[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Magic: the Gathering Wednesday Flavor General - Grumpy Shaman Edition
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 104
Thread images: 11
File: image.jpg (962 KB, 2835x1580) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
962 KB, 2835x1580
>You are a planeswalker.
>In the vast Multiverse, only you and some other chucklefucks know of the countless worlds beyond your own.

Welcome to the Magic: the Gathering Flavor General thread!

Helpful links:
>Uncharted Realms Archive
http://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/columns/uncharted-realms

ARCHIVE http://www.wizards.com/Magic/Magazine/Archive.aspx?tag=unchartedrealms&description=Uncharted%20Realms

>Savor the Flavor/Taste the Magic archive
ARCHIVE http://www.wizards.com/Magic/magazine/archive.aspx?page=13&tag=savortheflavor&description=taste%20the%20magic

>Planeswalker's Guides
ARCHIVE http://pastebin.com/Ttgtz6A9

>Set Trailers
http://pastebin.com/ayJntkE0

>Current Status of Planeswalkers:
2014: http://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/checking-planeswalkers-2014-06-16
2015: http://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/feature/checking-planeswalkers-2015-2015-08-19

>Doug Beyer's Tumblr
http://dougbeyermtg.tumblr.com/

Reminder: Keep bait, shitposting, and arguments to a minimum--try to focus on lore discussion. No snowflakes in the Wednesday thread. Ignore chandere posts.

We have an IRC for more conversational discussions and no small amount of fucking about: #mtgwaifulore on irc.rizon.net

Starter topic: This week's Uncharted Realms is "All the Cairns of Jund," by Michael Yichao

http://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/uncharted-realms/all-cairns-jund-2015-11-04

How do you think Alara has developed since the Conflux? On a return, would you expect to see the "shards" surviving as factions, or should they have begun to mix and mingle?
>>
>>43462132
I don't see her zombie dragon lasting very long on Jund. It's likely already being rotted from within by fungus's and slimes. The other dragons will see it as an affront to them and wipe her out in short order.

Plus I've never really liked "And I will have my vengeance" characters.

As for how the Shards have been interacting? The flavour text of Monstrous Carabid sums it up pretty nicely.
>What happens when a plane of predators collides with four planes of prey?
>>
>>43462273
Yeah, there's almost certainly war between the shards, but I'm personally wondering whether we'll see them emerge as proper factions. While they had visual and cultural identities before, they didn't understand their situation well enough to set up proper factionalization--there was a lot of internal dissent and so on. And then, in Alara Reborn, everything sort of blurred together.
>>
I wasn't playing when Scars came out. Was there any hint from OG Mirrodin block that Phyrexia was going to wreck their shit?
>>
File: image.png (892 KB, 1419x838) Image search: [Google]
image.png
892 KB, 1419x838
>If Lock/Stock block is set on a new plane, Barrel/Laughs will be five blocks after Theros--just like SOI is five blocks after Innistrad
>If both Lock/Stock and Barrel/Laughs are set on new planes, Ham/Eggs will be four and a half years after Theros--just like SOI is four and a half years after Innistrad
>Checking in with the Planeswalkers (2015) spends a huge amount of time talking about what's going down on Theros
>Theros got a lot of love in Origins, including a new Opalescence variant
>Two of the face commanders from C15 are from Theros, one of them being Daxos as a Returned

Soon.
>>
>>43463273
There were a few, but they were very subtle and you almost had to know what you were looking for. The oil at the beginning of the first book is the main giveaway, but there's also a spinal parasite in Fifth Dawn that heavily hints at Phyrexia.
>>
>>43463347
>elspeth
how is she going to stay relevant when she's got no spark due to being dead as fuck?

at least she has her husbando. Who has no idea who she is.
>>
>>43463520
She's not dead. She's dead-esque.

