
Depends on the type of campaign you want to run.
It's absolutely necessary in CoS. Good in OotA too.
>>
>>46619441
How often can it be used?
>>
>>46619476
You kinda just gave me the best answer you could give because those two are the modules I've been drawing the most from for inspiration. Also Spelljammer and Dark Sun.
>>
>>46619380
I'm fine with it being better out of combat than in it. Ideally, you'd stay out of fights as a Trickery Cleric.

>>46619401
I'm aware that letting a guide do all of the thinking for you is a bad idea and takes the fun out of it. I just wanted a second (and third, counting you guys) opinion on it.

I'll do more research. As it is now, I might just stick to Trickery.
>>
>>46619518
Yay! I'm so glad I could help!
Basically, if you're running a more heroic game like classic Oerth or Mystara then you'll probably want to use out-of-your-depth a lot less. Intense, creepy storylines like OotA and especially in CoS need that feel of being way out of your league.
>>
>>46618563
Fluff it as them trying to do one thing but getting another effect. Bard/Pal probably works well, because you could, for example, try to heal someone with magic and have it somehow happen as soon as you touched the wound (LoH) or strike with ferocity and end up smiting.

I had a GOOLock multiclass once with a similar idea. He had some idea that he'd dun goofed but no real insight into exactly what was going on when he'd start zapping people in desperation
>>
>>46618933
Players need a good beating from time to time.
Otherwise campaigns can get dull. Plus it makes it all the sweeter when they turn the tables.
>>
>>46619483
basically it's a cantrip. Warlock pact features are by and large things the warlock always has access too. I'm worried that sort of thing is dangerous with a healing spell, so I tried to give it a cost (someone else's HP.
>>
>>46619818
*by and large
Universally.

You always have access to your familiar, to the cantrips granted by the tome, and the pact weapon. the patron features are usually limited to short rests.
>>
>>46619257
This is an invocation or a spell. It's super-boring as a full pact boon.
>>
>>46619818
Then no. f you used this I'd bet money your group turns into a bunch of scary vampires that try to take as many people alive as they can to drain them of all the health the party needs.
>>
>>46619895
I've seen it just done as a cantrip. That's what I'd recommend. Useful but not interesting or good.
>>
>>46619257
DM's Guild has a Blood Magic supplement containing a new Warlock pact option, which received praise from Mike Mearls.
It's free, but I can't post it cause it's too large.
>>
>>46619933
I'm checking it out now. I'm not looking to make an entire blood magic class. I just wanted to experiment with a healing pact option.
>>
Does anyone have a scan of the table titans GM screen?
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CZ1QNbNUcAALy_e.jpg:large
>>
>>46619933
>>46620040
Maybe I'm using the wrong pdf, but i don't see the warlock pact option in there.
>>
>>46620040
Do something more mechanically interesting. Using hp to attack, and then if the attack deals damage or kills you get the hp back. Hmm...

When you miss with a spell attack you sacrafice hp to bump up the hit score

Any creature's hp you drop to equal or less than the amount of damage you have saves or dies

Steal a hit die from creatures you kill
>>
>>46620183
-5 hp to attack, 10 hp restored if it hits? Sort of like GWM?
>>
>>46618925
With this game being so low in terms of numbers and bonuses, the dice will basically determine everything. Until your DC is around 18, count on your enemies succeeding every time the enemy has to roll unless you know that enemy's bonus to the roll is absurdly low.
>>
>>46619018
This. At low levels it's not feasible to use abilities or spells that, if the opponent succeeds on the save, nothing happens (unless it's a cantrip.) If they do succeed, it usually results in a wasted action or spell slot.
>>
>>46620425
His DM is probably a fag. Honestly just fudge small time stuff so their save or dies work against low level mooks
>>
>>46620470
>Honestly just fudge small time stuff
Eh. I would only do this if the enemy has succeeded an absurd amount of times against the ability and the enemy has a hefty negative modifier to the roll. It can feel incredibly disheartening in this game for all of your shit to fail and never succeed, especially if you're a pretty high level wizard and your target is some low life bum in an alleyway.
>>
File: 1405118135870.gif (167 KB, 350x270) Image search: [Google]
1405118135870.gif
167 KB, 350x270
>>46620470
>>46620518
>Cheating at a friendly game.
>>
>>46619536
Basically Trickery isn't very fondly thought of, but Cleric as a base class is so solid that no matter what domain you get you're going to be fairly effective. I think it's Light, Nature, Arcana and Tempest that are "best" but there's not a huge difference.
>>
>>46620548
I meant as a DM you should. Does it really matter if Dave's trip attack finally works 1 time out of 12 against some random orc

Although I cheated shamelessly as a player, because the DM thought killing everyone with auto stun auto kills every turn was fun to fight every session for 5 sessions
>>
>>46620548
It's not cheating if you're the one who makes the rules
>>
>>46620548
>cheating
If the GM says it fails, then it fails. There's no cheating involved, but you have to understand how to check yourself before you end up ruling things as a success or failure on a whim. In this example, if the guy has tried to trip an enemy that has a -2 to both Str and Dex and has continually failed for 4 or 5 turns because I've rolled nothing but 18's and higher for the save, I don't mind throwing him a bone.
>>
>>46619897
I think you missed the willing part.
>>
>>46620726
Not the samefag, but there is a solution! You just torture them until they are willing because they would rather be dead. Everybody wins!

You know, except for the person's family. And the coroner who has to put the body together again.
>>
>>46619257
>>46619298
>sangromancy
Why do people call it this instead of the much more sensible option, "hemomancy?"
>>
>>46620767
Does coercion really count as willing though?
>>
>>46620797
OP of that here. I blame mtg.
>>
>>46620826
what is this, the law
>>
>>46620548
>implying God can cheat

>>46619330
Eh, it really depends on both the players and the characters. Like, while the relationship between the vengeance-fueled pirate and the greasy crime boss is a lot more one-sided in favor of the pirate, but another member of the party -- the Entertainer rogue -- is being pursued by a pretty beefy mercenary as a patron she scorned is looking to have her captured and returned to him.

He's a Machine patron warlock which makes him an almost freakishly beefy motherfucker, and her occasional encounters with him are typically a test of her ability to outsmart and outmaneuver him. Blackstrap is a very upfront and direct man, and she's the very definition of flighty and fickle. Their most recent encounter actually saw him knock her out, but she managed to escape her cage in the middle of the night and left on the first stagecoach of the morning with his bandanna as a trophy from counting coup. At this point, they have a pretty amiable relationship, but that does little to stop Blackstrap from looking to collect on his bounty.

The other member of the party's being pursued by his father's Warforged... retainer of sorts. The second-born fled with one of his father's most prized possessions, and thus the family's retainer -- with a Docent that makes the synthetic manservant an exception big game hunter -- has been sent to retrieve the stolen device. No direct contact yet, though a trail of bodies is slowly catching up with him.
>>
>>46620855
As a DM would you rule that willing? That's really what I'm asking.
>>
>>46620826
>>46620855
>>46620903
Easy. As soon as the ability starts working, he is willing. Just keep dripping acid on his forehead or your preferred method of torture until it sticks!
>>
>>46620903
Yeah, probably. The ability is kinda lame/heavily-situational without it, honestly. But maybe I'm not seeing something (champ fighter HP regen abuse, maybe?)

