[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Board Games General - "Tomb of the Anon-known Soldier"
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 164
Thread images: 29
File: 1457244378803.jpg (462 KB, 1204x802) Image search: [Google]
1457244378803.jpg
462 KB, 1204x802
Time to bring forth a new Board Games General! All hail the Fa/tG/eneral!

> If you had an extended period of time where you could get in a lot of game plays, what 3 games would you want to explore the most?

> What (if anything) is your next 'most desired' board game purchase?

> If you could make your gaming group fall in love with one board game without fail, what game would it be?
Useful Board Game Shiz links:
http://pastebin.com/V9c2a6wU

Google Docs /bgg/ Games Recommendation Link:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1siC2-T6xJjuzNq6JDmvHfnCbo82px8JZuczv8GZgw-8/edit#gid=654023994
>>
>>45930369
>> If you had an extended period of time where you could get in a lot of game plays, what 3 games would you want to explore the most?

1. Netrunner. This seems like such a good game, but I just haven't had time to explore it.

2. Archipelago - so much plotting, but far less hard feelings than 'Diplomacy'.

3. A full out 'campaign' in a simple wargame like OGRE or Heroes of Normandie.

>> What (if anything) is your next 'most desired' board game purchase?

Hmmm, tough call since I have way to much on my 'wish list'. 7 Wonders Duel, Among the Stars, and Fury of Dracula + a couple of KS like Nemo...

>> If you could make your gaming group fall in love with one board game without fail, what game would it be?

I'd pick something with some meat to it like Archipelago or Twilight Struggle.
>>
>>45930712
>Twilight Struggle.
Not really a "group" thing. Trying to play it with four to six separate people right now to try to build them up to Virgin Queen or Here I Stand.
>>
>>45930369
>three games to explore
Duel of Ages II, Merchants & Marauders, Titan, I've only played DOA2 while the other two are sitting unplayed!

>most desired
Space Empires: 4X followed by Argent: The Consortium are at the top of my list

>group love
probably Duel of Ages II
>>
>>45930369
>If you could get in a lot of game plays, what 3 games would you want to explore the most?

I'd love to have a chance to get deeper into a social deduction game like The Resistance.

Go has nearly infinite depth and I'd like to dip my toe deeper into that particular ocean.

For the third slot, there are a number of abstract strategy games, card games, and wargames I'd love to get more playtime with. Sekigahara and Binary Homeworlds come immediately to mind.

>What (if anything) is your next 'most desired' board game purchase?

Tough call.
I wouldn't mind a copy of Hornet Leader: Carrier Air Operations.

FFG has a pile of expansions for various things which I would like at some point. X-wing, Lord of the Rings, I'm waaaaay behind on Netrunner.
>>
>>45931331
>Space Empires: 4X

Is it OOP again? I picked up the 'Close Encounter' (Ground Assault) expansion, but haven't had a chance to play.
>>
>>45930369
>Three to explore
Terra Mystica, Quantum, King's Forge

>Most desired
Barony

>Love Potion No. 9
Terra Mystica
>>
>>45933289
Not sure, I've seen a copy at a nearby LGS so I'll have to scout it out next week
>>
File: High Frontier.jpg (849 KB, 3110x2074) Image search: [Google]
High Frontier.jpg
849 KB, 3110x2074
>What (if anything) is your next 'most desired' board game purchase?

Would not mind a copy of High Frontier desu
>>
How do I not lose at eldritch horror?

Have a game day coming up on Sunday, I playtested with a friend today to get down the basics of the game so that when I introduce it to the group later we can trim down a lot of the mistakes. We did 2 4-player games, basically we just each controlled 2 characters. Got shit-stomped by Yog-Sothoth so hard we didn't even wait until later on to see what would happen, came close to beating Cthulhu but failed on the last possible turn thanks to an absolutely brutal mythos card - not that we could have killed him in combat anyway.

We chose Shub-Niggurath for Sunday at random, any tips besides "roll good and pray?"
>>
>>45934849

The only winning move is not to play.

I know that's not very helpful but the Arkham/Eldritch Horror style games are simply not all that great. They have beautiful components and engaging theme, but the gameplay has never been all that rewarding. It's basically 1970's roll & move with a few extras.
>>
>>45934849

use Charlie and Leo.

use an expansion that gives you the Focus action (tokens you can use for a once off reroll of a die)

Roll good and pray.
>>
>>45934906
I'm sure he's a big enough boy to decide on his own if he wants to play or not.
>>
>>45930369
> If you had an extended period of time where you could get in a lot of game plays, what 3 games would you want to explore the most?

Mmmm, hard choice. Probably TI3 with all expansions, Merchants & Marauders, and Chaos in the Old World.

Archipelago or some expansions for other games.

> If you could make your gaming group fall in love with one board game without fail, what game would it be?

