[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What system should i use for superheroes?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3
File: 8493770318_dfc65a75ba_o.jpg (4 MB, 3840x2160) Image search: [Google]
8493770318_dfc65a75ba_o.jpg
4 MB, 3840x2160
So the thing is I'm thinking of running a game in which the players are given powers. I'm not sure how yet, either by cosmic event or birth.

it will take place in a future city, and thats about all i know so far aside from the plot.

either way, I'm looking for a game in which the players are given some degree of superpowers, you guys know any good ones?

only request, simple combat, were sick of lengthy combats that take 10 minutes for a single turn. I'm looking at you anima beyond fantasy.
>>
>>46489942
Well there's Wild Talents--

>simple combat

or not

I guess try Kerberos FATE or Base Raiders?
>>
Since almost every recommendation you'll get here will be Mutant and Masterminds, I'll give you what has worked for us for over 3 years; Heroes Unlimited

It's from Palladium (Rifts), uses D100 for skills and D20 for everything else, and it has a lot of powers, abilities and "classes". Cyborg, robot, psionic, mutant, super soldier, natural genius, etc. on which you can add pretty much what you want.

I think I saw the books in the PDF thread recently, you'll only need the core book and if you want more powers there's the 3 Power Unlimited supplements. Aside from that you won't need to go look into the other ressources.

In our last campaign, we began anew with one power of supernatural perk and we unlocked new powers related to the theme of our character. I had a pyromaniac with the ability to alter my limbs into fire arms or primitive weapons who unlocked his fire expulsion power later on. Change his legs into rocket and you have a flying flamethrower who can shoot bullets of his own blood.
>>
>>46489942
Old Hero System/Champions player here, checking in.
>>
File: Worlds in Peril (CC version) .pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
Worlds in Peril (CC version) .pdf
1 B, 486x500
>>46489942
This is the third superhero thread today, and I'm starting to feel bad about repeating myself, but Worlds in Peril.

Fuck, have a PDF (this is the free, no art version).
>>
>>46490897
It's only good if you don't mind insane rules, unbalanced characters, and most of your stats being useless. I'm not completely bashing it, it can be legitimately fun to play something pants-on-head-retarded sometimes.

My personal favorite is Fate Accelerated, replacing the Approaches with the scales the Marvel Wiki rates the power of characters on and stunts being powers. This is mostly good for one shots and short campaigns though, as is the nature of FAE. I have never actually played a long-term supers game, but I'm not a huge fan of Mutants and Masterminds even though everyone else loves it. I read through Savage Worlds Supers book and that looks kind of fun to play a more pulpy style of game with a little more longevity, but as much as I hate to admit it MaM is your tried and true best bet.
>>
>>
>>46490897
I'm not a fan of how they don't even try to balance the powers in Heroes Unlimited. Like how Superhuman Strength is just better than Extraordinary Physical Strength, but they're both minor powers.
>>
>>46493530
Only one word is needed to explain that: Palladium.
>>
>>46489942
>only request, simple combat, were sick of lengthy combats that take 10 minutes for a single turn.
While obviously nothing is going to save you if your players are umming and ahhhing and can't select a simplest thing out of a menu, in M&M the combat is simply:
>roll d20 plus your attack accuracy as written on your charsheet versus 10 plus dodge or parry as written on the target
>if hit, the target rolls d20+toughness vs 15+damage, or d20+ other save vs 10+effect rank

On the other hand, everybody has, by default, options like power attack (-2 accuracy, +2 effect), accurate attack (the opposite) and etc, and that may paralyze the indecisive players.
>>
>>46489942
M&M is pretty smooth once you're through char gen.
>>
>>46489942
Best powers: Don't Rest Your Head
Best mod base: Wild Talents
Best villains: Better Angels
Best emo: World/Chronicles of Darkness
Best space: Force and Destiny
>>
>>46495474
Hero Lab has a great char builder program, there is a free demo version.

M&M 2E is a streamlined d20 system, so lots of players will pick up on the rules quickly.
>>
>>46497299
>d20 system, so lots of players will pick up on the rules quickly.
Please die?
>>
>>46497299
>Hero Lab has a great char builder program, there is a free demo version.
As far as I understand it, the non-demo thing is that it has the whole rulebook for your system built in. Free version only does the math without giving you text describing the effects.

Also 2e is too much D&D like, 3e further ditched a bunch of vestigial parts from it.
>>
Marvel Heroic Roleplay
>>
>>46494031
That doesn't sound simple at all.
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.