[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/5eg/ D&D Fifth Edition General
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 49
File: based wotc.jpg (1 MB, 1932x2606) Image search: [Google]
based wotc.jpg
1 MB, 1932x2606
>Official /5eg/ Mega Trove, contains all official 5e stuff:
https://mega.nz#F!UVkTnT5b!FJ34UZ98BMY2mEtexenS7g

>Pastebin with homebrew list, resources and so on:
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>/tg/ Character Sheet
https://mega.nz/#F!x0UkRDQK!l-iAUnE46Aabih71s-10DQ

What do you think of 5th edition's art direction? What do you think of Wayne Reynolds?
>>
File: pzo9012-seltyiel.jpg (84 KB, 746x1024) Image search: [Google]
pzo9012-seltyiel.jpg
84 KB, 746x1024
>>46469359
I think it's mostly fine.

>Wayne
Over designed horseshit.
>>
inb4 halfling art
>>
Updated my halfbreed race with EE races, and I am hoping for some more feedback. I modeled it after the Half-Elf to preserve the "half-breed becomes charismatic socialite" niche. I use the Half-Orc entry for full-blooded Orcs in my setting, so the Human/Orc possible with this is quite different.

>Ability Score Increase: Your Charisma score increases by 2, and one other ability score of your choice increase by I.

>Age: Aging traits are roughly derived from the average age of adulthood and lifespan of the two parent races.

>Alignment: Any; typically the halfway point between the two parent races. Probable chaotic bent for those born into societies that do not accept halfbreeds.

>Size: Average for the two parent races. Your size is usually Medium. However, if your parents were any two of dwarf, halfling, or gnome, your size is Small.

>Speed: Your base walking speed is 30 feet if Medium, 25 feet if Small.

>Racial Inheritance: You gain two of the following traits, based on your parents' races. All abilities come from the relevant PHB entries for the parent races. If you would gain darkvision twice, there is no compensation. Also don't make a Tiefling/Aasimar you faggot.
-Human: Add one point to any ability score not chosen in the Ability Score Increase section.
-Elf: Darkvision and Fey Ancestry
-Dwarf: Darkvision and Dwarven Resilience
-Halfling: Lucky and Brave
-Dragonborn: Draconic Ancestry and Damage Resistance (No breath weapon)
-Tiefling: Darkvision and Hellish Resistance
-Aasimar: Darkvision and Celestial Radiance
-Gnome: Gnome Cunning.
-Orc*: Darkvision and Relentless Endurance
-Aarakocra: Talons
-Genasi: Unending breath/Earth Walk/Fire Resistance/Acid Resistance
-Goliath: Natural Athlete and Mountain Born

*I use the Half-Orc PHB entry for full-blooded Orcs

>Skill Versatility: You gain proficiency in two skilIs of your choice.

>Languages: Common, any languages of your parents' races, and one extra language of your choice.

R8?
>>
File: 1306879566494.jpg (15 KB, 250x250) Image search: [Google]
1306879566494.jpg
15 KB, 250x250
>>46469359
>Wayne "I throw my arms back and stick out my chest" Reynolds
>>
>>46469383
Ok its not that bad. Sure it could definitely stand to be simplified some but he does make some good art in my opinion. I'd love to have the artistic talent that he does because my artistic skills are horrid but I have so much I would love to draw stuck in my head.
>>
>>46469606
Ain't about talent, baby. It's about dedication. You can't draw well because you don't care enough to actually try.
>>
>>46469390
Looks like a midget with hydroenchapalus
>>
File: adam-x the x-treme.jpg (75 KB, 395x590) Image search: [Google]
adam-x the x-treme.jpg
75 KB, 395x590
>>46469359

>Wayne Reynolds

He's the Rob Liefield of RPG art.
>>
>>46469606
It's not talent. It's practice.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YLO7tCdBVrA
>>
>>46469466

The idea is solid, but I probably wouldn't pick those exact traits. Those options are really not at all balanced. A player wanting to be half Aarakocra would obviously want flight, not shitty talons.

Instead, I'd give them a list of traits for each race, and then let them pick one from each parent race. That would get rid of the really shitty options, like all the ones that get Darkvision twice.
>>
>>46469651
>>46469755
I've tried a lot back between 7th grade and the end of high school. I tried making character concepts, comics, and plenty of other random stuff. I'm horrid with hands and feat, and most of everything else outside of the eyes are not exactly good either. I can do some solid eyes though.

But idk maybe I'll try again and see if I can improve some between sessions and work.
>>
>>46469864

Practice drawing hands and feet for 100 hours. Time yourself. I promise you'll be able to draw them.
>>
>>46469359

Everyone I've talked to at my tables thinks highly of 5e's art, but we haven't talked about it beyond that.
>>
>>46469806
I wanted to keep it simple, especially since some races have so few traits to begin with, but I'll take that into consideration.

Aarakocra heritage grants talons because literally the only features of that race are flight and talons. WotC's Half-Elf had minor/flavour features from the Elf rather than its most prominent and powerful ones, so I tried to take cues from that.
>>
>>46469996
Not him, but what about flight with the limitation that the character has to land at the end of the turn or fall?
>>
>>46470062
Workable, but flight is still a huge advantage in any capacity. Aarakocra are broken as it is, before letting a halfbreed to pick up skill masteries, more flexible ASI, and shit like elemental resistances.
>>
>>46469806
If you do that you might as well just do it on a case by case basis, there aren't going to be that many players anyway so if someone suddenly wants a half-goliath half-halfling then you can hear what they'd want and take features following that restricted by that point system.
>>
>>46470173
>Aarakocra are broken as it is
no, git gud.
>>
>>46469996

>WotC's Half-Elf had minor/flavour features from the Elf rather than its most prominent and powerful ones, so I tried to take cues from that.

That's understandable, but try to see it from a player's point of view. Literally no one will ever play a half Aarakocra just for talons, so you might as well not even list it as an option. Even complete non-min-maxing, story-focused players who want the flavor of a half bird person will want to fly.

Why not give them limited flight, like once per short rest, increasing to an actual permanent fly speed around level 10? There's no need to limit yourself to using the exact wording of existing abilities; you can write up sort of halfway points for abilities that seem too strong.

