[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Think of that thing you never got to use in your games, be it
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 56
Thread images: 16
File: races.jpg (32 KB, 480x260) Image search: [Google]
races.jpg
32 KB, 480x260
Think of that thing you never got to use in your games, be it a character, a power, a magic item, or even an entire campaign concept. For it in mind? Good.

Pitch it. Tell us what the concept is and why it would be fun. But keep it short and sweet. Maybe some other fa/tg/uy can give your concept life.

I might be making a blog collecting these sorts of things. If you don't want me to use yours, just let me know.

Here's a few of mine:

>a sailor who lost their arms in a storm that took almost their entire crew's life, they were saved by a passing sea spirit and now has prosthetic arms made of water that vary in strength with proximity to the sea

>a royal child who was prophecized to slay a great evil. when somebody else fulfilled the prophecy instead, he ran away to become a hero on his own terms rather than submit to a political life

> a charlatan so good at deceiving people that he can bring about powerful placebo and nocebo effects such as killing somebody with a poison he never possessed

> all dwarves are merely halflings taken over by an intelligent beard-shaped fungus, and the wizard who discovered this is now attempting to kill the mother beard and free those enslaved
>>
File: Mr. Fresh.jpg (243 KB, 620x550) Image search: [Google]
Mr. Fresh.jpg
243 KB, 620x550
An old black florist in a mint-green suit, who is a fixture of the neighbourhood as long as anyone can remember. He's a fey being, working for the Fairie Courts to keep balance between the supernatural factions of the city, a true wheeler and dealer.

And I would have played him, too, if the group hadn't imploded due to romance.
>>
A half-Orc barbarian who is an amateur philosopher. When he has enough gold he dreams of retiring to a house on an isolated island with a large library, so he can spend the rest of his days thinking and writing philosophical books.
>>
File: oh13-painted.jpg (147 KB, 369x394) Image search: [Google]
oh13-painted.jpg
147 KB, 369x394
A setting with halfling-esque beings that were all incredibly talented at geometry, who had once lived on a near-desolate island in the middle of the northern ocean.

The majority of them turned into an evil version of a Greek city-state, with direct democracy, while they harvested debris and magic goo from the oceans to power their magitech devices. A minority fled in ships, discovered the mainland, and over the generations earned a reputation as the premier shipbuilders, architects, and designers. Then the city-state discovered the mainland and set out to conquer it, with horrendous weapons of power unimaginable to the late-medieval mainlanders.

campaign failed two sessions in. I blame myself for being a poor GM who couldn't get the players excited.
>>
Sangave & Sangave.

Two lawyer brothers whose parent company gave them a front company called Earlybird LLC. and a blank check to fuck over their rivals

They signed on with a pirate crew after offering the captain a substantial reward for targeting the vessels of certain companies. They advise the captain on the best ways to skirt around the law and negotiate/bluff with the authorities when needed.

They also sell spacecraft insurance to the captains of captured ships for exorbitant prices.
>>
File: fisticuffs.jpg (82 KB, 350x277) Image search: [Google]
fisticuffs.jpg
82 KB, 350x277
An old-timey Victorian bare-knuckle boxer character. He'd speak in stereotypical British phrases and slang i.e. "Tally ho chaps, seems these ruffians wish to engage us in a bout of fisticuffs!". He would likely pride himself in his mustache and would never wear a shirt, only pants and suspenders.
>>
>>46204887
>black dragon that's had her wings ripped off. thanks to her adopted human father she's slowly edging away from evil.
liked the concept of a dragon without wings and roleplaying a serious alignment change

>a barbarian that's escaped the slave pits in hell. he constantly is hunted and can't remove his collar because of life on the run.
always wanted to play a character that literally had nothing from the start.

>average guy that through happenstance was thrown into the adventured.
I like the idea of toying with "is your character special from the start or does their actions make them special?"
>>
>>46204887
I want to run a game of Forgotten Realms.

Where the players are themselves, with their own real-world knowledge of the setting and the system. So that there's no difference between IC and OOC. And they are required to act out their characters. And in-game they are magically transposed to a world that appears exactly like ours.

Basically I really want some people to go play minigolf, with me.
>>
A wartime campaign where the players are dealing with things between missions and major battles that have to do with scheming, internal politics within the army, and the occasional investigation they conduct independently of the higher command structure while also focusing on fighting the enemy of the war in which they're participating.

