[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
the worst thing that ever happened to you as a dm?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 5
File: 2f1.jpg (43 KB, 530x464) Image search: [Google]
2f1.jpg
43 KB, 530x464
>be me
>first time dm
>playing d&d 3.5
>4 player party
>they ask "what classes are we allowed to play?"
>be fuking stupid
>answer "any class thats on the dnd wiki homebrew page!"
>next week
>they bring their character sheets
>a gunslinger
>ok
>a swordmage
>ok
>a necromancer
>ok
>a DBZ Warrior
>what
>i say its fuking stupid
>he says that i allowed it
>the party agrees
>rest of the game he spend spamming kamehameha's
>tfw
>>
>>45985555
>be me
>agree to DM for some friends
worst decision I ever made
>>
>invite new player to come play
>spend a few hours the day before with him making a character
>explain the game and how to play
>he's digging it makes a human fighter
>comes the next day and is surprisingly good at roleplay
>start him half a level behind the party
>the guy who knows close to everything about mechanics and battles gets into a disagreement
>end up getting into a fight ingame
>this wizard basically stomps in the fighters face after rolling a few lucky 20's
>refuses to stop once he's past 0
>basically kills the new guy straight up
>i say that he's just unconscious and can be healed
>veteran player yells at me saying "if it wasnt a new guy theyd be dead to"
>refuses to play until this new guys character is dead
>veteran starts packing up saying he is leaving the group if he isnt dead.
>new guy has been sitting there silently for the past 20 minutes as we were arguing.
>im visibly upset at the display that has unfolded in front of the party
>rest of the party quiet and not wanting to push the veteran guy anymore
>new guy ends up leaving after i apologize profusely
>after he leaves i go sit back down
>veteran super smug face looks at me and chuckles
>ask him wtf was that
>"my character doesnt like humans"
>literally the first time this has been brought up after a year of playing
>im dumbfounded and dont play with them again for a month
>>
>be me
>running adventure-puzzle game for about 12 friends online
>half stop posting after the first few days
>a further half drop out after a week
>left with like 3 players left
>one is incompetent
>the other two find something new, leave that entire branch, and then pretend that they are at a dead end

Like, it may be my game design, but still. It's frustrating when players actively ignore things I've put so much emphasis on, and leave literal blank spots on their maps as if the corridor just randomly ends where their sight does. Even more so when people won't even stay active enough to get past the introduction.
>>
>DMing another session for my D&D campaign
>One player is always dead set on killing off his character when he's bored of them
>It absolutely kills any immersion when you have a new guy coming to join the group through a revolving door every other session
>They sail to a port city in pursuit of a villain
>Everyone else is investigating
>He's shopping
>They find the villain, kick his ass, and capture him while he's still shopping
>Everyone tells his character that they're bringing him to the ship and they'll be leaving by tomorrow morning
>He says okay, keeps shopping
>I give up trying to roleplay as any of the shopkeeps after having already done it for three straight hours
>I just give him my list of shops and their inventory
>He keeps telling me what he's buying
>I say the shops have closed after more of this
>Morning comes
>He goes right back to shopping
>Everyone gets on their ship except him
>One of them goes out to the market to tell this guy that they're leaving
>He says it'll just be a moment longer
>A fucking hour goes by, they decide fuck it and leave him
>He gets pissed that they left him behind
>Jumps into the ocean to drown himself because "I had another character in mind anyway."

I was livid. Everyone else was livid. He didn't see what was wrong with what happened. It was awful.
>>
>>45986505
>veteran super smug face looks at me and chuckles
And that, ladies and gentlemen, is one of the few moments in life where it's perfectly fine to punch someone in the face.
>>
>>45986728
How do parents not drown children this stupid like that guy out of pity/sadness?
>>
>>45985555
Moved to Colorado.

Friends come to visit.

They think getting some pot and gaming is a good idea.