A big part of if you allow it or not is how you want blood magic to be, tone-wise. Generally a lot of people like to keep blood magic on the same tier as necromancy - quite frequently evil, but not necessarily.

The idea that you can beat the shit out of people to make them "willing" to partake in your life-stealing ritual keeps them as potential 'evil' things.
And if it gets out of control, well, you're running around kidnapping and torturing people to steal their life essence. Somebody is going to give a shit, especially if you keep these tortured people around to use as blood-bags whenever you want em.

If you wanna make it fun you can make giving into such evilness taints some magic aura you have or your blood and make other stuff based around blood magic or whatever I dunno, depends on how you wanna do shit and how magic works or whatever.
>>
>>46621136
I'm not the one that came up with it, I was just curious on people's view points. I do think you make a good point about the necromancy parallel.
>>
How do I deal with a player who overshadows the others?

Our group is Eldritch Knight, Beastmaster/Rogue, Sorcerer, Arcana Cleric and Land Druid. This guy's got the Ancients Paladin, noble background.

Mechanically, he's optimised to compete with rather than complement the other characters - he fights frontline sword-&-board battlemage with the Eldritch Knight, he's a divine caster/scholar like the Cleric, he's abused the Find Steed spell to have an independent combat-effective animal companion like the Beastmaster (Dire Wolf), and he took the Oath of the Ancients after the Druid joined the group. He's snagged the magic items from LMoP and specced into medium armour, so he's not even that bad at stealth. He's not BETTER at any of these than the other characters (aside from the Fighter and Beastmaster, he's about on a par there), but the fact that he's essentially muscling in on their specialities doesn't help the party dynamic. Combine this with him playing up the entitled asshole aspect of his Noble background at every possible opportunity and him being a better optimiser than most of the other players in combat, and he tends to overshadow the rest of the group.

Props to him for playing to his background and optimising his build, but it causes player friction. How can I smooth this out without altering his character or asking him to re-roll?
>>
>>46621292
Make him break his oath and see how he likes being a soiled paladin. Give him a choice that will break a tenant of his oath either way and see him squirm
>>
>>46621292
Tell him to stop playing Lawful Asshole, and starting being a team player. He should be sword and boarding to protect the sorcerer and cleric, not to get the highest kill count.

Do this too >>46621352 if he doesn't seem that concerned, don't say anything and let him break his oath and then drop the hammer on him.
>>
>unironic "make the paladin fall by abusing stupid catch-22 shit" memes
>>
>unironic continue to let That Guy be that guy with no repercussions
>>
there are plenty of ways to make a player stop being an asshat that isn't ruining the character through basically passive-aggressive contrived shit.

like talking to him and asking him to stop trying to be "Everybody else at the same time, but better"
>>
I want to set a campaign in a tropical environment with high heat and humidity. I want to replace the PHB's armor list with something appropriate to such a location, but make it a purely fluff replacement. So there'll still be an armor set that gives you 18 AC, and it costs and weighs just as much as full plate, but it would be something you could feasibly wear in a jungle without getting heat stroke.

What are some good substitutes?
>>
>>46621727
I'm not a historian, but didn't they wear full plate during the crusades? Like... Marching across the desert.
>>
>>46621727
Plate was worn in extremely hot conditions, you know why?

Because not dying is pretty damn nifty.
>>
>>46621292
>He's snagged the magic items from LMoP
Drop magic items that are much better for the other players thematically (a fire sword that burns everything natural isn't thematically fit for him) or mechanically (heavy armor for the EK, crystal ball/staff/anything boosting arcane spells for the Sorc, something made for a wolf/light armor for Ranger/rogue, whatever the Cleric uses). Magic items are not always the solution but if he has 3 of them and the rest none, it can be. Also tell him to stop being a fucking asshole if he's taking all the magic items without it making a lot of sense for his character. Custom magical items that would only be possible for a specific member of the party to use is a last resort.

Don't fucking make him fall, it doesn't seem like there's any reason to, unless he's actually being a jerk in-character to the point where he's not Good. Tell him to treat the other party members with some respect even if it's slightly against his character, it's a team game and if it affects everone else's fun then it's not a good idea.

Lastly, make encounters specifically geared to other members. If he uses a lot of smites and con/str save things have enemies that are resistant to radiant damage and have high stats for those saves. Cleric shouldn't be doing a lot of offensive save spells, if the sorc uses spells with the same spells as the pally it's harder though. It's pretty simple to make a character less effective, though it does take a bit of effort with encounter building.
>>
>>46621827
True, but it slowed you down because in the intense heat you are baking alive.
>>
>>46621727
Make the heavy armor made from some armored animal native to the tropics. Tell them it breaths because it's natural.
>>
My AL group is going to start CoS soon, and I'm really lamenting that it's only a 1-10 campaign. So many of my characters require levels 6+ to really hit the concept I'm going for.
>>
>>46621907
you were already going pretty slow because you were wearing a hundred or so pounds of armor and you really couldn't see shit.
>>
>>46621933
One of the things negative with heavy armor is that it's usually impossible to swim in, so if you have that rule then you probably want to keep it to make it a bit more risky.
>>
>>46621971
>One of the things negative with heavy armor is that it's usually impossible to swim in
Where's that rule at?
>>
>>46621986
Reality?
>>
>>46621986

Not that guy, but that's how my party did it. My heavy armor paladin several times was knocked into a river or a canal or a pond or whatever and just sank to the bottom. It was fun as fuck though, because thanks to silly 5e rules, I could hold my breath for, like, 200 rounds or something. So I'd just walk on the bottom (usually killing zombies) until I found a place to climb up.
>>
>>46621971
using that idea it's impossible to swim in a lot of that armor though. plate is certainly the worst, but nobody is swimming in chain or half-plate either.

pretty much light/no armor only.
>>
>>46622026
Sorry, forgot we were playing Reality, and not D&D 5e.

So where does it say in the Reality PHB that heavy armor (such as plate) makes it basically impossible to swim?
>>
>>46622049
lol
>>
>>46621986
My GM basically does a few things logic-based, so heavy armor is just impossible to swim in, and a halfling with a single backpack can't carry 100 10-foot poles and whatever even if it's below the max carry limit for him. I'm looking forward to play a Goliath with tons of gear and see where he stops me.
>>
>>46622114
>does a few things logic-based, so heavy armor is just impossible to swim in
Funny, cause that's not logical at all.
>>
File: 1459814052373.png (1 MB, 1122x1122) Image search: [Google]
1459814052373.png
1 MB, 1122x1122
>>46621962
>plate
>100 or so pounds
>>
>>46621962
>conjecture = facts the post
>>
>>46621971
>>46621986
>>46622026
>>46622049
While I do normally say that I desire fantasy settings to adhere to a degree of sensibility (i.e. the stuff makes sense in its own setting), I think swimming in plate would be a reasonable feat of strength for the level of power that Fighters or whoever would be at with 20 Strength. They carve dragons up all the time, after all, what's swimming with an extra forty pounds across your person?
>>
>>46621805
>>46621727
>>46621827
Full plate armor wasn't worn 24/7. They would have only donned it for battle, and doffed it for traveling and resting.

