[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Ryuutama
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 3
File: ryuutama_cover.jpg (292 KB, 543x775) Image search: [Google]
ryuutama_cover.jpg
292 KB, 543x775
Hello, im starting to be interested in this game, but until I will dwell into it a little more, I have there some questions...

- It seems, that this game is somehow different from D&D style games... so is it possible to run there some normal campaign? With some intrigue, drama, notable npcs, dungeons, moving from one place to other and back... is it all possible in this game?

- How hard it would be to hack this game with my own custom rules? Maybe more classes, skills, spells, etc.

- Is it possible to create custom weapons with some added effects? Like poison on hit, elemental strike etc.

- Is it possible to somehow emulate final fantasy like campaign? The combat system seems fairly acceptable for it.
>>
I'm pretty sure there are at least four different Final Fantasy honebrews out there, which sounds more like what you want. You could make Ryuutama more combat-orientated, but that'd be missing the point of what Ryuutama IS.
>>
From the little I've heard about it the combat sounds a lot like Final Fantasy (at least up until the newer ones) with front row/back row sort of rules

But is Ryuutama really a game about fighting shit in general? I have a friend with the book, and I've glanced through it, but that wasn't the impression I was getting
>>
>>45968904
I know there are... but there is always something crucial, what I dont like about these systems.

And I dont wanna to hack rules from the start... First, I would like to try it as it is... but we are somehow accustomed to standard scenarios where is usually some bad guy with plans, which need to be somehow defeated, etc... so I wonder if this kind of quest can be done in this game? Or do we need to change our style for it to be able to play?

>>45969015
>But is Ryuutama really a game about fighting shit in general?
I also dont have this impression, but that combat seems somehow interesting, and I guess, that even combat in this game could be fun. Or am I wrong?
>>
>>45967851
>>45969015
Ryuutama is by its nature meant to be a happy comfy adventure stories rpg. This is the frame work to make Hayao Miyazaki rpg, while what op wants to darken it all up, which is like trying to imagine studio glibly being told to make an adaption of game of thrones.

Of course this sort of thing is possible, one of the dmpc archetypes, the black dragon, is built around intrigue and backstabbing, but definitely not recommended for those not familiar with such a light hearted rpg system. Of course doing stories from the perspective as a black dragon in this system are certainly possible and I would compare a really good execution as being the rpg version of something like a good chunk of avatar Korra while most of the sessions for the first avatar would have been best told through a green or blue dragon. After all how often does a good chunk of Korra after the first season involve her feeling deeply betrayed by someone she trusted like dad or tenzen as a core part of that particular season's plot advancing. And of course the tpsychological trauma Korra deals with really seals the deal for a black dragon being involved.
>>
What is the precise logic behind Magic Types receiving higher-level abilities as they gain levels, while Attack Types and Technical Types receive no scaling for their abilities?

Magic Types are more able to directly influence the story as they gain levels and attain abilities like "literally grant wishes" and "long-distance overland flight for the entire party in a game centered around the travails of travel" at level 7. This is in addition to the new combat options they receive. It is far from 3.PF-style "tier 1 wizards vs. tier 5 fighters," but it is still flagrantly caster-biased by later levels.

I would think that Attack Types and Technical Types should receive minor upgrades at levels 2, 3, 5, 6, 8, 9, and 10 and major upgrades at levels 4 and 7 to match the higher-level progression of Magic Types. What do you think those could be?

"But this game is about comfy slice-of-life travel, so it is not a problem!" you might say. In that case, how exactly would Attack Types and Technical Types receiving higher-level abilities clash with the comfiness?
>>
>>45967851
Kickstarter backer here, lemme see if I can help.

>It seems, that this game is somehow different from D&D style games... so is it possible to run there some normal campaign? With some intrigue, drama, notable npcs, dungeons, moving from one place to other and back... is it all possible in this game?

To a certain extent. You can do all of those things if you want to, but since Ryutama isn't very focused on combat it won't be as indepth as a DnD dungeron run.

>How hard it would be to hack this game with my own custom rules? Maybe more classes, skills, spells, etc.

New classes would be a little bit tricky, but you could come up with new skills and spells pretty easily.

>Is it possible to create custom weapons with some added effects? Like poison on hit, elemental strike etc.

Yup, although again the combat system is simplistic.

>Is it possible to somehow emulate final fantasy like campaign? The combat system seems fairly acceptable for it.

Not really. You could emulate the story, for sure, but the gamplay experiance would come off very different than FF.

