[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/bgg/ Board Game General - token existence edition
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 68
Thread images: 17
File: BGG Token Life.jpg (236 KB, 720x624) Image search: [Google]
BGG Token Life.jpg
236 KB, 720x624
Time for a new General!

All the /bgg/ swag that's fit to beg, borrow, or steal!

http://pastebin.com/V9c2a6wU

(And yes, I'll get a new pastebin up soon with the updated list of video reviewers...)

> What's your favorite game base solely on the quality of the artwork or components? (Bonus points if the rules also kick ass.)

> What are you playing / looking forward to playing soon?

> What (if anything) is on your buy list / KS incoming list?
>>
File: Hate Mail.jpg (771 KB, 1000x818) Image search: [Google]
Hate Mail.jpg
771 KB, 1000x818
>>46355526
>> What's your favorite game base solely on the quality of the artwork or components? (Bonus points if the rules also kick ass.)

Euro Games - Archipelago & Terra Mystica

Ameritrash - Gears of War & Specter Ops

>> What are you playing / looking forward to playing soon?

Anything! Though hopefully some Citadels and 404 Law Not Found soon.

>> What (if anything) is on your buy list / KS incoming list?

I got a parcel...
with Fury of Dracula...
from Florida!...

HATE MAIL!!!

Actually it has been a really good week or two for new games at my place. ;)

Strong Hold 2nd Ed.
BattleCruiser
Eminent Domain Exotica expansion
Fury of Dracula
7 Wonders Duel
& Mission Red Planet.
>>
> What's your favorite game base solely on the quality of the artwork or components? (Bonus points if the rules also kick ass.)
404: Law Not Found. There are chits with monkeys on them.
I'm going on a family holiday soon, which will coincide with two meetups - sucks, but what can you do? To make up for that, I'm planning on taking a few light games to teach the pleb-tier in-laws - Gemblo, Love Letter, Wildlife Rescue, etc.
Nah, I'm good right now. I might get a second-hand copy of Corto from Noble Knight Games, if I definitely can't get it any cheaper. Either that, or the new Star Wars Risk, I've heard good things about that.
>>
>>46355526
No comment. Neither artwork nor components matter that much as far as I am concerned.

The usual. Some power grid and chaos in the old world. I am looking forward to a game of arkham horror, which should be played this week, with some expansions I haven't tried. I don't particulary like the gameplay in arkham horror at all. It will be interesting to try it with something different than base game + dunwich though.

Conan: Monolith. I haven't really checked anything about it. I am curious though as to how it will turn out, considering that I enjoy Conan.
>>
File: pic2367633.jpg (287 KB, 600x382) Image search: [Google]
pic2367633.jpg
287 KB, 600x382

I really like Race/Roll for the Galaxy for the art. Not a fan of teaching Race because people can't into iconography. But Roll is great and simple and everybody basically can play their turn at once.

Playing A Game of Thrones: The Card Game second edition with my bro every weekend. Nights Watch is best watch. Also getting into Lord of the Rings: The Card Game and been playing that solo. Pretty tough game to git gud at. I'll probably end up buying everything there is to buy because I'm a fucking completionist.

Looking to get Race! Formula 90 next. Everybody in my group loves racing games for some reason. Been playing Thunder Alley with the family lately and it's really cool. Pic related. Much better and less random than Formula D even though i love rolling dice.
>>
>>46355526
>Game art & components
I love the cartoony chill mood on Takenoko and Tokaido, so relaxing. Guess no bonus points for me.
>Playing / looking forward to
Waiting for TI3 expansions to arrive soon, also, sending Shattered Ascension to the printer. I'm gonna tie me some faggots to their chairs if that's what it takes for it to get played.
>Buy / KS
Lotsa stuff, but for now it's either Rex, Android or Viticulture + Cthulhu Realms + 2 Netrunner datapacks.
>>
>>46355526

>Dominion, probably

>Secret Hitler, in real life

>Maybe Power Grid after I move. Maybe, just so I can actually own a respectable board game.
>>
>>46357228
I wanted to ask something about aGoT 2.0.
is really that slow as people tell to me or that is just in Melee mode? how is the playing experience in joust?
also how do you stand something like the Targaryen "fire" power? I mean shit this thing is made to kill all your units by just debuff them until they are out of the way.
>>
>>46355526
Ooh, that's a tough one; I love the art on almost all of my games. If I had to go with a released game that I have on hand then I suppose Cthulhu Wars takes it. If we're allowing unreleased KS games, then Scythe, hands down.

Tomorrow is game day and I have no fewer than 6 requested games. Last week I was asked to bring Argent, Assault on Doomrock, Cthulhu Wars, Kemet, Thrash n' Roll and Viceroy by various people at my regular group. I don't even know how I'm going to make space for the games I want to play! What an incredible problem to have.

