[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Do you like riddles in your games?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 7
File: image.jpg (112 KB, 960x713) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
112 KB, 960x713
Do you like riddles in your games?
>>
File: 76486438.jpg (117 KB, 572x420) Image search: [Google]
76486438.jpg
117 KB, 572x420
>>45999995
>I lied about the wheels
>>
i wish i did, as a GM I've never come up with any good ones, and as a player our GM was so fucking vague and subjective about his riddles we never got them, and even when we did he would change the answer just so that he could be soooo clever and come up with a riddle we couldn't solve.
>>
>>45999995
>Dad Jokes

I actually ran a dungeon where there was a sphinx who asked them knock knock jokes. If they couldn't guess the punchline, the sphinx would eat them. They managed to guess their way through with some intelligence rolls as handicaps.

In another dungeon, there was a stone gate with a riddle on it.

>I stand in front of you.
>Your right is my left.
>Your left is my right.
>What am I?

A door/wall/gate. The gate opened when one of the players said, "You guys go and dick around with the side chambers, I'm staying here to figure out this fucking door."
>>
>>45999995
I always try to let my players solve a riddle or a puzzle without a lot of concequences. Even when I put the answer right in their faces they won't get it. Visual puzzles, however, do wonders!

>>46003243
Holy crap. A group that inadvertently didn't have trouble with a door!
>>
>>46003243
>I stand in front of you.
>Your right is my left.
>Your left is my right.
>What am I?
Sounds like it should be your reflection.
>>
>>46004174
It was inscribed on a door though. That's why it's a door.
>>
File: 1379448669496.png (928 KB, 1158x1180) Image search: [Google]
1379448669496.png
928 KB, 1158x1180
>>45999995
LockNintendoMonsterSea
>>
>>46004859
You TauCoolAidMan my sister?
>>
>>46005133
I think he Crisis Suit Oh Yeah!-ed your sister.

Which I think means the condom broke.
>>
>>46003243
>>46003243
Sounds a bit underwhelming.
If it's in front of you, of course right is left and left is right.
Could be cut down to "I stand in front of you", but then it would be too obvious. The right and left part is just here to obfuscate the answer.
>>
>>45999995
OH SHIT! IT'S THE LOCK-NES-MONSTER! I FINALLY GOT IT!
>>
>>46004859
>>46005318
Robot koolaidman will haunt me forevermore though...
>>
>>46005446
I'm pretty sure he xeno pitchered her.
>>
> unlock Nintendo Satan
k
>>
>>45999995
Oh it's the Loch Ness Monster.

Wait, lemme shitpost

LeaningEnergyNintendoLockSea

that doesn't mean anything
>>
>>46004859
You miniature oh yeah'd her?

Well joke's on you, I NORMAL SIZE oh yeah'd her.
>>
>>46004859
Can't figure this one out.
However, the figure is from Mechwarrior, I just can't remember which mech.
>>
>>46004859
no fucking clue... guys, i think its just to throw us off
>>
>>46007086
Well, the Kool Aid Man is obviously meant to make the last half of it be "laid your sister" (koo[L AID]). So obviously the mech is meant to be something that can combine with the "koo" from "kool aid" to make some descriptor for having laid your sister.
>>
>>46009320
Great, now I have 'types of getting laid' in my google search and no relevant results.

inb4 this riddle sucks thick shit through a funnel.
>>
There are only two kinds of riddles and both suck.

>What can run but can't walk?
>A nose.
>That's wrong.
>What do you mean? It fits the description.
>But it's not the answer I'm thinking of.

>What's 10+9?
>19.
>That's wrong.
>No it isn't. Look, I'll use a calculator and get the same result.
>When I say 10 and 9, I don't literally mean 10 and 9, those are metaphors for completely different numbers.