I'd impose a CON check DC 8 + 1 for every hour you spend in full plate outside during the day, on a fail you gain one level of exhaustion. This would allow them to don their armor for a battle lasting up to one hour with no penalties, and to keep armor donned while inside or during the night. Furthermore, it would let characters with higher constitution shine as they'd be better able to withstand the effects of the heat.

You could also have NPCs tell legends of a knight who would roam around in a full set of thick steel plate armor without ever tiring or falling to the heat. The PCs can find this knight or his corpse, and obtain his armor which is full plate that's enchanted to keep the wearer permanently cool (throw in one or two other benefits if you want, like +1 or advantage on CON checks to avoid exhaustion). If they find the knight alive, he might give the armor to them provided they help him with something.

>>46622121
>>46622049
Typical plate armor weighs maybe 40 pounds, and is worn with a surcoat on top and thick padding underneath, and regular clothing underneath that. Have you ever tried swimming in a shirt, sweater, and tracksuit pants? It would be like that, but at least 2-3 times worse. I wouldn't say it'd "impossible" to swim in, but it'd require an extreme show of athletics.
>>
>>46621352
>>46621370
>making paladins fall with no win scenarios

I thought people learned how retarded this is after 4e was replaced.
>>
>>46622121
I would allow it, but raise the str requirement to not be slower by 2 or so, and make them unable to stay afloat long if they don't meet the normal requirement. These are supernatural characters after all. And by logic I didn't mean actual logic, I meant he does what he thinks is realistic, in this case not actually very much so.
>>
>>46620707
No you assclown changing the outcome for no good reason is still cheating
>>
>>46622195
Same for me. If you have enough strength to not incur a speed penalty with the armor and you have proficiency with it, you can basically move in it as you want.

>>46622218
>Have you ever tried swimming in a shirt, sweater, and tracksuit pants?
Yeah, and it's hard. But I'm not a 17 Strength Fighter with proficiency in Athletics and Heavy Armor, so it's a false equivalence.

>>46622283
>no good reason
It's almost like you can't read.
>>
>>46622283
I don't understand how this thread is constantly full of people who have never DM'd in their life trying to act authoritative about how to DM.

Fudging rolls is fine, if done in moderation and without the players being aware of it.
>>
>>46622561
In my defense. I thought he was saying players should fudge if they were consistently failing.
>>
>>46622561
Welcome to /5eg/
Usual topics:

>I'll tell you how to DM even though I don't/am shit
>4e this, 3.5 that, boohoo I wanna play a different edition
>halberds
>glaives
>suits of full plate that will fit any humanoid and will not rust
>rats
>Bladelock is fine
>Beastmaster is fine
>Your homebrew is shit
>DMsguild is shit
>UA is shit
>What is a man

Etc.
>>
>>46622995
You forgot Sage Advice back-and-forth and rolling for stats with 6d20 down the line!
>>
Rolled 6, 9, 4, 18, 19, 5 = 61 (6d20)

>>46623027
Aarakocra Monk of the Long Death
>>
why aren't Kelemvor's knights crawling all over Ravenloft?
>>
Rolled 12, 2, 6, 3, 12, 15 = 50 (6d20)

>>46623027
Goliath Purple Dragon Knight
>>
>>46623076
Because it is in the shadowfell
>>
>>46623060
Weak, clumsy, fragile and ugly, but really smart and wise
you should call it Stephen Hawking :^)

>>46623084
Charlatan: the stats
>>
File: 1390071700191.jpg (3 KB, 125x120) Image search: [Google]
1390071700191.jpg
3 KB, 125x120
>>46623180
>>
>>46622995
WHAT IS A MAN?
>>
>>46622995
-4 str +4
>>
File: 14358899.jpg (59 KB, 300x277) Image search: [Google]
14358899.jpg
59 KB, 300x277
>>46623230
>tfw trying to hold back conditioned pavlovian response to this question
>>
charsheet anon here, haven't been able to hang out in thread lately, how has everyone's experience with the sheets been?
>>
>>46623230
I don't get this?

>>46623269
That's more a board-wide thing, I haven't seen it a lot in 5eg.
>>
>>46623335
Pretty good. Friend of mine playing a bard noticed a spelling error (espertise instead of expertise a couple of times), but it's nice. I especially like the reference sheets (basic and class) and the little stuff involved, like the page number area for the spellsheet and the extended weapons area.
>>
File: disgusting.png (394 KB, 1220x1080) Image search: [Google]
disgusting.png
394 KB, 1220x1080
>>46623230
>>46623300
I couldn't fucking resist
I even had my vampire BBEG say it in a game i'm DM'ing
it's just too fucking good
>>
>>46623410
i dun ged it tho
>>
>>46623665
How old are you?
>>
>>46623697
would you believe i'm actually a licensed practitioner of law?

"What is a man" makes me think Shakespeare, but I can't be sure. That seems irrelevant to why the quote is a 5eg meme though.
>>
>>46623747
No, I wouldn't.
>>
>>46623665
>>46623697
Castlevania quote I guess? I'm 25 and I had to look it up.
>>
>what is a man source
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OMTizJemHO8
>>
>>46618925
Are you rolling under 10 each time? Because your DM shouldn't be constantly throwing shit at you with saves that are high enough to resist that consistently unless your rolls are just trash. It should be pretty evident if "this is normal" if you've rolled 10-12 times and been under 10 each time; it's not the mechanics, it's shit luck. If this keeps happening or you're fighting "strong" monsters with better physical stats, start using Menacing Blow instead.

You... DID take Menacing Blow, didn't you?
>>
>>46623752
>>46623777
>>46623754
that explains the origin, but not why it became a meme in 5eg.

The science of memes eludes me.
>>
>>46623814
Don't suppose you know what the most recent AP is, Brainiac?
>>
>>46618563
I'm actually doing something pretty similar right now in Death House.

Playing a duergar fighter for the first two levels, then at third level, his eyes start to glow white, and we'll use magic spells innately on accident, i.e. reach down to grab and throw a handaxe, accidentally shooting off a chromatic orb instead.

Basically have them use powers by accident in a state of panic, or in your case you could even have an angel's voice in their head explaining their powers or something
>>
>>46623840
a vampire story wholly unrelated to castlevania?
>>
>>46618933
If my BBEG is powerful enough to kick the party's shit in, I never put him in a position where the two could meet unless it's the party seeking them out, and they're quite forewarned (subtly and not-so-subtly) about how unwise that may be. If the BBEG's strength lies in realms that aren't going let him chump the party in a personal confrontation, he will immediately skeedaddle whenever encountered, or do his best not to be encountered in the first place.

