[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Tell me about your PCs' support teams, /tg/. Do you have
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1
File: somebody's party.jpg (268 KB, 1261x875) Image search: [Google]
somebody's party.jpg
268 KB, 1261x875
Tell me about your PCs' support teams, /tg/. Do you have hirelings/subordinates/loyal followers? Any of them do anything of note or be fun to describe?

I'm half asking because I'm a GM looking for ideas about how to handle this as the PCs' influence grows, and half asking because /tg/ is good for stories.
>>
What system do you run OP? I have stories from 3.5 and Dark Heresy readily available, and a little Anima.
>>
>>46394441
Current game is Pathfinder but I've run 3.5 before.

I have never been in a 40k game (it's not very popular with my friends) but stories always seem to be fun.
>>
>>46394477
>I have never been in a 40k game (it's not very popular with my friends) but stories always seem to be fun.
I'll start with the Dark Heresy story then, since that's the one that's fresher in my mind. I haven't really played a long-term game of 3.5/Pathfinder in a few years so I'd have to sort things out of half-memory.

The party's six characters run by three people: I play a law-obsessed adept and blank guardsman, one of my housemates plays a socially-focused techpriest and a psyker bard, and another friend plays an assassin who dual-wields powerswords and a grandiose cleric.

We sort of picked up our minions along the way, rather than making any concerted effort to recruit them.
>>
>>46394683
>Minion #1: The Skitarius
Our party had stopped by a forge world to track a tainted grain shipment that we believed to be part of a sabotage operation. As we carried out our investigation, we accidentally kicked a hornet's nest of heresy and kicked off a planet-wide civil war between Imperial loyalists (supported by our Inquisitor and all the military forces she could muster) and most of the planet's Mechanicus, who were part of a heretical conspiracy. They'd managed to brainjack most of the planet's residents through some kind of heretek badges with psychic mind control powers.

We're storming some kind of secure facility or another, and for some reason or another we come across a pair of daemons into a room with some brainwashed Skitarii. We decide against entering the room, and the blank leans against the wall (blank fields having been established to break the brainwashing doodads). Most of the Skitarii pass out, and most of the ones that don't fail their WP rolls against OH GOD FUCK DAEMONS WHAT, but there's two guys who manage to keep their shit together.

Meanwhile the party is outside. My adept engages the techpriest and cleric in a philosophical debate. The GM puts on some mood music. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eFbKKsEoQNg

One of the Skitarii is killed pretty quickly by the daemons, but the other rolls dice like a motherfucker and the daemons are rolling like balls warmed over. He stays on the move, somehow avoiding or being missed by every single one of the attacks from both daemons, and manages to keep up return fire.

The party wishes they had brought some cool drinks.

The first daemon goes down, though the Skitarius takes some wounds.

I have to go to a meeting, I'll see if someone else can continue the story or else I will if the thread is still here after my day's responsibilities end.
>>
>>46394363
My character in Pathfinder took leadership and started a cult.

His followers stay at the compound and his cohort (a cleric) is a crafting whore. Fortunately the cleric also has raise dead, which our fighter is quite thankful for since the last adventure.
>>
>>46394800
and I'm back

The fight continues, with us staring increasingly incredulously at the pure bullshit on the GM's dice. While he ends up down to just one or two wounds, the Skitarius scores a lucky shot and the GM rules that he's already killed one daemon, this guy has fate points, so the Emprah's righteous fury takes a huge chunk out of the remaining daemon.

At this point, with the psyker no longer freaking out about the presence of foul beings of the warp, we decide to kick in the doors and announce the presence of the Inquisition, to discover a single Skitarius holding his lasgun over the corpses of a pair of daemons.

He is promptly drafted into the Inquisition, officially as the bodyguard and driver of our party's techpriest (by this point, we're all high-rank enough to have a little pull of our own).

Our party has also acquired an artifact Chimera, which serves as our living quarters and base of operations, of which he has since become the primary driver. He hasn't done anything particularly ridiculous since he killed those two daemons in essentially single combat, but on the other hand I just used the phrase "killed those two daemons in essentially single combat".
>>
>>46396057
>Minion #2: The Maid
After we resolved the civil war through copious amounts of guardsmen and promethium, the party was tasked with finding travel to another part of the Calixis Sector by way of a particular hive world, which we dubbed the Planet of Sidequests.