Oh god I am an incorrigible collector and KS backer. On the incoming front, there's Millennium Blades which is so close I can fucking taste it. People in Europe are getting their copies as I speak. I neeeeeeeed it. I neeeeeeeeeeed it. Beyond that I don't have anything until May, where Simurgh and Project Elite are supposed to show up. And then fall hits and I get like five KS deliveries a month for a bit... or something thereabouts, at least.

And, of course, self control isn't a thing that I evidently have, so I've got no fewer than three active projects that I'm backing. Currently in on Pack 'o Games SET 2, cause I'm a sucker for microgames, Kharnage, cause there really isn't any aggressive ameritrashy filler out there, and Santorini cause pic related. I mean holy fuck the charm factor is through the roof there. And it's a game that I can play both with my game group and my six year old nephew. I mean, seriously, the classic rules is simpler than checkers for crying out loud, but with the variable player powers mixed in the replayability goes through the roof. And that presentation, my god. It's just a simple abstract game, but man I'm excited.
>>
>>46359570
>Oh god I am an incorrigible collector and KS backer.
Finally. Have you had a look at monoliths Conan?
>>
Thoughts on sentinels of the multiverse?
>>
>>46359808
I did not really look at Conan, no. It's not really my kind of game; I traditionally haven't enjoyed any one vs. many dungeon crawlers on the market. That, combined with its enormous amount of exclusives pretty much precluded me backing it.

I just can't in good conscience support that style of business, you know? It's actually something I'm struggling with a bit here. Kharnage is the first game I've backed that actually has gameplay KS exclusives, out of 28 total projects, and it's bothering me. On the one hand, it hits all the spots and tickles my fancy just right like I want from a KS. I feel I can safely say that I'm not backing it because of the emotional manipulation that exclusives represent. But, I can also say that I would never buy it at retail without the exclusives, because they decided to make the 5th player expansion an exclusive and I almost always play with 5 players. So, I'm torn on whether or not I want to support that kind of thing.
>>
>>46359033
Haven't played melee mode yet. The longest joust game i've had has been about an hour and a half at 10 full game rounds. The only reason i don't want to play melee is because i think it would drag on. Otherwise, it sounds cool. As to the targ fire cards, I haven't played much against them. I don't see it as a super power or anything though. If you're playing against them, you're taking those cards into account and would play around that knowledge. It's kind of like that with all the factions. Nights Watch is gonna be defensive and stall, baratheon is gonna kneel your characters and go for dominance, greyjoy is gonna stealth and go unopposed, etc...
>>
>>46359964
simple rules make for a good co-op card game. takes some thought and planning to tackle the tougher villains. Every hero seems to play quite differently. Lots of expansions if you dig it. My buddy and i were getting our asses handed to us time after time until we both played 2 characters each. That made it much easier.
>>
Has anyone played Warfighter , the card game of Spec Ops?

Also, does anyone know of a good naval game you could play solo that isn't from DvG?
>>
>>46360639
and the okay taht's the longest joust you had but for how long it usually drags a single joust. I'm thinking into get a core (or more because fuck FFG) because I feel attracted to the world of aGoT but the game being "slow" is something that makes me consider really the game.
>>
>>46360829
...and now I realise that I wrote this last reply like a real retard.sorry.
>>
>>46360796

>Also, does anyone know of a good naval game you could play solo that isn't from DvG?

You could play Steal Ocean or World of Warships?

GMT has a couple of solo naval combat games.
Not sure exactly what you're looking for.
Try going to Boardgamegeek and doing an advanced search for nautical games playable by 1 - turns up quite a few results.
>>
>>46355526
Conquest of the Empire by far has the greatest quality of components of any game I own. The amazingly sculpted silver and gold coins with the horsemen and SPQR on the back. The beautiful oversized map with the equally massive miniatures. The catapults that actually have moving parts to it. Beautiful game.

I just bought Dead of Winter and Twilight Imperium 3 (Plus expansions) The former we'll be playing Saturday...the latter will be next week. I'm really excited to play both, especially Imperium which has been on my list a long time.

I don't keep track of kickstarters, and I always miss the really good kickstarters like Blood Rage.
>>
>>46359964
It's not a very good game, at all. The game virtually plays itself with how simple it is and how few options it presents.
>>
>>46361557
>Conquest of the Empire
Oh jeez I have this sitting in my closet. I got it years ago when I didn't know jack shit about boardgames and only ever played 3 games of it. I've been afraid to re-read the rules in case they're terrible.

I guess it's about time to take the plunge, again. Recently gotten my game group mad about Eclipse so I'm sure they'll be able to deal with Conquest.