TI3 probably, there's no way they're going to commit enough to that game that I will ever get to play ;_; I barely get them to play stuff like Fury of Dracula and Forbidden Stars. Actually maybe Archipelago isn't a good choice for my next buy...
>>
Knee deep in the election cycle this year, and I notice 1960 the making of the president is probably getting reprinted. Anybody have experience with this one? It looks alright
>>
>>45935196

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/791036/strategy-over-tactics-or-why-i-prefer-1960-twiligh

Sound decent
>>
CARCASSONNE
ARCASSONNEC
RCASSONNECA
CASSONNECAR
ASSONNECARC
SSONNECARCA
SONNECARCAS
ONNECARCASS
NNECARCASSO
NECARCASSON
ECARCASSONN
>>
>>45934733
Had your chance senpai.
>>
page 10 plz go
>>
404: Law Not Found
Thunderbirds
Viticulture: Essential Edition
Nothing on the horizon just yet. I'd love to find a copy of Corto that isn't going for £40+, but fat chance of that happening...
404: Law Not Found
>>
>>45930369

Shadows of Brimstone
Mage Knight : The Board Game
BattleLore 2.0

Cryptozoic just announced Ghostbusters 2 Kickstarter... So I guess that.

Shadows of Brimstone I guess. I havent got it to the table yet (outside of a few solo plays) because of the sheer insanity of it (and I have just received my wave 1.5 package)
>>
>Exploration
Terra Mystica, Mottainai and Dominion
Although Spyfall seems like a party game that would be interesting to see the evolution of as well.
>Most Wanted
I just bought games, so nothing really. Arboreum wasn't in stock yet and looks neat, but I'm not hurting for it.
>Geas
[hide]Pokémon Showdown[/hide]
Probably Dominion, I want a group that is competent and competitive at it.
>>

I'm basing my assumptions on what I know and games that I think could be very deep once you have a highly developed meta game:
1. StarCraft - we play that often already but would be nice to explore that with a big enough squad
2. Battle Star: Galactica
3. Dune/Chaos in the Old World - haven't played those but heard they're great in that regard.

Nothing, really. Might DIY Dune and get CitOW and maybe the Discword: Ankh Morpork game but nothing really is really a must right now.

Nothing, really. We mostly play everything I like as it is.
>>
Where are you when glorty to rome was kill?

i was in shitterk, on iPhone
email come
"glory to rome is kill"

"no'
:((
>>
1. Netrunner, so I can test all the corps and factions. I'm purely Shapers and Jinteki so far, I need to branch out.
2. Roll for the Galaxy, because I really enjoyed my first play, and it seems like the sort of game where you need a little practice to really play it to it's fullest potential.
3. Pandemic Legacy so my family can fiiiiiinally play February, and hopefully several more months after that.

I've wanted a copy of Skull, I should probably go for that before it sells out in the online retailers.
Also Patchwork. I've needed a nice little homely 2p game and this is the best since Splendor, probably even more approachable.

Netrunner. Some of my friends are into it, but it would be cool to see all the total euro-lovers or filler-only players be willing to give it a try. If nothing else, it'd reveal a bit about them, as a bluffing game where you've built your own personal deck. It's very indicative of how you think.
And of course I'd have more opportunity to test new things.
>>
>>45940259
???? You lost me there - were they going to reprint it and then cancelled the reprint or did I miss something?
>>
>>45938771
>> If you could make your gaming group fall in love with one board game without fail, what game would it be?
>404: Law Not Found

I know dat feel! I might get to introduce one of my groups to that game this weekend. Last session several players were interested, but one had to leave so we played 'The Grizzled' instead. :)
>>
File: Roll for the Galaxy - Ambition.jpg (106 KB, 360x519) Image search: [Google]
Roll for the Galaxy - Ambition.jpg
106 KB, 360x519
>>45942435
>2. Roll for the Galaxy, because I really enjoyed my first play, and it seems like the sort of game where you need a little practice to really play it to it's fullest potential.

I like Roll for the Galaxy a lot too. Some people complain that there's no interaction - and while I'd agree that there isn't direct interaction, one still has to pay attention to the board state and other player's actions in order to get the most out their own dice pools. And if you enjoy the base game, check out the Ambition expansion once you're comfortable with the base game - it adds some new dice and several new dynamics to the game.
>>
>>45942437
they reprint, one of the designer fucks up his kickstarter and loses his life savings and house to ship the games, gets mad at the other designer for not being the one financially responsible, the company that owns the rights goes bankrupt, game can never be reprinted because of bad blood
>>
>>45942475
I'd bring it out to more meetups, but I end up playing with the new people, so nobody's willing to play a medium-weight programmable movement game.
>>45944628
Well, that's fucked up.
>>
>>45944628
Wow, what a train wreck. That just sucks. Rocks fall, everyone loses. The end.
>>
>>45930369
> What game, or game type surprised you the most when you ended up liking it?

I've played wargames for decades and didn't think I'd much like Euro style games. So I was pleasantly surprised at how much it's turned out that I like them. Now I've got 7 Wonders, Stone Age, Castles of Burgundy, Puerto Rico, Terra Mystica, Roll for the Galaxy and Archipelago. But there are a few I just can't get into for some reason - Caverna / Agricola, I'm looking at you. How about you Anons?
>>
>>45947129
>Castles of Burgundy
My second-favourite worker placement... I need to play that again soon.
>>
>>45930369
>> If you had an extended period of time where you could get in a lot of game plays, what 3 games would you want to explore the most?