Ideally they just stay grunts on the ground the entire time through the war.
>>
>>46204887
> all dwarves are merely halflings taken over by an intelligent beard-shaped fungus, and the wizard who discovered this is now attempting to kill the mother beard and free those enslaved
I gotta use this.
>>
>>46210662

I've been slowly working on a campaign like that for a little, first session is organised for May.

It starts between a failed revolution and a civil war, with the PCs picking a faction from 3 to help out.

I'm really worried that I wont have enough interesting and relevant quests though, because I'm not especially creative, and it's my first time DMing.
>>
The Hound of Mons.
Don't even know where to begin incorporating that thing.
>>
Someone who may not actually exist and is just an incrediblely strong psychic manifestation of a powerful, and possibly evil, psion. Would require the GM to fill in a lot of the blanks, some don't like to do this, and it might end up taking away too much focus from the main plot if he doesn't want to weave it into the main plot.
>>
I like the idea of using plant and animal genus names for locations, for example a drow city named Euthania. Too bad I haven't played in years.

Oh also
>an enchanted wine stopper that time-freezes the contents of any bottle it stops
Wizard pranks!
>>
>>46211513
fill it with boiling water and then stop it up

does the bottle stay boiling hot to the touch forever? does the heat stop dissipating? does it get COLD to the person touching?
>>
>>46211601
I'd assume the glass itself would carry heat fine but not take any from the water as if it was a vacuum inside. I could be wrong though.
>>
>>46204887
Why are your elves some kind of mutant ripped muscular giants? Are they covering for the ogres/trolls that couldn't make it that day?
>>
>>46211850
Why not? Not all elves are lithe twigs. Some decide they wanna be rangers or fighters for god knows what reason. So they gotta build muscle to git gud at fighting up close.

And that's why that elf has a 20 in strength.
>>
>>46204887
A skeleton soldier from days long gone, who once found a tiny ember from the primordial fires of creation, which kept him from final death, but gave him no special powers or abilities. He have seen many nations and races rise and fall, many apocalypse-level events unfold and many times the world go extinct. He wanders the world just because he's bored.

I want to play Exalted so bad, but no one runs it in my area.
>>
File: LesaliaCastleGate.jpg (48 KB, 475x501) Image search: [Google]
LesaliaCastleGate.jpg
48 KB, 475x501
>>46204887
>thing you never got to use
Shit dude, MOST of it.

>Mind Flayer as a university president. He loves promoting education. However, while no there is no hard evidence, most of the elderly tenured professors have interesting deaths that leave no corpse to inspect.

>In medias res: At the start of a session, explain where everyone is then say "Roll for init" without explaining shit.

MAGIC:
>-Size is cheap. Obelisk of ____. X uses/day. A throne of lead that grants +4 vs charm effects. A heavy wooden bed that halves the sleeping time needed. A city wall that dispells flying spells. A massive rope hung between trees with charms every 30' that repels incorporals. A door that's one-way invisible. A giant fountain that produces drips a cure light potions 1/day. A Man-sized stone that glows your alignment when you touch it.
>-Size is power. The really really big spells require some construction to go on. There's a reason you never want GORG the destroyer's cathedrals to be built, cause they're synonymous with an ICBM. The Colosseum of Kord is handy for the annual games, but it's also lets the clerics cast a maximized enlarge at 5 levels higher then they should. The great Korrik loved his fly spell, and his obelisk and crypt lets the entire town scoot about the continent. The giant water works of Etherouse focuses on a single cauldron that can the raise dead 1/day.
>-Anti-magic fields. God-damned everywhere. Cheap and easy items that act like emp grenades vs casters and freaky shit.

>Frem'Arkhet, Chaotic god of commerce

>Ack'Daemma, Lawful god of knowledge

>Having the Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup patheon in a D&D game.

>A sorcerer/wizard who is essentially addicted to flying. He's cast the fly spell or used an item so often that his legs have atrophied,

>Putting the players through Final Fantasy Tactics, but with new names.
>>
>>46212014
Forgot to mention, the first one is an NPC (DMPC?), of course, who'd serve as a voice of reason, source of advice and offer some guidance, most likely in military-related areas but other things too. I wouldn't mind playing as him, too.
>>
>Setting where everything is the same but all animals that have lived amongst humans for extended periods of time become Awakened and capable of speech one day and no one knows what the hell caused it.
>>
>>46210533
>playing as yourselves