I do think it's wise to err on the side of being less powerful than the original races, since the ability to mix and match inherently provides the possibility for combo shenanigans. Especially if you let them pick features, players would still be satisfied. A half orc, half Aarakocra could have limited flight and Relentless Endurance, for example. I'd play that. Or Goliath/Gnome, being able to use weapons sized for a Medium creature + Gnome Cunning. Would play. Not strictly as good as an actual, full-blooded race, but it opens up neat possibilities.
>>
>>46469606
>>46469651 has it right. While some people have a knack for it, drawing is just like any skill, artistic or otherwise. You can't get better at playing an instrument without a lot of practice and you can't get better at drawing without a lot of practice.
>>
>>46470226
This nigga. Maybe they could use something like 30ft fly speed, can't be used in consecutive rounds or you get fatigued.
>>
>>46470186

Oh, I'd certainly do it that way at my table. I don't personally need a half-race subsystem like this for players who really have an itch to play something. But it might be a nice little thing to have for prodding players to choose something a little more exotic, if you're playing the sort of game that would call for it. I mostly run Planescape, so I like players to have as many options for playing weird creatures as possible. But I have a couple of players that will consistently only choose a race that has a +2 to their class's favorite stat, so having a wider array of options might push them to think a little more creatively than just "Warlock=Tiefling or Half-elf".
>>
>>46470226
I'd rather see something like gliding and bonuses to jump then limited flight times.
>>
>>46469359
You stopped my three thread streak OP, damn you.
>>
>>46470387
How about you make the thread before the previous one 404s?
>>
File: THEJESTER.jpg (369 KB, 1183x2100) Image search: [Google]
THEJESTER.jpg
369 KB, 1183x2100
>>46470414
I was busy! I had real life things to attend to.
>>
>>46470500
>real life
Nigga, /tg/ is life.
>>
>>46470337
I mean, weird and exotic races are great and I'm having a ton in my setting, but half-races are the opposite of that for me. Refluffing seems like it would fix most of it when it comes to few mechanical options, take one race even if you're half something else, or just take variant human and an appropriate feat.
>>
>>46469466
Lego genetics are still silly.
>>
>>46470651
Worrying about TVTropes buzzwords is silly, too.
>>
So what would happen if Wizards could choose school features like Totem Warriors can choose theirs?
>>
>>46470773
They already can, it's called spells.
>>
>>46470806
Your mom must be proud.
>>
>>46470738
The phrase has been around far longer than any fiction catalog, but sure, be petulant.
>>
Would I be an ass if I told a Druid player they can only choose one or two of the Monster Lists from Appendix B of the DMG as a list of shapes they can use? Obviously only the beasts that is. It seems in 5e nobody ever bothers limiting Druids, whereas in 3.5e I remember it being a standard thing.
>>
>>46470912
Druid Wild Shape is already limited. You have to have seen the beast before.
>>
>>46470912
RAW it's self-limiting: They can only become Beasts that they have spent a decent amount of time observing.

Bad design and lazy DMs who don't pay attention are not the same thing.
>>
>>46470912
The limit on druids in 3.5 (aside from hit dice anyway) was that they just had to have seen the animal before. For the most part it didn't really mean much since seeing a bear isn't really difficult to arrange
>>
>>46470886
yeah he's the petulant one anon ;^J
>>
>>46470969
> B-but you let me stare at that Owlbear for like an hour 10 sessions ago!
That was a good laugh.
>>
>>46470912
The Druid I'm DMing for and I came to an agreement that she can only Wildshape into animals that she's seen. So, she started off with an arrangement of animals that she likely would have spent time around before the stuff begins. It gives the party some incentive to venture further, and it makes it even cooler when I use a wider variety of monsters. It was also helped by them starting in the woods, where a lot of beasts were.

However, either of these solutions don't really actually hamper the druid. The Druid may just end up using the same forms every time. Which is common as it is, I think. There are few enough Wildshape uses that they may not switch forms to one that would be marginally better because of some feature. They might just turn into a brown bear every fight, for example.
>>
>>46470912
Why though? Are you worried about a particular beast messing up your encounters?

>>46470969
>They can only become Beasts that they have spent a decent amount of time observing.
Where does it say that? Under Wild Shape it just says you have to see it. Nothing about a time requirement.
>>
>>46470957
>>46470969
>>46470979

So I, >>46471029 , forgot that was already in the PHB.

Sometimes people make mistakes.
>>
>>46471029
>The Druid I'm DMing for and I came to an agreement that she can only Wildshape into animals that she's seen.
So... you came to an agreement to play by RAW and RAI? What were you going to do before?
>>
>>46471029
>The Druid I'm DMing for and I came to an agreement that she can only Wildshape into animals that she's seen.
That's not an agreement, those are the rules. Like, actually the rules.

DMing is typically easier if you've read the book.
>>
Is LMoP actually good or just good enough
>>
Since we're talking about druids, I have a friend who says druids are better than wizards as they are more versatile and stronger.

Is there something I'm not waste l aware of?
>>
>>46471078
>>46471062
I've read the book, but I only skimmed through the classes because I became Forever DM on the first session.

The conversation went to the effect of "Oh, you have to have seen them to become them." "Sure." And it was left at that.

Oh god my spaghetti is all over.
>>
>>46471107

were you aware that your friend is a brainless idiot?
>>
>>46471107
Holy shit, what happened with the last few words.

I'm not aware of**
>>
>>46471136
>of which I'm not aware

if we're going to be fussy
>>
>>46471107
He's fucking wrong. Druids are technically better at front-lining, though, because Wildshape gives them some extra buffer health, while Wizards are typically the most fragile member of any party. They're still probably the best class, maybe edged out by Bard.
>>
>>46471126
It's ok, anon. Everybody makes mistakes. Everybody has those days.
>>
>>46471107
i'd druids are superior in combat at level 2-4. as wild shape falls off, and as the wizard gains more spells known, spells prepared and spell slots, the wizard becomes much better (though if you make it to level 20 as a moon druid, that capstone is crazy). outside of combat, wizards are basically always going to be better for their huge array of spells, including many ritual spells
>>
>>46471212
Only Moon Druids, which get reduced spellcasting ability to compensate. Land Druids cannot frontline at all with their beast forms.
>>
>>46471212
is bard really that good in 5e?
>>
>>46471301
They can steal fantastic spells that are on the spell lists of other classes. Often times earlier than those classes get them. They're also somewhat durable and have really good support capabilities. They don't really lose a lot of offense to make up for this.

Bards are pretty great in most editions.
>>
>>46471301
Great support class with decent healing and excellent buffing and debuffing; great out-of-combat toolset with utility spells and skills; pretty poor damage-wise with a default build, though that's easily fixed by dipping into another class. It also has the unique and extremely potent ability to cherry-pick spells from the list of any class as a feature at certain levels.
>>
>>46471359
>Often times earlier than those classes get them
Explain?
you mean like if they steal from ranger or paladin? Or am I missing something.
>>
File: Unwinding.jpg (64 KB, 736x547) Image search: [Google]
Unwinding.jpg
64 KB, 736x547
>>46471079
I really enjoyed it personally, and overall its very well laid out to be just open enough while still having a clear direction so new players playing through it don't get lost. Plus since it ends at a relatively low level with multiple roads to leave the town with, its perfectly possible to turn a LMoP campaign into a general open sandbox campaign, or you can tie it in with one of the other campaign books.