Innovation
Race for the Galaxy
Caverna

>> What (if anything) is your next 'most desired' board game purchase?
Can't make up my mind between The Grand Austria Hotel and The Voyages of Marco Polo

Keyflower
>>
Champions of Bumpgard
>>
>>45947843
What's your first?
>>
>>45930369
>geek out on:
TI3: if only I had LOTS of time and a largish, resilient group of non morons to drag down with me
Mage Wars Arena: there is just SO MUCH you can do!
The Duke or Hive: been feeling like really diving into a brainy abstract

Also, not strictly a board game, but I've nostalgia'd hard for a good ol' Dark Sun campaign.

>today in chaotic wishlist:
Rex! nowait Viticulture! nowait Virgin Queen! nowait Twilight Struggle! nowait Blood Rage! nowait....

/bgg/, my name is anon, and I have a gaming problem I can't afford more games, and I must waste my time working instead of playing

>y u no like wat I like?
My friends won't ever play any 1v1 game. None. Zero, Nada. This makes me sad. Or angry, I forgot which.
>>
I got the LotR LCG core game coming in the mail. So hyped to play.
>>
>>45934849
I found Shub to be the easiest to beat so you may be fine. Very monster and combat heavy IIRC. As >>45934962 mentioned, Charlie is invaluable. I also find Trish to be solid.
>>
>>45953941
Everyone has a different experience it seems. Me and my friends played about 10 times, won every time except against Shub. We got our shit completely kicked in. There was a Gate in like five cities and at least 2 monsters on each city. Istanbul had fucking 8 monsters on it. We couldn't do anything without getting completely fucked from eighty different directions from all the monsters.
>>
>>45930369

1. Pandemic Legacy - I'm a big fan of Pandemic so I've been really wanting to try out Legacy. Sadly no group to play with.

2. T.I.M.E. Stories - Been really curious about it for a long time.

3. Blood Rage - Heard so many good things about it. Hopefully my preoder will come through this month.

I have a lot on my wishlist, but for the most part I really want to get a good 2-player game that I could play with my girlfriend. So I guess 7 Wonders Duel or Yinsh.

I love co-op games so it'd probably be a co-op game. To be honest, I only just started delving into board gaming so I'm not sure yet what I really like. For now I'll say Pandemic.
>>
>>45954086
We've lost to everyone but Shub and I think Yog we managed to win one. We found Shub's monster fighting to be more straightforward than Cthluhu madness all the time or that ice ancient one's hypothermia all the time.
>>

Twilight Imperium
Arkham Horror
Sentinel Tactics

Risk Legacy

Sentinels of the Multiverse. It is my favorite thing and the mechanics are delightful.
>>
wow
>>
On the topic of Eldritch Horror, how are the expansions?
My group started off with the base game and Forsaken Lore and it has been a fair challenge when we play 6+ but practically impossible when we play 4. One guy read somewhere on the internet that the Forsaken Lore expansion makes things to difficult and that the Mountains of Madness expansion brings it back down to reasonable levels.
I'm skeptical however, because to me it just looks like bloat as a result of feature creep much like Arkham Horror (with which we only tried the Dunwich Horror expansion and said "fuck it, let's jump ship to EH").
>>
I'm wishing to buy a new game. Can't choose between Conflict of Heroes or Pax Porfiriana. Anyone can tell me what do you think about them, have you ever played it and why it was good or bad? Accept recomendations
>>
>>45955770
My brother and I have Forsaken Lore, Mountains of Madness, and Strange Remnants. We want to get Under the Pyramids soon.

Mountains of Madness is great, we really enjoyed the addition of Focus tokens, Unique Assets/Allies, and Prelude cards. Exploring Antartica is neat, especially doing the new expedition adventure. Strange Remnants just adds on to everything again, but we only played it once so we haven't explored everything.
>>
Bump.

How do I make my gf get into board games anons? I was thinking of Takenoko
>>
>>45957411
Try it out with her, proably a lended game - maybe a 1v1 game, a coop or get Werewolf started at a party where's shes at.

I know this is a generalization but most girls don't like deep games - most I know are fine with every genre... just not anything deep. So Kemet is OK but GoT is out.
>>
File: 1454638723029.jpg (26 KB, 260x317) Image search: [Google]
1454638723029.jpg
26 KB, 260x317
>>45958782
>Tfw you've gotten 3 different women to play full sessions of ti3
>TFW you married one of them
>TFW she can kick your ass at battlecon, chaos in the old world, or ti3 any time of the week.
>TFW I'm waiting for Twilight Struggle to arrive so we can both poker face our constant anxiety of the board state

It's gonna be good.
>>
>>45957411
My girlfriend got into Pandemic and King of Tokyo so you can try those.
>>
>>45957411
Pandemic is the best way to go, it'll blow her mind that cooperative board games exist, which will open her up to all sorts of other things.
>>
File: 8452926.png (29 KB, 633x758) Image search: [Google]
8452926.png
29 KB, 633x758
>>45958913
Happy for you anon.

