[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Alright /tg/, I need some guidance. For reasons that I won't
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1
File: 1455144688751.jpg (125 KB, 662x935) Image search: [Google]
1455144688751.jpg
125 KB, 662x935
Alright /tg/, I need some guidance.
For reasons that I won't go into atm, our party's rogue has decided to commit murder and run away. Everyone is pretty pissed at the character, so the player decided to make a new fighter.

Unbeknownst to the rest of the party though, this new fighter that will be joining them is actually the old character disguising himself as a fighter.

I haven't introduced the new character yet, everyone knows that he's 'making' a fighter though. Has anyone done anything like this? Obviously a lot of this is going to depend on how he plays it, but what can I do on my end to make it work? What should I require of the player RP wise?
>>
Keeping that disguise up is going to be a pretty epic feat.

You better have a plan for what to do someone notices.
>>
>>46265767
First off, how is he going to keep the PCs from figuring it out? They know the rogue, which should give them a boost in seeing through his disguise, and that check will be made several times a day for each party member.

The only practical solution I can see is a long-term polymorph of some sort, which actually solves your other problem: you can generate an entirely new character sheet for the fighter form, maybe giving him a few hidden skills and abilities to represent some of his Rogue Skills.
>>
>>46265767
He'll need a mask. One obviously meant to be permanent. Like the iron mask in Count of Monte Cristo, perhaps. Maybe his 'new' character could have a similar 'backstory', where he can't remove the mask because of a curse or geas. The mask might be able to change what his voice sounds like enough to disguise that, or he might need it enchanted. His habits and body language, however, really need to change and that'd be REALLY hard. Have him make Will/Wisdom saves to avoid giving himself away by force of habit if the player can't correctly RP it.
>>
>>46265851
I don't want to do a polymorph, but he has some contacts that could give him an illusion spell.

>>46265890
I think having him wear a mask would be a cool idea. I'll run it by the player.
>>
>>46265890
I actually like this idea better than my polymorph one.

One of the easiest ways to radically mask one's appearance is through fake aging: in this case I'd recommend having the character haunch his back like Ryuko's father in Kill la Kill and generally give the appearance of a partial cripple. But such men can be surprisingly spry when they need to be, like Zatoichi they surprise opponents with their skills.

But the character will effectively have to retrain himself to act like this, which justifies changing his class around a bit.

>>46265767
I'd exchange all his Rogue levels into Fighter levels, keeping his Characteristics and Skills but dropping his old feats.

Skills he has more of than should be possible should be reduced or removed on the public record to make up for the deficit, but make a hidden note that the character still has them. If you want to be *really* sneaky, boost up a couple of untrained skills that the character will pretend to have.

When retraining feats, consider granting him a house-ruled feat or two that grant certain Rogue-like abilities. For instance, a Sneak Attack bonus justified by "nobody expecting the old man to be able to move so fast".
>>
>>46266368
Thinking longer on this, you may want to tweak the characteristics a bit. Maybe adjust a few by one in a way that doesn't affect any bonuses. Also you may want to decrease his Dex by two or three because the other players are likely to remember it; justify the change by saying its the price of maintaining his new "hunchbacked" stance. (He may get this Dex back if he ever drops the disguise, or maybe it's a permanent toll of poor posture.
Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.