Among other jobs, like cleansing heretic gangs from the Underhive, some of which we didn't complete (we hold onto hope that one day we may recover the Thigh Bone of St. Frumbert the Irritable), my adept was tasked with defending a local noble charged with the murder of his father. As part of our investigation, we visited their vacation home in another part of the upper hive, where we got into an altercation (read: they kept punching the techpriest, wondering why it didn't do anything) with some unruly local noble youths.

Aside from extorting their families for cash with highly specific threats of legal action (at this point my adept is rolling against a 101 for Scholastic Lore (Judgment)), the very first family we meet is less rich but has the peculiar habit of training their household staff as bodyguards.

One of the maids is quite smitten with our techpriest (the party face); on a whim, we have the psyker roll psyniscience, and one luck roll later it turns out that the maid is a latent psyker. Noting the use of loyal bodyguards, the techpriest arranges to transfer over her contract as part of the settlement from the family.

Since then, she's largely followed around the techpriest (and by extension the rest of us) like a lost puppy; a lost puppy with a particular talent for killing things with monoknives. We plan to drop her off at Terra for sanctioning soon enough, at which point we'll have a second psyker who takes on more of a direct combat role.
>>
>>46396433
>Minion #3: The Criminal
The third minion's only been with us for two sessions, and hasn't done much yet other than be relentlessly trolled by the parth.

After leaving the Planet of Sidequests, we took our shuttle (the Chimera's transport, essentially) to the nearby orbital spaceport, where we attempted to charter a ship to our destination for the smallest price possible (being as we are a bunch of cheap PCs).

It turns out that some massive interstellar hearse was parked nearby, and we needed to buy our passage with corpses. We had a few already from miscellaneous reasons, but we needed a couple more, so my adept, the psyker, and... somebody else (maybe the cleric?) wandered out, being stalked every minute by our assassin, hoping to get mugged and fill the quota.

We were, rather predictably, jumped by three guys; after a bit of trolling on the part of my adept, we establish definite probable cause for self-defense and the assassin kills two of them basically instantly. The third guy panics and passes out, and we decide to keep him because he's funny.

We roll on a random name table; he is Stubber McGee, low-level criminal. (The other two are Tyranius and Kaori, but neither of those names are as amusing as Stubber McGee.)

He's dropped off back at the Chimera confused, and strikes up a card game with Tyranius that lasts the next session, at which point the party returns with a captured Eldar and has Stubber try and interrogate her. Which he does by hitting on her, because he doesn't have any ranks in Interrogate.

(We'd already mind-scanned the Eldar after beating them unconscious, but he didn't know this.)

The Eldar interrogation was the end of the last session, but our plan for him is to set him up as our underworld infiltrator (and pay him well enough that he doesn't care about things like xenos prisoners or trunks full of corpses).
>>
>>46394363
Yes. I have two players who are crazily into simulationism. So we spend hours - between sessions - brooding over agendas, building plans and spreadsheets. Oh... so many spreadsheets.

There is a large amount of supporting cast, with some very important recurring:
> Lharion Löwenarm aka Lharion Zantenpranke
is actually a minor pacticioner with Demons from the sevenths Sphere, but a swell guy all around. He is infact so swell, that the Groups Paladin wose God is Opposed to the Demon Lharion worships became best friends with him.

> Cordovan Weitzmann
who is basically Donald Trump in a medieval wartorn backwater town; whatever the players threw at him when our game started out he rolled on incredibly well - so well with regular crits on skillchecks, that we eventually decided, that he will be acing everything. At first the players hated him, then they loved him, now they realize that he is actually more popular with the People - because the Heroes travel around and do Hero-shit, while Weitzmann is building up Zweimühlen.

This list goes on, but alas I am very tired.
>>
>>46396806
ah what gives, i'll keep going for a little more.

> Zordan von Elenvina
has only one hand and one foot remaining. Each has been taken by some warlord for some real or imagined infraction. He's old and frail and slow - BUT - he is very reliable. The Heroes care for him deeply, always jump hoops around him, try to make him comfy and take care of him, if they are at home for a while.
He's basically like a Grandfatherfigure taking care of business, and their most trusted advisor.

> Maline Ochsenbrecher
Is a small warlord who stayed loyal to the crown when the fecal matter hit the rotationary device. She's been raped, crippled and blinded during the fights to protect her hometown, but still stays in command. Lately she's been taken as a hostage from a quasi-rival nobleman.

Big mistake. While the Nobleman wanted to test the heroes resolve and negotiate a small ransom just to test the waters, he now has a full blown war and murderhobos on his back.

