[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Recommendation thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2
File: 35465e46r57t6.jpg (159 KB, 1100x350) Image search: [Google]
35465e46r57t6.jpg
159 KB, 1100x350
Most systems come with strong mechanics for combat or a specific sub system just for it. Are there any systems which have the same kind of focus but for other parts of the game? I'm mostly thinking about investigation, or a way that players can figure out a mystery in another way than an investigation check, or about a travel system that could support a roadtrip type of game.

I know pic related has more definite mechanics for travel and exploration and I've heard Trail of Cthulhu has a good investigation system, but I'm wondering if there are more? Or if there are different game whose focus is on something else than combat.

Also recommendation thread.
>>
>>46466236
ToC has a horrible investigation system because an investigation is too complex to roll for directly. You roll skill checks and it's the GM's job to bring everything together. That takes some experience.

A great system to look at if you like it gamist but don't want to only combat or freeform is Mouse Guard. Or go straight to Torchbearer or Burning Wheel. Everything on the sheet matters to the dice, and it features Beliefs, Instincts, and Goals. Also there's the Duel of Wits, a social combat minigame involving all the usual stats from your sheet and a crazy inner dynamic.

Another way to go would be Fate. It uses the same meta mechanism for any challenge, be it combat, social, or some skill. You collect free invocations with actions and then bring them down in one attack. Meanwhile the others help or keep the opposition from doing the same. It's all story, whether you "strike at the enemy's weak leg using the blinding sun in your back and the fine dust you collected earlier to throw in his face" or "drive to force the other car off the road by ramming its chassis where the torn side is already close to cutting the tire and then pushing it against the tire that just picked up oil from the spill with a PIT maneuver you know the inexperienced other driver won't be prepared to deal with".
>>
>>46466236
>a travel system that could support a roadtrip type of game

What kind of "support" are you looking for here?
>>
I really like the Team Conflict module from a game I had been shilling all day and I'me really considering taking a break now, because wow, it's becoming embarrassing. It's Strike!

You can basically use it to describe any kind of extended effort the team needs to make to achieve their goals. It's pretty simple too.

Copy pasting from my talk trying to explain it to a player:

Team conflict is used when there is some kind of obstacle that needs the work of the entire team to be overcome, and takes more than a few skill rolls of effort. Depending on setting and tone it could be a campaign of war, a perilous voyage, even things like researching science, or not failing an important test.
Team conflict is in some ways a type of combat, but there are only 2 parties: the team, and the challenge to overcome.
They have the same stats: Advance and Defense. Advance shows their ability to cause harm/overcome the other, while defense is the ability to resist that. For example, if the party crossed the Desert of Doom as part of a team conflict, the two parties are the party and DoD.

DoD's Advance is things like deadly scorpions, sandstorms, blazing sun, etc. things that harm and deter the characters.
Its defense is being large and hard to navigate; this isn't causing direct harm, but it gives it time to for the things that do to creep up on the players.

The Party's Advance is their ability to venture forth and navigate the desert before it swallows them, and their Defense is surviving the scoprions, sun, sandstorm, etc.

Advance and defense are represented by a simple number. Challenges usually have both set as constants, while the players' side can take actions to shuffle theirs around (but start at 0). The "combat" happens by both parties rolling a d6 for their Advance and Defense (adding their relevant numbers), and comparing their results.
You compare Advance against the other side's Defense (and vice versa).

>cont
>>
>>46467022

If a side wins on both (Their Advance is higher than the other side's defense and their defense is higher than their advance), the Team Conflict is over and that side "wins". Either the party manages to cross the desert, or something happens that forces them to abandon trying to cross (in hardcore games this could be death, but it also could be getting caught up in nomad politics and having to go on a side venture or something).
If they both defend successfully, it's a Draw and neither side gains headway. The party is weathering the elements, but the desert is still wast. (while this sounds like "nothing happened! how exciting!" both the party and the challenge can have abilities that trigger on a Draw, or affect later turns, but I don't want to confuse stuff).
If both sides get past the other's defenses, that's called a Push, and it means that both side gained a minor victory, and they "hit" each other (the party crossed much/found a source of nourishment/water, but were beset by flesh eating beetles).

As a module, it's easy to add to basically any game that has a skill system or some kind of stand in for it. It is however quite abstract.
>>
>>46467022
That's a very basic concept found in countless games. I distinctly remember that bit of GM advice from BRP and Fate.
>>
>>46467113
I'll need to reread FATE and BRP. So many systems, so little time!
>>
>>46466602
The "too complex to roll for directly" is pretty much what I'm a looking for though. I like the more complicated parts of combat, where a whole section of the game (or the whole game itself) is dedicated to it, so I'm looking for system with a similar mechanization, but for things other than combat, like investigation, exploration, social, etc.

I'm also currently reading Mouse Guard, but I've yet to finish the book and I'll keep Burning Wheel in mind, thanks.

>>46466783
Basically I'm wondering if there exists a system with strong guidelines that could make exploration and travel more interesting. Either with a stronger set of mechanisms dedicated to it or feats relating to uncovering more interesting areas.

>>46467038
I'll take a look at Strike! if you have a pdf of it?
>>
>>46467283
>I'll take a look at Strike! if you have a pdf of it?
http://www.uploadmb.com/dw.php?id=1449846116

Fair warning: Editing/layout/art is quite bad. Team conflict rules start at 75.
>>
>>46467283
ToC oversimplifies to a degree that there's nothing left.

Read the Reign company rules. They'd plug into any system.
>>
File: 1456773994818.jpg (351 KB, 1024x727) Image search: [Google]
1456773994818.jpg
351 KB, 1024x727
>>46466236
Chuubo's Magical Wish Granting Engine
>>
>>46466236
http://arsludi.lamemage.com/index.php/78/grand-experiments-west-marches/
>>
>>46467541
>Chuubo's Magical Wish Granting Engine
Do you perchance have a pdf for it?
>>
>>46467283
>strong guidelines that could make exploration and travel more interesting
any hexcrawl
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.