Overall, I enjoyed it and I would recommend it to any DM.
>>
>>46471409
Yeah, stealing from Ranger, Paladin. Another notable steal is from Warlock, but for a different reason: the Bard can cast more spells than the Warlock can in quite succession.
>>
>>46471409
Yeah, those are the two. They can get Ranger and Paladin's biggest spells before them. Spells like Conjure Volley, which is supposed to be the Ranger's damage nuke, is available for Bard earlier than Ranger.
>>
>>46471409
Yes, Ranger and Paladin. Two of the big offenders in that regard are Aura of Vitality and Swift Quiver. AoV, especially with one level in Life Cleric, gives repeated healing to the party, while SQ lets the Valor Bard deal out as many ranged attacks as a level 20 fighter. The classes who have those spells can't get them to level 17, while the Bard can grab them at 10.
>>
Last thread stated that permanent magical effects can still be dispelled. Given that, what measures would a guild or merchant house take to protect 18,250gp worth of Teleportation Circle from any random yahoo or saboteur with a Dispel Magic scroll?
>>
>>46471491

The threat of reprisal.
>>
>>46471079
My group liked it, even though it was my first time running a game. It was a good thing to start off running, I think, because there was a lot of stuff to work with. I wish I'd taken advantage of more of that but my players were mostly just interested in the main quest.
>>46471423
>its perfectly possible to turn a LMoP campaign into a general open sandbox campaign, or you can tie it in with one of the other campaign books.
I'm trying to do either one of these now because they just finished the main quest and are ready for new material. I proposed the one that sends them to the Underdark but they didn't like the sound of it. Should I just mine the Adventurer's League for things? I'd just make stuff up, but considering the party is already in Faerûn and I haven't read any of the books I'm not comfortable enough with the lore to do that. Any ideas?
>>
File: 1420396666623.gif (41 KB, 200x200) Image search: [Google]
1420396666623.gif
41 KB, 200x200
>>46471486
>>46471455
>>46471451
Oh BB. I know what I'm making for my next character, Magic archer bard.
>>
>>46471491
>half-orc cultist with several scrolls strapped to his chest under his robes runs into the room and tackles the circle while screaming about Gruumsh

Anon pls
>>
>>46471543
They tend to peter off toward the end, but those are the same levels where you can just become a giant dragon, so the point is probably moot.
>>
>>46471543
Start Bard, dip a level of Fighter for Archery fighting style, take Sharpshooter, laugh at everyone as you're now the best Archer in the game. If only you could also use Bardic Inspiration on yourself...
>>
>>46471820
>Start Bard, dip a level of Fighter for Archery fighting style, take Sharpshooter, laugh at everyone as you're now the best Archer in the game.
Battle Master is actually the best archer in the game. Precision Strike helps those sharpshooter shots land when they need to.
>>
Okay /tg/

I'm looking to make the most nuisance character in 5e, in terms of combat. Evasion, and disabling my opponent mainly.

I'm thinking I'll be a Lightfoot Halfling, so I can run between peoples legs and hide behind other creatures.

For weapons, I'll use maybe a net or lasso, and then I guess a disarming club.

Maybe pocket sand as well, for safety.

Right now, I don't know what Class is best. We're not playing with Feats, but rules from splatbooks may be acceptable.

What can I do to make this bulletproof? I wanna be the untouchable pest.
>>
File: wat cat 2.jpg (60 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
wat cat 2.jpg
60 KB, 500x500
>>46471893
>We're not playing with Feats
>>
>>46471927
GM's rule, that's why I need advice
>>
>>46471884
That's true. I'd argue for a while the Bard is better, because 4 attacks thanks to Swift Quiver. Depends on the AC of enemies being fought. If they're high BM would be better thanks to Precision Strike for sure.
>>
Which books should I read to get into Faerun?
>>
>>46471893
What level will you be starting at? Which character qualities are you set on? How do you envision your character typically acting in combat?
>>
>>46471957
The entire Legend of Drizzt series.
>>
>>46471957
Cleric Quintet. The first 10 or so of the Legend of Drizzt books. The Sellswords books.
>>
>>46471893
I'd say your best bet would be lightfoot halfling thief rogue. Pick up ball bearings, caltrops, manacles, and other items of the sort and use your bonus action to to create hazards or to cuff people either to themselves or to other enemies. Also you wont get a net this way but sneak attacks with a light crossbow will do plenty good when you cant use any objects to dick over the enemies. Also you could use rope and string to tie people up and create trip wires.
>>
>>46471893
>Untouchable
Best way not to get is not be seen. Cunning action Hide as a rogue is probably your best bet. Eventually you might get Dexter high enough to be har to hit but certainly not from level one.
>>
>>46471961
It hasn't been mentioned so I think we're starting at L1.

What do you mean by qualities? Like for RP or out of the ones I listed already.

Mostly I imagine just being the master evader, provoking and harrassing enemies to either cause them to be unable to fight or get distracted enough to get messed up by the party.

Basically I want to do something other than just rolling to hit until I do enough damage to kill them.
>>
>>46469466
I like it
>>
>>46471980
>>46472012
Sorry, I meant sourcebooks, not novels. Should probably brush up on Forgotten Realms in general.
>>
>>46472057
Well. There is the Sword Coast Adventure Guide. Specially made for 5e too.

Other than that, I wasn't aware there *were* sourcebooks for FR.
>>
>>46472070
Well, I don't know if there are sourcebooks for Forgotten Realms, either, I'm more used to homebrew settings in a different system, this is my first foray into D&D.
>>
>>46472107
There's plenty, you can go back through to AD&D for sourcebooks.
>>
Isn't basically half of 5e's art LITERALLY just late-cycle (2010 onwards) 4e art from later 4e books and Dragon/Dungeon magazines?
>>
>>46472070
>>46472107
> Easily the most popular published setting for D&D
> No sourcebooks
You fuckers aren't looking hard enough.
>>
>>46472188
>You fuckers aren't looking hard enough.
You mean at all.
>>
>>46472155
Oh, excellent.
>>46472188
IMD I find that asking a general leads to either getting my question answered quickly and simply, or shenanigans. But thanks anyway.
>>
File: UA Gothic Characters.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
UA Gothic Characters.pdf
1 B, 486x500
This month's UA, because I'm sure some of us haven't seen it yet.
>>
>>46472057

Novels are generally a better way to get a feeling for the setting. Sourcebooks are amateur fantasy writers making wikipedia articles about a fantasy world. The topic might be great, but the presentation is just not the best way to digest the material. Sourcebooks are much better as reference materials.
>>
What's the best way to play a Summoner in this edition now that Summoning spells are nerfed? Straight conjuration wizards? Druid? Something else?
>>
>>46472048
As said before, your best option, with your given concept, is being untargettable to as many enemies as you can at any given time by keeping at least one ally between you and them, so that you can Hide from them with the Lightfoot Halfling's Naturally Stealthy ability. This will require some degree of careful positioning to put into practice. It also means you will take at least 2 levels in Rogue to Hide as a bonus action, freeing your action to attack.

Given that you're now Dex-based, there are limited options for you to go about harassing enemies. You probably don't want to go pure Rogue, because they revolve around dealing damage with Sneak Attack.

One option is to go Battle Master Fighter and use Maneuvers to trip and distract enemies. This is probably your most straightforward option, and the best one to pick if you're not to sure what you want to do.

Another is to dip into Monk for Stunning Strike. The fact that you'll be unable to use your net and lasso (whip?) with Martial Arts is not as relevant, since your bonus action will already be occupied Hiding, and whips are already finesse weapons anyway. This build may require your secondary ability score to be Wis, depending on how much you want to rely on Monk features, but potentially also allows you to run around buck naked, if that's your thing.

Yet another option is to go Bladesinger Wizard. This protects you from enemies you aren't able to Hide from by giving you +Int to your AC. You also get the other miscellaneous benefits of Bladesong (bonuses to Acrobatics and speed, for instance), access to the Shield spell if you haven't already gone Arcane Trickster, and various other save-or-suck spells to fuck up enemies. Note that this locks you into Int secondary.
>>
>>46469864
Draw tentacles then :^)
>>
File: 1459790916853.jpg (17 KB, 456x320) Image search: [Google]
1459790916853.jpg
17 KB, 456x320
What's up /tg/. Pretty new to D&D, I've been trying to get better at problem solving. I need help because I tend to over-complicate puzzles/dungeons. Maybe you guys can solve this next one. It's the end of a series of puzzles which were designed so even not-so-bright henchmen could stumble their way back through the dungeon. I'm not just looking for the answer, I'm more interested in the *path* towards the answer.