No, really.
>>
>>45957411
>>45958978
>>45959118

What the other anons said. I've introduced Pandemic to three separate "non gamer" girls over the last few months and it instantly became their favourite.
>>
>>45959421
I brought Pandemic to a friend's house, his gf had only played Hasbro-tier games + Catan. She grasped the mechanics pretty quickly but as the outbreaks hit us and the diseases spread uncontrollably, she got stressed out by the game, and was practically shaking after we lost on the 4th epidemic.
I came back a couple times after that and when I suggested Pandemic again to finally beat the game. She said she had fun, but would never play it again.
Well played Leacock, you broke a young woman's spirit.
>>
>>45951613
Viticulture.
>>
Lot of /tg/quote wives get mentioned, is it the most normie board?
>>
>>45959632
I don't know where "quote" came from there. Ignore
>>
File: wtf-does-this-have-a-watermark.jpg (91 KB, 615x689) Image search: [Google]
wtf-does-this-have-a-watermark.jpg
91 KB, 615x689
>>45958913
Pic related

>>45959632
Why I considered serious board-gaming as a hobby for wizard-leve perma virgins and other assorted nerds it actually did wonders for my social life. I mean the perma virgins do exist but they have their own niche and boardgaming is a pretty nice way to meet people and socialize with friends you already know.
>>
>>45959566

Heh, I've had this problem a couple of times with Escape : curse of the temple. "That was great ! But too stressful. I don't want to play it again"

AWWWWW MAAAAAN !
>>
>>45959632
>Nolife neckbeard LARPing basement dwellers injecting magical realms everywhere
>Obsessive-compulsive manchildren arguing about the most diminutive things
>People who will voluntarily go hungry to purchase miniatures/cards/books/boardgames

Yeah we normalfag here.
>>
>>45959819
In comparison to other boasts of course.
Have you seen the philmarillion?
>>
>>45959819
/tg/ activities often require social interactions with other people irl, which is as normalfag as boards go
>>
File: Ankh-Morpork.jpg (173 KB, 660x660) Image search: [Google]
Ankh-Morpork.jpg
173 KB, 660x660
Still one of the best board games I've ever played

I can't believe it's been a year.
>>
>>45954272
Oh yeah, with another group of friends we lost to Cthulhu and Yog.
I got MoM but I haven't played it with anyone else yet. Just solo.

Curbstomped RotET but lost twice against Ithaqua and only barely managed to scrape by on the third try.
>>
>>45955770
I find it lacks the feature creep of Arkham. It adds like five or 6 new mechanics, but only 2 are mandatory.
>>
File: pic2661579[1].jpg (699 KB, 619x837) Image search: [Google]
pic2661579[1].jpg
699 KB, 619x837
Anybody here played or is interested in Talon?

Shit looks cash, man. I didn't even knew I needed this, until I saw it. Who in their right mind doesn't want a capital ship fleet battle game that doesn't cost a firstborn son?
>>
>>45961963
That's some great box art... got kind of a 80's/90's vibe to it (not the TOTALLY RADICAL kind either, as fun as that can be sometimes)
>>
>>45961963
No, though I haven't paid much attention to it either. I watched just a bit of the conclusion in marcowargamer's review and he seems VERY happy with this game, so I'm probably gonna have a closer look at it. For those interested, conclusion at 18:33 -
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jz4vPPcDjMo

It's also cool that they have rules to integrate it with Space Empires: 4x (REPRINT NAO GMT FFS).

On a somewhat related note:

>Who in their right mind doesn't want a capital ship fleet battle game that doesn't cost a firstborn son?
Imagine if GMT were to collaborate with FFG on this one and make plastic-heavy version. Would INSTA buy.
>>
>>45962923
These guys and SJG's OGRE need to have a little 'get-together' with Reaper Minis and do a KS for plastic ships and plastic scale OGRE minis. I'm gonna have to get medieval on management's ass if they don't get this done SOON. SSSSOOOOOONNNNNN!

Affordable and good looking scale ships, tanks, Ogres, etc, - why isn't this already 'a thing'?
>>
>>
Does anyone have any experience playing the Dungeon! board game? I am interested in playing it from a historical context, since it pre-dates the DnD game. The rather kiddish art on the 2014 box concerns me, is this a child's game or does it contain some modicum of strategy?
>>
>>45965228
It does not predate D&D, it's really a bare-bones super simplified dungeon crawl based on D&D. It features iconic classes, spells and monsters out of 1st Ed. 8 y/o me loved it to bits, had to buy it 2 more times because 6 kids and tiny cards and tokens are natural enemies
>>
File: 516vqwN4rqL[1].jpg (55 KB, 389x500) Image search: [Google]
516vqwN4rqL[1].jpg
55 KB, 389x500
Played some Chaos in the Old World today, was pretty fun.

