[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Are there any good Harry Potter setting RPGs out there?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 6
Are there any good Harry Potter setting RPGs out there?
>>
Bump for wizarding and shit
>>
A friend of mine is making an AW hack for it. He's into the playtesting phase of it, but it's going to be a while before it's playable.
>>
It seems like a thing that should exist, yeah?

A typical adult has 40 skill points. If you're playing students, typical students start with 5 points and gain 5 more for each completed school year. You can't apply more than half of your points to a single skill, the rest is free assignment.

Most things are resolved using skill rolls, which is normally 3d6 + skill + situational modifiers. Your GM has to make up the difficulties because this is a quick rules-light system, cut me some slack. I recommend making most difficulties low, because this is Harry Potter, and things actually work most of the time.

Dueling: Roll to hit things with spells. For each point in this, you also know one spell well enough to cast it whenever you feel like it. See http://harrypotter.wikia.com/wiki/List_of_spells

Lore: Roll to know things about magic and history. Also roll to successfully cast a spell you've studied that's not on your dueling list.

Athleticism: Roll to climb things, ride brooms, etc. This is an opposed roll against an opponent's dueling to avoid being hit with a spell.

Courage: Roll to get back up after being hit with a spell (if that's possible), knocked around by a blast, pinned under rubble, whatever. You need at least one point of courage to be a player character.

Leadership and Lying: Roll to convince NPCs to do things or believe things.

Shit that doesn't matter: This a dump stat. Most adults who aren't aurors have lots of points in it. Some of it is just skills that don't matter to player characters, some of it is the skill of being wrapped up in your own hangups that you can't be useful.
>>
>>45988103
Leadership and lying should be an opposed roll against your opponent's leadership and lying.
>>
Witch Girls Adventures
>>
Google Broomstix.

That or post more Emma and I'll consider just posting the PDF.
>>
>>45988103
I feel like in the year 2016, we should have a more comprehensive rulebook for Harry Potter type wizarding adventures.
>>
>>45988452
I just looked it up, it seems quite shitty...
>>
>>45988561

It's free and it works fine. Short of hacking another game or writing your own it's the best you're gonna get until, I dunno, FFG or somebody gets the license.

Which is probably never.
>>
>>45988632
I think /tg/ could homebrew up something more exquisite ourselves.
>>
>>45988688
I think /tg/ already did in >>45988103

Unless your idea of exquisite is word count.
>>
>>45988688

The best way to get /tg/ to do something is to do it yourself and then let /tg/ take credit for it and build on your foundation.
>>
>>45988870
>best way
I thought that was the only way.
>>
>>45988956

Well, get started I guess.

I'd recommend writing something that has Harry Potter as a strong influence rather than HARRY POTTER THE RPG. That way you're actually creating your own shit (which is way more fun) and then you can integrate more diverse inspirations (The Magicians, Little Witch Academia, etc).
>>
>>45988483
College of Wizardry LARP has several hundred pages of autism.

It is weird that nobody has actually capitalized on making a magic school RPG that wasn't a shitty adjunct or magical realm as fuck.
>>
>>45989167
Wait. You do realize what you just typed, right?
>wizarding school not in a magical realm

Are we talking about charlatans or something?
I know, and I kid.
>>
>>45989054
>Well, get started I guess.
Alreaady did: >>45988103

If someone wanted to do actual work, they could make an actual spell list divided into levels. Dueling should use some sort of pyramid, where you have more low level spells than high level ones. Level is also the difficulty for casting spells off a Lore check. Renaming the skills would be good, since Dueling is currently the skill most people use to cast Lumos.

Most people would be tempted to divide spells by the classes they're taught in, but the Harry Potter universe shows no sign of those divisions mattering outside of school. In reality there's charms and difficult spells people cast off camera. Some charms are evil, some difficult off camera spells are technically potions.

You could feat up a list of situational bonuses where your Lore skill is mostly Herbology or something.