Still took out and played with the catapults on occasion though.
>>
>>46360796
The Hunters - you play a German sub trying to complete missions and survive as the allies improve their anti-sub tech during WW II.
>>
>>46357304
>Sending shattered ascention to the printer.
Nice! Did my set myself, looking forward to them hopefully locking in the ruleset to a finished product hopefully this year so iI can stop putting off updating them to the latest patch.

>>46360796
Wish I had some warfighter plays under my belt so I could advise. Been putting off getting it for a year under the "why don't I just replay jagged alliance 2 again" rationale.
>>
>>46361103
I was actually thinking more modern. Like if I could do a Solitare Harpoon game that'd be awesome - too bad all of the super-modern naval games are either shit, autism, or hyperexpensive.

>>46362637
I downloaded it already, but, I think that I'm going to get an actual copy of them.
>>
>>46363809

What about Empire of the Sun?

Compass Games appears to have a couple of solo-playable submarine games:
Silent War
Steel Wolves

The historical wargame general thread may have some ideas for you, too.
>>
File: Raid on St. Nazaire.jpg (59 KB, 397x543) Image search: [Google]
Raid on St. Nazaire.jpg
59 KB, 397x543
>>46363809
>I downloaded it already, but, I think that I'm going to get an actual copy of them.

Yeah, sadly I don't get many opportunities to play classic hex and chit war games any more. So I got that and snagged a mint copy of pic related.
>>
File: High Frontier.jpg (859 KB, 3110x2074) Image search: [Google]
High Frontier.jpg
859 KB, 3110x2074
Has anyone played High Frontier?

Or know where a complete copy of the rules online might be? I'd like to play it once for the experience
>>
>>46366542

All I know about it is that the board is incredibly gorgeous.
>>
>>46366542
I've played it solo.

The Alive & Complete rules are uploaded on BGG. There's also a 3rd edition VASSAL module around there somewhere, too.

It is one hell of an experience.
>>
Anyone here play Descent 2ed?

I was going to get a group together and I was wondering what the best adventure for them to start on is.
>>
>>46366751

I've played a bit of it.
The campaign & adventures in the core box are a fine place to start.

I'm not super impressed with it as a game, desu. Despite the high production values it feels like something from the late 80s mechanically.

If you haven't picked it up yet you might want to consider something else.
>>
>>46366751
>>46366842
I've played it too, and I think the core box campaign is the worst one published. 80% of it is racing to a location, or racing back. The newer adventures have a lot more varied mission objectives.
>>
Someone tell me about Clash of Cultures. It looks really nice but I've heard literally nothing about it and that worries me.
>>
Just pre-ordered infinity blades and threw archipelago on there for free shipping, I'm excited!
>>
File: image-02-700x484.jpg (578 KB, 700x484) Image search: [Google]
image-02-700x484.jpg
578 KB, 700x484
Is there any incremental board games that start you off earning 5-10 whatever per round and end up in the millions to billions range?
>>
>>46355526
>What's your favorite game base solely on the quality of the artwork or components? (Bonus points if the rules also kick ass.)
I don't think I got any aesthetically pleasing games...

>What are you playing / looking forward to playing soon?
Got a planned session of Triumph&Tragedy coming up.

>What (if anything) is on your buy list / KS incoming list?
Pax Baltica, 2-player grand strategy block wargame covering the Great Northern War.
>>

StarCraft the board game by far. It just looks like StarCraft - from the units to the cards and icons.

The only improvements I can think of is making the tokens on a sheet of metal and changing the ghost mini.
Weekend cominng soon and we'll play StarCraft as usual. The table I ordered will be coming today so I'm looking forward to putting it to a test.

>>
>>46360829
as long as players aren't prone to analysis paralysis, games usually take around 45 minutes. Less if it's a little one sided. I won in around 20 minutes once. And even if it does drag on, it doesn't feel slow to me because both players are always doing something. It isn't "i go, you go" like magic. Both players act in turn order through each phase so there's little down time.
>>
>>46366542
Is the actual board game version even out yet? I know they had production issues because someone they were working with is apparently not very smart when it comes to reading a schematic.
>>
>>46355526

Troyes

Hopefully some heavier stuff than I have been. Another game of Eclipse, Terra mystica, or sometimes would be great.

Millennium blades and Archipelago
>>
File: v-related traditional games2.png (6 MB, 1256x3151) Image search: [Google]
v-related traditional games2.png
6 MB, 1256x3151
>>
Star Wars: Rebellion in stock at coolstuff.
I wish I wanted to buy it.
>>
What deckbuilders other than Dominion and A Few Acres of Snow would you guys recommend? Preferably something that's in print.
>>
>>46372982
>Star Realms (some people think too random)
>Arctic Scavengers (some people think not random enough)
>Nightfall (not in print, but not TOO hard to find)
>>
>>46372982
Arctic Scavengers with the recon expansion is pretty good.

Upper Deck's Legendary system has a lot of great stuff in it from Marvel to aliens/predators.

