[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Tell me about fighting styles in your setting, /tg/. Are there
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 8
File: 1445906038437.jpg (148 KB, 682x900) Image search: [Google]
1445906038437.jpg
148 KB, 682x900
Tell me about fighting styles in your setting, /tg/. Are there any notable fighting styles? What are they known for? Are they associated with certain races or groups?
What about fairly-known fighters? What are they known for?
>>
Due to their stronger lower part of the body, my elves like to kick, smash their knees into heads or jump at their target to ram whatever weapon they are holding into it.
>>
Hammerdances are a very short string of attacks with a polehammer/lucerne that start a cut, a stab, a quick smite with the hammer and then the fighter disengages with a swing of the pick. Each hit is more severe than the last.
They are used by the castle guards of the desert cities. The royalguard of this city is extreme. They use massive weapons made of the very lightweight mithril. While still remarkably heavy for a weapon, the size of them enable (and disable) them to do certain things. The Great Mallet of Azakel cannot be parried and if it's not blocked it simply makes them stumble to the ground. The Great Longsword of Sanada can be used as a pole vault, and from this great height hecan swing the weapon back around and unleash something of a jumping strike at unreal speeds. The Great Scimitar is simply a scimitar the size of a zweihander, and he charges into hordes, holding the blunt edge to himself and begins to twist, dealing great cuts to many people with minimal arm movement. The Queensguard are a force of thoroughbred humans with a disgusting amount of reverence for the queen to the point of asceticism, so all of their greatest attacks involve selfharm, the most fantastic of which literally tearing the swordman to ribbons.
>>
In my setting the main style is sword and board traditional fighting, associated with the English. There are a lot of minor styles present, like a gladiator style tripper build associated with the remnants of rome, berzerker style associated with norse invaders, and a simple but effective unarmed grappler style associated with jews. There's also a weebshit berzerker+ style called Kriegerfetchen invented by a PC.
>>
>>46055292
>A simple but effective unarmed grappler style associated with jews.

Jew-Jitsu then?
>>
>>46055344
I suppose so. I actually killed a PC with it when he tried to raid a synagogue without backup.
>>
>>46055368
Sounds awesome, DESU.
>>
>>46055344
>Jew-Jitsu then?
The closest real martial arts would be Krav Maga.

>Stop going for my groin!
>No groin, no krav maga.
>>
>>46055748
Krav Maga isn't grappling-based, though..
>>
>>46055748
well no it'd be jiu-jitsu, or like, catch wrestling, depending on how you define 'simple but effective', as jiu-jitsu can get pretty complex with berimbolo, de la riva guard, and worm guard and shit.
>>
>>46054904
A few.

The dwarves practice a form of rhythmic battle-chant that involves singing, stomping and swinging their weapons in response to their opponent's attacks and defenses, and adjusting the flow according to the enemy's own responses. It's like a one-man dance-battle beat down, set to their own theme music. More experienced and better-trained war-chanters can both blend their chanting together for disturbingly well synchronized group tactics and formations, and can even use their chanting to suppress and shut down magical effects in their immediate area.

Gnomes are typically nine to twelve inches tall, are capable of leaping four to five times their height and, through a quirk of evolution, have a thickness and density to their skulls that allow them to crack solid rock with a single blow. As such, most gnome combat styles involve violently launching themselves headfirst at an opponent, and aiming to either bash them into submission or knock them senseless. This is the reason for the pointy hats (and yes, they have pointy hats), most of which are made of hard wood, stone or metal, and are passed down as family heirlooms.

Suppose I have a few more, if you're interested.
>>
File: 1457890906545.jpg (598 KB, 910x665) Image search: [Google]
1457890906545.jpg
598 KB, 910x665
Boxing and Wrestling are the main forms of sport learned in my !Roman empire. Boys are expected to take one or the other as a physical sport during their schooling as military service is a prerequisite to being a statesmen.

In the Southern Spanish/Greeco Empire they focus more on wrestling and Sabot due to being Fishermen and sailors
>>
>>46057302
oss.
>>
File: White.Mage.full.116268.jpg (268 KB, 630x724) Image search: [Google]
White.Mage.full.116268.jpg
268 KB, 630x724
Magic in my realm is controlled by focus. Fighters with magical sensitivity send their energy to their arms and legs to strengthen their attacks.
>>
>>46055067
My magical realm detector is going off.

Maybe I'm just hateful and jaded though.
>>
>>46058070
What makes you think that?
>>
>>46058188
I don't know. It just kind of makes me twitch. I assume that it's not, but this place has ruined me.
>>
File: Sikhs_with_chakrams.jpg (18 KB, 398x535) Image search: [Google]
Sikhs_with_chakrams.jpg
18 KB, 398x535
>>46054904
My dark elfs are famous for their unamed combination of dance, capoeira and chakram. They use leg-throws and leg-bluffs a lot.

It's useful for gueixa-like courtesans, bards and spies, skirmishers and ship boarding.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l79WlkfxI-4
>>
>>46055368
fuck you gavin
>>
>>46059604
Interesting. Good reference video so we can get an idea what the fighting style looks like.
>>
File: MR.png (6 KB, 396x396) Image search: [Google]
MR.png
6 KB, 396x396
>>46058064
>Magic in my realm
>>
In my setting, there aren't normal berserkers. There are, however, a sect of monks that attempt to use anger to reach enlightenment.

It came from the idea of 'blind rage'. The goal of meditation as it was explained to me is to attempt to clear the mind entirely. When you're REALLY angry, you aren't thinking about much of anything besides how angry you are.

So there's a bunch of viking monks living in the Hills that have PERFECT control over their anger, and so when they fly in to a rage, their conscious mind is free to contemplate the universe while their animal subconscious controls their body, which is wildly attempting to destroy everything around it.

As a result, when the rage-monk awakens from a bloodlust, he usually does so with some new revelation about life, society, how the world works, etc.

The fighting style is pretty typical berserker-mode animal nonsense, but it seemed relevant so I figured I'd share.
>>
>>46060210
Buddhism has a thing like that. A kind of guardian spirits who rage against those who try to stop people from reaching enlightenment and just beat the crap out of the offenders. Forget their name at the moment
>>
>>46060269
That's neat. I found out not too long ago that Buddhism is just chalk full of weirdness you don't usually get to hear about.
>>
File: myth2-11-18.jpg (3 MB, 1451x2301) Image search: [Google]
myth2-11-18.jpg
3 MB, 1451x2301
>>46060269
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dharmapala
>>
>>46054904
Elven warriors typically use long spears or tridents and fight in a fluid dance-like manner in order to appease their gods, unfortunately, this leaves the elves open to attack as the fighting style leaves the elf indefensible at many points.

The Dwarven armies, on the other hand, are known for their shield formations which they use similar to the macedonian phalanx due to the small cave passageways. Due to the stigma related with elves, the dwarves have developed a fighting style involving the ramming of tower shields to push the enemy back and a hammer or axe strike when the enemy loses footing.
Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.