[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
In your setting, are the players the only adventurers of significant
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2
File: 1214814293410.jpg (117 KB, 357x513) Image search: [Google]
1214814293410.jpg
117 KB, 357x513
In your setting, are the players the only adventurers of significant note? Are there a few other scattered travelers? Or are adventurers as common as any other citizen, to the point where there may even be a so-called "adventurer economy"?
>>
>>46268467

Usually, in my setting I make sure that any adventurer worth his name (aka, that can be starting to get some fame and all), tend to be around level 5. They aren't common, but you can find them in big towns or in some special occasions even in small towns.
Of course, they pretty scattered, unless in the specific setting there is some adventurer guild of sort that helps with such matters.
It's up to the players to make themselves a name, either way. Bards help a lot in such matter.
>>
>>46268467
Not that common but common enough that there is some effort made to keep track of them. As a result, a lot of countries have a form of registration, often accepted in other allied nations or nations that are friendly.

They typically charge a small registration fee, a yearly fee that you're expected to pay and in return you get access to a place to sleep in certain cities, some discounts, access to stuff that otherwise would be considered contraband (explosives for example), legal representation if necessary and of course you can go to them for bounties etc.
>>
>>46268640
Smart. Do they have any legal protections?
>>
>>46268467
Generally there are other noteworthy adventurers. In theory they're quite rare, but in practice the party winds up dealing with them near exclusively.

I justify it on the principle of "birds of a feather". Pro athletes tend to know a lot of pro athletes, brain surgeons know a bunch of brain surgeons. The party knows a lot of guys who have levels in adventuring classes.
>>
>>46268962
Well, within reason. They have some protection against claims of grave robbing, provided they can prove there was cause beyond loot to go into the place and that it benefited the community.

Beyond that, its basically what youd expect. Protection from being sued for collateral damage, lawyers to help if a quest of sufficient importance required you to break international laws (say the vital mcguffin is in a country with closed borders and its found out you entered it, they'll argue your case) etc. Its all ultimately predicated on them having a justifiable reason though, ain't no help for random murders without cause and the likes.
>>
I feel like this question also extends to superheroes.
>>
I feel like an adventurer economy relies on a wildly unpredictable world. So much shit has to be going on to justify all the fighters and wizards and stuff just roaming about.
>>
>>46268467
I'm actually about to be DMing the next campaign, but the premise basically involves several guilds and teams of adventurers exploring an ancient 'mega-dungeon' tower you could fit a good-size city into. One major aspect I'm intending is going to be how they, and their guild, deals with interactions between their group and other groups for salvage and exploration of the ruins.
>>
>>46268467

There are no "adventurers" in my setting. My players' characters are all professionals serving a cause.

>tfw you have an entire group who's favourite alignment is Lawful Good
>>
>>46269931

It applies to any game where players have powers, but the game expects them to go out and do things instead of use their powers for sheer financial gain. See: Shadowrun.
>>
>>46268467
In my setting, the players are the first real adventurers in a generation.

They're kicking off an adventuring rush, which various individuals will likely try to take advantage of, selling "adventuring resources" and purchasing powerful Magical Items.

One of these individuals will then try and use the power he has acquired to topple the despotic Government.
>>
>>46268467
That question assumes they're significant.

I've stopped running games for players who want to save the world. It's gotten stale and each PC has been nothing but a thinly veiled magical realm, marry sue, or self-insert.

I prefer running games where the players are praying to survive each round, where they have little to no effect on the world, and they know it.

So no, to answer your question. Because they're not even significant themselves.
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.