She doesn't wear the mask, which means according to Theros she hasn't properly passed on.
>>
File: returned.jpg (31 KB, 372x600) Image search: [Google]
returned.jpg
31 KB, 372x600
>>43463587
>creepy featureless elspeth
do you think she'd cover her head to keep from unnerving people or did she not get to that point yet
>>
>>43463520
The Underworld of Theros is weird. It's been confirmed that she still has her spark down there, because you don't "die" as completely as you do on other planes while you're in there.

Those who get out by becoming Returned lose their souls, and the spark would be lost in such a case, but, if she finds another way out, she's fine.

This has been confirmed multiple times at this point. They're doing a Campbellian Hero's Journey.
>>
>>43463761
She would still have a face. The Noston lose their faces because they give up their identities in order to escape. She wouldn't be doing that--she'd be finding another way out.
>>
>>43462273
I tho 40k her zombie dragon is a crazy dragon made of obsidian powered by life consuming Necrotic magic. What the shit is some fungus going to do? Even if it dies, it clearly doesn't require much effort of being back to life, so I think her dragon is the perfect predator for the dragons of Jund, which is exactly what it was created to be.
>>
heliod did nothing wrong come at me elspethfags
>>
>>43464111
Zeus pls
>>
File: Magus-of-the-Wheel-C15.png (339 KB, 350x489) Image search: [Google]
Magus-of-the-Wheel-C15.png
339 KB, 350x489
>That flavor text
Is this what Chandra is teaching? Even in death, Jaya is still more amusing then Chandra.
>>
File: image.jpg (15 KB, 250x250) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
15 KB, 250x250
>tfw no qt kolaghan gf
>>
>>43464944
Sadly it is not the actual flavor text
>>
>>43464296
>implying I'm zeus
>implying i'm not helios
>implying that this changes the fact that heliod did the right thing in destroying a threat to his power
cmon mortal you can do better than that
>>
>>43463966
>What the shit is some fungus going to do?
...are you serious, dude? Fungus is fucking scary. The dragon is a corpse, which means decomposition time. Jund is hot, which speeds the process, and already has a hyperactive food chain.
>>
File: 50[1] (2).jpg (79 KB, 312x445) Image search: [Google]
50[1] (2).jpg
79 KB, 312x445
>>43464944
>She's never coming back
>>
>>43466351
>apply kill spell
>reanimate results
>fungal super dragon with zombie spores

Fuck the food chain, I have black magic.
>>
>>43463761
She has made the mask, but hasn't worn it yet - she's currently in the process of attempting to exhaust every other possible option first before that.
And considering just how much they've been hammering on the Hero's Journey, she's not going to, because doing so would be a permadeath from a narrative standpoint - she wouldn't be Elspeth anymore, she wouldn't be a planeswalker anymore, etc.
>>
Wow, so its been years in magic since the conflux I guess. Its kinda interesting, the Jund shamanism seemed really similar to Nayan beliefs. Their refusal to break the tradition and kill her even though she was a massive threat was alsoa great demonstration in how dumb green can be without being the usual green smash attitude. I would love more stories of characters mixing magic between the shards.
>>
>Conquerors of Tarkir is an ally colour big set followed by a wedge small set
>War on Alara is an enemy colour big set followed by a shard small set
>>
>>43466364

I fucking want this in modern.
>>
>>43466579
Nah, they'll open with conflicts, not two-color. Especially not those two-color setups, which are exactly the opposite of what you want when drafting the relevant three-color combinations.
>>
>They ended the last two blocks on cliffhangers because they knew they were doing 50% new worlds and 50% returning worlds, and also that they were about to double-down on block releases
This better not become a fucking trend.
>>
>>43468017
Well......
>>
>>43464944
>liking jaya
she's not that funny
>>
File: mfw someone's being clever.jpg (237 KB, 760x596) Image search: [Google]
mfw someone's being clever.jpg
237 KB, 760x596
>>43469419
But people like Jaya because she's clever
pic very much related.
>>
>>43466351
Basically what >>43466411 said.