A room that is essentially a 500 foot drop/cliff, with a pillar 70 feet out. A man is chained to a post sitting on the small pillar. What I've learned is he cannot speak, he is a wizard, the room is a trap, and he'll be killed if he tries to escape. For whatever reason, he's being kept alive by vampire's henchmen. The reason for the trials are to keep out those who would try to rescue him. (Presumably he has valuable information)

See, I'm over-complicating the whole thing. I can't figure out the solution because my brain is only capable of concocting grand schemes of convoluted bullshit involving spells and shit. The previous trial was solved literally by pouring magical water on a stream of lava. It never occurred to me because I thought it was "too easy" so I sat there for half an hour trying to work with nothing. inb4 "cant fix stupidity", I'm trying to get better. My apologies if this is too bloggy, didn't feel it was worth it's own thread.
>>
>>46472422
Probably an invisible path leading to him. Seems simple enough, try throwing dust out onto the open void.
>>
>>46471301
>>46471377
This especially in out of combat bards are OP as shit and honestly can guide most things out of combat. I ran a bard that was a scoundrel and swindled my way through every encounter the dm threw at me. At one point in time I was disguising myself as a cult leader and tricked the cult into fighting bandits i was supposed to deal with. While they brawled with my party who were unaware of where i was or what i was doing i stole the cults rare bullshit, jacked the bandits ship, and then collected a reward from both the quest giver and his butler sepperately because why the fuck not.
>>
>>46472422
>>46472436
If not this, consider the fact that most vampires can fly by either turning into mist or bats, and most would-be rescuers can't.
>>
>>46472436
I should have mentioned, the dungeon has been described as extremely clean, no debris or dust. Everything is right angles and meticulously crafted
>>
>>46472490
Yup there are "bat-form" vampires high above where the man and our party are. The man made hand motions to communicate that flying or tossing over a rope wouldn't work
>>
>>46472494
Break a part of the wall, there's always ways to get rocks or something. Always ways to get some small shit to toss ahead of you.
>>46472490
While this is true, a vampire's henchmen probably can't fly.
>>
>>46472422
What are the level and composition of your party?

What are the height and material of the pillar and post, and what lies at the bottom of the drop?

Do you know how the room is a trap, or how he will be killed?

Do you know where the henchmen are that keep him alive?

Do you know how they get to him?

And, perhaps most importantly, how much rope do you have?
>>
>>46472535
>L9 Sorc/Vampire Hunter, L9 Fighter/Vampire Hunter
>height is level with the entrance to the room, bottom of the drop is water with a heightened darkness magic. I cast Light on an object and tossed it downwards, It disappeared into black mist after it hit the water
>the man made hand gestures to imply the room was a trap. pointed around the room and made a throat-slitting motion. pointed upwards, then made talon-like hooks with his fingers and another throat slitting gesture
>nope
>only the previous 3 rooms, though I "cheated" the first two by abusing passwall (which I have access to one cast per day via RP stuff)
>none, they had to be abandoned to get to this room. though he made a lasso-motion with his hands and another throat-slitting gesture to convey he'd be killed if he grabbed a rope
>>
File: sad cleric.jpg (119 KB, 492x822) Image search: [Google]
sad cleric.jpg
119 KB, 492x822
>>46469359

>Wayne Reynolds

Overdesigned garbage, but likeable as far as garbage goes.
>>
>>46472696
in other words: Rob Liefeld 2.0
>>
>>46472678
Oh, well shit I'm stumped. Can Vampires see through magical darkness?
>>
>>46472678

uh, kill the vampires?
>>
>>46472328
I...don't hate this. Nice. I wanna roll up a Inquisitive 3 / Monster Hunter 7 now.
>>
>>46472736
Not sure, but the invisible path idea sounds very likely. It's simple, likely to be the solution.
>>46472741
Wish I could, but his vampires are extremely powerful. Definitely couldn't kill more than one
>>
>>46472678
Let's face it - you're going to have to kill the vampires at some point. They've got no reason to play fair and let you just get their prisoner out as you please. You should probably just Fly up till they're within range and start shooting.

With regard to getting out, I see no reason you shouldn't be able to Fly across, but alternatives include bridging the gap with a Wall of Force or Stone, or teleporting across with Dimension Door or similar.
>>
>>46472817

run, jump, Misty Step

the rest of the party will probably join in laughing with the vampires
>>
>>46469722
>>Wayne Reynolds
>He's the Rob Liefield of RPG art.
This, this, this, a thousand times this.
>>
>>46472853
Misty Step doesn't really help with getting back unless you're allowed to teleport the guy along with you while carrying him.

Spider Climb + Water Walking might be another alternative, I suppose.

Hell, you could even Polymorph him into a beast with a Fly speed and guide him out with the appropriate enchantment spells, if you really wanted to.
>>
>>46472328
>they couldn't just call it an Inquisitor
you motherfuckers
>>
File: 1458365787722.jpg (405 KB, 1060x988) Image search: [Google]
1458365787722.jpg
405 KB, 1060x988
>>46472985
DONT YOU WANT TO BE AN INQUISITIVE, ANON?
>>
There doesn't seem to any way to invent Teleportation Circles.

Making a permanent Teleportation Circle requires you to cast the spell every day for a year. But casting the spell requires a valid permanent Teleportation Circle as a target.
>>
>>46473014
No, I want to be a Thieving.
>>
>>46473082
A stealer
>>
>>46473082
Can I do the sneak?
>>
How would one go about making an effective wild magic sorcerer, one that can run into the fight and make sure when everything goes horribly wrong it goes wrong for the enemy more than the team?

I considered Paladin, but the real meat of the not-fucking-yourself-with-surges is 6/7 levels deep and your surge-creating spells compete with your smite for slots.
>>
>>46472985
>>46473014
They really could've easily gone with Detective or Investigator or Dick.
>>
>>46472328
What chruch/god would be most likely to have Inquisitors?

And i'm talking Inquisitors, the motherfuckers who walk around and burn entire cities because there might be something wrong.
>>
>>46473208
Maybe they were leaving those open for later UAs. It doesn't have a weakness for dames who aren't up to any good so it couldn't be Detective anyway.
>>
>>46473139

I would say Lucky feat or Divination wizard but RAW I don't think those work since it only works when "you make an attack roll, an ability check or a saving throw." and the wild magic feature just says "roll a d20", so it doesn't technically count as one of the above.

Your DM might allow it, though. It doesn't seem unreasonable to me.
>>
When a major villain uses a Legendary Action, do you announce it or not?
>>
File: [sad piano].jpg (25 KB, 256x303) Image search: [Google]
[sad piano].jpg
25 KB, 256x303
>>46473264
>tfw you will never have Expertise in Inner Monologuing
>>
>>46473311
It's those ones you can use like instants in mtg, right? If I announce it, it would be described in a way to give the suddenness of it all.
>>
>>46473330
End of another character's turn, but kinda.
I feel like saying, 'it's a legendary action, so don't freak out' might take away from the impact.
>>
>>46473275
The idea is to spam Tides of Chaos for advantage and a better chance at Surging. DM's withheld firm ruling on how often Tides will force a surge compared to the generic Wild Magic, but he said d6 instead of d20 was probably the right ballpark.

