[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
If you could take any two game mechanics and put them together,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 10
File: ribbon_tg.png (219 KB, 354x454) Image search: [Google]
ribbon_tg.png
219 KB, 354x454
If you could take any two game mechanics and put them together, what would you choose?
>>
Rerolls are just about everyone's favorite mechanic. They turn potential failures into successes, and serve to counter the inevitable stroke of bad luck that's waiting to happen.

The other mechanic I really like is being able to assist other players. Helping yourself is great, but abilities that grant other people bonuses, especially as reactions or at instant speed, tend to be my favorites.

The obvious combination are specialized "fate points" or actions that enable a player to assist another player and provide them a reroll. Something like if a player fails to dodge a fireball, another player can step in and make some sort of sacrifice (an arbitrary point, an action, taking the damage instead, etc.) to give that player a second chance.
>>
>>46561225
Spin the Bottle and Charades
>>
Counterspells and rogue skills.

In the fighter-mage-thief trinity, the fighter should outfight the thief, the mage should blast apart the fighter, and the rogue should have a large advantage against the mage.

So, they should have several different ways to just tell a mage "no." Like throwing a dagger or flashbang to distract them, or some other use of their speed. And, there's nothing quite as dickish as a counterspell, so it fits thieves perfectly.

Forcing mages to avoid being within 20ft of a rogue or risk having their spell disrupted also puts another layer of considerations they have to make, aside from "hide behind the fighter".
>>
>>46561439

I just got a total Monster Hunter Vibe out of this

>Dick ass wizard uses fly to get away from theif and fighter
>Acting all smug and shit
>theif pulls out a flash bang and chucks it at the wizard
>Wizard running mans out of the air and squirms on the ground
>Fighter Lvl 3's the Wizard into oblivion
>>
The character creation from GURPS and the combat mechanics from Burning Wheel.
>>
File: B5yip2VCEAAe335.jpg (54 KB, 600x337) Image search: [Google]
B5yip2VCEAAe335.jpg
54 KB, 600x337
>>46561404
Twister+Strip Poker
>>
File: cestree_tg.png (325 KB, 444x568) Image search: [Google]
cestree_tg.png
325 KB, 444x568
>>46561513
>>46561439
I like this! Wasn't there a fantasy novel sort of like that? Wizards could take on armies all by themselves, but a team of highly trained assassins could take out a wizard, but an army can block a group of assassins?
>>
>>46561618

That's a strange dynamic.

All I know is, Rathalos are wizards and you need copius amounts of flash bombs.

The next thing we need to figure out is how to deal with ass-hole wizards who can some how earth meld.
>>
>>46561618
I don't know if there is a novel like that, but there should be.
>>
File: MTG.jpg (481 KB, 595x786) Image search: [Google]
MTG.jpg
481 KB, 595x786
>take the best mechanics of MTG
>combine them with the best mechanics of D&D

Why hasn't this been done yet?
>>
>>46561225
Fate points and quicktime events.
>>
>>46561320
I agree. Inspiration is the only good thing about D&D 5E, my hack of the game (among other things) increases the amount of Inspiration characters start with after a long rest to 1 + Wis modifier, and replaces Help action so it's a Reaction wherein you spend Inspiration to give an ally Advantage to a roll.

It's part of my overhaul that makes all attributes beneficial for all characters regardless of class. For example, Barbarians rocking Wis and Cha aren't significantly worse than ones that pump Str and Con, and have several advantages that your typical Barbarian doesn't have, such as the aforementioned Inspiration pool increase.
>>
File: shots.jpg (27 KB, 948x533) Image search: [Google]
shots.jpg
27 KB, 948x533
Drinking game mechanics as a role-playing game mechanic.
>>
File: 57-xstrike1.gif (678 KB, 512x384) Image search: [Google]
57-xstrike1.gif
678 KB, 512x384
>>46561225
I just want a game that has Chrono Trigger style dual and triple techs.
>>
>>46564375

I remember reading a article saying the wizards didnt think there wasn't enough interest to make it
>>
>>46564375

Dungeon Command?

You draw cards and have a hand of power/creature cards you can play, you tap creatures to attack or do other effects, you choose to block with creatures or take morale damage (when your morale drops to 0, you lose).

All within a 4E-lite, tactical miniatures skirmish system.
>>
>>46566182
>Dungeon Command
How long has this existed and why have I never heard of this.
>>
File: pic1314559.jpg (260 KB, 963x755) Image search: [Google]
pic1314559.jpg
260 KB, 963x755
>>46566244

Since some time in the 4E era.

I think it was more popular as a source of pre-painted miniatures sets than as a game itself.

Plus you need at least two boxes to play, each have their own minis, cards, and boards. The boards are like big jigsaw pieces that connect to each other, so there's some variety in how you set up the game.

It's fun but I guess it gets stale. More expansions (not full sets) would have helped.
>>
>>46561225
XCOM style game set in Assassin's Creed universe.
Running an assassins' local bureau has never been so much fun.
>>
File: IMG_1144.jpg (472 KB, 1586x1600) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1144.jpg
472 KB, 1586x1600
>>46566487
>I think it was more popular as a source of pre-painted miniatures sets than as a game itself.

