[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
BESM or OVA?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 4
File: bonesword.jpg (123 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
bonesword.jpg
123 KB, 1920x1080
For a general purpose, fairly generic type of anime premise like Chivalry of a Failed Knight, which is the superior system? Is the sped up bookkeeping and streamlining of OVA worth the trade off of a more granular system like BESM (compared to just the d6 pools of ova, not compared to something like gurps obviously)?
>>
>>46091184

Go with OVA. Really, now that I'm older, I've come to realize that most games are really up to the DM in how he does it. Go with whatever's simpler, because a magical high school battle anime doesn't have as much focus on sheer stats as a traditionally combat-heavy game would have.
>>
>>46091254
This, desu.
>>
File: uniform.jpg (336 KB, 600x900) Image search: [Google]
uniform.jpg
336 KB, 600x900
>>46091184

Actually, is a high-school battle anime even a good choice for a RPG campaign? Like, Chivalry (Or Asterix, which was an inferior version) doesn't have a lot of fights that aren't one-on-one duels.

There's not much opportunity for your PCs to work together as a unit, unless they have to fight big groups of mooks or it's a team tournament. Contrast that to something like Gundam, where you can reasonably expect the players to function as a small hyper-elite military unit.

I mean, you don't want to have the situation of one player doing the fighting and everyone else waiting for their turn in the spotlight.
>>
BESM can be broken by looking at it. OVA is the superior choice.
>>
File: uniforms.jpg (331 KB, 850x1180) Image search: [Google]
uniforms.jpg
331 KB, 850x1180
>>46091717

Fuck, wrong image.
>>
>>46091717
Chivalry's one-on-one thing is definitely annoying, but you could absolutely get around it. The duels are mostly just a school thing; you still have shit like the class trying to show you you ain't all that cos they're jealous, that random-ass terrorist encounter at the mall, the run-in with golems and shit... your primary plot should be suited to a party, with duels of note being a side thing to give players a bit of spotlight.
>>
>>46091785

I still think the guy with invisibility, armor-piercing arrows and the ability to TURN THE ENTIRE WORLD INTO A FOREST was the most interesting opponent. Compare that to the next enemy, who was basically a guy with a whip-sword.

I mean, you could just sit back and fire arrows at your opponent, whipping past him, throwing beer bottles and giving him the finger.
>>
>>46091717
Actually, I've had a (rather vague) idea for this for a while, although it would pretty much involve bait-and-switching the players just a bit.
The players are freshmen at [Country A]'s academy for adolescent [name for people with weird ability].
Due to [weird ability] manifesting differently for everyone, students are formed into Squads, who train together, live together, fight together, et cetera. Think X-Men meets Valkyria Chronicles 2.
Then, after a few sessions to lull them into a false sense of security, everything changes when [Country B] attacks.
Their first act is a surprise attack on numerous locations, including the school. Most of the students are slaughtered. The players somehow manage to escape, but by the time they get themselves oriented, the battle lines have set in, and they're DEEP inside enemy territory.
At this point, it basically becomes Grimdark Anime Red Dawn.
>>
>>46092142
The real trick here would of course be giving the players enough ablative NPCs to do the dwindling of their numbers, and to get them to LIKE these ablative NPCs so that it actually hurts when they lose one.
>>
>>46092142

Oh, you mean this one?

http://mangafox.me/manga/kimi_shi_ni_tamou_koto_nakare/

It's by Drakengard's writers, so it's pretty violent.
>>
op here. thanks for the input.
i was just looking at ova and it appears my copy has a corruption that causes the first page of the abilities chapter to not display. does anyone have a clean copy?

top clarify; i wouldnt have a game with duels as the main focus all the way through. more likely id have the school serve as a setting for a session or two, have the players do the cliche duel thiong to establish whos anime dick is where, and then drop an a-bomb scale enemy on them. like imagine if aizen just straight up attacked the soul society to get what he wanted instead of all that subterfuge/betrayal shit (before he went all mwahaha i mean), and stomped half the place in one go.

suddenly the players feel massively UNDERpowered, and are forced to work together in fights against powerful but single henchmen.
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.