[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Rolling up characters
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 8
File: screen322x572.jpg (58 KB, 322x572) Image search: [Google]
screen322x572.jpg
58 KB, 322x572
How do you roll up new characters? Do you believe in the heart of the cards and free roll every stat? Do you roll up a pool of numbers and apply where appropriate? Do you go fallout style and give yourself a set amount of points to distribute? Is there a different way you do it or are you the kind of dick who keeps rerolling until every stat is 20?

What's your favorite dice?
>>
My system is that you can reroll as many times as possible, but you can't swap stats or reroll individual stats. Take the entire character or leave it.

Maybe my players are just shit, but I have a feeling that points-buy would end up with minmaxing with my group. They haven't all gotten the idea that having a fairly major flaw is a good thing for a character.
>>
>>46245821
>>46245896

Also my favourite dice for purely how it feels is the d20.
>>
File: Dice-Roller-4.jpg (31 KB, 468x225) Image search: [Google]
Dice-Roller-4.jpg
31 KB, 468x225
>>46245896
>>46245915
Is minmaxing really a bad thing? Wouldn't that open up possibilities for flaws? If you give the high numbers to the stats you want and neuter the ones you don't, you end up with the retarded warlock who's like an idiot savant with magic. I mean I see your point and I agree, but it would be quicker to just let them give each stat the points they want, rather than wait 4 hours until they roll those numbers up. But I guess it feels less like cheating if it happens by chance eventually.

I meant dice brand and color

How do you feel about dice rollers or poppers?
>>
>>46245896
except "having a fairly major flaw" is the MIN part of min-max
>>
>>46246068
>>46246056

Except that they would probably take average scores across the board and above average in their primary stats.

Hell, they have tried to do that with the current system I've got now. Even if they are playing a squishy character they consider rerolling if they get an average score in Strength, for example. The idea of actually being bad at something as player characters is ghastly to them.
>>
>>46246139
Well unless their character requires high strength for story purposes (and not class purposes), the people you play with are shit. Do the pool. Make them roll up x amount of numbers and have them pick with those. They might feel more comfortable having lower numbers if they feel like it was their choice.
>>
>>46245821
Roll 4d6, drop lowest die. Roll for Str, then for Dex, ect. I don't choose where the numbers go. Roll a die for player race, flip a coin for gender.

Once I have what they were born with/as, I figure out their class/skills and a backstory to tie it together.

When I'm feeling daring, as above but 3d6.

No rerolls.
>>
I'm a player who regularly switches system whenever one game ends and another begins. So I'm quite often in a situation where if I don't play a character concept for that game, I might never get a chance to again because I might never touch a system that allows it. Thus, if the character looks interesting to play, I want to play it.

Randomness in character creation leaves a significant chance of getting stats which don't work with the character I want to play. Thus I don't like randomness in character creation.

My experience with point buy has it leading to characters with most stats the same and a few maxed out. Really good at some things, average at others, nothing low enough to really matter.

Personally I prefer a stat array. It forces players to have high and low stats.

Though there is one time where I like randomness in character creation. When the campaign is going to have PCs regularly dying and being replaced. Randomness isn't so annoying then because I'm still likely to get to play the character I want at some point in the campaign.
>>
As a DM I generally ask my players to do 4d6 drop, I trust them not to cheat. After that I work with them to fit their character into my world, usually giving them a few rough positions they could fit and then work with them inside those, or find a new position entirely.

I once made a giant stat pool with 5 players. Rolled 5 4d6 drops for each stat and had them distribute the numbers amongst themselves, was really fun for a 1 game session.
>>
>>46245896
Do you make them roll all the dice by hand ?

Or do you let them whip up a spreadsheet that rerolls everything at the touch of a button ?
>>
>>46245821
>graphical dice roller apps
ABSOLUTELY DISGUSTING
Either use a proper diceroller without any superficial graphical flair that supports custom rolls, or use actual dice.
>>
I use point buy but always give my character relevant weaknesses because that's fun to overcome. My most recent character has a very low Constitution, which forces me to play cautiously. Another character I have in the "want to play" list is a Mage with low strength and dexterity. Since I play a system where mages can't shit out spells all day, I'm sure he'll be forced to confront that weakness regularly.
>>
ULTIMATE BRAVERY

ALL THE TIME
>>
>>46245821
We literally just sit down and decide what we want to play, and give them appropriate stats and skills.

Unless you're playing dungeoncrawler deluxe with a bunch of retards who thinks they're playing LoL, fixed pools, random stats and all the usual character making methods are kind of shit.

Like, okay, I want to play a grizzled veteran
>No you can't, duh, we're all level one!"
Okay I want to play a shitty street orphan!
>Sure, pick a class for it and give it as much points as the fighter.

Most role-playing games run on this silly idea of everyone starting off equal, even though the character backgrounds might make the characters anything but equal anyway, and even though not everyone throws a hissy fit because someone is better than him at killing goblins.
>>
>>46246965
Suggestions for Android?
>>
>>46245821
I skip rolling and set my stats to the minimum allowed.
>>
I roll 12d6 and have this amount of points to spend.
each stat cost one point (PS: having 3 cost 3 points)
Then to each stat I roll a d6 and the number to it
>>
If the system is more reliant on stats, I use point buy or I end up creating random generation tables for character creation.
For pre-WotC D&D, I tell my players to do 3d6 arrange to taste, can 'flip' one stat (subtract it from 21 to get a new result) or flip them all. Reroll if bonuses total to negative.
For myself, 3d6 in order, can flip one stat, reroll if bonuses total to negative.