Also ordered this bad boy yesterday.
How did I do?
>>
Have you guys had any good thrift store hauls lately? I found a near-complete copy of HeroQuest at a local store for $2 a couple weeks ago. A couple of the minis are in need of a dab of glue, and it's missing the cardboard piece that attaches to one of treasure chests, but other than that it's all accounted for and the box is in pretty fair shape. I remember playing this game as a kid.
>>
>>45966510
It does indeed predate DnD by a couple years - DnD was commercially available before Dungeon! but Dungeon! existed prior as a spinoff of Arneson's Blackmoor Chainmail game and was an influence on Gary Gygax when he compiled the rules that would become DnD.
>>
My most wanted right now is probably Caverna, but it's $80 and I don't have extra cash for luxuries right now. Really love playing Agricola so this one is a shoo-in.
>>
>>45957411
Probably something simple and fun, that leaves a lot of room for social interaction/smalltalk.
>>
>>45966914
I got schooled, thx anon, gotta do my homework first
>>
>>45966930
I can only recommend it. I don't like to use the word, but it's really fucking comfy. Also easy to pick up, but you should also invest in some kind of toolbox for all the fucking pieces. They look great and add to the atmosphere, but there are just so many of em...
>>
>>45966729
It's pretty good, expect approximately 1 hour per player game length though.

On a related note, which would take longer? A game of Forbidden Star where every ground fight is resolved by a game of 40k and space battle is resolved by a game of Battlefleet Gothic OR a full game of Campaign for North Africa?
>>
File: pic1413731.jpg (5 MB, 4200x2727) Image search: [Google]
pic1413731.jpg
5 MB, 4200x2727
>>45966881
I got this for £3 - sadly, I'm never going to bring it out, so all I can do is sell it for a stupid amount of money.
>>
>>45968306
>It's pretty good, expect approximately 1 hour per player game length though.
I'm totally alright with that.
I wouldn't even mind if those games were'nt restricted by some sort of turn limit, even if it would take forever.
>>
File: pic2623276_lg[1].jpg (886 KB, 1024x683) Image search: [Google]
pic2623276_lg[1].jpg
886 KB, 1024x683
Tiny Epic Kingdoms 2nd Edition plus the expansion pack Heroes Call showed up today. Flipped through it, read the new rules, checked out the balance changes, and played the new solo mode. Game went from air-tight to downright claustrophobic, I love it. The new war towers mechanic just gobble up space like crazy, turning the game from a somewhat leisurely 4x into a knife fight inside a phone booth. That said, the AI is fairly dumb, and halfway through the game I was able to trap it in a single region which it never had the ability to escape from. So I wouldn't recommend it as a solo game. But boy, I can't wait to get this to the table now. I had previously owned the 1st edition, but I traded it away because it wasn't aggressive enough, and now I think it's gonna be the bloodbath it deserves to be.
>>
>>45947129
>What game, or game type surprised you the most when you ended up liking it?
Can I do the opposite and say that I expected to enjoy Race for the Galaxy and I found it thoroughly unengaging?
I'm pretty much the only person in my group who brings games, and I buy things that look interesting, so I can't say I've had much in the way of positive surprises. I guess I'll say Dominion, as it was the first game I bought, and still one of my favorites.
>>
>>45930369
1. BattleCON. It is my absolute favorite game, and yet my friends hate it, so I never get to play it.
2. Cthulhu Wars, along with all its expansions. I have the base game and it is extremely deep; according to those online who've gotten the expansions they make the game even better.
3. Gloomhaven. If I'm wishing for rainbows, I might as well go whole hog. It's a Kickstarter that has not yet delivered, but my god the game it is shaping up to be. Pic related is the white box proof. 1600 cards. 80 scenarios. 17 character classes, 11 of which are secret and tucked away in sealed boxes and must be unlocked through play. Legacy style RPG-in-a-box dungeon crawler with some extremely smart and sharp game mechanics. No dice. Action cards as a health mechanic. Unlockable secrets absolutely everywhere. I don't know what's more depressing, the wait for the game to be delivered, or the knowledge that even after it gets here I'll never have the time to fully explore it.

I'm >>45961963 so I'm strongly looking at Talon as my next purchase. However, the thing is proving tough to find, as it has sold so well that it's first print run is nearly gone. Might have to wait on a reprint...

Same as above -- BattleCON. I simply adore that game, yet my friends are complete plebs and hate it. I wish I could at least play it occasionally.
>>
>>45968320
>sadly, I'm never going to bring it out
Any specific reason why?

I got near-complete Warhammer Quest for equivalent of $50, not gonna show up with it until I get the missing pieces of decent substitutes.
>>
>>45970000
First off, nice quads. Secondly, the playtime is too long for anyone I show it to. It's actually kinda heavy for a 90's kid's game.
>>
1. Legacy game, prolly Pandemic, but Seafall looks sexy too.
2. SW:Rebellion looks like the war game I've always wanted, but too costly for too long a playtime with my current group.
3. Not a board game but I wish our rpg group had more time to get sessions in, seems like I only get to do that once every 6-8 weeks

> What (if anything) is your 'most desired' board game purchase?
There's too many "next" games, but I'd really love to get my hands on 3-4 sets of Roadzters, it'd be loads easier if I was in the EU, seems like the people in the US who have copies don't want to part with it for less than msrp.

I love Escape but all my local gaming buddies feel it's too stressful to be fun.
>>
B U M P
U
M
P
>>
Game session tomorrow, hope I can successfully teach CitOW to newbs, we will be using the Morrslieb deck to tone down Khorne a bit.
>>
File: 1456224402587.jpg (14 KB, 592x448) Image search: [Google]
1456224402587.jpg
14 KB, 592x448
>>45974853
Tone down khorne.
Nigga what. That is a crucial step to learning the inner workings of the game.
If you go for your own goals and ignore board state, khorne wins. And wins hard. Realizing this and considering ways to mitigate this awesome fighting strength is pretty important, I feel. Negate that a little bit, and they might be in for a shock when you go back to regular cards.