I have BBEG Underlings to let the party thrash if they want a win against the guy. They tend to wind up being more memorable in the long run due to easily facilitating multiple encounters and having more room for interaction beyond, "Wow, you're the dickhead trying to blow up the world, we're going to kill the shit out of you because we give zero fucks about your twisted motivation."
>>
>>46623874
r u autistic
>>
>>46623889
i've never gotten diagnosed by a professional, and I don't believe in self diagnosis. I don't think so though.
>>
>>46623874
Are you seriously this dense?
>>
>>46623903
I don't know. Are you saying that just because two stories feature haunted houses and vampires, that's enough of a connection for some people to think that spamming quotes from one in the context of the other is funny?

I'm an optimist: i don't want to think that people are that stupid and unfunny, so there must be a better reason.
>>
File: mhm.jpg (198 KB, 3000x1688) Image search: [Google]
mhm.jpg
198 KB, 3000x1688
>>46623922
>>
>>46618770
There's a good 3.5 book called "weapons of legacy" that is all about that shit if you haven't looked into it already.
>>
>http://www.middlefingerofvecna.com/2015/07/apache.html
I wanna play the shit out of this Monastic Tradition, holy shit.

>>46623886
>Underlings more memorable than BBEGs
Yeah, pretty much what I was talking about with >>46619156 and >>46620896. Underlings can also be a lot more relateable if only because they're ultimately a lot closer to the individual power of each of the players, caught up in the BBEGs plans for a variety of their own reasons.

>>46623874
kek
>>
File: DWST07801.jpg (34 KB, 550x315) Image search: [Google]
DWST07801.jpg
34 KB, 550x315
>>46623922
>I'm an optimist: i don't want to think that people are that stupid and unfunny, so there must be a better reason.
>>
>>46623945
>>46623933
I don't understand. What are you two implying with these images?
>>
>>46621292
Introduce an Ancient Paladin DMNPC in a studded leather jacket, sunglasses (he has light sensitivity because he spent 20 years in a pitch-black area of the Underdark soloing illithids and Drow armies because he's so badass), and frosted tips. He's an all around rad dude who constantly gives gifts to the other party members, compliments them, and helps them out, never one-upping them, just totally enabling them to be cool individuals.

Except the other Paladin. He's better than him in every way and isn't afraid to mention it whenever it comes up.
>oh, sweet, you have a dire wolf, huh. yeah, i've got a hog as my mount. that's what i call this steam-powered ro-boar that breathes fire and runs at 90mph. but wolves are cool too
>>
>>46623938
It's a neat idea, could work pretty well with 5e.
>>
>>46623961
The second is calling >>46623922 a toolbox
The first that he's that kind of neckbeard that acts butthurt when he doesn't get a joke.
>>
How good is the homebrew from Middle Finger of Vecna? Balanced? No?
>>
>>46624055
It's extra shit.
>>
>>46624055
Inconsistent, but that describes virtually every 'brew out there. All things considered, MFoV is above average.

The one in >>46623944 makes me cringe a bit, though.

As always, talk to your DM.
>>
>>46624042
I'm trying to understand the joke. I hope you don't take offense to that.
Is the toolbox comment referring to my versatile "toolbox" method of thinking, where I constantly try to solve various problems with different mental paradigms and tools? If so, I appreciate that poster's discerning wit.
>>
File: 1345077028631.png (477 KB, 753x720) Image search: [Google]
1345077028631.png
477 KB, 753x720
>>46624089
>>
>>46622218
>Have you ever tried swimming in a shirt, sweater, and tracksuit pants? It would be like that, but at least 2-3 times worse. I wouldn't say it'd "impossible" to swim in, but it'd require an extreme show of athletics.
None of that stuff weighs any more in the water than it does on land. The extreme weight of your wet clothing only applies once you get out of the water. While you're submerged, the only added hinderance is fucked hydrodynamics, which would be more of a problem for someone in heavy, flowing robes than platemail.

If we're trying to accurately reflect the swimming capabilities of various PCs, everyone is already carrying enough equipment by default to make them a mess under water if we hold to this idea that 40 pounds more than your dry weight is going to fuck you over. Except here in D&D, the guys wearing full plate are total beefcakes. The Rogue in leathers and merely above-average Strength should really have a harder time than the platemailed Fighter who can flip wagons.

Buoyancy is the issue for people in platemail. They can SWIM around just fine, it's treading water and staying on the surface that's problematic. Consider them as constantly sinking, but easily able to counteract that drop if they are free to use their limbs. It should only be a problem if they are somehow restrained or stuck in a fight. The old "heavy armor guy falls off the boat and is fucked forever" thing is dumb and wrong.
>>
File: Capture.jpg (205 KB, 800x786) Image search: [Google]
Capture.jpg
205 KB, 800x786
>>46624033
A great deal of the content in the book is based on the backgrounds/history of the weapons, things you do to research them, and how your character's level influences their power. The vast majority is very easily transferable to any game which is nice.
>>
>>46624055
As >>46623944 and a frequent commentor on their site, it is entirely dependent on the brew. I use a lot of it in my homebrew game, but by no means would I ever say give it an open season for a DM. Though with that said, a lot of the times they're stuff is a little lackluster rather than OP. Ultimately, though, it's like everyone that makes homebrew, aka hit-or-miss.

I will say, more often than not, I'd say they hit? But by no means is everything golden, and a lot of stuff has some pretty significant problems. Playing their Pharaoh patron warlock in a game atm, and holy shit is it fun.

>>46624086
>not wanting to play an Injun monk
>not wanting to scalp your enemies and go on vision quests
>not wanting to run wild through a cloud of ancestral warriors, letting out a blood-curdling war whoop
>>
>>46624138
>reddit rolls a nat 0 disguise check attempting to be /pol/

As a /pol/ack, I'm not even made, just disappointed.
>>
File: 1345664051247.jpg (77 KB, 1024x576) Image search: [Google]
1345664051247.jpg
77 KB, 1024x576
>>46624138
>>
File: animepolitics.jpg (155 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
animepolitics.jpg
155 KB, 1920x1080
>>46624158
That said, have you seen the trash that has started to infest /pol/ since the cuck meme took root there and the Trump infestation began? It can't all be blamed on false flag shills pretending to be the latter. Some of those are just genuine underaged fuckwits.
>>
>>46624138
>>46624158
as the resident SJW trash invading this board, who the fuck are the lizardmen? asians?
>>
File: angry little drill sergeant.gif (25 KB, 169x223) Image search: [Google]
angry little drill sergeant.gif
25 KB, 169x223
>>46624185
>not getting the reddit joke
LURK MORE GODDAMIT
>>
>>46624121
Yeah, and you don't need to make them TOO powerful to still be useful and interesting in 5e, where even the 'legacy' weapons can be outclassed by some random shit you make yourself in 3e.
>>
File: 1384907568332.gif (987 KB, 500x452) Image search: [Google]
1384907568332.gif
987 KB, 500x452
>>46624221
I honestly can't tell whether you're falling for his shit, or just pretending to be retarded to match him pretending to be retarded.
>>
>>46624221
Oh, this is another meme. Please try to keep the discussion to one meme only. I'm trying to understand this "what is a man", and why people find it funny firstt. Then we can move onto reddit as a memetic insult? Greeting? What ever it is, later.

