[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Musical Inspiration
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1
File: 1356924542.jpg (237 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
1356924542.jpg
237 KB, 1920x1080
1. Play three random tracks from your collection.
2. First inspires the setting.
3. Second inspires the protagonist.
4. Third inspires the villain.
5. Write the results.
6. Would you run a game in this scenario?

Example:
>First song: The Only Thing I Know For Real, Jamie Christopherson (Metal Gear Rising OST)

In the year 203X, an asteroid brushes against the moon, littering the earth with moon shards which turn it into a heavy metal post-apocalyptic desert ruled by merciless swordsmen. Cities are more like mobile caravans because staying in one place for two long is a recipe for being vaporized the next time a moon shard falls.

>Second Song: O Fortuna, Carl Orff, Carmina Burana

The protagonist is a wandering gambler/conman, who is naturally also a brilliant swordsman. Moreso than simply a player of games, he lives by the philosophy of submission to fate, rolling dice to determine where to move on in his quest and flowing with the course of destiny wherever it might lead him. I say at some point in the past staying in one place for too long and refusing to move on caused him some tragedy, maybe related to moon rocks.

>Third Song: The Reverend Mr. Black, Johnny Cash, The Baron

The antagonist is a badass, gigantic wasteland preacher who believes they've all lived through Armageddon and that he and his followers might redeem themselves and enter paradise if they wipe all the heretics off the wastes. His soldiers wear black cloaks in imitation of his priest garb.

>Verdict

While the scenario might be fun to play in as something like a computer game, I'm not sure if I'd run it for my group. It sounds like it would work better with a more coherent plot. Also, starting off with a Metal Gear song seems to have put me in a Japanese mood. This setting is basically an anime, and I don't run anime games.
>>
>>46089224
>Setting: Cathode Ray Sunshine by Dark Tranquility
Scifi, outer planets of a dying solar system. Uses technology to keep their dwindling world alive.

>Protagonist: I'm the Highway by In Flames
Nomadic reluctant hero who, in the beginning, was a mercenary who just wanted to be paid, with no further attachments, but gradually realizes he cares more about the world than he led himself to believe, slowly accepting his role as hero.

>Villain: Again we Rise by Lamb of God
Widespread cult.
>>
>>46089224
>>46092188
Am I really the only one who wants to participate in this? It's like people don't even care about this board anymore.
>>
>>46089224
>Setting: Mosalmanan! Mara Vaghti Deli Bood by O-Hum
Middle-eastern setting, during the period where it actually experienced a prosperous and progressive boom. Lots of golden towers, rugs and curved swords.

>Protagonist: Tes River's Hymn by Nine Treasures
An exiled nomadic totally not-a-mongol warrior who must find his place in the world after being thrown out by his clan and kin.

>Villain: I, Caligvla by Ex Deo
A blatantly insane emperor in a vast, aggressive empire to the west. Some say his councillor is a horse.
>>
>Down Under by Men at Work
A fantasy land based loosely off of Australia, complete with vegemite and shitposting.

>Cats in the Cradle by Harry Chapin
A father who's too busy adventuring and earning gold to support his family to go visit for too long. Although a part of him knows he should be there, he is putting his need to provide ahead of actually raising his son.
>Keep on Lovin' You by REO Speedwagon
A former good character who fell in love and lost her when barbarians came through his home land. Barely survived thanks to a healer in town nearby and a passing farmer finding him. Swore vengeance and eventually became a harsh mayor who rules over his town with an iron fist. The punishment for anything down to stealing an apple is death.

The main reason the party chases him is because the protagonist and villain fought together a few years earlier, and the protagonist feels that it's his duty to help his old friend get over her death and use his power for good.

>Would I play it?
I think I'd maybe change the setting a little bit. But besides that I would.
>>
>Somebody to Love by Queen
Setting is an industrial city in the early 1900s in the UK

>Yesterday by The Beatles
A man who has gone into depression after the death of his wife and has to deal with the rapid changes thats happened to his town due to Industrialization and spends his time longing for the past he had while trying to hide himself from the world thats so different from the world he knew.

>You and Me by Lifehouse
The protagonists obsessive stalker who murdered his wife and is trying to get him to fall in love with her.

The game would be mostly a slice of life game at the beginning but as the game went on more stranger things would happen to people he cared about until he started to look into whats causing this and then it turns into a cat and mouse game
>>
>>46089224
>First music: Dark Horse, from Sunset Riders game

Old West for sure, but with more technology maybe? Some sort of steampunkish, I think. The people are on a gold rush near everywhere, but corruption is spreading everywhere. People don't settle for too long in their search for richies, and law is almost absent in most of places.

>Second music: Intoxication, from Dreams and Imagination album (Two Steps From Hell)

The protagonist is a steam-punkish not!Apache girl, fighting as a mercenary. She is one of the first to use a sniper-ish type of weapon, and is also skilled with the bow, but can hardly do any melee fighting. She rejected all of her previously culture after being expelled from the tribe for reasons that she keep to herself.

>Third music: Mozart concerto nÂș 2 in D major, "allegro aperto" part

The antagonist is... A good aristocrat, I guess? The only one who is really fighting to bring order and peace to the land. His interests often conflict with the depraved society, so most of the people see him more as a bad guy than a good guy. He is very assertive about law, being stubborn in this sense and feeling that he has some sort of divine mission to bring order. Being a nobleman, he has a very amount of resources at his disposal.

>Veredict

It sounds fun to play or run a game like this, though I've never tried something similar before. Maybe with a little work, I would try it, I guess. But it has a lot of cliches that should be worked out before any try.
>>
>Setting: Sabaton - Lion from the North
A time of war where war is being waged against a tyrant by the true heir to the throne
>Protagonist: Heidevolk - Dondergod
A zealous priest of a lightning god who fights with thunder magic and a hammer
>Villain: Corvus Corax - Totentanz
A necromancer who rules with an iron fist, simply raising those conscripted peasants from the dead to reuse them as cannon fodder again and again

>Verdict
It would probably make for a quite interesting story on its own, but I don't think it would work well for pen and paper games
>>
>>46094247
Sounds similar to Sweeney Todd
>>
>>46095566
I didn't have that in mind but I can see it
>>
Bumping for interest
>>
>>46089224

>Invincible (World of Warcraft)

The game is set in a gothic fantasy land. Dark forests, spooky castles, small villages offering the only warmth and respite from the harsh world around. It's been winter for the past two years.

>Walk of Life (Dire Straits)

The protagonist is a plucky young woman who holds out for a return of summer. She sets out in search of the ancient sage Markus Knop-Fleur, who knew a brave hero who could turn night into day.

>Christmas Eve/Sarajevo (Trans-Siberian Orchestra)

The villain is an ancient and evil warlock who wants to live in a world of eternal winter. He resides in a massive gothic castle overlooking a snowcapped forest. Its halls are filled with skeletons, ice spirits, gargoyles, and snow demons. Every now and then he has kickass winter-themed rock operas.

I would abso-fucking-lutely run a game in this setting.
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.