[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How do I get into D&D?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1
File: How-to-get-friends-to-play-dnd1.png (2 MB, 1920x1124) Image search: [Google]
How-to-get-friends-to-play-dnd1.png
2 MB, 1920x1124
Hey /tg/. I'm completely new when it comes to Dungons and Dragons. Is there a way to play D&D online without friends? My friends would probably disown me if I ever approached them with a request to play. Also, where can I find a good guide to play?
>>
>>46471695
In order:

>Is there a way to play D&D online without friends?
Roll20.net. Check the catalog to see if there's a gamefinder thread up, might be able to find someone there. If you don't want to do it online (notorious for flakes and assholes), you might see if your town has a Local Game Store where you might find games run in-store to join.

>My friends would probably disown me if I ever approached them with a request to play.
I see that they aren't actually your friends then.

>Also, where can I find a good guide to play?
That would be the Player's Handbook, but depending on what edition you're playing you'll have to look different places. I would recommend 5th edition D&D for beginners, and all books (and a few friendly austis- er, enthusiasts) can be found in the /5eg/ over yonder >>46469359

Now prepare your anus for the choir of retards that will tell you that you're having fun the wrong way and that D&D is an awful system that there's no way you'll have fun with it because they know more about your tastes than you. Good luck.
>>
About the friends disowning you , don't be so sure... my friends laughed at my dnd idea for years But it took only one game to hook them. We have been playing every week for a year now. ( sorry for my English)
>>
Dont start with DnD, it's a fucking mess.

Go find a Dungeon World game in the gamefinder or something.
>>
>>46472272
Seconding that, Dungeon World is a great way to get started. If you insist on playing D&D, at least try to play 5th edition. And under no circumstances allow someone to convince you to play something called "Pathfinder".
>>
>>46472272
>>46472314
Give it a break, you fags. Literally every time someone asks, you need to try and advertise other games like you think you're doing them a favor.
>>
>>46471695
If you live in the US and want a free, no commitment go at D&D, you could try Adventurer's League
http://dnd.wizards.com/playevents/organized-play
Just plug in your zip code.

If you don't live in the US or your closest FLGS is too out of your way, you should absolutely try Roll20.net. If you have a bad experience your first game, don't be afraid to give it another go with a different group. This hobby has a knack for attracting some weird dudes.

>>46472401
D&D isn't the game for everyone, and most people aren't aware of how numerous their other options are. There's nothing wrong with those sorts of posts.
>>
>>46471956
>Now prepare your anus for the choir of retards that will tell you that you're having fun the wrong way and that D&D is an awful system that there's no way you'll have fun with it
>>46472272

Top kek.

>>46471695
I would suggest playing some before ever approaching your friends with it. I am curious how you came to /tg/ before D&D though. Seems to me most people get into the hobby first, /tg/ later.
>>
>>46471695
D&D and other tabletop rpgs are excellent games for dedicated groups of close friends that often brings them closer together and makes great memories if everyone is willing to loosen up and simply enjoy the experience.

If your friends will disown you for wanting to do something like that, they're cunts, and you should look for better friends.

Because the only true barrier to playing D&D / etc in my experience is the mental stigmas such games have (oh so nurdy would nevar play such nurdy games how grozz)... that, or if you happen to lack things such as eyes, ears, a mouth, hands, feet, or anything you can use to communicate or manipulate the environment in some way. In that case too fuckin bad man.
>>
When you're starting out and looking for games on Roll20, do you need to own/have PDFs of any of the books related to the system?

I've heard that if none of your friends game, it can take literally months to find your first game online. Is that true?
>>
>>46472272
>>46472314
To be fair, Dungeon World needs an experienced GM who knows what he's doing. Otherwise the game will be utter shit full of confusion.

While D&D is generic and computer gamey, it's
much easier to get into. Partly because the published adventures are usually simple hack & slash romps.
>>
Before you begin playing with a group of newbies try to decide together how heavy you want to go into actual roleplaying. Gamist systems like D&D and Pathfinder tend to be more like boardgame tactical fighting and less roleplaying.

You can of course roleplay in any system you choose. The truth is that games with lots of number crunching and tactical fighting tend to attract less roleplayers. Every group is different though and there can be exceptions.
>>
I got into D&D and RPGs general by going to gaming convention and making friends with people who play board games. Atleast in conventions that I have been to people playing card (mind that MtG is it's own different community focused on competition than your regular card gaming) and board games are generally very nice and it's easy to join their games. These guys also usually play D&D and other RPGs. There are ofcourse pure RPG players in conventions too, but in my experience getting into their circles seems to be very hard for outsider.
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.