>>46624220
the lizard men are the core of the illuminati and other various secret societies, trying to create a one world government with themselves at the top. They are a remnant of creation 5000 years ago, and they are responsible for every major lie told in the past 5000 years: dinosaur bones, steel beams melting at the wrong temperature, the sinister purpose of the caps on your shoelaces, it's all well documented if you just look.
>>
>>46624275
>waaah, you disagree with me
>D-d-drumpf is a Nazi! He's literally Hitler!
>IT'S THE CURRENT YEAR
Go home, Jon Oliver, you're drunk.

>>46624297
>implying I believe half of what he's stated
>implying I haven't read Art of the Deal and understand the number one rule: always ask for more than what you want
>>
Kind reminder to report or ignore off-topic shitposting.

Somebody asked for the Waterworld!Ranger archetype I mentioned a couple of threads ago and I never got back to them. /5eg/ doesn't actually care about the "Looks just like the PHB" format for homebrew, right?
>>
How would you guys stat trump in DnD
>>
>>46624322
8-10 on every stat except charisma, which is a 6. Yuge bonuses to deception though.
>>
>>46624322
Rakshasha paladin, easy.

Find your own way to give him Expertise in Diplomacy.
>>
>>46624318
>/5eg/ doesn't actually care about the "Looks just like the PHB" format for homebrew, right?
Not if the content is any good. It'd be cool if, once it was finished, you cleaned it up and made it look all nice and stuff, but it's definitely not required.

>>46624341
>Yuge
Get the fuck out Texas.
>>
>roll 21 to pursuade
>npc rolls nat 20
NPC has +0 cha modifier

Why on earth would the DM let the NPC win because of a nat 20? it's not like AbChecks can crit.
>>
>>46624317
>waaah, you disagree with me
That's exactly what you did in >>46624234 you big man-baby.
>oh, this guy doesn't like Trump
>HE MUST BE A BERNIE SUPPORTER

>>46624348
The joke is that's how Trump says it.
>>
>>46624363
Because he's stupid and doesn't know the rules.

Either that or he's implementing a nat 20=auto success, nat 1=auto fail on everything.
>>
>>46624318
If you haven't found it yet, there's a pretty spiffy homebrew prettifier on

http://www.naturalcrit.com/

>>46624363
Lots of groups have nat20s be a an auto success. You should talk with yours to make sure you understand the rules.
>>
>>46624345
Could throw on the Noble background pretty easily. I guess.
>>
>>46624341
Trump is pretty smart mang, even if he does pander to rednecks to get votes. I'd put him at 14-16 if 10 is your average person because 10 is not setting the bar very high.

>>46624363
20s are a big deal for some people, he should have more restraint though because it's funnier in my mind for the NPC to do literally as well as possible and still come up 1 short than it is for him to just give an auto-win because of the 20. Especially if it's a ruling against a PC, unless the context was important to him. What were you trying to persuade him on?
>>
>>46624322
Variant of the Noble. Inheritor, or something.
Skill Proficiencies: Performance, Deception
Tool Proficiencies: YOU ARE ONE AHAHA no seriously a gaming set.
Languages: Blowhard
Equipment: A small loan of 100,000gp, but it turns out to be significantly more when you adjust for inflation.

Feature: Name Branding
Thanks to your rich father's lucretive government contracts, people are inclined to think you know what you're doing. You are given preferential treatment in the bidding process and people assume any product with your family name on it must be classy.
>>
>>46624471
it really depends on how much of his current campaign is his staff. Given how bungled he was in 2012, I'm leaning towards his surge now is mostly due to staff realizing there's no such thing as bad publicity.
>>
>>46624474
>Transmuter Wizard
>abuse Minor Alchemy to pass off gilded trinkets and skip town before they revert
I've always wanted to play a scammy character, but it'd never fly with do-gooders in the rest of the party and I'm not gonna be that guy who trashes harmony to make an extra ten gold because "it's my character" when it would also be in the party's character to give me the boot.
>>
>>46624499
That's a fair point, I'll give that that is entirely possible. On camera he does seem to hit well when he hits, but miss more spectacularly when he misses.
>>
File: 12893821.png (241 KB, 465x416) Image search: [Google]
12893821.png
241 KB, 465x416
>>46624420
>>46624444
>>46624471
It's the first time I've ever seen this group do it. So they must have changed their rules suddenly or the DM fucked up.

Also it's not my group, it's an stream that's honestly not good but I'm watching it just because a friend is in it and we talk while he plays in it.

Nat 1s for me when I'm DMing are never autofails or have to be like a crit fail. It just means you especially didn't do what you wanted. Now, if someone was capable of coming up with a negative, I'd consider it being a major bungle worthy of what some people do for crit fails.

Because in the long run, it just gets old having people deal with stupid bullshit every nat 1.
>your sword is stuck in the log, lose a turn!
>you trip and fall onto your face! you're now prone + dmg
>you misspeak a word and the noble woman thinks you just came onto her, she slaps you and calls the guards on your party.

When the bad outcome is itself unrealistic for the sake of it being catastrophic, it's stupid and just wastes everyone's time.

I guess I only dislike it so much because a particular DM would go overboard with it constantly to the point it got old.

image only partially related.
>>
>>46624586
To add to that, DMing is all about brevity and being interesting to everyone involved.

We're here for fun, not so you can say fuck you to all your players and shit on their goals every chance you get.

Fuck you, Tom.
>>
>>46624620
This also gets back to the earlier discussion about whether fudging dice rolls is "cheating". The point is to have fun and tell a story. The party getting TPKed because you can't stop rolling 20s all night isn't fun, especially when you're almost to the cool stuff.
>>
>>46624692
>The point is to have fun and tell a story. The party getting TPKed because you can't stop rolling 20s all night isn't fun
While I agree, this should be qualified. Some people do play tabletop games specifically just to go through lots of combat. Some people might like that.

But I agree 100%. What's even worse than that is when the DM keeps rolling 20s, and half the party is dead or have used all of their spells to no effect, and then he makes a roll and goes "oh man, dice! C'mon dice! You can't just kill my party like this, c'mon!".
>>
>>46618320
Random question /tg/, but where do kobolds get their equipment? Are they capable of forging it? Steal anything their size? Buy it from goblins or something else roughly their size? Do the dragons themselves actually compel people to make them?
>>
About to start a new campaign and one of my players is planning on using a psionic. I'm considering not allowing it because it seems really overpowered compared to the rest of the characters in the party, who are all stuff out of the PHB.

Is it really as strong as I think it is?
>>
>>46624792
You don't build a hoard without picking up some vendor trash for the kiddies.
>>
>>46624792
How about improvised weapon rules extended to armor? It's something like
>A DM may rule that if the object you are wielding is comparable in size and weight to another listed weapon, it functions as such, i.e., a table leg being statted as a club.