>>46248603
I've had success using Diedroid.
>>
I run most games in my group and I usually set an array when running dnd.
>>
File: SWDice-Ipad-image2.png (456 KB, 500x651) Image search: [Google]
SWDice-Ipad-image2.png
456 KB, 500x651
>>46249745
>Diedroid
>>46248603
I have SW dice. It's the star wars dice app. It has the star wars dice and the normal dice. So you can throw 4 D6 in there and make them roll, they have models so you can see them roll. Feels more trustworthy than a black screen with a random number generator because you can see them roll randomly and land on something. You can buy it I think, but you can also get it in the current star wars rpg torrent, which is where I got mine. You can disable the annoying sounds while keeping the dice sounds.
>>
File: Screenshot_2016-03-25-16-45-04.png (941 KB, 1080x1920) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2016-03-25-16-45-04.png
941 KB, 1080x1920
>>46249975
This is a screenshot from my phone, which is an android. It also counts what you got, so you don't even have to bother adding up numbers.
>>
>>46250138
You can also deselect all the star wars dice from the active dice option if you only want the standard rpg dice to be visible and usable. It's a good little app.
>>
>>46248603
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.droidhut.dicebag
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=ohm.quickdice

Either of these two, depending on your preference. They look like shit, but support custom rolls, saving setups etc.
Very useful. No bloat in the form of "super-realistic physics 3D dice rolling on the table", just nice and simple randomizer.

If they supported a proper Material or Holo theme, they would be GOAT.
>>
>>46248603
>>46251037
On the topic of good interface, CritDice has great interface. Shame it doesn't support custom dice, and is in general a very shilly app.
If there was an app with the functionality of QuickDiceRoller/DiceBag and the interface of CritDice, I would use it. I should probably write one.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.vuesoft.critdice
>>
>>46245821

4d6 discard the lowest to get your 6 stats, then assign them. DM choice on rerolls.

Favourite dice: d12.
Favourite dice brand: Gamescience.
Favourite non-standard dice: doublesixes, doublefours and triplefours (fuck caltrops) also 20 sided d10s > spinning top d10s, platonics are just pure
>>
For those of you who like rolling stats, I'd like to ask you why.

I know, personal preference means I doubt I'd be able to say that you are wrong. But I'd still like to understand why you prefer it.
>>
>>46256802
Because it forces you to accept variance and challenge, instead of everything going to plan. You now have to adapt your concept to match a sub 10 stat, for instance, or a character with one primary stat higher than the other and explain why. It subtly changes the character and you end up with; something slightly different from what you originally envisioned, and this has always led to more interesting and real characters for me.

After all, life is random and doesn't give you perfect stats, you roll with the punches and make it work.
>>
>>46256802
Randomness. It takes control away from you and forces you to adapt a little. The best characters are often those made outside of your comfort-zone.
>>
I like point buy systems.

The whole idea of grognards defending random stats is silly IMO.
It only serves to make some characters flat out better or worse before anything has even touched the paper.
Sure, it feels great when you are the one with super stats, but are you seriously happy when you just suck regardeless of your input?

And then there is the argument that "PBS makes all the characters too similar". How does that happen exactly?
It's your choice wether or not you copy similar statlines or not. It gives you choice while random takes it away.
You make unique statlines with random rolls, but it's not by choice. RNG =//= Creativity
>>
File: RUINED FOREVER.gif (1008 KB, 500x281) Image search: [Google]
RUINED FOREVER.gif
1008 KB, 500x281
Rolling for stats can eat my fucking asshole. No. Fuck off, never again. I'm sick and goddamn tired of having a character idea, only for the dice to tell me fuck off before the GAME STARTS.

I can deal with bad rolls IN GAME. I don't wanna deal with that shit BEFORE the game, especially when it's something that sticks forever and can make you garbage while another PC god.
>>
>>46258376
>not letting your stats inspire you
>>
>>46258669
I already have an idea of what I want to play when I sit down.

I want to play that character. Said character has flaws, has strengths. Point buy doesn't give you everything.

What I don't want to do is end up with a total +0 modifier again in a fucking heroic fantasy game when everyone else has +10 AT LEAST.
>>
>>46245821
Only War player here.

I trust the Emperor to guide my dice and give me desirable rolls. So far, my faith has been rewarded. And if the Emperor should not bless me, bad stats can be fun. Now if I could only find a game...
>>
>>46258757
>>46258376
>goes into RPGs with a concrete image of what they want
>posts anime

So glad I'm not in your playgroup.
>>
File: DENSE MOTHERFUCKER.png (51 KB, 233x262) Image search: [Google]
DENSE MOTHERFUCKER.png
51 KB, 233x262
>>46258992
WHERE DO YOU THINK YOU ARE

And yes, once I've talked to the ST and gotten an idea of what the game is, I formulate an idea of what I want to play.

The reverse is just as true, I'm glad some shithead like you isn't in my group.
>>
>>46259246
>ST
White Wolf get out. Properly designed systems can handle random stat generation.
>>
File: 1351600021504.png (214 KB, 1919x1006) Image search: [Google]
1351600021504.png
214 KB, 1919x1006
Randomfags
>seasoned RP veterans
>can roll with the punches
>understand that adaptability is key
>knows that truly great RPing is when you're out of your comfort-zone

Pointbuyfags
>videogame children
>scared to leave their bubble
>play the boring characters who refuse to change
>look up shit online and let their stats define them instead of their experiences
>>
>>46259279
ST, GM, DM. All are interchangeable terms. And tell me of some of these 'properly designed systems', because I've never seen one that doesn't fuck someone due to shitty rolls.

>>46259469
Holy fucking shit, strawman harder.
>>
>>46259516
AD&D. OD&D. BECMI.
>>
>>46259279
To be frank, a properly designed system should also allow different point buys for the same class to work for different reasons. 3.5/PF falls a bit short for rolled stats and point buy stats.
>>
>>46259844
Senpai, there's very, very few things 3.PF doesn't fall short on.
Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.