[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Characters you dreaded, but surprised you
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 4
File: image.jpg (33 KB, 236x283) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
33 KB, 236x283
((Pic somewhat related))

This is a thread about a character that you dreaded when the concept was pitched, or you first heard about, but as the campaign went on, the character surprised you.

The pic is related, because this character was basically Maizono: a J-Pop idol.

It was a Shadowrun campaign, and our group needed a face after the last one fell out of a Skyscraper window. (Another story for another time.) The player pitched a character that was essentially "A disgraced J-Pop Idol, who is still pretty famous despite the scandal, and wants revenge on those who wronged her. She went to the Shadows. She has an upbeat personality, and still retains her charm that made her an idol in the first place." At first, I was like 'ugh. A That Guy character.', but then, as we got deeper in the campaign, she actually became a great and necessary team member, and I began to like her more and more. The character was generally surprising and well written.

So, what are your stories of characters that surprised you, /tg/?
>>
File: Heresy.jpg (158 KB, 736x1104) Image search: [Google]
Heresy.jpg
158 KB, 736x1104
>Pathfinder
>Cat-folk Inquisitor/Cleric

Player was apparently a known furry and was damn insistent on filling out the animal theme as much as possible. To the point of "Hey, did you notice I'm a cat-person?".

Post character creation he actually turned into one of my best players. He took it upon himself to learn the rules and explore build options in a healthy way. Also the guy had a knack for improv so it was great to see him roleplay.

Made him a permanent member of the group and he digs it so long as I let him play furry in the settings, with the provision that NPCs will react normally and not just casually ignore a cat-person in a human only setting.

10/10 am playing with again
>The next setting is Warhammer
>>
>>46557756
Tell us more.
>>
>>46558249
>DIGGANOBZ.
>>
>>46557756
Could you tell us more, please?
>>
>>46557756
Guy played a cleric who looked somewhat feminine.

I was ready for magical realm but he just shot everything down that tried to get in his pants.
>>
>>46560139
Samey story with a chick.

Made a "feminine boytoy of the royal court" which I wanted to slaughter the moment she started smutting it up. She never did. Instead, what I got was the most well-rounded, thought and played out character in my whole campaign.

Oh, and he luck-shotted a daemon that could bucher him in a heartbeat.
>>
>>46560231
>"feminine boytoy of the royal court"
Was that the sentence that she used to describe her character?
>>
>>46558259
Alright. In campaign, she essentially played an incredibly ditzy character. She was always upbeat, but she knew when to dial it back. We expected her to try and smut, but she surprisingly didn't at all. She was a kind character, and at first the character didn't know what to do. Everyone loved her, because she was always so helpful, and a great asset to the Shadowrunning team.

Her fame got us in trouble a few times when people recognized her. But otherwise she remained hidden
>>
>>46560139
So, basically Libra from Fire Emblem Awakening?

That sounds great.
>>
>>46562872
Also, she threw up on the Troll once.

He forgave her, because our troll Muscle is actually a big softie.
>>
>>46562975
Know your FE.
Libra is basically a far more masculine Lucius from FE7. A lot of the character designs have been recycled, and it's a dead giveaway that you're a new-wave Tumblr fan if you only recognize the newer characters instead of the older ones they were based on.
FE is a series with a long history and a very devoted community, and the least you can do when playing a new sequel to an old series is to give the older games a try so you understand the past of the series, its strong points, the community and fundamentally what it's all about.
Fire Emblem has has its community severely hurt by garden-variety retards as well as SJWs attempting to force their own political agendas into a game from another culture (when Nintendo and Intelligent Systems bent over backwards to include SJW-friendly characters in Fates, the only reply was complaints about there not being at least 6 "gender-special" characters in a relatively small cast). The gameplay itself has gotten worse because of the neo-gamer fandom wanting less challenge and more having the fun handed to them on a silver platter, resulting in a lower difficulty level that kills the game's main charm points of high difficulty and unforgiving death mechanics. Huge chunks of development time and money have been eaten up by irrelevant dating-sim elements, and the story is bending further and further backwards to worship the player's perfect, flawless Avatar.
Yes, I am triggered. I just needed to get this out there so that maybe, someone with more than one brain cell in a wheelchair and another doing the pushing might see exactly what ignorant, pampered newcomers are doing to the series. Not every game is for everyone, and it's absurdly restricting artistic freedom, game design and skill ceilings that people think so. Sometimes, you need to get less pampered or get bent.
>>
>>46557756
Gnome sorcerer girl who acted like a five year old outside combat. It started as existential dread, and ended as one of the best friends I made in the game.
>>
File: image.png (99 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
image.png
99 KB, 800x600
>>46563263
>>
>>46561000
It sort of looks like it, with the quotes around that phrase...
>>
>>46563386
More details, if you can.
>>
Necron Lord Zyrotec, the Outcast Lord of the Zyrotec Dynasty, and his tiny cadre of 8 Immortals and two Lychguard, in our Rogue Trader campaign.

I was actually pleasantly surprised how well he was role-played - he wanted subjects to experiment on, and viewed the party like pets. He was an intellectual and combat monster, but had absolutely zero social skills, and had no idea how to act like the servitor we kept dressing him as. Eventually left the part because he was just too powerful and didn't fit the campaign arc well, but still exists as an NPC who shows up every now and again.
>>
>>46562975
Anon, the character in that picture is Libra
you dummy
>>
>>46566264
I thought it was. Must have been why I was reminded of him.
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.