I chose a one-shot that requires some lateral thinking. One girl was so far gone, she asked "is this conversation we're having real?". Not in game, I was once again telling her there were goblins in the cave that needed killing.
>>
>Be GMing at my house
>Our group of four total members has been meeting this way since high school
>Nobody managed to move away since we started 8 years ago
>April fool's day we have a session scheduled
>I hear some laughing in the dining room while I'm grabbing the books, sheets, GM shield, and pencils.
>Think nothing of it, session starts as usual with pathfinder.
>After a half-hour one of the guys leaves to go to the bathroom.
>He's taking a while
>Comes back with a giddy look on his face
>Asked what's with the look
>"You'll find out"
>Pause the session to go see what this fucker did in my bathroom.
>I walk upstairs and find some ladybugs hanging out in the hallway, strange.
>I open the bathroom door and I am immediately panicked by the sight of thousands of ladybugs in my bathroom.
>Slam the door and come running downstairs ready to beat the shit out of my friend.
>He'a laughing his ass off and so are the other two.
>Session ends early and I have to call an exterminator to gas the place, friend politely paying the cost since he caused the damn mess.
>>
>>45986505
BUT WHY AREN'T MORE PEOPLE INTERESTED IN MY HOBBY REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Sometimes I'm glad nerds are less likely to procreate.
>>
File: 1457800647396.png (110 KB, 353x341) Image search: [Google]
1457800647396.png
110 KB, 353x341
>>45989676
>implying that isn't hilarious
>>
>>45989676
>infesting someone's home with insects, even if they are ladybugs, is what's considered a prank in this day and age
What a stupid fucking age to live in.
>>
File: shiggy.jpg (5 KB, 176x160) Image search: [Google]
shiggy.jpg
5 KB, 176x160
>>45989801
I know right, where's the cleverness? Where's the trickery? That prank is about as sly as looking a man in the eye as you shit on his front lawn then running away while shouting "Fooled ya!".
>>
File: image.gif (184 KB, 500x733) Image search: [Google]
image.gif
184 KB, 500x733
>>45989888
I suppose that is considered sly today, seeing as they seemed to smug about it, even though I can only imagine that it wasn't worth it in anyway because exterminators can be expensive as fuck
>>
>>45989953
The exterminator actually was pretty cheap compared to what you would normally pay, mainly because I blocked off the air vents and kept it mostly confined to one room.
>>
Where the hell do you get that many ladybugs, anyway?
>>
>>45990002
Oh well ok, and what >>45990055
said, the fuck had the time to collect them just for such a stupid "prank"?
>>
>>45990100
http://www.amazon.com/1500-Live-Ladybugs-Guaranteed-Delivery/dp/B00533KOIC
>>
>>45986505
>don't play with them again for a month
So... you went back to that douche? That Guy enablers are just as bad as That Guys, dude. The fact that you didn't tell him to fuck off when he literally gave you the option of either letting him be a fucking child or letting another player have fun tells me that you should reassess your life.
>>
>>45990138
why did I even ask
>>
>>45990141
This. No game's better than game with a douche.
>>
>>45986505
You should have kicked the veteran out before it exploded (but after it escalated).
>>
>>45990055

iirc you can order them online or something
>>
>>45985555
>be player
>help overthrow previous railroading DM
>friend decided to DM
>invites a horrid number of new people
>11 players
>he buys the ELH
>boosts us from level 15 to 33
>go from playing 1-2 times per week to 1-2 times per month
>arrive at a session
>"hey anon, friendguy doesn't think he's running the game well or frequently enough, so you get to be the DM now"
>ineveraskedforthis.jpg
>>
>>45985555

Introduce my players to splatbooks.
>>
>letting my online friends know I DM
>>
File: mistakes were made.jpg (41 KB, 591x716) Image search: [Google]
mistakes were made.jpg
41 KB, 591x716
>PvP arena
>ranger player says I drew the arena smaller than last time
>I couldn't really tell
>we go on with it anyway
>the fighter wins against the ranger player
>ranger is mad for the rest of the session because of my oversight
>we keep going anyway
>railroaded the last parts of the session

