[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
If Unknown Armies had a school of magic based on dank memes what
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 3
File: Koala.jpg (763 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
Koala.jpg
763 KB, 1024x768
If Unknown Armies had a school of magic based on dank memes what kind of powers would it have?
>>
Unknown Armies magic schools are built around a fundamental paradox, an innate contradiction which warps the users perception. If you actually wanted to do this, the first stage would be nailing down that innate contradiction.

Is it the strange temporal nature of memes? That new ones arise all the time seemingly from nowhere, and yet the old ones continue to spread and be repeated long after their relevance has faded?

Is it the curiosity of individual creativity being taken by vast anonymous masses, who create a culture of shared ownership and yet become outraged at any attempt to stake a claim?

I'm honestly not sure. It's not the most fruitful source, IMO, but if you want it to actually work, you need to figure this out.
>>
None.
>>
>>46289187
Hmm.. maybe this: memes are made to be original and subversive but a successful meme is by nature repeated endlessly by others until there is nothing novel about it and it becomes utterly mundane. Memes are made to be inside jokes but once a meme grows popular enough then it is no longer an inside joke.
>>
>>46289606
Good shit, good shit.
>>
File: condering the fallowing.jpg (20 KB, 526x599) Image search: [Google]
condering the fallowing.jpg
20 KB, 526x599
>>46289158
>>
>>46289606
The death of Pepe created a desire to make memes more esoteric in an attempt to actively avoid mass appeal. It goes against the definition of the word, maybe the symbolic tension could be about that, the desire to control the spread of ideas in an environment created to spread ideas as fast as possible by making the idea as hard to understand as possible.
>>
File: 1427465959085.jpg (3 MB, 6229x2548) Image search: [Google]
1427465959085.jpg
3 MB, 6229x2548
>>46289158
Baneposting is already a real life Unknown Armies school
>>
Are Unknown Armies games really as tinfoil-hat-happy as the threads here seem to indicate? I kind of want to play in one but I have no idea what to expect -- and, of course, nobody I know IRL plays it.
>>
>>46295207
They can be but I think that's more because the main thing a lot of people know about UA are the rumors and the fact that most of it is about crazy fringe types. Most of the published scenarios are more surreal or sad character focused stuff. I love the game with all my heart but there is a reason it has a small audience.
Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.