Ryuutama is not a replacement for DnD, and should not be treated as one. It has a large focus on non-combat activities, the mechanics of travelling from place to place, and NPC interaction. Playing it feels more like an RPG version of The Oregon Trail than and PnP ersion of FF.
>>
>>45970447
Thank you for your answer. I guess, I will give it a try then.
>>
>Magic Types are more able to directly influence the story as they gain levels and attain abilities like "literally grant wishes" and "long-distance overland flight for the entire party in a game centered around the travails of travel" at level 7. This is in addition to the new combat options they receive. It is far from 3.PF-style "tier 1 wizards vs. tier 5 fighters," but it is still flagrantly caster-biased by later levels.

I am starting to like this game
>>
>>45969641
>Ryuutama is by its nature meant to be a happy comfy adventure stories rpg. This is the frame work to make Hayao Miyazaki rpg, while what op wants to darken it all up, which is like trying to imagine studio glibly being told to make an adaption of game of thrones.

I think you're selling i a bit short. Just like Miyazaki movies can have a darker side too, this game, without leaving its comfy zone, can have some pretty dark undertones. After all, one of the four dragon, the black one, loves tragedies and can have powers like "One NPC of your choice will die, cannot be prevented by the players".
>>
File: OriginalFinalFantasy.gif (15 KB, 500x446) Image search: [Google]
OriginalFinalFantasy.gif
15 KB, 500x446
>>45967851
>Is it possible to somehow emulate final fantasy like campaign?
Depending on /which/ final fantasy you were referring to, you could use OD&D or AD&D.
>>
>>45969993
I agree with you, and after a first campaign (where all characters were mages of different season, which worked nicely too) I ended up giving the other types perks.

Combat get fight techniques, dependant on the weapon. Things like spear hitting less accurately the back row, or negating some protection with axes. Nothing exciting out of combat, but at least it's something. They get a new tech every couple levels.
As for technical types, they gain one new class feature at levels 1, 4 and 7.
>>
>>45967851
-I've actually seen someone run Lost Mines of Phandelver using the Ryuutama system (pretty well, if I may editorialize), so it can be done.

-It wouldn't be all that hard to hack. It's a very rules-light system, and others have hacked it before. I've seen a Star Wars conversion, a new battlemap system featuring more complex positioning, and several new classes (that became official classes when the game's creator took a look at them). If your group is down with more crunch, there is more crunch available.

-Custom weapons seems completely doable, but I would caution against that a bit. It might lead to inflated numbers in a game that tries to avoid them. That said, if you really want to try it, in like say a Monster Hunter type scenario, I could see that going over well.

-This game seems built from the ground up for a Crystal Chronicles game. It's uncanny how well this works. I've also seen a game run Dragon Quest style, which I think is also spot on for tone.

>>45969993

Dude, I suggested some stuff you could do to fix it if it bothers you in the other thread. Homebrew away. Don't just complain; be the change you want to see. Just don't be angry that it doesn't bother others.
>>
File: 470610090_94HW6-1050x10000.jpg (246 KB, 1050x526) Image search: [Google]
470610090_94HW6-1050x10000.jpg
246 KB, 1050x526
Here y'all go.

https://mega.nz/#F!6F030B7a!6KeqW00R4Syepvdy1oT8wA
AP
https://mega.nz/#F!zdNGUKpb!Xm8_P4VMVFLQa3qsT_dV8g
PDF

https://d66roc.wordpress.com/2011/10/15/ryuutama-new-rules-for-roles/
>>
>>45969993
https://d66roc.wordpress.com/2011/10/15/ryuutama-new-rules-for-roles/

Did you check and see if these gave you any ideas?
>>
>>45967851
Bump
>>
>>45979429
>that AP
How can I get in contact with that person?
>>
>>45979070
Could you post these house rules somewhere?

>>45979433
Those are for roles, not types.
>>
>>45969381
>I also dont have this impression, but that combat seems somehow interesting, and I guess, that even combat in this game could be fun. Or am I wrong?
Combat is pretty interesting, but CRAZY lethal if you force the issue. Not to mention the fact that most of its crunch is in travelling, meaning even a single bad roll just sort of assfucks you when trying to fight.

discord.me/jttrpg
By the way, feel free to drop by this place. It's got a lot of people interested in Ryuutama in it.
>>
>>45975828
>Depending on /which/ final fantasy you were referring to
I was refering to Final Fantasy X, with its slot system on equipment, and maybe sphere grid system for learning spells, combat abilities or any other perks. (but that would be too complicated I guess)

That idea about weapon slot system came up, when I first seen character sheet for Ryuutama, cause there is that part "Effect/Etc." so, I thought about these poison/firestrike etc effects.

>OD&D or AD&D
No, we really dont like these d20 systems... I just mentioned D&D in OP cause its the most popular... Our current system is Anima Beyond Fantasy, but from the last session, Im starting to hate that system, its just unnecessarily complicated.

>>45982592
Yes, Im already there as Disorder, thank you for invite.
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.