The trick will be getting in range for all those "centered on you" and "within 30 ft" surges without getting molested that poses the biggest problem. Not sure if I should be trying to beef up or get mobility.
>>
>>46473311
In a sense:
>Reg: Alright, after my attack, I'll cast Healing Word as a bonus action and my turn's over
>Me: As soon as your spell ends, the vampire in front of you seems to have disappeared. Aeger, the vampire has appeared in front of you miraculously and *rolls d20* punches you square in the gut for 8 damage.
>Aeger: Wait, he already went before Reg, didn't he?
>Me: Indeed.
>>
>>46473024

>You can create a permanent teleportaton circle by castng this spell in the same locaton every day for one year. You need not use the circle to teleport when you cast the spell in this way

>You need not use the circle to teleport when you cast the spell in this way

If there really are no teleportation circles on your entire plane of existence, you inscribe the spell every day for a year but teleport nothing nowhere. Seems pretty straightforward.
>>
>>46473350
During combat, I try to give summaries of what happened in a more flavorful way at the end of every few turns, so I might just tack the ability on at the end before proceeding to the next person.
>>
>>46473370
Would you just answer if they asked how the vampire is apparently breaking the rules of the game or would it just be
>ooh look at me not answering your questions ooh it's so spooky they don't know about legendary actions and I'm keeping them in the dark about game mechanics or possibly just cheating who knows???
>>
I have 3 LV4 PCs (Rogue Swashbuckler, Ranger Stalker, and a new guy who hasn't decided yet) and I was planning for combat to basically be like Lost Planet where they have to fight huge beasties that they could climb up on for some quests.

What could be some problems with this idea?
>>
>>46473519
No. My current players trust me enough to know I won't just flat out fuck with them, and I highly doubt one of them (another of our often DMs) doesn't know about Legendary Actions.

I'm the DM. I'm not gonna cheat, you agree to trust me on that when we set out, just like how I agree you're up front with me when I ask you what your character's like, what he does, what you did when you leveled him. I might fuck something up, but I'm not gonna intentionally cheat.
>>
>>46473543
My players were really confused about legendary actions until I explained them. So, after you use the first one explain what they are as a general concept.
>>
>>46473533
>What could be some problems with this idea?

That if you make them do acrobatics/athletics tests to climb up or stay on the creature, they will fail several in a row and get really irritated their turns are wasted.

DC10 MAX for that sort of stuff
>>
>>46473519
>>46473543
Adding on to this, I might say something along the lines of:
>You could almost say that the vampire was... Legendary...

But I'm a fucking dork, so whatever.

>>46473576
Totally. But after the fight's done. Their characters will figure it out when they do if they don't know about it. Maybe even go do some research in a nearby town and figure out how this creature was breaking the laws of physics and shit without using any spells the Wizard has ever heard of.
>>
If I wanted to refluff some spells as combat maneuvers for an eldritch knight, which ones might be appropriate?
>>
>>46473768
Who in the fuck is going to let you use spells as maneuvers?
>>
>>46473604
Legendary actions aren't meant to represent breaking the laws of physics, they're just supposed to help solo bosses hold up against a full party. There's nothing in inherently supernatural about them.

By not immediately disclosing them as a game mechanic you're actually making them more 'game-y'. It'd be like your PC's wondering why the mercenary war boss takes so many hits to kill, and then stumbling across forgotten tomes that detail how 'levels' work.

>>46473792
I don't think he wants to change the mechanics for them, he just wants to describe 'expeditious retreat' as running faster, or 'shield' as blocking harder. It runs into problems when he hits anti-magic zones and the like though.
>>
>>46473821
>Legendary actions aren't meant to represent breaking the laws of physics, they're just supposed to help solo bosses hold up against a full party. There's nothing in inherently supernatural about them.
Nigga, he takes a movement, and action, a bonus action, a reaction, and three legendary actions in the span of 6 seconds. That's pretty supernatural.

>By not immediately disclosing them as a game mechanic you're actually making them more 'game-y'.
You're an actual idiot. Like, fucking retard levels of idiot.
>>
>>46473322
Well it wasn't DnD, but I've played in a game that has proven that wrong on a personal level at least
>>
>>46473821
>It runs into problems when he hits anti-magic zones and the like though.
could fluff his enhanced physical prowess and martial skill as a sorcerer style bloodline magic thing. he has the blood of the spartans in him or something, which magically enhances him in various ways during combat. then when antimagic comes into it, fluff it as the antimagic canceling out the magic of his blood
>>
>invited to a game by friends
>only one I don't know is the GM
>start at 6th level
>go monk
>GM gives to each PC a magic item/weapon
>paladin gets a magical full plate
>barb gets a magical greataxe (he has GWM)
>wiz gets a magical staff and a wang
>I get a +2 longsword
>...
>never use it
>GM gets upset about this, asks me why
>"because martial arts, non monk weapon and str 8"
>throw a tantrum over my "entitlement"
ok
>session ends there
Srly thinkng on not showing in the next session

Btw, am I missing something? did they change martial arts/monk weapon rules? is now longsword a monk weapon?
>>
>>46474546
No. If he actually mentioned entitlement he's a baby man.

But no, longswords don't work with Martial Arts. Maybe ask him if this one does?
>>
>>46474570
I asked him, at the begining of the session, if the sword could do something else, he gave me the looks and replied with "isn't +2 enough?" so I don't think it's monk weapon or even finesse.

Maybe it's all a misunderstanding, but the way he's behaving is really making me want to quit.
>>
>>46474603
Ah, it also seems that I'm the only one with a +2 weapon, rest seem to be +1 with minor effect
>>
>>46474546
Just try talking to him, tell him what type of Monk you're trying to play. Dude seems like he's got his mindset on how you should be playing, and it ain't the way you want to play.

If that mature conversation don't fit. It's time to stop attending those sessions because fuck that noise. That's a great way to start a game imo though, so the dude can't be completely off-edge, try talking to him see if that takes.
>>
>>46474603
Offer the sword to the paladin or something to make clear that you don't want it. And talk to the guy about it. Ask why he thinks you should use a weapon that turns off half of your classes features.
>>
>>46474546
>wiz gets a magical staff and a wang
Run, he's already magical realming you.
>>
>>46474603
Talk to him in private about it. It seems like he wants you to use the sword, made a fundamental mistake, and doesn't want to own up to it (at least not in front of everyone else). He might genuinely not know that longswords can't be finessed, can't be used with Martial Arts, and is a useless item for you and would be better off with the Paladin.

Just make sure to explain these things to him. Start off with "do you know why I'm not using the +2 Longsword? It's a great weapon, and would be great in someone else's hands, but my class features really don't let me take advantage of it. I don't even have proficiency with Longswords. I'm not asking for anything to replace it, I'm sure the group can use it, but I personally really can't." or something.