I can see that. It seems like a good way to get a specific theme of miniatures for an adventure you might be planning, though $40 is a little past the point I'd ever spend on them.
>>
File: BzjIU4SCMAAf0pr.jpg large.jpg (131 KB, 768x1024) Image search: [Google]
BzjIU4SCMAAf0pr.jpg large.jpg
131 KB, 768x1024
>>46566848
Well the alternative with WizKids minis is to buy boosters and get lucky, or buy singles which can be expensive (depending on what you're after).

If you just want a bunch of goblins, then Tyranny of Goblins set has you sorted. From the videos and pictures I've seen, the Wizards of the Coast offices has boxes of them lying around for this purpose.
>>
>>46564375
>>46565943
Wizards have said they don't want D&D and MTG to mix.

Something about how "In D&D you team up with your friends to fight monsters, and in MTG you team up with monsters to fight your friends"

No, it doesn't make sense.
>>
>>46568317
If anything, it's actually just to keep the departments separate. Employees who work between two major divisions are a hasslet, the heads of each department would likely never manage to agree on budgets on responsibilities, and with any collaboration being a simultaneous competition between their already established franchises, it's just not a good mix.

It's sometimes easier to have rival franchises from separate companies to work together than it is for internal departments to collaborate on large projects.
>>
>>46565831
>>46561320

Neat!
>>
>>46565889
In FATE, the optimal way to fight is to repeatedly tag your target (or ally) with situational modifiers and then someone uses one giant strike.

Which describes most of the dual techs, though not X-Strike.
>>
>>46561225
Incomplete information plus Dexterity.

Like Welcome To The Dungeon and Bandu.
>>
>>46561225
I've enjoyed the Yahtzee-style roll mechanic, especially where there is no one "good" face on the die and it's just a factor of what you want to attempt. It would be nice to see it synced up with a RPG somehow, perhaps with accuracy/damage/parry on dice and how many you get determines who effective that part of the attack was that round (for a combat example).
>>
>>46561225
FATAL's 4d100/4 rolling system and Numenara's character sheet.
>>
>>46577555
That's not bad, but I'd have to play FATE, and I wouldn't wish that on my worst enemy.
>>
>>46581467
Sounds a little bit like ORE.
>>
>>46581467
>>46583661
No, it's closer to the FFG dice system, I'd say.

Having the dice themselves roll up options is certainly like ORE, though, you're not wrong either. Seems this situation is a good example of why those systems are good.
>>
>>46565878
My friends tried this. Certain magical abilities required a drink or toke. The idea being that you would sacrifice your ability to think clearly in exchange for arcane power.

The game didn't last as long as we'd hoped and we just ended up watching horror movies completely trashed. Not a complete waste.
>>
Rolled 6, 6, 2, 1, 1, 2, 3, 4, 1, 3 = 29 (10d6)

>>46581467
I liked this idea, too.
Say you got 5 plus X dice to roll, X based on your ability score, and after they were rolled, you could reroll up to your skill of dice.
You would keep 5.
So a STR 20 Fighter with (Level+Prof) in Dungeons & Dragons 5e would roll 10 dice and could reroll 3.
Rollan to test.
>>
Rolled 4, 5 = 9 (2d6)

>>46583954
On second thought, that gives a lot of material to work with, so there would have to likely have to be unique rules for it.
I'm going to gamble on getting 12345, so I'm going to reroll the extra 3 and 2, in the same example.
>>
>>46583984
I got it, it seems, but I'm tired enough that I'm losing focus.
Gonna keep that one tabbed in my mind, though.
It's a good idea, original anon.
>>
>>46561225
Wild Fields 1st edition without shooting mechanics + Wild Fields 2nd edition shooting mechanics

The first one is absolutely gorgeous when it comes to combat and fencing, but got convoluted rules for ranged weapons, especially firearms.
The second one got dog-shit awful mechanics for everything, but somehow the ranged combat is fucking awesome.
>>
>>46581480
>4d100/4

I'm having a hard time imagining a more convoluted rolling system that someone might actually try. You'd have to crawl over a hundred better ideas in order to reach that one.
>>
>>46583954
>>46583984
>>46584003
I was thinking more like a 6-sided die with:
>+1 accuracy
>+2 accuracy
>+1 power
>+2 power
>+1 defense
>+2 defense
Then you could reroll, perhaps, twice with whichever you wanted. The idea is that none of the dice faces are necessarily bad, so that it's a choice of taking a chance for something better or sticking with the certain result you have. Perhaps you don't like that +1 power but want to try for a +2? But there's a chance you could end up with a defense or accuracy you don't need. Or perhaps a high accuracy roll is what generates a critical hit, and so you reroll to see if you can generate another +1 accuracy required.

Your idea doesn't seem much different from the roll-and-keep system in Legend of the Five Rings. You have a number of dice to roll and a number of dice to keep, so rolling 5k1 means you roll five dice but only keep one of them, while something like 3k3 means rolling three dice and keeping all three. Something like 5k3 would be rolling five dice, then keeping three of them.
>>
>>46571066
Also not good to have two of your own products competing.
>>
>>46561225
>>46561618
These two are adorable.
Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.