> Der Fette Ron "Fat Ron"
Fat Ron used to be fat and a mercenary captain. Then he got sold to a necromancer. Tortured and bled for ritualistic sacrifice. The heroes rescued him from the Dungeon just in time. He's got a dark Humour and doesnt give a fuck - about anything.

> Reto Waisenmacher
is a Mercenary Major, leading almost 500 Men in total. The Heroes hired him and did not intend on him becoming their Commander in Chief, taking care of campaign business, sieges and partisan warfare. Reto is basically a scumbag who is only loyal to his men, for whom he trys to find a safe space, build a castle and basically retire and hava a proper and steady income as garrisson troops for the next Lord of the Land. Increasingly the Heroes became reliant on him to wage war and win battles while they were out adventuring about, and increasingly they found that their goals and his goals aligned well.

While he was the most reviled scumbag in the beginning, only taken along and hired for merit of his large ass infantry force...
>>
>>46396942
... he has now become the go-to guy for almost anything, and usually the heroes will just follow his advice. In return he has protected them multiple times and gotten their backs in controversial situations, even going so far as to lie and threaten to other commanders within the army, or taking the fall for bad decisions the heroes have made. ( One particular siege was to be lifted via a daring aerial assault wich was unsupporteable. Reto Waisenmacher advised harshly against it in private, but when the heroes held onto the plan he openly supported their plan in war council. He then arranged his own Elite Infantry under his and his second in command to take the heat of the shit.

It turned out better than expected, and even though Waisenmacher took heavy fucking casualties ( one Banner of 100 men reduced to ONE ( 1 ) remaining warrior making a brave stand and holding the line ); in the End the Siege was won for the heroes.

And this turned out as a godsend: The Besieged enemy party could have losted for MONTHS upon MONTHS, while the Heroes were in dire need of fast advancements to connect dispersed smaller troop contingents.
>>
>>46397003
> Illyana Kurtz
was a blockade breaker heavy stormsoldier aboard a modern frigate with the not-Renaissance-Italy&France of the Setting. Our heroes first met her during a daring nightraid in which some notviking Raiders attacked the fleet while marooned in port.

Kurtz was just some sergeant nearby, but she was the one who held one of our heroes side when it all went downhill. Eventually the Heroe was locked in 1v1 battle with an enemy mage, throwing around creative spells and basically blasting one of the fleets ships to hell in the process.

Illyana Kurtz menawhile was left to fend for her life against an Ice Elemental,which was later supported by 3 notViking Raiders. She fell, she almost bled out, she got crazy amounts of cold-burns but survived, though scarred for life.

Later our Heroes chose her to lead the second boardingparty to sink a Ghostship. Illyana fought bravely, but ultimatgely she and her gang were no match for the Pirateghosts. She lost more than half her lifeforce permanently, got infertile and lost all her hair, but during their fighting retreat the Heroes just wouldnt let her be left behind. So they rescued her.

Later on she was almost burnt to death by lava. She was basically one of the NPCs to ALWAYS accompany the heroes if it was possible. Being an NPC she can't even fucking compete anywhere close to the level the heroes are at - but she soldiers on. And she's gotten a good rep for it.
>>
>>46397124
> Vitario R. Paligan "the Shadow Prince of the South"
was born with more money than sense or anything else really. He's an arrogant prick of dubious morals at best. Over the course of their adventures, he was the guy who infiltrated a demon infested murdercitiy with them, got them Intel nobody else could, starteda civil war in notArabistan.

Later he took the fall for that same civil war and most of the blame - because being the egotistical prick he was, he commandeered the ship belonging to another party member to escape a losing battle.

He later showed up with a huge ass army financed through loans and daddies moneyz in the Wildermark. Having had a long history with the heroes, the regard him carefully. While he did feed them vital information for shit going on in all the hotspots one could imagine, he is also known to sacrifice allies at a whim. Most notoriously so: He stood on the battlefield alongside a Noble Baron and his Knights on one day, then did a powermarch and overtook him on the way back home, sieged the Barons Castle, then burnt down a city to capture the Noble Baron, simply because it was strategically his winning move.

This will happen again shortly. The heroes know it in their blood, and the players are aware that Vitario will most likely betray them in the upcoming battle. This is because Vitario and his Goals for the Higher Good and Peace will be served via an Alliance to the BBEG running a Military Campaign through the Wildermark.

The Heroes suspect this, however officially Vitario has allied with a PRINCESS to fight against the BBEG - and the Heroes are bound by their vows to fight for the PRINCESS against the BBEG. During the upcoming battle it will be their job to mitigate the betrayal, and maybe even get the coals out of the oven before they burn up.
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.