[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
When Player driven plot consumes a LARP.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 6
File: Texas vs Scotsdale.jpg (311 KB, 1255x1599) Image search: [Google]
Texas vs Scotsdale.jpg
311 KB, 1255x1599
I play in a survival horror LARP and something has just consumed what's going on. Not a mod written by any of the ST's, but social manipulation and the natural momentum gained by player egos and interpersonal and group alliances.

Long story short, people are fighting over the Presidency for a nation that no longer exists and battle lines are being drawn and shot in the sand in the Dystopia Rising LARP network.

How would someone turn this to their advantage? Why would someone manipulate people in nationalistic pride to pursue this circus of events?

Answer my questions and discuss or share your own tales of player actions at LARP that have spiraled for weal or woe out of control?
>>
>>46190767

I kind of want your situation framed as a greentext story with an obvious antagonist, if it's all the same to you OP.
>>
>>46190877
No obvious antagonist. Two games ago a post went up on the town posting board in the Jersey game announcing that Tizer Scottsdale was announcing his candidacy for President of Merica. Tizer didn't make the posting himself, it was notably posted by a guy whose become a bit of a the town crier at the Jersey game.

Scottsdale is a good guy. Dependable. Talking about the memory of Merica & Freedom and always lending other people a hand. Loud and friendly sort.

Can't say I know much about Texas Lincoln, who announced recently he was running against Scottsdale. He's been a player longer. He's a higher up in the Rough Riders, one of the gangs of Old York, so he's in a local position of power and authority as is. Also he's a legendary local fighter often called a Merican Ba'dass. Both guys are well liked and in game families are splitting over this issue.
>>
>>46191145

And, I should reiterate, there is no formal national government at this time and hasn't been for like 600 or so years in game.
>>
>>46190767
Would the advice of a two bit criminal help?

Beat the fuck out of the people causing the problem.
>>
>>46191914
...assemble a group to break up this whole shebang you say? Well, they aren't causing a problem so much just yet.

What other criminal advice do you offer? A lot of people are really getting into it.
>>
File: 1458359121901.png (39 KB, 178x300) Image search: [Google]
1458359121901.png
39 KB, 178x300
>>46192012
I was more talking about actually getting a lead pipe and beating the fuck out of them.

Doing it in the larp works too if you want.
>>
>>46190767
Huh, never thought I'd see anyone else from Camp Sac.

Given the situation, people are eventually going to fight. If either of those men die, the war's only gonna get bigger. Texas Lincoln seems like the type you'd find doing some underground stuff, so if someone has to die, it's a better idea to kill him.

If at all possible, convince them to do a co-presidency, but that might not be necessary. If I know STs, they're probably having a conversation with both players, interviewing them both about the significance each player's actions will have on the entire game, whether they do or do not become President.

So, you can do two things:
1: Intervene
2: Assume the STs have this under control.

Or do both.
>>
>>46192103
He should go with that guy who posted Kirby and beat them up.
>>
File: Watto.jpg (23 KB, 360x300) Image search: [Google]
Watto.jpg
23 KB, 360x300
>>46192142
Silly neckbeard, your 4chan mind tricks don't work on me.
>>
>>46192103
if facebook is any indication, the storytellers are loving this. And Lincoln Chance just threw their hat into the race.

And word is setting out from Gator Land (Florida Game) that Doc Holiday is entering the race in her Flag Bikini.
>>
>>46192103
Fuck yeah Hayven. Camp Sac is a nice place.

Your general thoughts on all of this? I know its only just begun, but how do you think the Affiliates will respond?
>>
>>46192276
The way it works is, the STs have a plot that's based entirely around what the character's decisions are, which means the STs have to plan a bit less each month. This also forces all of the chapters of Dystopia Rising to be focusing on the same political issue at the same time and as a concept, that's AWESOME.

However, it can lead to some pretty scary yet amazing plots. For example, at Knight Realms (another larp hosted at the same place as Jersey's Dystopia chapter) there was once a PC necromancer named Apollo, whose player decided one day that he wanted to leave that larp in the most badass way possible. Though I wasn't there, veteran larpers refer to the event as the Apollocaust. I can tell you how it happened, if you're interested.
TL:DR, player driven plots are to be dealt with as if they were run by STs, but they can explode way out of proportion for better or worse.
>>
This looks stupid. Does everything post-apoc have to be stupid and memey?
>>
>>46192553
Usually its about trying not to die from Zombies, starvation, and raiders.

And only really the Strain (race) of 'Mericans are memey.
>>
>>46192507

>>46192507
This is me, these are my thoughts. As for the affiliates go, I'm pretty sure that this event will create both fun and chaos. The former means that people were manipulated for the lulz, the latter means that in all of the chaos and confusion of the elections, something is going to happen and it will be big.