Just make sure it's clear to him why you don't use it.
>>
>>46474546
>>46474603
sounds like a misunderstanding that has escalated needlessly because he's easily upset.

he either knew that longsword doesn't work with monks, but thought that giving you a +2 instead of a +1 would make for an interesting trade-off? or (more likely) he didn't know, maybe confused with shortsword, gave you a sick +2 weapon he thought you could use effectively, and got mad that you weren't using it
>>
>>46474658
>>46474651
I thought about giving it to the paladin or the barb, but the paladin has polearm master and sentinel and the barb has great weapon master. Still, they can use it properly not like my character.

I'll calmly talk to him.
>>
>>46474702

That's really the only way you can resolve this.

If he still doesn't understand, and he's going to keep being angry about you not wanting to use a weapon that is literally useless to your class, then leave. There's no telling what shit he might pull in the future if something this simple sets him off.
>>
Maybe it's because you're a new player, I sadly know a couple of GMs who act a little too belligerent towards new players
>>
thoughts on phantom steed? i'm looking at it right now and seems really underwhelming. a level 3 spell that takes a minute of casting, for only an hour of horse. and horses are so easy to find and cheap to buy anyway. the 100ft speed is nice but i feel like there's something i'm missing. the only redeeming feature i can see is that it's a ritual
>>
So what spells are worth stealing if you're going Lore Bard? Specifically, spells that will give either great utility to the party via out of combat benefits, buffs in combat, or a very potent damage spell (for those times when you want to give a big 'fuck you' to whatever you're fighting).

From what I've seen, the best options seem to be Haste, Fly/Mass Fly, Heal/Mass Heal, Aura of Vitality, Swift Quiver, Disintegrate, Sunbeam/Sunburst, Wish, Counterspell, and True Resurrection.
>>
>Go to play second campaign with roommate
>He seems to have googled what the "best" Cleric build is and just gone from there
>He basically did the same for his first character

On one hand that shit seems cheesy as fuck to me but on the other he's at least putting a decent bit of effort into RP, or more learning to RP since I think he's new to tabletop and plays mostly MOBA faggotry games where googling what the "meta" is isnt frowned on.
>>
>>46474936
My suggestions are aura of vitality and haste, circle of power and destructive wave (since you can control who it targets), and when you get to the two you get at level 18, wish and mass heal. Overall a very powerful support spell-line with some combat potential to help in times of crisis.
>>
File: 1459407731841-2.png (47 KB, 132x165) Image search: [Google]
1459407731841-2.png
47 KB, 132x165
>>46469359
>What do you think of 5th edition's art direction?
>>
>>46473024
There's no way to invent any of the spells in the PHB. Spell invention isn't a mechanic.
>>
>Want to roll a battlerager thanks to GM removing restrictions on both rager and bladesinger
>The MAD it implies
Fuck
>>
>>46475219
But battlerager is really rather bad
>>
>>46475228
For the levels we play I find it way better than berserker
>>
>>46475219
Edgelord detected
>>
Going to help some newbies make characters today.

Any tips?
>>
>>46475219
>MAD
>Uses literally only Strength and Constitution.

...excuse me?
>>
>>46475312
>bladesinger
>>
>>46475318
But he actively said he wanted to play a Battlerager. All he said about the Bladesinger was that the restrictions were removed from it.

Fine, in that case.
>MAD
>Uses literally only Dexterity and Intelligence.
>>
>>46475312
And Dex, spiked armor is medium therefore you need 14 on Dex
>>
>>46475330
>Melee caster without Con
Kay
>>
>>46475330
Str and Con (and Dex, to a lesser extend) for Barb, and Int for Bladesinger.

At best, he forgoes Dex entirely and goes Str, Con, Int.
>>
>>46475337
You should always have at least 14 Dex if you want to play a barb.
>>
>>46475337
Once you get to 6th level you don't need Dex at all, reckless abandon is pretty good.
>>
File: Void-Touched Elves.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
Void-Touched Elves.pdf
1 B, 486x500
Ctlhufag here again. Since my pdf got too big to be uploaded on /tg/, I just made a Google Drive folder. I'll also upload my other random homebrew there, in case somebode for some unfathomable reason needs stuff like rock-themed druids or my homebrew setting's version of dark elves (with 90% less femdom and backstabbing, but 200% more Cthulhu and cool masks).

I should at some point do a rework of the flesh-warping/body-horror themed class that got me started on the whole "making Cthulhu things for 5th edition" thing, as well as do a proper port of my deep sea merfolk race to 5th edtion, and add them there as well.
>>
>>46471620
Orc ISIS just made it into my setting.

Why are the Orcs terrorists, what methods do they use to suicide attack, what targets do they choose?
>>
>>46474877
>11 minutes to cast Phantom Steed
>49 minutes into your ride, begin preparing the ritual again
>repeat from beginning
>>
>>46474877
It's like you don't even want to be a ghost rider in the sky, Anon.
>>
>>46474949
On the plus side, 5e is pretty tight in balance, so the difference between the 'best' cleric and a normal cleric is pretty small. Stuff can get weird if he starts pulling out three different multiclasses, but even then they only tend to get an impressive gimmick that doesn't actually increase their power.
>>
>>46475566
...I'm also apparently a colossal idiot and forgot to post the link to the folder. My bad.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B870SxpJRqtDVDBCY3daRnB3Mkk
>>
>>46476015
Well, you know, I didn't want to say anything, but...
>>
>>46475303
>please respond
>>
>>46475303
>>46476173
Uh... Read the book?
It's pretty straight forward.
If you have more specific problems we can try to help.
>>
>>46476186
My players are people who never played an RPG before I ran them through a dozen sessions of 5e with premade characters.

I'm looking for general advice on helping them with creating characters, not specific advice on creating characters in 5e.
>>
>>46476215
They should have an idea of how characters work, let them pick a class and a race since those are the two biggest decisions to be made and put some numbers to the page. You can use starting packages for gear if you want to keep it nice and straightforward. You'll find some people want to customize their characters a lot more than others. That's natural. Decide beforehand whether you want them to roll for stats or use the standard array. Array is quicker and leaves less people feeling bitter about uneven rolls.
>>
>>46475303
>>46476173
Use the PHB is the biggest and best tip I can give you.

Other than that, my best suggestions for character creation is to:
>Make sure your players know what type of character theme they want to aim for before you suggest classes BG, and ect.
>Always have your players choose their class before doing anything with race and ability scores.
>Use standard array with them. Teaching them point buy for their first characters is plausible but more complicated than it is worth. Never go for a roll system for ability scores unless you want to risk having an imbalanced party.

Hope that all helps.
>>
My level 7 character got turned into a dragon. Think there's any way for me to not get NPC'd by my DM?
>>
>>46476250
>>46476241
My biggest concern (and the one you both sort of skipped over) is with backstory and character design.

Remember, they're people who have never roleplayed before I took them under my wing.

Maybe I'm over thinking it, but I feel like they'll need a lot of guidance to sort of "get into character", so to speak.
>>
>>46476255
>Talk to the DM about not becoming an NPC
>revert back somehow

Those are the only two options I think you have. Though in truth, unless the game is an AL game, the DM should not NPC your character just because you got turned into a dragon. Unless you became an adult or ancient dragon. Then I could understand why your character could become a NPC.
>>
>>46476285
The default character sheet has a lot of spots for backstory related stuff. That should be enough until the characters get out of "one shot by the skeleton" territory.
>>
>>46476285
Backgrounds have tables to roll traits for. That's a step up from premades that you said you have already done. From there they can move onto writing stuff for themselves.
>>
>>46476285
>Make sure your players know what type of character theme they want to aim for before you suggest classes BG, and ect.