Core Worlds is good but if you have the Galactic Orders expac it's great.

Trains is a great hybrid of deckbuilding and route building.

Deckbuilding: The Deckbuilding game is a small, fast and simple two player game.

Flip City is also pretty simple and fun.

Star Realms is super popular but I am not too fond of.
>>
>>46372982
I had a damn good time playing Marvel Legendary: Villains a few months ago
>>
File: Xenoshyft Onslought small.png (538 KB, 817x644) Image search: [Google]
Xenoshyft Onslought small.png
538 KB, 817x644
>>46372982
If you like self abuse, try pic related...
>>
>>46367721
>tedious bookkeeping: the game
Do not want
>>
Welp I got my new table today and I think I dun goofed. I asked around here for how big should it be and went with 4' x 6'7" (1.2m x 2m) so it would be large enough to play everything.

It's 4' by 4' (1.2m x 1.2m) when folded and holy shit it's huge, it just looks stupid like a part of floor

I'm hoping that when I get some better sitting arrangement for it so it won't look so stupid. Right now I'm having buyers remorse - still haven't field tested it yet.
>>
File: 1421614974153.jpg (29 KB, 299x265) Image search: [Google]
1421614974153.jpg
29 KB, 299x265
>>46374247
I think you should have just laid out your biggest board game, measured it, and then decide if you want a table that big.
>>
>>46375128
I'm relatively new at this hobby and StarCraft is the biggest game that I own.

Your approach is not future proof though - another game comes a long and is significantly bigger - what now.

I even measured everything but measuring and seeing the real thing is quite a difference.
>>
>>46374247
So it's 4 by 8? I've gamed in tables that size, pretty great for WHFB, X-wing, 4x, mega-Carcassonne and RPGs with lots of handouts and maps... not so much for smaller stuff. We huddled together at one end of the table.
>>
>>46376572
4' by 4' when folded 4' by 6'7" when completely unfolded.
>>
File: tg cattestation.jpg (2 MB, 4250x2391) Image search: [Google]
tg cattestation.jpg
2 MB, 4250x2391
>>46376600
Mine's 4' by 8', and I'd advise people to go about a foot shorter in each dimension for general use.
>>
>>46376634
>>46376600
>>46376572
>>46374247
>tfw bought a 5' diameter table for my basement
Mistakes were made. It helps with TI3 and Exodus, but is too big for pretty much everything else.
>>
>>46376634
Could have mentioned that earlier
http://archive.4plebs.org/tg/thread/43423614/#43481972

Oh well now I have a big ass table I guess I'll have to own it.
>>
>>46376634
>>46376940
Actually re-reading that I think I might be retarded...
>>
File: McKenzie.png (122 KB, 293x260) Image search: [Google]
McKenzie.png
122 KB, 293x260
>>46377004
Good job.
>>
File: commit-sudoku.jpg (571 KB, 819x1157) Image search: [Google]
commit-sudoku.jpg
571 KB, 819x1157
>>46377067
Current status.
>>
>>46377121
At least it'll be comfortable for TI3.
That's a pretty big upside.
>>
>>46377226
I'll have to test it against StarCraft, should be comfortable at 6, not planning to get TI3 but who knows what the future holds - I like Grand Strategy/4X and they're usually big-ass games.
>>
File: Mega Civilization.jpg (90 KB, 720x960) Image search: [Google]
Mega Civilization.jpg
90 KB, 720x960
>>46377288
Get into full-on autist mode hex-and-counter type wargames if you really feel you have to fill out the table. Or pic related perhaps.
>>
>>46373300
Yahtzee!
>>
File: 1436826632710.jpg (767 KB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
1436826632710.jpg
767 KB, 3264x2448
>>46376634
I want to build my own - something along the lines of pic related with a roughly 6 inch wide arm rest and a sunken center area. But I'm not sure if I use a 4' overall width that the 3' remaining sunken area will be wide enough. And Yeah I'd probably go with 6 foot (or 6.5 ft) length leaving 5 (or 5.5) feet of interior width.
>>
>>46378470
I think those are pretty safe dimensions, I've rarely needed all four feet of width outside of TI3 or very ambitious heroes of normandie setups, even when I've got ~8 people playing.
>>
File: ktable.jpg (95 KB, 617x494) Image search: [Google]
ktable.jpg
95 KB, 617x494
>>46376634
Korean folding tables are pretty big and some have a bit of a rim to them, to help keep die from flying off the table.
If you're fine with sitting on the ground, they're pretty good. Plus they store easily.
>>
>>46378470

That table looks like it was designed to cause carpal tunnel syndrome in anyone who sits down at it.
>>
Extendable table master race. Goes from 4' by 4' to 4' by 8'.
Thread replies: 68
Thread images: 17

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.