So when we say a kobold has a dagger he may just have a very large kitchen knife or a broken longsword; an axe might be a shovel sharpened on one side. Instead of armor being made for kobolds, it's human-sized stuff that has been scrapped and stitched back together (crudely) to fit kobold shapes, or maybe it was stolen from dead gnomes and halflings.
>>
>>46624792
> but where do kobolds get their equipment? Are they capable of forging it?
Probably. They're a semi-intelligent race, so I wouldn't doubt that in their communities they have some smiths or pole turners capable of making their weapons and armor.

>>46624814
The only psionic available, as far as I know, is the Mystic from Unearthed Arcana. I have no idea how strong it is, but keep in mind that is IS from UA, which is basically a test to see what the people enjoy and then go along with it. It's not finished in its current form, and if you do allow it, understand that it's limited to level 10 and you're basically beta testing it.
>>
>>46624814
Knowing nothing about how 5E psionic brews are supposed to work, all I can say is that traditionally the problem has been uncapped PP stacking.
>oh I can spend another 1 PP to add +1d6 to this
>and there's no "up to" here
>and I have 57 PP........

You can always try it and rein certain powers in if they are revealed to be too good. Tell your player in advance that the class will be subject to review as you play. It's also entirely possible that the class is too weak.

If you're worried about it being too strong compared to other CHARACTERS and not just their classes, perhaps the problem is that the other players have all decided to build super sub-optimally and could use some pointers.
>>
>>46624881
>>46624862

Thanks for the advice. I'll tell my player that the Mystic isn't finished yet so we might have to change some things.
>>
>>46624862
I was thinking about using Kobolds in an environment where they had not encountered more civilized races in decades, so if they have access to ore then I think this would be the way to go. It might be crude, inefficient and a little backwards compared to dwarves, but there is no reason they can't figure it out.
>>
>>46624958
The 10 levels isn't the big issue with it necessarily, as you can always multiclass. This is the one I'm talking about, but he might be presenting you with a different one, a homebrew one. Make sure that everyone knows the characters that everyone is making, and it's even better if everyone makes their characters together.
>>
>>46624964
Sure. You could even give them all a special quality, "brittle" or "slapdash." Something to represent it's hasty, amateur construction, and if an attack roll is made with the weapon and rolls a natural 1, the weapon breaks.

Or, you could make Kobolds have a reputation for being good (or even master) smiths, taking garbage tier materials from their surroundings and making perfectly functional weapons out of them. They don't look pretty, but they're sturdy, sharp, and dependable.
>>
Hey, I'm building an arcane trickster rogue and hoping to take advantage of Cunning Action hide by using whips to attack and run without burning the cunning action on disengage.

Question: How difficult is it to hide in combat? The race I'm playing is High Elf, so no Halfling shenanigans. Does Invisible + Hide Action = auto-hide? I guess creatures with True Sight ignore invisibility though? How to hide from such a creature? Pls help.
>>
File: desertcity.jpg (493 KB, 2560x2048) Image search: [Google]
desertcity.jpg
493 KB, 2560x2048
As the original poster of the desert thread, I'm setting up the groundwork for a new desert campaign I'm going to run. Some of the shit in last thread was sick, like glass blue dragon lairs and whatnot.
Current idea is that the players are going to all be part of a roaming caravan/Gypsy type group and they've been together since birth. The caravan has elders that direct what they do and cast minor illusions as they travel to make them less vulnerable to the cruelties of the desert.

What are some good plothooks for getting the players to be sent/forced to go to the Big City(tm) of the desert?
>>
>>46625182
Depends on your DM. Some would say you running at them with a whip would remove the hide bonus before you hit them.
>>
>>46625371
Running = dash
Base movement speed is walking. But regardless, I'm planning on using other means to gain advantage for sneak attack.

I want to use cunning action to hide after making my attacks so I don't get OHKOd.
>>
>>46625422
Honestly, you're probably not in danger of getting OHKO'd past level 2. You've got a decent enough store of HP, even as a Rogue, that it would take a crit to floor you in one attack.

The point stands, however, that as soon as you move, your Hide ends. Keep that in mind.
>>
>>46624996
>>46624958
The class was also finished to level 20 by someone.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B2bXgsHg7PtJZmFKSnREYlhkelU/view
https://www.reddit.com/r/UnearthedArcana/comments/462kev/the_psionic_handbook_a_homebrew_continuation_of/
>>
>>46625422
Why not just shoot at them?
>>
>>46625361
>glass blue dragon lairs
Again, word-for-word, in the MM.
>>
File: 1446812229755.jpg (236 KB, 1366x768) Image search: [Google]
1446812229755.jpg
236 KB, 1366x768
Hey, DM here.
I've been fairly generous with loot to my players (intended), but I'm having a bit of trouble with everything having trouble hitting my PCs.

Especially lower level monsters, who might only have +2 or +3 to hit, seems pretty much useless when they need to roll 16+ to hit anything.

Would it be unreasonable to give monsters a buff to +hit - Or are there any other good way, low level monsters can actually hit my PCs?
>>
File: Blue Dragon lair.png (107 KB, 297x208) Image search: [Google]
Blue Dragon lair.png
107 KB, 297x208
>>46625361
>>46625527
For reference.
>>
>>46625455
>5% of being OHKO'd
>acceptable
rly?

>>46625523
planning on incorporating some shooting as well. but I'm trying to fight interestingly, so I've come up with a few neat strategies that require melee.
>>
>>46625559
If your players are too difficult to hit with CR-appropriate creatures, their AC is probably way too high. Out of curiosity, have you given them +2 armor or something that would greatly boost their AC?

However, the best solution is to stop aiming for AC. Throw in some monsters during encounters that are primarily trying to hit AC, but don't forget to target their saves. Often times the character with incredible AC has at least one or two garbage saves.

>>46625578
>rly?
Uh, yeah. until you get to level 4 or so, everyone has a 5% chance to instantly be knocked out. That's the name of the game in 5e, you just have to deal with it.
>>
>>46625559
>Hay guys I'm an idiot and I gave my party magic items but now the CR-appropriate encounters aren't CR appropriate what do

Not be fucking retarded?
>>
>>46625593
>until level x
Ah, okay. This is acceptable. Thanks for the answers, guy.
>>
>>46625610
Totally. I also hope you realize that the Barbarian with max health can be taken down with a non-crit at level 1 in a single round from a CR1 creature, and there's not much you can do about it.
>>
>>46625578
Whips work. I still prefer the mobile feat for a non-swashbuckler melee rogue. 10 feet more movement (20 when dashing) and ignore difficult terrain is really helpful
>>
>>46625593
Didn't think about saving throws. Thanks anon!
>>
File: Deep Sea Merfolk.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
Deep Sea Merfolk.pdf
1 B, 486x500
Cthulhufag here again. Reposting the 5th edition version of the deep sea merfolk I made last thread, with some changes made.
I'm still wondering if I could actually represent the anglerfish-style parasitic males in the stats somehow. Maybe a variant that increases the CR but lets them cast some low-level spells at will to represent a psionic male? Maybe make that available for the PC version as a feat.
>>
where are the rules for crafting and such? i want to figure out how to make alchemists fire but cant seem to find anything about doing so, only that it costs 50 gp and doesnt do anywhere near as much damage as i'd like it to
>>
When will players stop being rules interpreters and leave that stuff to the GM as it's supposed to?
>>
>>46625965
In the PHB, crafting is detailed on page 157 of the PHB. It takes forever and is awful. If you're really interested in crafting, ask your DM if the two of you can sit down and make some rules of your own.
>>
>>46625578
>>5% of being OHKO'd
>>acceptable
>rly?
At level 2? Yes, "rly". Levels 1 and 2 are the novice/trainee levels, you're not supposed to be a competent, badass adventurer until level 3 and up. That's a very specific design decision they made, and it's something that's been talked about since 5e came out. Why are people still surprised that novice characters are fragile?
>>
>>46625642
Oh shit, no opportunity attacks... I actually got the go ahead to have proficiency with whips, DM wrote up a custom Background, Infiltrator, for my character that permits two proficiencies that are relevant to my false identity (whips and net, false identity is a drow nightraider).