With intentions of revitalizing the campaign after that, I decided to add another player to the party. She has a minimal knowledge of TTRPGs and her schedule is somewhat incompatible with everyone else. Because of this new addition, our play time has been halved. Boy, am I borking this campaign hard.
>>
The worst thing that ever happened was playing d&d. 5 fucking editions and they're all awful, broken systems.
And yet my players don't want to do anything else because they "don't want to learn a new system", ignoring the fact that I'm the one who actually has to learn the rules, they just need to show up.
>>
I let one of my players play his broken combo he found on some minmax forum for d&d4e. Was pretty terrible
>>
>>45991300
Jesus Senpai, I think you're mad at your crew not DnD, relax brah.
>>
>>45991300
Have you tried learning a new system, making a bunch of premade characters, and then just bringing it up directly and dropping them right in the action?

Make a cheatsheet for each of them with the main things they get to roll and whatnot. Aim for a one-shot, open ended enough to allow for a second session.

Focus on bringing up interesting mechanics or whatever it is that attracts you so much of that new system. Show them the advantages of playing a campaign or two with it.
>>
>>45991300
If you DM you pick the system. If the players don't like it fuck them.
>>
>>45985555
Well you did allow anything on the wiki. That one is on you
>>
>>45992004
I've never got this mentality. To us it has always been group decisions or the GM pitching a few systems and we choose between them.

On the other hand, I've always been in nice social circles, so dealing with That Guys has seldom been a problem
>>
>Allow someone to roll a strangler before it was fixed in Pathfinder
>Strangles a dragon that is CR 18 when he is level 8
>Fucking strangles a Daemon.
>Bury the whole party in the desert and move on from this shit
>>
>>45992353
How were Stranglers fixed? They still seemed pretty busted (as in poorly-written) last time I checked.
>>
>Be GM
>Seting up a superhero game for some players of mine who've had some tough shit happen to them in their personal lives.
>Decide to give them some wish fulfillment and set them up with above-average points and the jest encounter is below-average, a gang with cybernetic armor.
>They like it and we have a little fun with it.
>Next encounter Is the gang boss whose armor is comparable to raiden's.
>Some absolutely shit rolls and the glass cannon is rendered unconscious in the second round.
>Rules state he stays unconscious for pretty much the entire battle.
>The battle takes longer than expected, he is sitting there for almost a full hour with a sullen look on his face.
>I'd try and bullshit his way back into the fight but I've always been fair and roll in the open, meaning I'd go back on a lot of things I've said in the past if I fudged something.
>He doesn't come back to the session next week.
>For some reason he isn't answering my messages and pretty much has gone silent.
>Turns out his mother has gotten sicker and she's not expected to make it another month.
>Realize I fucked up.
>She got better
>Playing to this day.
That could have ended worse.
>>
>>45992815
LG
>>
>GMing for years
>running 3 separate games at once
>weekly, fortnightly and montly campaign
>everything is going well
>wife decides we need a divorce
>games on hiatus until I sort it out
>nearly two years go by
>lose my job
>can't afford my ADs
>being to literally live in my parent's basement
>bring games back from hiatus
>it's shit, I've lost the spark and everyone has pretty much forgot who their characters are
>games on indefinate hiatus until I can get my head sorted
>want to die
>can't even get the motivation to do it
>>
>>45993503
>Ever getting married to a woman
Why don't you just chop your own balls off, it's a lot quicker.
>>
>>45993503

I didn't sign up for these feels...
>>
>>45991464
>Have you tried learning a new system, making a bunch of premade characters, and then just bringing it up directly and dropping them right in the action?
Yeah, but since my previous offer to do so got turned down, I decided to go the aggressive route and just drop it on them when they showed up. Like, "Hey guys, I know you want to kill kobolds and shit like we've been doing for the past decade, but tonight, we do something different."
My god, I've never seen anything like it. The looks on their faces, it was like they were betrayed. They then spent the entire session skulking and intentionally trying to ruin the game. Shit like "my character kills himself" or "I don't care because we're never playing this ever again so I choose to do nothing", those kind of things.
Before you call me an enabler, I stopped the game halfway through, told them I was never DMing for them again, and the group fell apart about 3 days later.
>>45991442
D&D is terrible regardless of my group. 5e somehow manages to be worst of all.
Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.