[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>Modern era society that focuses on hunting down magic doors
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1
>Modern era society that focuses on hunting down magic doors that lead to dungeons. Said dungeons hold powerful magic items but pop up in random places around the world before fading away a bit later.
>They do this because while it is difficult to reverse engineer the "mystic machine gun of extra shootyness" or "ancient blender of healing food", they tend to be useful for various reasons.
>Traveling through dungeons is just as respectable a job as engineering. Many companies paying mercs to go into dungeons to get the loot to see what they can reverse engineer.
>You have no idea how dangerous a dungeon is until you go in, more dangerous dungeons tend to mean better loot. However the means of telling how long a dungeon will stay before fading is vague, such as "somewhere around 2 months". Never exact.
>If someone is in a dungeon after the door fades, they are stuck there until the door shows up somewhere else. But it might not even be in the same time line or universe so you're more or less screwed.
What would be the best steps for hunting and looting these dungeons? Also how would said doors affect religions assuming that this setting still has the same religion?
>>
>>46576289
>What would be the best steps for hunting and looting these dungeons?

Satellite imagery to find them. Highly-trained and well-equipped teams to loot them, with dedicated transport to get there ahead of the competition.

Governments would probably take great exception to private mercs in their territory so the Mercs could expect to have to work in the shadows, and to end up in firefights with potentially anyone they meet on the way or inside the dungeon.

>Also how would said doors affect religions assuming that this setting still has the same religion?

Fundies would shriek that they're the work of the Devil and the artifacts from them are the tools of Hell. This would be common in the Islamic world, where they would be delcared haram by the Ayatollah and many important conservative Sunni clerics. In the US and Northern Ireland there'd be a minority of politicians who'd bang the fire and brimstone drum, but wouldn't really get anywhere with it.

Apart from the fundies, religions would either do the "mysterious ways amirite? xD" thing they always do, or not care at all in the first place.
>>
>>46576507
>In the US and Northern Ireland

Oh yeah, forgot to mention Africa. And the Pope could go either way, come to think of it.
>>
>>46576507
You would also need certain equipment depending on where the "door" is now that I think of it. Because if it can just show up wherever, even in thin air with no wall. If the "show up wherever thing" is true than you would need different equipment to get to a door at the top of a active volcano than one that's at sea floor. Also depending on what's actually inside of said dungeon.
>>
Drones to trigger traps, kill beasties and map the dungeon. Why even send people? Hand-wavium radio jamming so drones don't work? What about hard wired/teathered drones?

I can't imagine governments allowing private companies to profit vs keeping it all for themselves so there would have to be a plausible reason for that.
>>
>>46577606
>I can't imagine governments allowing private companies to profit vs keeping it all for themselves so there would have to be a plausible reason for that.

Yeah, just like all those government-owned mines in England and America. I sure do love my state-administered farms, too. Resources are always capitalized upon by the state!
>>
How are dungeon critters without missile attacks going to fair against modern weapons?

I'd just gas the whole place carbon monoxide or short lived nerve agent.
>>
>>46577666

The loot described is considerably more rare and valuable then natural resources. Mining of certain critical resources in war time has been federalized
>>
>>46577680
Who said dungeon critters have to use sword and shield? The op said that the doors can send you to another universe entirely if you get stuck in the dungeon. This would mean the easier ones would be skeles with sword and shield while the harder ones would be walking in one a 40k eversor's masturbation session for all we know.
>>
>>46577606
>I can't imagine governments allowing private companies to profit vs keeping it all for themselves so there would have to be a plausible reason for that.
Perhaps the companies are selling the artifacts that they get to the government? That or it does the Shadowrun thing were companies went rampant.
>>
There would certainly be science surrounding the doors. I can only imagine some sort of radiation signature appearing from them that could be detected; that or there would be some sort of consistent motion detective satellite array constantly sending particles to the earths surface, and determining if a given piece of ground instantly got, say, 10 feet higher.

Also, if a door can reappear in a different "timeline", will the artifact not be already plundered from the countless times that it has already appeared in other locations? Could the monsters you find inside the doors simply be travellers from other dimensions/timelines that got trapped inside?

In the real world you would likely send large scale "invasions" of the doors; rather than small scale adventures, they would send in units of a hundred or so people, well equipped enough to make any door a cakewalk (given we can assume that there are already hundreds of plundered combat artifacts). The only way around this would be an arbitrary restriction on doors; perhaps they can only support so many outside lifeforms.

Are countries competing for the doors/artifacts? Are they property of the country they appear on? There are so many logistics questions that need to be answered in order to make a believable and fun universe where this exists, but it could do really well. Godspeed
>>
>>46578524
>There would certainly be science surrounding the doors. I can only imagine some sort of radiation signature appearing from them that could be detected; that or there would be some sort of consistent motion detective satellite array constantly sending particles to the earths surface, and determining if a given piece of ground instantly got, say, 10 feet higher.
I don't see why not.

>Also, if a door can reappear in a different "timeline", will the artifact not be already plundered from the countless times that it has already appeared in other locations? Could the monsters you find inside the doors simply be travellers from other dimensions/timelines that got trapped inside?
Both are very possible, but it's already a weird multi-dimensional dungeon. You can very easily just say that the dungeons are being "restocked" by something so it would attract adventures for it to do whatever to. Either for fun because it sees it as a game or some other reason.

>In the real world you would likely send large scale "invasions" of the doors; rather than small scale adventures, they would send in units of a hundred or so people, well equipped enough to make any door a cakewalk (given we can assume that there are already hundreds of plundered combat artifacts). The only way around this would be an arbitrary restriction on doors; perhaps they can only support so many outside lifeforms.
Perhaps the door difficulty can take into account invasion force and changes itself depending on what universe it is in or how many people are in it? That way invading with a entire army would be just as difficult as sending in 3 guys.
>Are countries competing for the doors/artifacts? Are they property of the country they appear on? There are so many logistics questions that need to be answered in order to make a believable and fun universe where this exists, but it could do really well. Godspeed
Agreed. Just spitballing here.
>>
>>46580537
>it's already a weird multi-dimensional dungeon.
Is there only one dungeon?
I'd been under the impression there were several.
>>
>>46581303
I was referring to a example of a high level dungeon, not all of them as a whole.
>>
>>46581882
Then again the only thing we see are doors, so why can't it be the same dungeon in some way? As if the entire dungeon is a separate reality loosely connected to several other time lines, so you're just going to different "parts" of this odd universe before the door you came in changes it's position.
>>
>>46582011
>the only thing we see are doors
Okay let me correct that, the only thing we see when in our universe are doors.
>>
>>46577606
>Why even send people?
>>46578524
>large scale "invasions

Both solved by a "airlock" allowing only a limited number of sentient/living creatures.
The method the door locks determine if you're over the limit has not been discovered.

Fastest group to get there can get in. But if you don't have the resources to hold the doorway you can't steal the loot as it were.
Meaning the country the door appears in gets the loot since they can send the military to hold the door.

This could be solved by having the doors move to a random place in the world 1 day or x hours before they disappear. So the looting party can exit the dungeon safely.

I like the idea of it being one nearly endless dungeon realm/universe with a race of caretakers that go through and reset traps and restock creatures for mysterious reasons.

Maybe each creature that enters is given a magical stamp, like at a bar, that allows them to operate the "exit" doors.
So the stuff living there can't break out into our worlds but anyone that goes in can get out through any exit door they find.

If you go back to where the door you entered was and its gone you have to find another exit door to get out, with no way to know if you'll come out in your own world.

Could be interesting stories when Dungeon Runners from other worlds exit into ours.
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.