I will consider the mobile feat, thanks for mentioning that. My DM has like never implemented difficult terrain, however one of my combat strategies involves casting Web, which counts as difficult terrain. Being able to move through that at normal pace would really up the effectiveness of that combat strategy.
>>
>>46625702
>vore
stop it boner
>>
>>46626052
No opportuniy attacks? Why would that be? If they leave your reach of 10ft you can still make one.
>>
File: 5e_PHB_Feats_Mobile.png (64 KB, 464x254) Image search: [Google]
5e_PHB_Feats_Mobile.png
64 KB, 464x254
>>46626070
I didn't realize that, however, I was just remarking one of the features of the feat, Mobile. Pic related.
>>
>>46626154
>>46625642
Level 4, Mobile feat or ability score improvement (Dex19->20, Char13->14)?

I've earmarked level 8 for ability score improvement (Int18->20).
>>
File: Pelagic_Zones.png (33 KB, 202x590) Image search: [Google]
Pelagic_Zones.png
33 KB, 202x590
>>46626067
Well, the intention was to give them some typical deep sea fish traits (the original version I did for 3.PF even had a lot of variants to represent specific types of deep sea fish, but incorporating those into the 5th edition version wouldn't have really worked), the three most notable ones being "glows in the dark" "looks freaky as hell" and "can swallow things bigger than themselves". I made it primarily because I think deep sea stuff (and weird and freaky biology in general) is cool as hell. But yeah, they're mermaids from Underwater Vore Hell.

Although, really, that's only about 2nd or 3rd most magical realmy thing I've done, and all but one of those weren't really intented to be fetish stuff (and the one that was, which as it happens was also vore, wasn't even my own magical realm but something I did on a whim).
I have a tendecy to do weird and freky things, is what I'm saying.

Sorry if I end up offending peoples sensibilities.
>>
>>46626267
The swallow ability actually seems kinda OP. Have you playtested it? Regurgitation should be triggerable without having to deal a buttload of damage from the inside. What if she swallows a bard?
>>
>>46626304
>What if she swallows a bard?
Well that will make for a great song won't it?
>>
>>46626304
>What if she swallows a bard?
Have you seen the 5e bard? She'll learn a damn hard lesson, that's what.
>>
>>46623938
Shiny. I'll take a look at that, cheers
>>
>>46626336
Actually, I haven't really. I know that they have some pretty neat abilities/spells/cantrips though so I guess it would make for a pretty neat situation.
>>
>>46626304
That's why I posted it, to get some feedback. I need to figure a good damage treshold to trigger the regurgitation. Too high would make the ability too good (although it's also limited to once per long rest, which should balance it somewhat), too low and it become useless. I made it linked to hp so it'd scale, but while 1/4th of your hp and low levels is pretty easy to deal in a single hit, at lv.20 it can mean a shitload of damage.
>>
>>46626360
You should definitely check it out: bards are pretty damn awesome now. Mostly, they actually have the ability to be generalists without sucking at everything, but you can also build them pretty well as specialists at a variety of roles. It's probably my favorite class in 5e.
>>
>>46621292
Find Steed is for finding horses or ponies. Don't let him have a dire wolf.
>>
Is "Kill 1d4 minions" considered a valid Action for a Legendary-tier warlord?
>>
>>46626435
For what purpose
>>
>>46621805
>plate armour during the crusades
lmao

The Crusades were like 1096-1291 and full sets of plate didn't appear until the 15th century.
>>
>>46626823
As in, kill the minions of the forces he opposes.
Saves having to make all those attack rolls against non-PCs.
>>
>>46625559
Give the monsters advantage on their attacks. Whether that's through monsters with Pack Tactics type mechanics or just plain teamwork where one knocks them prone and the others merc the prone guy.
>>
I've been replaying TOEE to try something, in theory it's a bug but actually seeing it in action the result is beautiful.

I'd never tried a single class fighter because lol 3.5, but the combination of Whirlwind, Great Cleave and Combat Reflexes with a Glaive is a sight.

And then I realize it wouldn't fly on tabletop and it makes me sad. It's a crime that Fighter's ridiculous feat chains in 3.5 don't stack for characters willing to spend the effort to get them. If there was a NPC who got the main two crafting feats automatically I could basically just run with the Fighter-Rogue-Bard trio 99% of the fights; my main casters are basically used in horribly unoptimized ways (A sorcerer who only uses a bow, a druid who swords and boards, an NPC wizard with a crossbow, who eats up the druid's spell slots getting healed; their main contribution was providing warm targets during two of the big mass fights and being able to wield the holy sword).

>>46625988
Sadly never. Rules lawyers were joked about all the way back to 1e according to the GOO who used to play with us.
>>
How useful would you say an item is that increases your proficiency bonus by 1 for as long as you keep it on your person? Is this a powerful magic item, or is it on the weaker side?
>>
>>46627736
Very powerful
>>
>>46627736
Very powerful, a lot of things use your proficiency
>>
>>46627736
It's slightly less powerful than advantage iirc
>>
>>46618320
As early as players amass money to buy them. If there is a Ye oldee magik shoppe and they got some shiny they can get it.
>>
>>46628026
Advantage is ~+5 (the actual number changes on the difficulty, of course, but 5 is the baseline to use as a guide)
>>
>>46628114
Yeah, but advantage is also not a fixed bonus, a fixed +1 can be worth more in some circumstances
>>
>>46618320
I basically let them buy common items and uncommon items that are either consumables or not technically magical; the costs and relative rarity of the things generally ensure that they still don't drown in them by level 5.

They usually have nicer shit to spend on, especially since I treat silvered as low-grade magical in some situations.
>>
>>46627736
You are describing an Ioun Stone of Mastery, an item of legendary rarity. Except yours doesn't appear to need attunement, nor float in an obvious and vulnerable manner around the head.
>>
>>46628275
Pretty much. We got that in the first town we entered from doing basically nothing. No attunement, and he hasn't tried to swat it out of the air or take it yet with any of his creatures.
>>
>>46628275
Is there a reason to target an ioun stone? Unless it was a thief trying to steal it, or someone wanting to be a dick, why would you target it over just dealing damage to the person?

