[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Non-magic TCG
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 6
File: image.jpg (88 KB, 497x547) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
88 KB, 497x547
After been a long time magic they have decided to finally look at some of the alternatives out there, what's good trading card game?
>>
>>43459890
Have a look at LCGs and Deckbuilders.
>>
Conquest is the most unique card game Ive ever played and is worth a look.
>>
>>43460203
>Deckbuilders
Why the everliving FUCK do people keep reccomending deckbuilders? Apart from cards they have fuck-all to do with TCGs.

>>43459890
Have a look at FFG Living Card Games
>Netrunner
>WH40k Conquest
>Game of Thrones Second Edition
>Star Wars
>Lord of the Rings

Also, Doomtown Reloaded, another LCG.

As for CCGs, any other than Magic are sadly 100% shit. Artworks and clusterfuck mechanics aside, the japanese games are all 100% rippoffs that try to extract maximum profit from the retards playing them, by virtue of powercreeping like there's no tomorrow.
Western CCGs are practically nonexistant and usually have worse artworks and mechanics, not to mention no fucking playerbase.

The problem with FFG's LCGs is, that Conquest is rapidly dying, Star Wars is plain fucking bad and Game of Thrones is dead on arrival, thanks to complete incompetence and mismanagement of the transition and supply of coresets.

So, I hope for you that you either like Asymmetrical Cyberpunk 1v1 ONLY (Netrunner) or Cooperative Fantasy (LotR), because other than that you are pretty much fucked.
>>
>>43460298
Well Pokémon and Yigioh were pretty big back in the day. But yeah.

Force of will and Weiß Schwarz are pretty popular in Japan but as far as I can tell they don't do anything magic doesn't other than offer some much needed competition. Game mechanics seem all but identical
>>
>>43460357
>Pokémon
Forgot this one.
Pokémon has surprisingly decent mechanics. Again with the powercreep, since it's a japanese game, but it's dirt cheap compared to other games. If you can stomach Pokémon, it's playable.

>YGO
YGO is the prime example of everything that's wrong with japanese CCGs. Busy artworks of varying quality, bad layout, asinine gamedesign, fucked mechanics, progress through powercreep and high prices.

>>43460357
>Force of will and Weiß Schwarz are pretty popular in Japan
Weiß Schwarz is practically Otakubait: The Waifuing. Of course it's popular in Japan, you can play with all your favourite waifus!
The game is pure shit, though, not to mention the prices.
>>
>>43460298
Because they offer everything most people want out of a TCG while being far more accessible at a fraction of the price.
They don't offer hardcore tournament gameplay, but that's only a concern for the super-dedicated TCG players.

>>43460357
Weiß Schwarz couldn't be further removed from Force of Will and Magic.
>>
>>43460212
I second this - great game. Very skill based, luck plays minor difference. You lose because you've built subpar deck and/or missplayed badly.
>>
>>43460428
>Because they offer everything most people want out of a TCG
No they fucking don't, unless you are looking for a Storm or High Tide style of gameplay.
>>
>>43460786
What does that even mean?
>>
>>43460298

What about Epic? Ashes: Rise of the Phoenixborn?
>>
>>43460428
I don't know what you mean by Storm and High Tide but I think the deck builder experience is fundamentally different from a collectible card game.

>>43460417
>>43460786
>>43460428
A playful super well and it's in pretty much identical to magic apart the genius collusion of a separate mana deck.

How does Weiß Schwarz differ?
>>
>>43465567
No mana, no atk/def split, no deck out, face-down cards to track damage and resources, power curve keys off of taken damage, front and back row, trigger checks...
>>
>>43466658
That is different from magic, here is the bigger question? Is it fun?
>>
>>43463465
As it stands, the game is practically nonexistant and due to the typical "try to compete with the Magic Art department and lose" and next to no marketing push, it'll probably stay that way. It just doesn't feel like a sleeper hit that will change the face of CCG land. More like "will exist for a while and then sink like a stone".

>>43465567
>I don't know what you mean by Storm and High Tide
They are pretty much two of the most noninteractive decks in Magic. You just do your own thing, combo through and jerk off while ignoring your opponent to the best of your abilities. Sometimes, like in deckbuilders, you have to acknowledge that they are there, but only barely.
>>
>>43469251
From a casual player's perspective, sure.
>>
File: 1258589964073.jpg (230 KB, 1020x1377) Image search: [Google]
1258589964073.jpg
230 KB, 1020x1377
In terms of older games, I was a big fan of On The Edge, which was sortof like if Magic was Un-rules all the times. Super fun, and can be bought for real cheap, but the cards are pretty ugly in hindsight.