>waddaya mean he gets two free dice anywhere on the map?
>the fuck is this teleporting two warriors to the other side of the old world just to kick me in the balls?

Also, advising players to go for nurgle dial victory: not even once.
I really want to try the morslieb decks myself, but only once i have even more games under my belt and to serve as a change in pace. First game? You craycray
>>
>>45975268
>>45974853

I like the Morrslieb Khorne deck tbqh, strategy is switched to focused aggression and tactical territory control instead of just being a mindless berserker rampaging through the board.
Granted, a new player who learned tha game playing Morrslieb will likely have a bad time dealing with good ol' BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! Khorne.
>>
>>45977527
How is stone age w/ 2?
>>
>>45978809
Fuck unintended reply sry
>>
>>45978809
Stone Age isn't bad with 2. It's less crowded, but that isn't a bad thing - it just changes your strategy a bit. Try it out on Board Game Arena. You can download the regular game rules to read, and then play on BGA where the software does all the score keeping which is nice.
>>
>>45979023
Thanks.
>>
Do you guys have a "guilty pleasure" game? For me it's Talisman. We have a few expansions. It's a great game for sitting around drinking with friends.
>>
I won a game of Puerto Rico with 50 points, beating out two 49's and a 47.
Do we all suck, or are we all excellent?
>>
>>45979805
>It's a great game for sitting around drinking with friends.
Naw we got Netflix for that, bullshitting about Hemlock Grove was more fun than all the games of Munchkin, Talisman, and CaH I've played combined.
>>
>>45979805

It's all nostalgia, but I still love playing Atmosfear/Nightmare. That old VHS tape man.

I AM THE GATEKEEPER !
>>
>>45979805
Exploding Kittens. It's quick Russian roulette gameplay that always makes my family laugh. That makes it a win in my book
>>
>>45979805
Epic Spell Wars. It's gross-out comedy at it's lowest and has mechanics lighter than a feather, but it's still fun to mess with everyone
>>
>>45983554
I'll play most anything as long as the people around the table have a good time. The Goose included. Fuck that game.
>>
>>45981467
I'm just a sucker for adventuring in games. I agree about Cards Against Humanity. It gets really boring. Talisman gives me that feeling of exploration and dungeons and monsters that I love.
>>
Is there something like what /mu/ does when they ironically play bad stuff until they genuinely enjoy it, but /tg/ related?
>>
>>45986551
http://flipthetable.libsyn.com/rss
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=unYBsQM1olc
>>
File: wut.jpg (32 KB, 306x423) Image search: [Google]
wut.jpg
32 KB, 306x423
>>45986729
Lordy
>>
We should swap usernames for official digital versions of popular board games, like Patchwork and Star Realms.
Might make my life slightly less boring.
I'm Vilci on both of those.
>>
Can someone post the pics of recommendations? 2 player/couples games and general?
>>
>>45987165
Not a big fan of Beer & Board Games, but Flip The Table is one of my favourite podcasts to listen to while doing stuff.
>>
>>45986729
>>45987165
>>45988480
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D5BCB-mvwV8
>>
File: boardgames.png (2 MB, 2016x899) Image search: [Google]
boardgames.png
2 MB, 2016x899
>>45987695
>>45987695
>>45987695
More like this, please?
>>
>>45989599
That pic is pretty good. I'm not an expert, but if you tell me what games you like I can try to recommend some that are similar.
>>
So, my shop has a copy of Mage Knight, and I'm possible looking for something nice for when I'm alone (all the time). How is Mage Knight as one player game?
>>
>>45990039
Mage Knight works really well solo from what I've read. Supposed to be one of the best. Also great with 2, but can get a good bit longer as you add more players (again, this is what I've read).
>>
>>45981957
See
>>45989394
>>
>>45990693

Just watched it. It was alright.
>>
>>45966729
I'm going to buy Forbidden Stars or Chaos in the Old World tomorrow. Which should I get?

New boardgame guy here, This is what I have so far:
Space Hulk
FF's The Horus Heresy
Zombiecide + expansions
Lanterns
Pandemic
King of Tokyo

So far everyone likes Zombiecide and Lanterns the best. Ive tried Horus Heresy a few times, its pretty brutal and Im not sure why they even made a game like this.
>>
>>45991302
Sounds like you like games with lots of flavor, and co-op games. Look into Arkham/Eldritch Horror, and Elder Sign. All co-op dripping with theme and set in the world of the Cthulhu mythos. All can be played solo as well (you'd just play 2+ characters). Arkham is the oldest and most archaic, but also the most satisfying to win (hardest) and tons of flavor. You explore the town rather than Eldritch where you explore the whole world. Arkham also has tons of expansions, I believe 8 at last count. Eldritch is tighter and more mechanically sound and less fiddly, but some lore/feel is sacrificed in the process. Elder Sign is the younger brother of the other two but is still fun. Good flavor, plays much quicker, and relies more heavily on dice rolls (it's a dice game disguised as an adventure). I'd be happy to talk about them more or recommend other co-ops.
>>
>>45990039
>>45990340

Seconded. The 'dummy player' keeps you honest and there's a real quality feel of exploring and solo adventuring.