Has this ever worked out well? If nothing else, character creation is kinda awkward when you realise no one at the table realistically has any stat above 12.
>>
File: 1273651211316.jpg (46 KB, 371x360) Image search: [Google]
1273651211316.jpg
46 KB, 371x360
>>46212274
. . . What'd they do with all the cows and pigs?
>>
>>46212307
>Untermensch problems
>>
>>46212307
Man, I stat'ed myself in Shadowrun once. I'm apparently like a 480BP character, but everything is like a skill-point of 1 or 2. My entire profession is summed up in one category as a 4. (And it's really more of a 3.75). But there's just so much of it. And at 1BP per $5,000, it adds up.
>>
>>46212369
Gagged them and kept going out their business, mostly. Of course what with being Awakened, the pigs and cows quickly realized the fuck was up and some would of escaped, only to die innawoods to the wild dumb animals.
>>
File: Feels to Maximum.jpg (86 KB, 378x1116) Image search: [Google]
Feels to Maximum.jpg
86 KB, 378x1116
>>46212415
>mfw I know I'll never go adventuring, even if I had the opportunity, because I don't have the discipline to properly master a useful skill
>>
>The forest was once the home of exiled Fae beings who hunted humans for sport clad in mockeries of knightly armour forged from wood, riding unnatural steeds formed in grim parodies of horses. They would hunt down travellers with the aid of blink dogs, and ride them down along the roads, leaving only their trampled forms behind.
>Due to their strange nature they are functionally immortal, being reborn from trees deep within their territory every time they die.
>These Green Riders were imprisoned by a coven of Hags who moved into the area.
>No one notices the Hags at first so they celebrate the vanishing of the Green Riders
>The PCs arrive and kill the Hags
>Let us all celebrate the PCs great accomplishme- wait why can I hear hoofbeats?
>>
A post apocalyptic world where radiation worked liked comic books and gave people superpowers
>>
>>46204887
>A poem is engraved on a wall, the poem is about touch. If the stone is touched, something happens (a secret door opens up, an entrance to a place is revealed etc.)
>>
>>46212667
>the poem is actually this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z13qnzUQwuI
>>
>>46204887
Two religious orders, one made up of dwarves, the other humans. The Dwarves use their mechanical knowledge to create clockwork laborers and servants, the humans use magic to create flesh golems to serve them. Both are competing due to ideological differences and for deposits of a magical mineral that enhances the functionality of both faction's creations. Players would either help one faction defeat the other, get them to begrudgingly stop feuding, or get them to cooperate. Depending on how it ended, different NPCs would come and provide some assistance at the final battle. (Get them to cooperate and you get a cyborg war elephant!)
>>
>>46212812
Here's another one, though I admit, this one is STUPID.
At some random point while traveling, the party would encounter a circus. The performers would capture the party, and what would follow is an escape segment where players must escape from being
>shot out of a cannon
> trampled by elephants
>strapped to a table as trapeze artists wearing bladed shoes swing lower and lower
>forced to tightrope walk over a fire pit
And at the end, one (randomly selected) party member is bound, gagged, and re-dressed with a series of other similarly dressed and restrained clowns, all with identical wigs and makeup. The party has to figure out which is their ally, because the moment one of the clowns stands up, bear traps close on the others.

Told you. Stupid.
>>
A wizard accidentdally cursed himself asleep, and is sleep-casting spells on the town he resides in. No one can approach his domain because of the magic flying around
>>
Entire RPG/System based around sir terry pratchett's discworld books.
>>
>>46211999
So why don't elves have a racial strength bonus if they're big brawny dudes? Why do they have a penalty to Con?
Elves make a lot more sense if they're smaller and more slender than humans, the biggest and strongest civilized race.
>>
File: 11765-25484-32136.jpg (15 KB, 320x240) Image search: [Google]
11765-25484-32136.jpg
15 KB, 320x240
>>46210358
>>
File: Krite Ironfist.jpg (65 KB, 1680x1002) Image search: [Google]
Krite Ironfist.jpg
65 KB, 1680x1002
>>46210358
I had the same idea, but I gave him mechanical hands and a background in engineering. Was pretty fun.
>>
>>46204887
An adapted mining tool which has been further tinkered with.
The original mining tool design grinds up rocks, bits of slag, etc into pebble-sized lumps and shoots them at rock walls to mine further. The adapted version shoots the pebbles at people instead. The tinkered version uses the grit generated by the grinder to sand-blast people's faces off.
>>
File: PlagueDoctorExorcist.jpg (118 KB, 1000x800) Image search: [Google]
PlagueDoctorExorcist.jpg
118 KB, 1000x800
>>46204887
>Warlock who has made a pact with a higher power, but doesn't realize it and believes the being was their deity and their powers are divine

The original idea was that it would be a Kobold, possibly a Hexblade. I just think it'd be cool to have a warlock who believes they're firmly in the right, and it'd be great to have a lot of little hints leading up to the reveal that they aren't actually one of their God's chosen champions at all.