An inherent part of this dragon is its ability to come back with little effort using the lifeforce of other creatures. Great. The dragon is dead and overridden with fungus, which is living. The life force of thatliving thing is then consumed and the dragon stands the fuck back up. That's the whole flavor of Maren, her green fire, and subsequently her dragon.
>>
File: Untitled.png (16 KB, 600x455) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
16 KB, 600x455
Threadly reminder.
>>
>>43469961
Shove off. The Kor had nothing to do with Dominaria's state. Hell Sorin had more to do with it then they did
>>
>>43469635
Yeah, but eventually all that rot is just going to reduce the dragon to sludge.

Plus, again, I don't see why all the dragons of Jund don't just descend upon her.

She's not a planeswalker, so she's not going anywhere. All they have to do is get 6-10 big dragons together and tear her/her beastie to pieces.
>>
>>43470449
Why would they? She didn't kill a dragon, she just raised one that had already died. Besides the dragons of Jund are all about keeping themselves alive. Why would they all suddenly work together, throwing themselves kamikaze-style, at something that'll just get back up?
>>
>2 Ravnica commanders
>2 Theros commanders
>1 Kamigawa commander
>1 Mirrophyrexia commander

I really think the latter should have gotten 2, they're planes we haven't seen in quite a while at this point especially Kamigawa
>>
>>43470612
>2 Ravnica commanders
Three. Don't forget about Uncle.
>>
>>43470565
Because it just declared war on them.
>>
>Elspeth gets to come back to life but Xenagoat has to stay permadead

It just isn't fair.
>>
I know it'll never happen, but I'd love to see a U/B Jace in SOI.

Not permanently, but just have him go mad for a bit.
>>
>>43470880
Elspeth never mind-controlled anyone into killing their boyfriend.

The real injustice is that Heliod gets to live
>>
>>43470919

Like Ajani isn't going to kill him in Return to Theros.
>>
>>43470909
They already did that with Sarkhan, though. And then something similar with Garruk. It'd seem a little repetitive.
>>
>>43470880
Xenagos is very well-written as a completely unlikeable person.
>>
>>43470968

I wish SOI was Liliana, Garruk, Tibalt, Ashiok, and someone new.

Really miffed that Jace is there.
>>
>>43470957
Ajani truly is the hero magic deserves.
>>
>>43470909
Or maybe Jace goes U/R from yaoi-ing Ral so much...

>>43470997
Look at it this way, we now know Sorin won't die. Probably.
>>
>>43471060

I love my yiffy husband.

In all seriousness, I hope they get rid of the Origins Five focus; it would free Elspeth up to be the face of Monowhite, and then Gideon could be Boros like he deserves to be.

>>43471092

If they kill Sorin, will you stop posting?
>>
>>43471297
It would be extremely painful
>>
>>43471297
>If
I'm seriously beginning to think that the "Shadows over Innistrad" drop last year was actually someone who had been fired from WotC.
>>
File: lies.png (58 KB, 550x750) Image search: [Google]
lies.png
58 KB, 550x750
>>43470880
because elspeth has a better reason to come back compared to xenagos
>>
>>43471399

Or, y'know, a perfectly logical idea given the problem of "how do we make a Gothic horror setting fresh" when your available tools include "explicitly Lovecraftian monsters."

It isn't exactly rocket science.
>>
>>43463761
Well, it's her soul that has the spark, not her body, right?
So if she split, we would have an eidolon planeswalker, right? I'd be down.
>>
>>43471574

If she split, then she's technically dead and her spark goes away. Death destroys the spark.
>>
>>43470449
I don't think the dragon cares. It's basically a dragon skeleton fused with obsidian and powered by a soul furnace. It very clearly gives 0 fucks.
>>
>>43470383
With Dominaria?
>>
>>43474257
He made a bunch of deal with the devil type proposals across the multiverse before he was forced to become a glorified janitor.
>>
http://markrosewater.tumblr.com/post/132556780753/and-the-off-limit-ones-arent-even-necessarily

W H A T
H
A
T
>>
>>43474526
I don't know how to feel about this.

