[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why are Leprechauns so rarely used in fantasy settings? Also
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2
File: dorfvsleprechaun.png (787 KB, 1366x768) Image search: [Google]
dorfvsleprechaun.png
787 KB, 1366x768
Why are Leprechauns so rarely used in fantasy settings?
Also, obligatory for this thread:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pf4U4UMGhLs
>>
>>46580908

They might be neat, but they're now too often associated with the American-invented holiday as a mascot. You might as well as why there aren't Easter Bunnies and Santas in your setting.

Fey like faeries and stuff get used because they're not overly marketed or associated with a specific holiday. Elves get a pass because of Tolkien and others with the High Elves elf archetype rather than the Keebler kind of elf. No idea what the analogue for the Easter Bunny would be, but I'm going to just say Vizzerdrix and see if that works.
>>
>>46580985
>You might as well as why there aren't Easter Bunnies and Santas in your setting.

Well, why aren't they?
>>
>>46580908
Because they're called gnomes
>>
>>46581003

Because they aren't real.

Well Santa WAS real until he was killed and it was me what done him in.
>>
>>46581078
Gnomes are pictured very different from Leprechauns in most of the settings, and even in Irish folklore they are different beings.
Gnomes are old nature spirits who know everyhting about the woods and want to live in peace with nature.
Leprechauns are just crafty fucks who own a lot of gold and like to fuck around with people.
>>
>>46581230
The leprechaun in your pic is a caricature of Irish people from the early 20th century and bears no relation to their mythical ancestors. "Me pot of gold" etc is all garbage. Gnomes as "old nature spirits who know everything about the woods and want to live in peace with nature" are an invention of D&D. Original Celtic leprechauns lived in toadstools, fixed shoes and wore red pointy hats, like gnomes. Go read some actual texts (start with Samuel Lover and Yeats' Folk Tales) before you continue to make yourself look like a dumbass.
>>
>>46581078
Came here just to post this.
That gives me an idea of Leprechauns being an offshoot of gnomes that either integrated into dwarf culture or had lineage.
>>
>tfw you have Leprechauns in your setting, but they are rare to the point of myth

>save for one who travels around with a cobbler who helps make and clean shoes

And still no one knows he exists except the cobbler.
>>
>>46580908
God, what shit.

Have a superior leprechaun

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xZu_AKGxllY
>>
File: Nikolas_myra.jpg (157 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
Nikolas_myra.jpg
157 KB, 640x480
>>46580985
>ou might as well as why there aren't Easter Bunnies and Santas in your setting.
>not having expansive clerical hierarchies
0/10
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.