Bought it to play with a small group, but I get as much or more solo time out of it. Just a really well built game.
>>
>>45991302
If people enjoyed Lanterns try Istanbul, my group loves both for when we're in the mood for something a bit more euro, but not too heavy.
>>
File: BGGsuggestions02.png (3 MB, 1833x1500) Image search: [Google]
BGGsuggestions02.png
3 MB, 1833x1500
>>45989599
>>
File: gf games v2.png (2 MB, 1625x1012) Image search: [Google]
gf games v2.png
2 MB, 1625x1012
>>45993606
>>
>>45992068
>Seconded. The 'dummy player' keeps you honest and there's a real quality feel of exploring and solo adventuring.

Be glad - the 'dummy player' in a 2 player game of The Grizzled is largely useless. I have yet to see anyone win a 2 player game of that.
>>
File: v-related traditional games2.png (6 MB, 1256x3151) Image search: [Google]
v-related traditional games2.png
6 MB, 1256x3151
>>
>>45993647
One day I will finish revising this, there's been so many good suggestions, and I keep thinking Lanterns and Pinata deserve back on.

>>45997457
Need to swap the Rampage image with Terror in Meeple City, it's getting hard to find a copy of the original edition in stores now.

>>45991817
Elder Sign is a nice dice chucker, though I'm still not sure if it's the best one I own, Escape and KoT scratch the same chuck buckets of dice itch in much less time, and the theme doesn't come across as well as it could. Gates of Arkham helps, and hopefully the Alaska expansion gives it as much challenge as the app does. Working on building a 6 fold board for it this week, maybe that plus a new insert will make me want to get it to the table more often.
>>
>>45961963
>Anybody here played or is interested in Talon?

Looks promising.
Wouldn't mind owning it but might be hard to find people to play it with.
>>
>>46001822
>One day I will finish revising this, there's been so many good suggestions, and I keep thinking Lanterns and Pinata deserve back on.

That's the hard part, you almost need an image per category as there are a lot of good choices these days. People keep starting these, but then don't seem to finish when they realize how large a job it is.
>>
>>46001958
To be fair I did 4 revisions of it in 3 hours while having my morning coffee on a day off from work. Just need another day when I'm project free to finish it up.
>>
>>45991302
Forbidden Stars is great with 2-3 players and ok with 4, expect 1 hour per player play time.

CitOW is amazing with 4 players who know the game well, not so good with less players. It's also got a much steeper learning curve in how to play (khorne will wreck face unless the other 3 spend some of their time stalling him) It's the better game with 4, but if you're going to be playing with less people more often, go Forbidden Stars.
>>
Fuuuuuuck I can't decide between Archipelago / Kemet / Sheriff of Nottingham & some smaller games

Help me /bgg/, you're my only hope.
>>
>>46004282
those are very different games, what sort of games do you already have?
>>
>>46004366
what I lack most is Euro's/worker placement, but I won't get much of a chance to play those either. I'm leaning towards Kemet just because I can get it at a good price.
>>
File: BGG Euros.png (659 KB, 992x1240) Image search: [Google]
BGG Euros.png
659 KB, 992x1240
>>46004282
>I can't decide between Archipelago / Kemet / Sheriff of Nottingham & some smaller games

Archipelago is great, but definitely heavy. You might look at Splendor, Stone Age, 7 Wonders, or Five Tribes. (I'd even consider Castles of Burgundy a medium Euro, but that's my take.)

Kemet is an excellent strategy game with more of a wargame bent to it as one of the primary ways to get victory points is by winning battles as the attacker.

As for the light games - see:
>>45989599
>>45993606
>>45993647
>>
>>46004282
Personally I would go with Archipelago, but that has more to do with me considering Sheriff to be a broken, unbalanced game than due to the merits of Archipelago itself. Sheriff is a game about dealmaking, and yet depending on where people sit in terms of player order different people will end up with different abilities to make and enforce deals. First player, notably, gets extremely screwed over by this; they can make no deals at all prior to their first go as sheriff, and can only make promises for their behavior the second time around, which happens halfway through the game. The entire last half of the game, because they have no future turns as sheriff to bargain with the first player has zero leverage on anybody, and a group pretty much has to instate an honor system just to even keep them in the game. And personally, any game that requires an honor system to be balanced isn't a game that is worth playing.
>>
File: Citadels 01.png (505 KB, 446x398) Image search: [Google]
Citadels 01.png
505 KB, 446x398
>>46005949
Not the Anon you were replying to, and while I haven't played Sheriff, that doesn't exactly sound appealing. I might suggest taking a look at Citadels, it's a fairly fast playing game (with long games being 45 minutes) and a lot of fun.
>>
Alright folks, me and my friends enjoyed blood bowl, but now we want more violence and guns and campaign style play. So I took Necromunda and started reading through it. Now, me and my buddies have our own favorite Sci-Fi campaign world, so we thought of giving Necromunda and giving it a new paintjob, but before that I wanted to see if any of you guys had ideas of:
1 - Similar but better systems for sci-fi gangs having murderhobo fights than Necromunda Underhive
2 - Ideas on how to make Necromunda better, maybe, although the game seems pretty fine

In the end all we want is a good system to create gangs that maul each other for turf when none of us has better to do that night.
>>
File: STH75176.jpg (436 KB, 1536x1152) Image search: [Google]
STH75176.jpg
436 KB, 1536x1152
Why, /bgg/, there seems to be a parcel here! Looks like it's from France... and rather badly dinged up, I fear.