>>46192553
People running for president in the apocalypse is 'memey'?
No wonder I normally lurk here instead of posting.
>>
>>46192545
Tell me about the Apollocaust
>>
>>46192609
Well, the likely person to have manipulated for the lulz is the town crier. Or could it be some other motive, this would probably drive his business up.
>>
>>46192625
Let me tell you a tale that I've heard only by word of mouth from a Monster Marshal at Knight Realms. The way it works is, there was once a necromancer named Apollo, who dabbled in illegal things (such as necromancy, because that shit damaged all magic as a whole) and made pacts and did favors in exchange for IOUs. There came a time eventually when the city guard started to catch onto him. Naturally, since he would have been executed, Apollo decided there was only one way to strike back at the town of Travance.
Normally, every weekend there's a plot devised by the Director and/or his band of many storytellers, and Saturday Night is referred to as "Main Mod," the big fight that happened from 8-11. Normally, the plot of that weekend would have been very important during Main Mod. However, Apollo had a LOT of favors to cash in, and I heard there were a few demons, a lich, and Valos knows what else. So many people died, as the name Apollocaust might imply. That was one of the few times when the Town of Travance actually LOST a fight, and that was because a player had stacked the deck moreso than most M:tG That Guys.

Apollo promptly left, and hasn't been seen in-game since.
>>
>>46192786
Wonderfully evil.
>>
>>46192786
>, and hasn't been seen in-game since

Probably because someone beat him up.
>>
>>46192886
I never understand people who can't separate game from out of game. I've bought a man a beer for fucking me over in game because the scene was so damn amazing.
>>
>>46192952
>I never understand people who can't separate game from out of game

I think he just likes beating people up dude.
>>
>>46193003
Oh, then he should totally grab a boffer and a costume and find if any local groups have larps running and see if he enjoys it.
>>
>>46193041
Do you really want a guy who suggested someone solve a problem by beating two people up with a lead pipe holding anything vaguely weapon shaped?
>>
File: or_at_least_leave.gif (1 MB, 500x281) Image search: [Google]
or_at_least_leave.gif
1 MB, 500x281
>>46192553
>memey
>>
File: do-you-not.jpg (32 KB, 552x414) Image search: [Google]
do-you-not.jpg
32 KB, 552x414
>>46193234
>>
>>46193234
He'll fit right in at Hayven.
>>
>>46192103
I didn't really care until Lifter threw in with Tizer.

It's all over facebook, I can't escape.
>>
File: I don't own anything but paint.jpg (86 KB, 858x485) Image search: [Google]
I don't own anything but paint.jpg
86 KB, 858x485
>>46193678
Can I pretend to be a Russian immigrant? My accent may get in the way.

Also I work weird hours and am on call a lot, they alright with that?
>>
>>46193838
You'd fit right in as a Red Star.

Next Hayven event is April 1st weekend.
>>
>>46193838
Games once a month. Hayven is the jersey game. Surival Handbook and basic rules are free pdf on drivethrough rpg.

Accent is no problem.

Hell, you can be a Russian Immigrant no problem.

There are also games in Florida, Kentucky, Virginia, Massachusetts, Indiana, Washington, So Cal, Canada.

Being on call is okay, you might need to talk to the staff about early check out and clean up. Just don't check your phone in "In Game" areas and set it to vibrate.

And if you can outright request off for the weekends you want to go because it is fun. I am shilling it and if I could I would give you my player number for referral.

I'm sure everyone will.
>>
>>46192660
That town crier is just a simple working man and loud mouth who earns his living reading people's messages aloud and scribbling what he's asked too and speaking soothingly and politely to people. He is certainly no would be mountebank or manipulative sort.
>>
>>46193921
Check that. Not sure where the canada game is.
>>
>>46193921
I don't get off days, when he calls I go. Don't want to end up in the bay.

But I may look into it. Jersey is not that far away.
>>
>>46194456
and if you want you can make your boffer phys rep look like a lead pipe. That is super in genre for the post post apocalypse
>>
>>46190767
>Dystopia Rising
You sir disgust me.
>>
>>46192103
>Camp Sac
Sacramento?
>>
>>46194503
It's 600 years post, apparently, so not really.
>>
>>46196766
I'll think of something. I have used weapons other than a lead pipe in my work.
>>
>>46196473
Ah, So you've discussed we?
>>
>>46197752
You are the worst, Burr.
>>
>>46190767
>How would someone turn this to their advantage?
obviously, side with the winner side

>Why would someone manipulate people in nationalistic pride to pursue this circus of events?
to get advantage of, obviously.

>or share your own tales of player actions at LARP that have spiraled for weal or woe out of control?
I have the special case of mostly go to larps where most of the stories are made by player actions, not by storytellers
>>
>>46199264
That must be quite magical.
>>
>>46199575
it's not a realm
>>
>>46199600
I would think not, unless politics are someone's kink, but I love the notion of STs reacting to players more than players reacting to STs, but DR is mostly a survivors vs environment scenario by the nature of being about a radioactive zombie infested wasteland in decay
>>
>>46199815
there are a lot of games that doesn't even have a storyteller. There is only organizers who set up all the needed things for the larp, story wise they give you the background infos and the base for a conflict or two and let the game unfoldso during the game the characters only react to each other and there is no reacting to the ST or ST reacting to the players.
>>
>>46196473
Bad experience with a DR chapter?
>>
>>46199946
That doesn't seem to work with Americans, though.
>>
>>46202582
Or with retards in other countries. We have our fair share of those.
>>
>>46202634
Yes, but in the US non-retards often go into reenactment instead.
Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.