>My biggest concern (and the one you both sort of skipped over) is with backstory and character design.

I did cover that. But anyways, Just tell them to create a character backstory. Unless they are young preteens or incompetent, they should know what a backstory is and in turn should know how to make one on their own. If they tell you they have a bad imagination or just cant come up with anything they like, direct them to my personal favorite part of 5e, the background section of the PHB and let them skim through it to find character ideas.
>>
>>46476302
What's an AL game?

It is an adult dragon
>>
>>46476482
Adventure League

And I'm assuming the game is not AL since you didn't know of it.

Anyways, there is a fair chance you will become an NPC then if your character does not seek to revert back to normal. Mostly because it would be hard for such a large creature to travel with the party, and it would be awhile before the enemies your party fight are a threat to you, so that would create an imbalance that would be hard to accommodate for. But again, talk to your DM and maybe they will be merciful or something.
>>
File: 1459650666260.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
1459650666260.pdf
1 B, 486x500
Looking for a balanced Archivist homebrew. How's the Wizard entry in this?
>>
>>46476015
>makes me log in
Why?
>>
>>46476015
>>46476599
I can't even open it after logging in. Can you upload to mega?
>>
>>46476538
The thing is, that aside from Legendary actions, the barbarian and the sorceress both have damage per turn outputs averaging about the same as the dragon's multiattack (although nobody is close to having a +11 to hit aside from the barbarian with his advantage from rage, and, come to think of it, the sorceress' fireball doesn't need an attack roll).

He's going to let me have my fun with it for a while but it sounds like I'm almost certainly going to be NPCd. He'll still let me go and do side-stuff as my now-dragon character, so that should be fun.
>>
>>46469359
>Rogues can sneak attack with spells that require ranged attack rolls

Bad idea?
>>
>>46476599
>>46476613
I quess I'll have to figure what's wrong here, or how to set up a mega. Never really done this before.
>>
>>46476638
Here's what you do:
1. Go to Mega. https://mega.nz/
2. Create an account in the top-right corner.
3. Confirm account in email.
4. Free plan.
5. Upload the file.
6. Once uploaded, right-click it and select "get link."
7. Link with key.
8. ???
9. Profit.
>>
>>46471212
>tfw our wizard goes frontline for the yolo
>gets done in 2 turns
>"HOW??"
>>
>>46476618
sounds like it could be fun.
If the DM turned you into a dragon out of the blue and you did not choose this path, then turning it into a npc is the same as killing off your character. If he lets you play it later, then it's not so bad.
>>
When I try to follow the mega I get told the folder doesnt exist, can anyone help?
>>
>>46476618
>He'll still let me go and do side-stuff as my now-dragon character, so that should be fun.

That's how I'd run it as DM. You're NPC'd, but I'll let you do dragon things off screen that will show up later eventually.
>>
>>46472422
Search the whole dungeon, kill all the vampires, then check the pit area to figure out what exactly the trap is and how it works.
>>
File: I run this shit.jpg (39 KB, 500x333) Image search: [Google]
I run this shit.jpg
39 KB, 500x333
>>46476722

>Playing a Wizard
>We're being hit and runned by some invisible faggot hag who's pissed off we killed her sister
>Get tired of her shit
>Get my Raven familiar to use mimicry
>Mimic the sound of her sister dying in agony
>She goes berserker mode, drops any semblance of tactics and just tries to fuck my shit up
>Mfw

I felt kinda bad, GM had it set up as a sort of puzzle fight, we were supposed to track her sounds with perception and pin her down, but it was funny.
>>
File: braggart.jpg (73 KB, 394x786) Image search: [Google]
braggart.jpg
73 KB, 394x786
>>46469359

Going to run OotA. Haven't run this one yet. What should I know? Is it overpowered like HotDQ is? I usually start PC's off as level 2 with those, should I do the same here?
>>
Hello friends, im in need of some advice for cursr of strahd. Id like to introduce strahd at lower levels to play up his interest in ireena and the party as well as his cunning. I want to have him disguised as a doctor who the priest in barovia suggests should accompany the group to vallaki. After being attacked by a group of strahd zombies his preoccupation with ireena will be what reveals him to the party (perhaps they catch him trying to feed on her) there may be a small fight where strahd proves himself the much stronger foe and following that he will after giving a short monologue welcoming the pcs to barovia.

Is this too difficult to pull off? Or a dumb idea all together?
>>
So i'm planning on using the Otherworld cosmology from the DMG for my 5e game, but i'm having some problems figuring out how certain spells would function, Astral Projection being one of them. Should it just project them into the Otherworld or into a Transitive Plane between it and the Mortal World. There are places where there is an Interstice between the Mortal World and Otherworld, which both colour the Mortal World in a particular way and provide paths to travel to the Otherworld, without the use of a Transitive Plane, so i'm thinking Astral Projection just projects your Astral form into the Otherworld.
>>
>>46477336
That's hilarious, I wanna hear more. Longer greentext of this story pls? Other stories?
>>
>>46477458
Not this anon, but I'll ask a similar question.

I haven't played much 5e, or DnD at all. I'm writing my next campaign with its own cosmology.

What sort of stuff like this do I need to be aware of? Is there a list somewhere of "every thing that interacts with otherworldly entities"?
>>
I'm playing 5e for the first time. My character is a Lucky Human Rogue with Criminal Origin. I wanted to take Crossbow Expert but I'm not sure if that's a good idea since it's benefit would compete with other uses for a bonus action. I'm more into roleplaying aspect of the game but I want to know what do you guys consider an "optimal build" for mastermind?
>>
>>46471893

You probably want a Rogue or a Monk. Thief and/or Open Hand Monk. Maybe a combination. Thief lets you use objects with your cunning action, Monks are the most mobile class in the game and Open Hand gets Stunning Strike as well as the ability to trip or move opponents around with Flurry of Blows.

If you can get feats get mobile, so you can attack and then get out of range without using a bonus action disengage.
>>
>>46477598

There's not much else to tell I'm afraid. A Hag Coven had been terrorizing a city and committing murders, we found the first one in the sewers eating people and killed her (Our Monk was hungry, investigated the stew she was eating, rolled a 1, thought it was pork and ate it), then I used some 2 way divination magic to find the second hag, letting her see us as well so she started sending shades to haunt our Monk until we went and stopped her, and then that happened when we found her.
>>
>>46477336
Sounds like a cool encounter, reminds me of a Bloodborne boss. The twist could've been ... that there are three sisters and the last one was just always invisible!
>>
>>46471079
was the first campaign i played under a semi crap DM, now im a DM myself. it started off >FUN but i have the feeling our DM railroaded the fuck out of us and the last boss's base was way over our heads, with a TPK if not for clear DM-fiat. also the reward for >winning was kinda meh.
>>
>>46471927
your GM a shit, feats are so flavourfull i gave ALL my group a starting feat at level 1 to flesh out their character with..
>>
>>46472678
>>46472422
Can't rope him up, can't walk towards him, maybe you can access him from underneath. Acquire a burrow speed or see if there's a lower floor, break the floor beneath him and pull him down.
>>
>>46477639
The bare minimum they suggest is a plane for fiends, a plane for celestials, a plane for fey, a plane for the dead, some way for spells or monsters that use the Astral and Ethereal Planes to function and a way of getting between them all. Optional planes include a specific plane for deities, though you could just say they dwell with the other extraplanar entities, and a plane for elementals though you could just say that spirits of the elements exist on the material plane.
>>
>>46477369
Do level 1. My party and I were new to D&D with OotA being our first campaign. Made our characters and everything and we met in the OotA cage with no gear. Managed to escape our first day and it was fucking bad ass.
>>
File: planes.png (513 KB, 602x556) Image search: [Google]
planes.png
513 KB, 602x556
>>46477639
Here's a snippet from the DMG.
>>
>>46477749
>>46477734
What's the point of the Astral Plane / Astral Projection?