>>46628345
>first town
If you are low level, the chances of an enemy hitting it are quite low (24 AC, 24 sleight of hand to grab)
>>
>>46628392
Some of the Ioun stones let you cancel spell effects targeted on you. Might be worth trying to swat.

Yeah, by first town, I mean at level 2.

I can't see why something like this is a legendary item. It hasn't helped me at all at this point (3 sessions in). Not once have I gotten close to succeeding and the Ioun Stone pushed me over into success or caused an enemy to be 1 away from succeeding on their save. I mean, I know it's basically a permanent proficiency bonus, but a +1 seems kind of irrelevant right now. Maybe it'll change once we get higher leveled.
>>
>>46628428
>A +1 seems irrelevant right now
That is an extra 5% chance to succeed on everything you ever do. If it hasn't been useful yet, it certainly will be over the course of the game.
>>
>>46628513
Maybe. Like I said, we'll see. With the game being so low numbers, a +1 should feel significant, but it just hasn't yet. In fact, it feels like something that's there solely so the DM can justify throwing retardedly powerful encounters against us because "oh hey, it's a legendary item which you shouldn't have until 17, you should basically be a god right now."
>>
So /5eg/, how do you guys typically roleplay your monster races? How smart are you kobolds and orcs? Do you use accents or cultures to influence them? Do they ever interact with your group or become playable, or are they just walking xp bags?
>>
>>46628676
Kobolds usually have dialect variations across even clans; generally a pidgin of draconic and various local dialects; "Kobold" is really the language of the main civilized Kobold region, it and draconic can work in a pinch but tribal kobolds are likely to think you look down on them.

Orcs depend on setting; for my game I doubled the number of language slots, divided the cost of learning a new one by half, and made a rough list of the hundred or so languages that matter (generally at least 3-5 million speakers) in the game world. If I was using straight FR without houseruling, I'd say that again they have dialect differences across regions and subraces (fwiw there's some setting material that tends to imply that the language thing in P&P is a gross oversimplification of actual Faerun).
>>
>>46628676
Goblins: Shrill, annoying, dumb, speak in the third person
Bugbears: hoarse goblins
Hobgoblins: they don't speak much, but usually terse, disciplined and full of military jargon
Orcs: Gruff, brutish, hoarse, don't use certain verbs, particularly "to be"
Kobolds: gargly, panicky, fond of single-word sentences
Dragons: Depends on the color
>>
>>46628676
YOU NO TAKE CANDLE
>>
If you wanted to pick a real world language to borrow words from to use as Sylvan in game what would you pick? I need something with pronunciation that isn't too hard to figure out.
>>
>>46624089
>Is the toolbox comment referring to my versatile "toolbox" method of thinking, where I constantly try to solve various problems with different mental paradigms and tools? If so, I appreciate that poster's discerning wit.
Amazing.
>>
>tfw someone in my group seems interested by the Bard remix I've been tweaking
Basically Bard as a Half-Caster. It more or less solves one of the main abuses it could do with Secrets, gets a slightly revamped spell list to not make it a full blown nerf (the Bard unique spells are slightly releveled), it keeps (fewer) cantrips, and pilfers a few abilities either from Rogue and Fighter or from 2E kits.

I'm hoping we won't find out in play that it's as shit as Ranger.
>>
>>46629134
Depends on your setting but if you're using vanilla elves I would recommend Gaellic
>>
>>46629211
>bard as half caster
Nah m8

If you want to make a bardish half caster you should make a new class, like a warchanter or something
>>
>>46629316
>Gaelic
>easy to pronounce
If you're not Scottish I'd never expect you to get Milngavie, Kilconquhar or Garioch right. Hell, most English people I've met can't even pronounce the /x/ sound in "Loch".
>>
>>46629316
My system is Irish Gaelic for Wood, Scottish Gaelic for Wild, Breton for Moon, Welsh for Sun, Old Brythonic for Eladrin (so the same character would be named respectively Brigid, Brighde, Rivanon, Rhiannon, Rigantona).

>>46629342
I prefer the name bard for it honestly, but I've considered alternatives (Orator, Augur, Rake, Ovate, some of which admittedly fit a 9-level caster better)
>>
File: Landscape-Sesshu.jpg (30 KB, 300x476) Image search: [Google]
Landscape-Sesshu.jpg
30 KB, 300x476
>get a group together
>none of us have played RPGs before
>DM, because I have my shit together the most, and also I enjoy reading rules and learning how things work
>play LMoP
>manage to wipe the party during the 5th session
>now DMing my own campaign

Advice?
>>
So I just realized making my character that Monks get free artisan tools or instrument proficiency.

What would be thematically appropriate artisan tools for a street thug, scotirish, urchin monk? Ideally something that would theoretically run off of dexterity and or wisdom. They don't have to be listed tools by the way, my GM would be okay if I showed up with something not in the book but that makes sense.
>>
>>46629444
Wood carving

Poisoner if you want to go Jean Baptiste Grenouille about it.
>>
>>46629316
I usually run with the canon established by my players. One of my long-time players started using French for Elvish, so that's what it sounds like. Drow is Spanish, Dwarvish is Yiddish, Gnomish is German, Halfling is Portuguese.

Sylvan isn't the same as Elvish but uses the same script, at least in 5e. I'm using it for the language of fey creatures and shifters.

I'm a native English speaker from America, so there's little chance I'll pick up Gaelic pronunciation without help.
>>
>>46628676
I don't do silly voices or accents, so all of the monster races just coincidentally happen to sound like me, as do all the men and women of the other races.

However, I run monsters assuming all sentient monsters are of human intelligence. Goblins are basically just Somalians, after all, and Orcs are basically (in my setting) ISIS.

I don't like kobolds because I grew up on Everquest and there's some dissonance there with kobolds and gnolls and it's a long dumb story, so I don't include them.
>>
>>46629400
Yeah all those names fit a full caster better than a half
You should think more martial than bard. Bard is a guy that sings and shit to weave the magic of music, this guy should be a fighter or rogue that just happens to use music/performance.

A good idea (IMO) would be to build a fighter 10/bard 10 and a rogue 10/bard 10 and see what they get, then make them into subclasses

For instance:
Main class: Warchanter (medium armor, simple weapons plus one or two extras, like longsword half-casting etc, main feature grants temp hp in combat to self or ally as a reaction 1/rest later on can grant advantage or something and more uses)

Subclass: Warlord (extra attack, fighting styles, greataxe, greatsword, maul, rapier, heavy armor prof. Feature now grants more temp hp/healing/can be used for maneuvers)

Subclass: Infiltrator (finesse weapons, thieves tools, expertise. Auto-crits durprised enemies, can use feature to do cunning action or give others cunning action, later on gives evasion or something roguey)
>>
>>46629501
I like that actually
Though rather than drow being Spanish, I'll make it undercommon, since all my players speak spanish

But yeah, french elvish is not bad at all, might make german dwarvish and such
>>
>>46629501
Also Gaellic isn't really as hard as it seems, I was born and raised in a hispanic country and learning Gaellic for me was easier than English and German
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 32

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.