Vampire: The Eternal Struggle (AKA Jyhad) is one of the best multiplayer card games ever, still a super lot of fun, but it can be pretty byzantine-seeming for a new player. There's a cool dude on ebay that sells a set of seven decks, all of which are pretty good and easy to understand, decently balanced, etc. Fifty bucks, I think.

There's also the Star Wars CCG by Decipher, which is pretty cool, and was number 2 against Magic for a number of years until they lost the licence. Also very complicated, but once you get the hang of it, it's not too bad. A few years later, Decipher made a new version of it without the Star Wars licence called "Wars", which you can buy booster boxes of for, like, eight bucks.

Don't even bother with Yugioh, Pokemon, Force of Will, whatever.
>>
File: lunchmoney.jpg (97 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
lunchmoney.jpg
97 KB, 600x600
>>43459890

this kinda applies
i know fuck all who plays it though
>>
Although not a physical card game, you might want to check out Duelyst, OP. It's a free virtual card game that takes inspiration from hearthstone in overall layout (no graveyard, instants, or enchantments), but as an alternate it offers complexity through each unit being placed on a 9x5 square grid. The powerlevel on the cards is quite enjoyable (like, the vanilla rule does not exist here), and the overall complexity is quite nice. I find it a good substitute from MtG from time to time.
>>
File: Duelyst screen.png (564 KB, 941x481) Image search: [Google]
Duelyst screen.png
564 KB, 941x481
>>43470044
here's an in game shot
>>
>>43470044
>>43470125
This looks pretty cool. I'm gonna give it a look.

OP, check out Netrunner. The learning curve can be brutal but the game is extremely well balanced, even between different sets.
>>
>>43469388
>casual play

That word gets throw around a lot so you are gonna have to be more explicit what you mean by that. Are you saying it's all random chance with no tactical play or deck building? Painfully imbalance? Or it just doesn't attract the 'hard-core' crowd?

>>43469711
I heard good things about vampire Breaking away from this one on one format. Like you can have match like 64 people playing in one game allegedly. Of course not it matters if the fan base is dead.

>>43469756
lunch money? Is that an TCG I thought it was a straight card game.

>>43470044
>9x5 grid.

That that sounds closer to a tactical wargame game then a TCG but still looks pretty cool
>>
>>43472333
>Like you can have match like 64 people playing in one game allegedly
Yeah, you could do that. I don't know why you'd really want to, but hey!

>Of course not it matters if the fan base is dead.
There's a pretty active fanbase, actually - more so than for any other "dead" game, I think - with blogs and forums that get daily content. Whether you can find people in your area is a different story, of course, but perhaps you could sew the seeds.

There were rumors about FFG bringing it back as a LCG a year or two ago, and then a few months back some company was trying to buy/licence it from WOTC, which didn't work out (and now especially didn't work out with the Paradox thing). This is mostly unrelated, sure, but it goes to show there's still some interest.

As a matter of completionism on my part, I'll mention the other two World of Darkness CCGs. Rage, based on Werewolf, is kindof half-alive, with fans having been making new sets since the 90s. It's also pretty fun, but a little funky. Arcadia, based on Changeling: the Dreaming, was more-or-less dead on arrival, despite being a pretty fun game that didn't require many cards/much of a buy-in at all. It sortof combines elements of an RPG with a CCG, mostly successfully. Two sets, very hard to find packs, but you only in theory need four (two each of two kinds of pack) to have a fully-playable game for two people. I think you can find scans for all the cards if this sounds interesting.
>>
File: image.jpg (34 KB, 353x417) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
34 KB, 353x417
>>43473625
> 64 players

If eye divine cybermancy has taught us anything ( and it hasn't ) 64 player co op is nice in theory but unstable in practice.

But it's nice to be not limited to two player games. Soon as simple as 2vs2 makes the world of difference while introduce need to friends and trying to playing socially.
>>
>>43472333
Casual player, not casual play.
I have a total of four trial decks, haven't so much as looked at a booster, much less single cards since the beginnings of the Pokémon TCG and play maybe twice a year when I find a player at a con because Germany is super import unfriendly and I have yet to find a FLGS here.
>>
>>43469327

Thank you for your opinion.

>>43469711

Oh someone recommended me Jyhad on IRC.

I also heard good things about Legend of the Five rings but the IP was sold recently.

All in all I don't think there's much sense in getting into CCGs for me.
>>
What are the opinions on Doomtown?
Also i'm interested on aGoT 2nd and maybe A.s.h.e.s., what can you tell me about them?
>>
>>43459890
try the spoils, i don't like the art, but considering how fun it is i rweally don't understand why there isn't alwas someone advising it in these threads
>>
>>43482126
It's just Ashes, and its design is very elegant. Things that seam off putting, like dice as resources and only taking two actions per turn, create meaningful tempo and tension. It's worth a look for reviews online that explain more. Very good game.
Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.