[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So, how do I create a religion? I need two of them-One's
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2
File: ClericKid.png (25 KB, 849x575) Image search: [Google]
ClericKid.png
25 KB, 849x575
So, how do I create a religion? I need two of them-One's genereic Paladin sunlight-lawful-good stuff, and the other focuses on freedom. I've never done this before so I don't know where to start
>>
>>46147643
Three doctrines, three parables/stories that justify those doctrines, a holy day, and typical iconography/colors
>>
>>46147643
>I don't know where to start
Start with what you're trying to accomplish. In terms of lore, how do you intend to use these religious traditions?
>>
>>46147643

Simplistically, stories of one central religious character that embody the main thrust of the religion (Jesus, Buddha, Muhammad, Vishnu etc) give you something the laymen emulate and an uninformed person's guide to the religion. Maybe a local hero or saint as a secondary story.

The actual Church will have a much more nuanced understanding of its own doctrine with studious analysis of texts and so forth, but that's not stuff your average peasant or noble is going to know much about, and can be built off the central character.

Obviously this isn't going to cover all religious possibilities but it's fairly simple.
>>
>>46147643
Doing something unique could be fun. Could always go with the Mayan sun god route. Giant ball of fire that hates the dark, literally chases away the night every morning, burns evil beings on sight. Paladins of the wrathful sun could be more akin to berserkers. As for the freedom one, maybe a nudist that asks for ubermensch style self improvement from their followers. "one is only free when no task is too great to limit them," something like that.
>>
>>46147643
All religions need to have an answer to two questions:

What does it mean to live a good life? And
Why do bad things happen to good people?
>>
>>46150841
I would go further and say:

Where do we go when we die? (take it a step further and put how one dies is taken into account as well)
How should following X religion shape my life and morals?
>>
>>46147643
Well, the most important part is to look to the origin of the religion.

Is it the outgrowth of the cult of a prophet (like Christianity, Islam, Judaism, Buddhism, etc.) or is it the descendant of ancient traditional beliefs (Greco-Roman paganism, Hinduism, Shinto, etc.)?
>>
>>46147643
>>46147819
>>46150841
This is a good place to start.
In terms of more detail-
>Creed
What beliefs must be professed to be considered a member?
-The holy sun of Paurion grants the world light during the day, the moon his watchful servant in the night
>Laws
What are the requirements to remain in good standing?
-Destroy undead
>Methods of mediation/Prayer
-Chant in the sun for ten minutes, twenty if the sky is clouded, you must be inside, et cetera.
>Religious titles/figures
-A former peasant named Semperus defended his village from the hordes of undead alone when every other able-bodied was cursed by vile dark magic from one of Paurion's enemies, who hid the attack from the sun god's sight.
-Paurion, finding this beacon of heroism despite the spells set specifically to prevent him from doing so, struck down the undead, raised the fallen, healed the cursed, and made Semperus one of his paladins.
>>
Pick a random language and find the word for light or sun, scramble it around a bit, and you got yourself a name for a generic lawful good god.
>>
>>46147643
Make the freedom religion as a set of teachings and dogmas that people follow by their own interpretation and beliefs, rather than an actual established theological institution.
>>
File: 2.jpg (23 KB, 296x394) Image search: [Google]
2.jpg
23 KB, 296x394
>>46147643
Questions:
>how was shit made?

>who made the shit?

>are they still here or are we just waiting for a sequel/big finish?

>what happens when you die?

>is time linear or cyclical?

>what shit can't you do (if any)?

>how does this get worked into public holidays?

>what real people have contributed to the lore and how badass was the contribution?

>how is this worked subtly into every aspect of your culture? (forbids nuts and fish from diet, resulting in unhealthy hair/skin across population)

and most importantly
How do they feel about the Not!Jews?
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.