Prove me wrong. Name-calling is not an argument.
>>
>>46009844
What about the following situation?
>What can run but can't walk?
>A nose.
>That's correct and totally what I was thinking of all along.
>>
>>46009844
Alright. Your argument is flawed, because it references flaws in a person's DMing style, rather than flaws in the riddles themselves. Specifically, an overly rigid approach that misses the point of including riddles in the first place. Riddles are meant to be set-pieces where your characters overcome an obstacle through wit and guile, rather than brute force. They're meant to make your players feel smart. Crafting a moon logic riddle with only one answer is contrary to that goal, as is using a metaphor without giving them a point of reference for the metaphor. Although, now that I think about it, you could use a shibboleth to guard an ancient temple or something, and that would be appropriate, if perhaps you left context clues in paintings on the wall, or in ancient texts, or something like that. But I digress. A better way of approaching riddles that I've used on occasion is to create a suitably mystic sounding riddle and not think up an answer, then declaring the first reasonable answer they come to that fulfills the criteria laid out the correct one. This both eliminates the party's ability to just look the answer up on their phones, and the mounting frustration experienced by everyone at the table as the DM continues to go Nope...nope...nope...
>>
>>46010074
Did Bilbo leave context clues in paintings on the wall saying teeth are horses?
>>
>>46010121
Turns out that book wasn't actually the transcript of one of Tolkien's PnP sessions.
>>
>>46004859
I need to know what this means. It's fucking me up
>>
>>46010196
Well, first of all you need to identify the specific mech in question.
>>
>>46010121
Indeed not, but as another anon has graciously pointed out, that was a book, rather than a table top. Including context clues as a point of reference is a necessary step in giving the party a lead to the answer, if you've chosen to have a single answer to a riddle, or to give them a framework upon which to build their own suppositions, if you've opted for the open-ended approach. This is particularly true of Shibboleths, which rely entirely on culture and context, though that is true of most riddles to a greater or lesser extent.
>>
File: not this shit again.jpg (24 KB, 316x341) Image search: [Google]
not this shit again.jpg
24 KB, 316x341
>>46010121
The "context clues" for that would be the basic understanding that if a riddle asks you what something is, it's obviously not exactly what the riddle said it was, because that would defeat the purpose of a riddle. And also the general ability to draw connections on the basis of evocative imagery related to a familiar subject.
>>
File: 1455549068415.jpg (26 KB, 598x465) Image search: [Google]
1455549068415.jpg
26 KB, 598x465
>>45999995
I lol'd at this picture and I'm not proud at it
>>
>>46004859
for what it's worth, the mech is an onager
>>
>>46010524
Ah so, it'd probably be "I am a jerk who laid your sister".

"Onager-Koolaid" -> "On a gerk oo laid"
>>
>>45999995
No. I hate them. If it isn't some debauched pop culture reference, it is either a poorly written paradox or pure moon logic.
>>
>>46004859
It's "Falcon Punch" damnit. I am convinced.
>>
>>46010524
Could it perhaps be an Awesome?
Not well versed in Mechwarrior, but 'Awesome' would fit the context.
>>
>>46011414
i like that better than the other options
>>
File: Onagers.jpg (48 KB, 640x395) Image search: [Google]
Onagers.jpg
48 KB, 640x395
>>46011414
>It's "Falcon Punch" damnit. I am convinced.
>>46010524
>for what it's worth, the mech is an onager
>>
>>46013006
Okay now I feel like a total fucking moron for not getting it earlier.
>>
>>45999995
Anyone have the screencap of an Astral Sphinx riddle here on /tg/? Something like the riddle ended up being Sheet music.
>>
>>46013061
>>46013006
Non-native english speaker here. Could you explain?
>>
>>45999995
Not really. I'm here to roleplay a character, rather than to solve riddles.
>>
>>46013439
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Donkey
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Punch_(drink)
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Donkey+Punch
>>
>>46013619
Thanks!
>>
>>46013619
Whu?! That's not a riddle, that's a cryptogram or cypher or whatever!
>>
my party look like that so sod the riddle
https://youtu.be/R7jFcV1FZ3Y?t=149
Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.