>Fey Pact Warlock whose patron is their own Feyliege future self

I'll be honest, it'd take a good DM but I saw the Feyliege ED back when I was playing 4e and this concept popped into my head. I'd really love to play it someday.

I'm actually playing the two concepts I've been dying to play for a long time; a Barbarian warrior chef and a spirit-based necromancer exorcist. I've even lined up a kobold sharpshooter for my next campaign already.
>>
File: 1458337099318.jpg (84 KB, 600x759) Image search: [Google]
1458337099318.jpg
84 KB, 600x759
>>46210423
This is giving me some Dreamworks' Tier thoughts. A black dragon with a Teenager like mindset would already be pretty big, anything older should at least be barn sized.

Though, it still makes attempts at being good hilarious. Picking up cars, trying to settle disputes, looking to become credit to the only community and family it has ever known.
>>
I wanted my druid to be able to make instant trees shoot up from the ground and wreck enemies but the GM was against it for some reason
>>
File: 1456777605898.gif (189 KB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
1456777605898.gif
189 KB, 640x360
Promise you won't laugh, /tg/?

>Goliath, orc or other such fuckass big race cleric in the Navy. Uses magic and muscles to do a lot of the grunt work maintaining the ship and crew and is generally just happy to help. When push comes to shove they fight with an anchor and cannon salvaged from vessels they've previously engaged against, gnome cannon loader/tinkerer/spellslinger bestie optional.

I just really like having the party support being some brick house who loves their job.
>>
PC is a (now) powerless God who forgot about his godhood - he now lives as human, trying to find information about himself.
Gets flashbacks to his other human lives(as a way to tie my few characters together).
His personality changes each time he gets reborn, but he keeps few traits - curiosity and a bit of superiority complex for example.
>>
>>46204887
A prince cursed with luck. His father was turned to gold by a special cockatrice, leaving him to inherit the kingdom, but all he wants to do is have fun. He's abandoned his throne to seek a cure and maybe some adventure on the way.

Uses all the "luck" mechanics from 3.5 and is a total clusterfuck, so I'm not planning on playing him any time soonbard/fortune's friend/sublime chord/luckstealer
>>
>>46219867
Neat
>>
File: morte.jpg (4 KB, 131x138) Image search: [Google]
morte.jpg
4 KB, 131x138
>>46219867
yes, but does he have a floating skull?
>>
>>46212081
>Having the Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup patheon in a D&D game
Shit, that's good. I'd love to be a Cleric of Xom.
>>
>>46213919
There's one of those out there for GURPS
>>
File: 1377460279117.jpg (69 KB, 448x419) Image search: [Google]
1377460279117.jpg
69 KB, 448x419
>>46219867
>>
>>46219867
Nice.

Btw. it's not a complex if it's reall
>>
The Book of Nightmares

the basic premise of the campaign is that a magic item designed to capture the bad dreams of the populace has started to leak nightmares.

The book's nightmares have grown more powerful over time, leading the city to hire some adventurers to enter the book via a metamagical-metaphysical projection and defeat a series of 7 nightmares themed around 7 historical figures of the city.
>>
File: Darkest_Dungeon_Leper.jpg (317 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
Darkest_Dungeon_Leper.jpg
317 KB, 1920x1080
A virtuous warrior who started worshiping the dark and ruinous powers governing sickness and poison after surviving a disfiguring plague.
>>
This was an old idea I had for an adventure about the PC's waking up with no memory but skills they somehow know, including how to use stuff like the guns inside the room they woke up in, and a note simply stating 'survive'.

Cue 'SWAT' guys bursting into the building shooting everyone in sight.

There were a few set pieces such as running battle across rooftops and having to escape a rampaging tank inside a shopping center, before the adventure would end with the PC's at an airfield, infiltrating a cargo plane before it took off to another adventure and hopefully some answers.
>>
>>46220018
It does actually. I kind of want to do that myself for a campaign I'm working on. I think a good chunk of them can be refluffed for currently existing domains, if nothing else.
Thread replies: 56
Thread images: 16

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.