[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hello /tg/ I have minimal experience in tabletop RPGs and I kinda
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 3
File: 1452745707305.jpg (75 KB, 500x540) Image search: [Google]
1452745707305.jpg
75 KB, 500x540
Hello /tg/
I have minimal experience in tabletop RPGs and I kinda want to go somewhere beyond just DMing DnD 5e.

So therefore I ask the entire community:
What is your all-time favorite tabletop game?

(Other forms of tabletops accepted besides RPGs as well such as miniatures and cards)
>>
chinese checkers
>>
>>46659034
Does that mean someone fucked an aliens throat so hard it was rendered unconscious and pregnant?

Well, I guess if the baby manages to burst out of its chest the father must have been likewise totally fucking absurd.
>>
File: 1436396728338.png (276 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
1436396728338.png
276 KB, 1280x720
>>46659034
I can't pick favorites, but I think I can help at least.

If I'd have to pick one favorite, I'd say maybe Apocalypse World and the related Powered by the Apocalypse Games. They're focused on character dynamics and doing fast paced games with little to zero prep time. It takes a very specific kind of GM style to make it work, and it's rather newbie friendly (most of what you need is just straight on the character sheets). And as a result /tg/ thinks it is the devil The original game is post apocalyptic but others handle different settings and genres, though they all play similarly with the same system skeleton. I like Monster of the Week for stuff like Buffy & Supernatural.

Maid RPG and Teenagers From Outer Space are both anime inspired games but they're made specific for comedy. It's great fun to have a oneshot of one of these as a sort of break between more serious games or just for something low prep and casual.

ORE, or one role engine is something to look into you want something different in terms of mechanics. Instead of standard number results or successes, you match nice together, which gives both the result on whether or not you succeeded and details about how you do it: mainly like speed, damage, or where an attack hits, all in one roll. There's different systems that work under it, like a couple super hero based ones and Nemesis, which is my personal favorite system for horror rpgs.

I've also grown really fond of Savage Worlds recently. I don't think it really does anything special, but it's a very flexible system you can use for all sorts of genres that I think it hits a nice sweet spot in customization and tactical stuff and being easy to understand and quick to make characters for. Savage Worlds Deluxe Explorer's Edition is only $10, so it's great for games in meat space with other people since it's easier for everyone to get their own copy. There's also A LOT of different settings and free online material for it.
>>
>>46659034
Fate is probably my favorite RPG that I've played repeatedly. I like being able to take whatever I have in mind and put it into the game without too much fiddling, and Fate does it quite well from both the player and GM perspective. HeroQuest 2nd ed. looks very good at this as well, although I've not played it.

For settings, Hellfrost (Savage Worlds) is the one that looks the most interesting. I love the eternal winter theme and they did a great job of making it omnipresent in the setting, from spells and races based around the endless cold to survival rules for traveling through it. Glorantha (RuneQuest/HeroQuest) looks very nice as well, with an involved political setting and an original take on how magic/divinity works.

If you want board games, then I guess Descent and/or Star Wars: Imperial Assault would give somewhat of a RPG-ish experience. Or just give Ticket to Ride a try for a generic recommendation.
>>
>>46659034
>What is your all-time favorite tabletop game?
I like different ones for different things, but my go-to's are AD&D 2e and GURPS.
>>
Right now I'm enamored with Strike!, but I'm somewhat fickle.
>>
Mongoose Traveller

I also loved GURPS for years but nowadays I find myself too lazy to play it, or at least too lazy to run it.

AD&D2e

It's kind of shit but I enjoyed AFMBE about ten years ago and my group still breaks it out once a year or so for a one-shot.
>>
File: wresup.jpg (270 KB, 500x745) Image search: [Google]
wresup.jpg
270 KB, 500x745
My favourite tabletop games recently are Powered by the Apocalypse games like Apocalypse World. The real advantage of these games, beyond their 'codification of good gameplay' is how fast they are to get up and running. Character creation is a snap because all your rules are on your sheet.

The best/most well know ones:
Apocalypse World: The original. Great game, well-designed, but suffers from unclear writing in places and unclear play patterns for some characters (e.g. how Battlebabe is meant to play is unintuitive). Some people are turned off by the sex moves for some reason.

Dungeon World: old-school DnD by way of PbtA. Explains the rules more clearly than AW, but is overall a worse and less-focused game.

Monsterhearts: write a love story better than Twilight. It's basically 'being an emotionally manipulative teen - the game'. Really good to play if you have the right group for it. Having some women in it, rather than all being fat guys, helps to balance both the tone and make things a little more comfortable.

WORLD WIDE WRESTLING RPG: Is actually really really good. It's wrestling. The whole of wrestling, like deciding when to shoot and trying to build your career and all that.
>>
>>46659034
I fucking love Unknown Armies.
>>
>>46659034
Rogue Trader, or more generally the 40k rpg stuff. it's always been my favorite system despite a few hiccups it has. Often when we play we tweak the XP system in particular, so that instead of 500 XP per session you get a certain amount of XP for following certain personality traits and flaws.

But on to the things I like, first of all is how with all the books you can pretty much do anything from all of 40k, we've played special forces behind enemy lines, space pirates, 4 chaos space marines (one of each god) lead by a wimpy demagogue human (who was undivided), we've done space explorers going into the unknown, and over the summer we might pick it up again with a team of enslaved minor heretics and xenos pressed into service of a renegade inquisitor ala suicide squad style.

I love the fact that WS and BS are different from STR and DEX, as it means just because you are a good sniper or swordsman it doesn't mean you are very dexterous or strong. I like how it uses your AG to determine how fast move. The armoury section is always fun, and the critical damage tables are positively psychopathic.

I enjoy aquisiton tests and such instead of keeping track of and hoarding money. The fact that you can tell immediately how likely a success is beaucse of the D100 system is nice as well.

I think that's about it really.
>>
>>46659034
DnD 5e

Warmachine
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.