Kamigawa was a pretty big flop all things considered, but at least it was relatively original.
>>
>>43470612
Well, I don't think anyone was expecting for Alara to get one of the stories, so it's likely that the other slot will also go to a plane with only one commander.

A Kamigawan story would just be filler, even if it says Tamiyo returned from Innistrad. Maro says we're unlikely to return, so anything there is fan wanking.

I feel a New Phyrexia story is much more likely. Direct confirmation of what we've gleaned from side mentions (that Sheoldred is dead, Urabrask is missing, and Elesh Norn is Mother of the Machines) would be nice. It also tides us over until the inevitable return to New Phyrexia.
>>
>>43474526
>>43474591
Well, disregard my doubts of next week's UR article being definitely New Phyrexia. If Kamigawa is coming back, it'll need more of a presence in new players minds than just Tamiyo.
>>
>>43474591
I hope you're ready for Samurai and Ninja plane with no confusing kami or anything.
>>
>>43469961
That you're a tumblrina?
Why gee thanks, I almost would have forgotten that.
>>
So judging by Meren, Kaalia, Nefarox, and the Alaran Cascade cards from Planechase 2, the five shards have mixed pretty good by now.
>>
>>43474875
we got a mini flavor article on Ezuri
http://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/my-favorite-flavor/ezuris-predation-2015-11-03
>>
>>43474731
>Maro says we're unlikely to return, so anything there is fan wanking.

How long ago did he say this? Japanese folklore is pretty fresh and the block is over a decade old at this point anyways
>>
>>43475596
It didn't sell well and they arent' totally sure why
>>
>>43474875
>>43475539
Yeah, I know.

I meant to say disregard my thoughts of next week's UR article being New Phyrexia.

Since Kamigawa has had a point in its favor (Maro's response) I feel like next week's UR article could equally be Nee Phyrexia or Kamigawa.
>>
>>43475449
That was true even when Alara Reborn came out, as there were already Bant knights replacing body parts with Etherium, Vedalken going to Naya to become shamans, and Grixis black mana fucking up Bant

Sadly, the story of Meren doesn't really tell us anything new about the plane
>>
>>43462132
There weirdest thing about that UR to me was that one of the Shamans turned into a Bear. Isn't all the wildlife on Jund very reptilian?
>>
>>43475697
It seems like the article still focused on the Conflux before the planes united. It doesn't give us much insight, though it was fun to read about some of the traditions on Jund.
>>
>>43475801
It must have been post unity or she wouldn't have been able walk to Grixis.
>>
>>43475840
There were people traveling between the shards during the Conflux. At the very least it doesn't seem like much has changed on Jund in the several years she was gone.
>>
>>43475876
Well they're entire regions of the world. They didn't just get slammed on top of each other.
>>
>>43475955
Yeah, there has to be huge sections of each world that haven't even heard of the conflux. Maybe in Bant and Esper, but no one is running around the various tribes of Naya telling them about their new friendly knight neighbors and weird dragons that are thousands of miles away.
>>
>>43475981
That's what I had assumed happened, with there being parts of Alara that were still basically unaffected.
>>
>>43476033
>I haven't heard from Kyle in FOREVER
>Holy shit, when did all these knights get here?
>>
>>43474526
Yes! The more Tamiyo the better.
>>
I still don't get Alara, is it planet-like and the shards are continents or more like a literal plane where there is an infinite horizon (with no curvature) and there is a phisical place where the shards converge?
>>
>>43476606
I think they kinda got mixed together into a big clusterfuck
>>
>>43474526
Bullshit, he can't just announce a setting. He's just fucking around and being an asshole about it.

Also is he really THAT important in the company to public say his co-workers did a bad job, aka breaking the color pie? Is not like everything pass through him, right?

What annoys me the most is that he's an attention whore at heart.
>but he's so close to the costumers! He's muh friend!
No, he's only interested in your money to feed his family like everyone else. There's no need for him to be the face of WotC.

