[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What system has the best knife play rules? Does anyone else wish
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 7
File: 14AKVG_m.jpg (18 KB, 500x333) Image search: [Google]
14AKVG_m.jpg
18 KB, 500x333
What system has the best knife play rules? Does anyone else wish that knives were still deadly in the modern world to break the monotony of firearms?
>>
File: DSC05610.jpg (352 KB, 900x675) Image search: [Google]
DSC05610.jpg
352 KB, 900x675
>>46138732
knives never got less lethal in mos cases...it's just that guns are WAY MORE LETHAL...

that and guns require WAY LESS training than melee weapons...

it saddens me that melee weapons are so unpopular these days...
>>
There was a game I used to like called Spookengine. Standard modern dicepool thing.

Had a few neat features for knifeplay. Initiative was determined by weapon range and common sense. Basically, if you had a knife and the other guy didn't you went first. If you had a gun and he hand a knife, you went first. If you're in melee, you have a knife and he has a long gun (long enough he needs to back up a bit to put you in front of it) you go first. If you're on equal terms and armed identically, the GM might well rule simultaneous initiative. You both scored a hit? You might both be fatally wounded.

Second, health was called Luck. Any lethal attack (knife wounds, gunshots, falls greater than four metres, etc) would knock off one luck. Thing was, you didn't know how much luck you had. It was rolled in secret by the DM, we did it at the start of a session, and could be between none and four.

Basically, fights were brutal as fuck, nobody wanted to be in a fight, and knife fights were no exception.
>>
File: DSC07165.jpg (320 KB, 900x675) Image search: [Google]
DSC07165.jpg
320 KB, 900x675
>>46138927
sounds brutal, I like it...
>>
File: 1xzQkSo.png (182 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
1xzQkSo.png
182 KB, 400x400
>>46138927
>>
>>46138732
>Does anyone else wish that knives were still deadly in the modern world to break the monotony of firearms?
Aren't they the biggest urban killer?
>>
>>46138732
Knives ARE still deadly. It's just that you have to be utterly retarded to bring a knife to a gun fight, unless you've got the drop on the guy.
There's an old adage that says that in a knife fight, the loser dies at the scene, while the winner dies in the ambulance on the way to the hospital.
You WILL get cut and/or stabbed in a knife fight.
>>
>>46138896
Next you'll be saying melee weapons are for true skilled killers while guns are point-and-click kills for cowardly faggots or something equally as pathetic.

Most modern-setting systems I've played have knives be lethal (nWoD, Savage Worlds), it's just guns are a better choice. Especially if your opponent is smart and wearing a stab vest.
>>
Knives are horribly deadly, guns are just longer ranged.

>>46139099
Depends where you are, in America gangs use shitty pistols that are easy to hide most of the time. Knives are the second most common murder weapon after pistols though.
>>
>>46138732
Knives are still deadly and you are more likely to die from a knife would than a gun-shot wound if you end up in a fight.

Still guns are the more effective weapon simply because of range.

If shit like bullshit Chi and body strengthening magic were real than that'd be another story since in the end you'd hit harder in melee than at range and could bounce off bullets with the power of your abbs.
>>
>>46139212
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UyCzZH_hFlA

:^^^^^^^^^)
>>
>>46139183
This is why the best way to kill with a knife (or any way for that matter) is less a fight and more a murder.

Ideally you've stabbed them twice before they even realise you have a weapon.

If you're engaged knife on knife something has gone horribly wrong.
>>
>>46139212
>Especially if your opponent is smart and wearing a stab vest.

The only real issue with this is that bulletproof vests and body armor actually don't do that great a job at stopping a knife, and stab/slash-resistant material doesn't really stop bullets. While in theory you could simply wear both, the reality is that most people wear one or the other, and since guns are the go-to weapon (rightfully) of our generation, it's almost always bulletproof armor with ceramic or steel plate inserts.

Ironically, melee weapons like high-quality short swords, axes, and knives are pretty good at cutting through a guys armor, as 99% of the time they're wearing bulletproof armor. Problem is, you have to get close enough to use it.
>>
>>46138732
>sharpened, hardened slab of metal
>not deadly
>>
File: 1429472177281.jpg (116 KB, 900x600) Image search: [Google]
1429472177281.jpg
116 KB, 900x600
GURPS does it pretty well.

Knives are easy to stab someone with, hard to parry with and hard to block with your hands without getting your hands messed up. Basically its a mugs game and you should only do if you have no other choice just like it is in real life.

Knives are for stabbing people who don't know you are there, utility and last ditch emergencies.
>>
File: 1367558813625.jpg (708 KB, 1280x960) Image search: [Google]
1367558813625.jpg
708 KB, 1280x960
>>46139317
They make concealable ballistic vests that stop knives as well now. You can also put a lightweight stab proof plate in any vest with a plate pocket.

And depends on the area, in many countries only SWAT teams and similar wear ballistic armour because knives are more common.
>>
>>46139317
I think ballistic inserts do a good job protecting against edged weapons. Too bad they don't cover your arms, legs, neck, etc
>>
>>46139317
nWoD and SW both have body armour that works differently when attacked with bullets or blades.
Not that it matters, in either system a lucky hit can put you down with or without armour.
>>
>>46139297
Or the other guy just doesn't HAVE a knife.
>>46139317
>bulletproof vests and body armor actually don't do that great a job at stopping a knife
I don't think you understand fully how this dichotomy works.
SOFT body armor is bad at stopping knives. Stuff like concealable vests meant to be worn under clothing. It's just woven kevlar, basically really tough cloth, a good sharp knife can cut through the fibers.
But a trauma plate will very much stop a knife.
It's nearly an inch of ceramic, rated to stop .30-06 AP rounds, you're not going to stab through that.
>>
>>46139212

I was thinking of this. It seems like whenever melee weapons are brought up in discussions about modern day games it assumes certain things that I don't believe are always the case:

First, it assumes that everyone is armored up at all times and not,say, wearing street cloths or a business suit

Second, it assumes that people never move around in a fight or will ever loose their weapon or run out of ammo and that most combat just happens at range like some kind of Napoleonic style warfare with cover

Third, it assumes that everyone is some kind of highly trained professional soldier and not common folks or street thugs who arn't kitted out with military grade weapons

Finally, it assumes that there is never a situation where stealth wouldn't be good sans making a lot of noise blowing a dudes brains out.

This can be said for bows/arrows and crossbows as well.

Point being, depending on the game you would be and should be making use of everything around you and where it's appropriate and I can't justify a PC carrying around a SAW strapped to their back when going to meet their quest giver in a public restaurant.
>>
File: Assault-Spoon.jpg (64 KB, 800x532) Image search: [Google]
Assault-Spoon.jpg
64 KB, 800x532
>>46139099
I believe the Spoon has taken that spot in the UK currently.
>>
>Guns are just incredibly long, incredibly portable pikes.
It's all about reach
>>
>>46139564
>everyone is armored up at all times
>everyone is some kind of highly trained professional soldier kitted out with military grade weapons
I see you've met all player characters ever.
>>
>>46139599
>you don't 'need' eating utensils to eat
t. Jalit Sharma
Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.