What could be inside? Godes de dragon? Coussin de corps?
>>
File: STH75177.jpg (341 KB, 1536x1152) Image search: [Google]
STH75177.jpg
341 KB, 1536x1152
Well, we won't find out by sitting around here, mangling the French language all day!
>>
File: STH75178.jpg (705 KB, 1536x1152) Image search: [Google]
STH75178.jpg
705 KB, 1536x1152
Is it... could it be?
>>
File: STH75179.jpg (731 KB, 1536x1152) Image search: [Google]
STH75179.jpg
731 KB, 1536x1152
OH MERDE, CRAQUELIN!
>>
File: STH75181.jpg (693 KB, 1536x1152) Image search: [Google]
STH75181.jpg
693 KB, 1536x1152
Everything's there, and in amazing condition, to boot (the rule book's a little dented from where somebody thumbed through it once, but you can't have everything). There's even bags for all the tokens (still unpunched!) which I don't think even came with the game.

All of this cost me £31.
>>
Here's hoping none of you got tricked by that recent kickstarter.
>>
>>46007496
which one?
>>
>>46007530
The Sentinels one that ended last Friday.
>>
>>46006506
Check out Infinity
>>
>>46006890
Have you played it before? It's got great longevity due to there being so many stories. We have a lot of fun with it, and each game is different.
>>
>>46007496
>>46007549
What was the 'trick'? What happened?
>>
>>46004282
Go for Kemet.
Not too long, fun take on technology/upgrades. Constant combat and scales well from 3-5.
>>
>>46007715
I'd heard good things about it... then I saw it being played on The Dice Tower's 24 hour game-a-thon, and I went "Well, I need to get that in my life."
>>
>>46007772
It's a kickstarter. It's always a scam.
>>
>>46007994
I see. So you were merely pretending to be retarded?
>>
>>46006506
Necromunda is really easy to re skin. Mechanically, you don't have to fiddle with the system, the game is fine.
You just need to find miniatures and terrain that fit the aesthetics of your favorite setting and adjust the fluff.
>>
>>46007864
One suggestion I have is to eschew the destiny/story tokens and instead have each player just write down their chosen total on a slip of paper and stick it in their pocket. It's annoying to have to reference them during gameplay.
>>
Jesus, some guy just pumped out 2 expansions for Eldritch Horror.
https://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/129487/gaze-ghatanothoa-ao-expansion-v1
https://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/129665/ygolonac-ao-expansion

I played Ghatanothoa. That reckoning effect seems absolutely brutal, but it's not THAT bad.
Won 2 times, got completely annihilated the third. Can't wait to try it out with some friends.

As for the Y'Golonac one, I haven't tried it out yet because they just released it today and the mysteries aren't up yet. Looks cool I guess.
>>
>>46008150
Thanks, I'll do just that
And for the aesthetics, don't worry, we got what it takes
>>
>>46006506
You do have some alternatives - there's "Tomorrow's War" which is a solid SF rules set, the book is just badly laid out which can make finding certain things wonky. There's also the Infinity skirmish game. There are other rules out there too - like 'Dirt Side / D.S. II', etc.
>>
>>46008502
Duly noted. Does it really take two hours? Because I can imagine that might make it a harder sell...
>>
>>46010977
It really depends on where in the book encounters send you. A guy could get lucky and rack up his points quick, or get slammed with several nasty status effects (some of which explicitly state "you may not win the game while you have this status"). Think of it less like a game and more like an adventure. There is very little skill involved, but that doesn't mean it's not a lot of fun with the right group. A party used to heavy euros all the time will almost certainly dislike it. We usually just keep playing until someone gets bored or wants to switch to another game. Our first time with 2 probably took 2.5 hours, including reading rules (which are light).
>>
>>46011355
Gotcha - I might bring it along to one of the longer meetups in my area.
>>
File: tumblr_mc1wy2fzco1r2bd8io1_500.jpg (103 KB, 500x682) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_mc1wy2fzco1r2bd8io1_500.jpg
103 KB, 500x682
What are some good spooky themed games?

I don't want anything related to Cthulhu and I already own Betrayal
>>
>>46012570

Mysterium, last night on earth, a touch of evil, legendary encounters alien, Camp Grizzly...

Atmosfear/Nightmare.

TIME stories has horror themes.
>>
>>46012526
It's a great game for people who like to get into character. There are lots of opportunities for reading different voices and using a lot of gestures while telling the stories. The game really is fun in the "feel like a kid again watching old movies" way. Have you played many games that are all down to luck? Another that comes to mind is DungeonQuest, and while they both have bad things that can happen, TOTAN is much more forgiving.
Thread replies: 164
Thread images: 29

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.