I'm not critizing his work because I don't know what cards did he make, I dislike his actitude.
>>
File: meow meow kitty kitty.jpg (125 KB, 700x500) Image search: [Google]
meow meow kitty kitty.jpg
125 KB, 700x500
>>43476788
What about his Catitude?
He does have a kitty cat.
>>
>>43476788
He can criticize the decisions of his coworkers because criticism isn't inherently an insult. Just as I can criticize your inability to spell certain words properly. It is spelled "attitude", by the way.
>>
>>43474526
Magic has quite a large Japanese playerbase at this point, so going back to kamigawa sometime soon isn't too farfetched even if it did poorly all those years ago
>>
>>43465346
Yes it is
>>
>>43475760
I imagine there are still bears on the other Shards, Bant would be my guess. Maybe they saw one there while scouting or raiding.
>>
>>43479403
Still, on Jund, that basically makes him the Shaman of blind kittens. Why pick a lame spirit animal like a bear when you can be a dinosaur that explodes into smaller dinosaur plants?
>>
>>43479460
Maybe no one on Jund knows how to deal with bears, this is an animal who's original name is lost to human history because they were THAT scary.

That or he never got to see the flower dinosaurs of Naya before he went back home.
>>
>>43479403
>>43479460
>>43479514

>"What on Alara is that?"
>"That's a bear. Stay back, they're rather dangerous."
>"Is it going to start breathing fire?"
>"What? No! It's just a bear."
>"Ah, so it must spit poison then."
>"What sort of-"
>"Wait, no. Don't tell me. It bleeds acid! And its hide is as strong as stone!"
>"No! None of that! It's a Bear! It's large, and has big teeth and claws!"
>"That's it? Ha! My sister does all that. And even she can spit poison!"
>>
>>43462132
Where can I find more magic concept art? Havent played the game since Ravnica but those drawings are pretty inspirational for a game Im working on.
>>
>>43480028
A few different sources.
>Planeswalker's Guide to [NEW_PLANE]
>A rare art-based article released every now and again.
>Brief glimpses of concept art when a block is first announced half a year in advanced, usually at a con.

For Ravnica specifically, check here:
>http://archive.wizards.com/Magic/magazine/article.aspx?x=mtg/daily/feature/214a
>http://archive.wizards.com/Magic/magazine/Article.aspx?x=mtg/daily/feature/231b
>>
>>43480054
Appreciated man
>>
>>43480079
Not a problem.
>>
File: 1440862991685.jpg (620 KB, 1002x1169) Image search: [Google]
1440862991685.jpg
620 KB, 1002x1169
>>43476549
Tamiyo is love
Kamigawa has great waifus
>>
>>43463273
All the Mycosynth was very Phyrexian-ish in nature, and I seem to recall people wondering whether Karn had taken inspiration from Phyrexia or what.

Memnarch's fllavor text very much suggests Phyrexia as well.
>>
>>43470997
Wait wait, when did we get confirmation Jace is there?
>>
>>43468017
>tfw Elspeth was one of your favorite planeswalkers
>tfw KTK and FRF Tarkir was your favorite plane
>tfw you were really hoping to see the Eldrazi completely devour a plane in their first full-block appearance
Iterative disappointment is crushing.
>>
>>43483883
He's in the key art of the set.
>>
>>43483920
>having faith in wotc
>>
>>43483935
When/where have we seen anything other than the teaser trailer?
>>
>>43484023
Mothership.
>>
>>43483920
M-maybe Kozilek'll eat the rest? Maybe? Hopefully?
>>
>>43483883
Uncharted Realms. Ugin told Jace to go to Innistrad and hit up Sorin to figure out what he did with Nahiri. Doesn't mean he's in the set, though. As long as BabyJace is in Standard, he's fair game for being onscreen. (Just like Ugin was this set.)
>>
>>43485418
I'd rather have Kozilek get fucked like Ulamog did
Thread replies: 104
Thread images: 11

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.