There's no particular reason to use a detailed combat system in Harry Potter, since it's mostly a hit/dodge and then the effects are fully inside the spell. You even don't need HP when the most common combat spells are instant wins like Petrificus Totalus, Stupefy, and Avada Kedavra.
>>
>>45986811
I ran a very successful Harry Potter type game, using Ghosts of Albion from Eden studios. It uses the Buffy/ All Flesh Must be Eaten unisystem. The magic creation rules have been imported from Buffy. More importantly they have been updated to be more user friendly.
>>
File: 1451507454540.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
1451507454540.pdf
1 B, 486x500
bump
>>
>>45986811
http://xxexpectopatronum.proboards.com/
>>
I am a little sad there hasn't been more of an effort to make a really well thought out, comprehensive, Wizarding World of HP RPG.
>>
File: image.jpg (65 KB, 600x523) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
65 KB, 600x523
>>45988181
It's probably the closest to a Harry Potter RPG there is, Werid fetish overtones aside.
>>
>>45995753
Please... Enough with the Witch Girls...
>>
File: MIBRPG.jpg (14 KB, 300x225) Image search: [Google]
MIBRPG.jpg
14 KB, 300x225
>>45986811

Only one I can think of
>>
>>45997196
Is that any good?
>>
>>45997743

I barely remember anything about it, desu.
I think it was pretty standard fare - West End Games D6 system, MiB setting. I'm sure it could at least support some fun one-shots or a light campaign.
>>
>>45986811
Witch Girl Adventures.

>>45996340
No.
>>
>>45986811
https://1d4chan.org/wiki/Harry_Potter_and_the_Tabletop_RPG
Over 60,000 downloads, made here on /tg/. Surprised more people haven't heard of it.
>>
File: Harry Potter.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
Harry Potter.pdf
1 B, 486x500
>>45986811
Here is one I found on /tg/ recently. It's unfinished and has mistakes... but it's kind of interesting and workable.
>>
>>45989167
Do you have a link to their rules?
>>
File: ZB2oD.jpg (646 KB, 1935x2591) Image search: [Google]
ZB2oD.jpg
646 KB, 1935x2591
Not using Luna Lovegood as your op op? Really?
>>
>>45989731

If you want to make dueling/magic use more interesting, you could say that every witch and wizard has a natural amount of resistance to magic. Not immunity, but their ability to manipulate magic themselves makes it harder to cast magic on them against their will. Sometimes this will cause a spell to fail outright, other times it causes a spell to simply have a lesser effect or a shorter duration than normal. Defensive magic spells usually just focus and amplify this resistance to provide a reliable defense, but doing so requires concentration and effort so its not the sort of thing that people can keep up all of the time.
>>
>>46008293

This means that casting spells at an opponent directly requires you to overwhelm them or just hit them with more spells than their resistance can handle. It also means that the most effective forms of magic are sneaky, getting past their magic resistance while their guard is down.

Lets say you want to curse a fellow classmate so their shoes stick to the floor, because you are sort of a jerk. Pulling out your wand and just lobbing the spell at them might work, but there is a small but significant chance that their magical resistance will cause the spell to fail and that chance goes up by leaps and bounds if they see it coming and have even basic training.

But if you apply that curse to a scroll or piece of paper and slip it in with their books when they are not looking, set to go off when they pick it up? Then you are sneaking past their magical resistance and gets a 100% effectiveness casting, but you had to find a way to trick them into accepting the cursed item (even unknowingly) in the first place.

Say that the magic school knows about such practices and explicitly does not punish students for using them on each other as long as the curse itself is neither permanent or harmful. Not because it isn't a jerk thing to do, but because when you get out of school if someone curses you they are going to do something far, far worse than sticking your shoes to the floor. The short of shit that can end or ruin lives, like mind domination or holding your heartbeat ransom. So as a member of the magical world, you need to learn the best practices of vigilance, sensing out cursed items, and general self defense now while the consequences of it are still pranks instead of crimes.
>>
>>46008342
I've read the lewd fiction you got this idea from, anon.
Please tell me the name, I've been unable to remember it.
>>
>>46008673

Merlin High: Nothing But Trouble. Its actually got some pretty neat worldbuilding that's worth stealing from
Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.