What is it supposed to allow for?
>>
>>46477821
Travelling to these other dimensions.
>>
>>46476584
Bump for interest. Here's another one I found. Both look reasonable?
http://gloomwatch.blogspot.com/2015/08/the-archivist-5e.html
>>
>>46477821
This: >>46477839, and some extraplanar entities might live there. Ethereal Plane is obviously for ghosts and stuff.
>>
>>46477639
I cheat
Basically i treat the "space between planes and worlds" as the Warp
As in the 40k Warp.

You have, in my setting, Olympus/Asgard for the Celestials and the 9 circles of Hell for Fiends/Demons
Then you have the 4 elemental planes
The Material Plane for PCs
and the Warp as the glue that holds everything together

Souls are basically concentrated Energy that the Gods/Devil fight over for power.
>>
>>46477872
>Ethereal Plane is obviously for ghosts and stuff.
Which doesn't make much sense as the Ethereal Plane isn't connected to an afterlife. It's like a place between matter.
>>
>>46477918
Ghosts haven't move on to the afterlife. That's why they're ghosts. They're just slightly outside reality, but still connected to it for whatever reason. Hence being on the Ethereal Plane.
>>
File: giphy.gif (2 MB, 400x267) Image search: [Google]
giphy.gif
2 MB, 400x267
>Forever DM is bored
>Wants to be a player
>Nobody else knows how to DM
>I offer even though I have the creativity of a can't even come up with something creative here
>>
>>46477951
Creativity is a meme, just steal from things you like

If you get stuck at "blank page syndrome" use a random generator to get started
>>
>>46476692
Ok, hopefully it works now: https://mega.nz/#F!EkUC2TAK!N0S0xIhIHeNhC7ANim00KQ
>>
>>46477336
Enraging her through mimicking her dying sister sounds like a puzzle's solution to me!

(Admittedly, a solution more akin to lighting the puzzle on fire...)
>>
>>46477749
The word "plane" should've been replaced by "place" in all but the last bullet point.

Don't force weird cosmology onto people. If demons use portals to attack the world, it doesn't matter if they're from the Plane of Hell or Antarctica, and the latter is arguably more interesting.
>>
So I'm trying to get the max out of my Favored Enemy as a Ranger, but the DM keeps forgetting (or just plain doesn't know) what creature type the monsters are. Is it bad form if I check the MM to see if my character should have extra knowledge about something?

Also, something that came up last session. Can a Ranger tell who has his Hunter's Mark if there are several identical creatures, one of which has been previously marked? Can he tell if he deals extra damage through Hunter's Mark?
>>
>>46478126
Considering he gets advantage to spot it, I think he has a really good idea which one it would be. Honestly, it seems like Hunter's Mark gives you the bonus damage because he is good at keeping track of the target.
>>
>>46478126
>you have advantage on any Wisdom (Percepton) or Wisdom (Survival) check you make to find it.

It lasts for up to an hour at level 1, and during this time you def know for sure which thing you have targeted. I am trying to figure out a situation where you don't somehow? Do you and your DM just not read the manual?

Also, as far as if you deal extra damage through the hunters mark, you are the motherfucker thats got to roll the damage here (1d6 for each attack roll that hits). So once again, I don't see how you wouldn't know, since you are the guy rolling.
>>
File: GMAdvice1.jpg (47 KB, 966x114) Image search: [Google]
GMAdvice1.jpg
47 KB, 966x114
>>46477951
Steal like a mofo and refluff if necessary
>>
>>46476250
Get the fuck outta here anon. Rolling for stats is where its at! I bet you post on furricord too.
>>
>>46478268
Chekhovs gun kinda feels like shit here.
RPGs are designed to emulate real life, with you playing people in them. Not everything in real life is significant, and sometimes things are described/made-up-on-the-spot because somebody just asks about them, or something. That doesn't make em a big deal. Suddenly mandating anything that gets any amount of attention to be "plot-significant" is weird.
This isn't a book with a limited page count or a movie with "gotta fit in everything in under 90mins."
>>
>>46478335
>Rolling for stats is where its at

begone
>>
>>46478393
Never!
>>
>>46478381
I greatly disagree. RPGs don't emulate real life at all. Some can sure, but it's never the same. By giving only important things significant detail you both save yourself as a DM work, and leave things open for interpretation or development through play.
>>
>>46478381

No, but you don't need to be wasting people's time with boring, irrelevant detail. Much of real life is boring, and that's why we play games that focus on more interesting things. If players are interested enough in something to ask about it, then make it worth their time to ask. You don't have to make every candelabra and salad fork integral to the plot, but you can always find a way to tie it into the world you're building and make a richer experience out of it.
>>
>>46469359
>5e art
I strongly dislike it. Some of the pieces (for example, all of the handling illustrations) are so bad that they actually make people laugh with disgust. And I don't understand why it's so difficult for WoTC to hire some decent artists. Look at B/X and 1e D&D, they still look awesome. Look at DCC and BW and Torchbearer, these modern games look great and build on the classic D&D style. 5e art looks like shit-tier magic cards.
>>
>>46478496
>handling = halfling. Fucking phone.
>>
File: 1e-races.jpg (109 KB, 500x612) Image search: [Google]
1e-races.jpg
109 KB, 500x612
>>46478496
>Look at B/X and 1e D&D, they still look awesome.
>>
>>46478496
>Look at B/X and 1e D&D, they still look awesome.
[laughing intensifies]
70s and 80s trends and aesthetics in fantasy is actual, literal trash. Go home.
>>
>>46477384
Sounds like something he'd do. He is supposed to regularly fuck with the party, and he's powerful enough to do so in disguise AND he doesn't give a fuck about daylight. Use ideas like that, Strahd should appear every other session or so, maybe more frequently if you have long sessions. He should always be on their minds.
>>
>>46477951
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gXlfXirQF3A
>>
File: amazing.png (69 KB, 445x540) Image search: [Google]
amazing.png
69 KB, 445x540
>>46478521
>>
File: FiendFolioCover.jpg (27 KB, 226x300) Image search: [Google]
FiendFolioCover.jpg
27 KB, 226x300
>>46478496

You seriously think pic related is better than the stuff we're getting in 5e these days? I mean, I've got as big a nostalgia boner for 1e as anyone—I'm running a 1982 module right now—but get real.
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 49

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.