[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey /TG/, I'd like to start playing Warhammer 40k. Can I
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 3
File: 1457492275896.jpg (61 KB, 500x646) Image search: [Google]
1457492275896.jpg
61 KB, 500x646
Hey /TG/, I'd like to start playing Warhammer 40k.
Can I have a brief explanation of each of the factions strategy?
I've played strategy games before (Axis and Allies, Risk, Chess) so I'm not completely inexperienced.
>>
>>45951727
Alright, so you've got Space Marines. They're the protagonists of the setting, so it's only fair that they have the best units, rules, and backstory. You'll love them. They're HFY with a bit of Dune.

After them you have the Imperial Guard, which are the bootlickers that support the Marines. They have tanks, so they're okay.

Moving outside of Humanity you have Chaos, which, true to its name, is mostly RNG units, and orks. Which are mostly grey.

The good aliens are the Eldar and the Tau. The Tau are known for being close combat samurai and ninjas, which is probably even cooler then the Mariners. While the Eldar are Space Elves, which why they have such big tits.

The evil aliens are the Tyranids and the Necrons. The Tyranids are mindless bugs, so there's no real strategy to them, while the Necrons are evil robots that enjoy eating their enemies souls to power their shard batteries. So you'll want to field as many of their units as possible.

That's all of the factions, I'm pretty sure.
>>
>Space Marines: Smaller amounts of stronger dudes
>Imperial Guard: Very large amounts of weak dudes and/or Tanks
>Grey Knights: Even smaller amounts of even stronger dudes, compared to SM
>Sisters of Battle: a weaker version of the Space Marines
>Tau: powerful at range, weak in melee
>Orks: lots of cheap dudes that fire many inaccurate shots
>Tyranids: many very weak units backed up with strong giant monsters
>Eldar: Generally excel in every area currently
>Necrons: Tough to kill, but slow
>Chaos Space Marines: a weaker version of Space Marines
>>
I was thinking about Tau, with their strong range
>>
>>45951727
>Space Marines: Jacks of all trades
>Imperial Guard: Mass infantry with tanks
>Tau: Mobility and Ranged shooting
>Eldar: Psychically powerful, with a variety specialized units
>Dark Eldar: Fast and fragile
>Orks: Mass infanty with walkers
>Chaos Space Marines: Space Marines with less toys and melee leanings
>Tyranids: Mass infanty with monstrous creatures
>Necrons: Slow but Durable
>>
>>45951892
What about the price range?
I'm not a rich fag, so a low-medium price range
>>
>>45952010
Armies with more units are more expensive, so not Orks, Tyrandids, or Imperial Guard.
>>
File: [hiss].jpg (38 KB, 500x374) Image search: [Google]
[hiss].jpg
38 KB, 500x374
>>45951875

You stop that.
>>
I'm probably gonna go with Tau, or Space Marines as a secondary
>>
>>45952120
I'd recommend reading up on some of the fluff to see which one you like best, then get a Start Collecting! box for whichever one you end up choosing.

As for staying cheap, the best way to do that is to play smaller games. Playing at 1000 points or less tends to be affordable. Start Collecing boxes are a usually good value, even better if you can find them at a discount.
>>
>>45952164
I read the fluff, For The Greater Weeabos!
>>
>>45952323

Found a Codex and everything? There's PDFs floating around if you can find them.

My advice for Tau might be dated, since it's been a while since I looked back at that faction (looking to get rid of my Tau stuff even). If I recall correctly they need themselves Markerlights to get the most use out of their army. Pathfinders without special weapons come loaded with them, and a blob or Marker Drones can prove effective with them, especially if you take a spare suit commander with a Drone Controller and plot him in the middle to get them higher base BS. Forgeworld Tetras can also work out very well, but they've hit a nerf, they're speedy and fairly cheap but pump out less Markerlights than a full Pathfinder team and are glass fragile even with their speedy evasiveness.
>>
>>45952010
Honestly when it comes to Warhammer 40K you're going to have to pay a lot of money. There's just no getting around it unless you're unbelievably lucky and find an entire Army at a flea market for less than $100. That did happen to me just last weekend but I already had two armies that I've spent well over $600 into over the past year-and-a-half. Between paint supplies dice books terrain and the models themselves you looking to spend about $500 before you can start playing. Most people aren't going to really care whether or not your models are painted but it would weird to me none of my models were made in
>>
>>45952840
And I still have a long way to go because I found a really good deal just to get how much I have for how much I've spent.
>>
The best thing you can do is to buy one of the "start collecting" packs for whatever Army you want to build. Because you get an HQ, or army leader. A troop , and an additional unit. From there it wouldn't be hard to just add a couple more units to be able to have something playable. And at $85 it's a good value
>>
>>45951727
go to 1d4chan and look at the tactics for each faction. It also has recommendations for starting an army cheaply
>>
>nobody remembers the dark eldar.
>>
>>45955185
No sane person would take dark eldar as their first army
>>
>>45955300
I did

Picked them for aesthetics before I knew verIy much about the game. I only had one friend who played and he played Tau and Orks and was a horrible player. I beat him all the time

Got another friend into it and he decided to play Space Wolves and I hated him for it.
>>
I have a question sorta similar to OP, but if I cant afford to get the kits and everything then which game would be best to get on steam?
>>
>>45952010
Probably the cheapest is going to be a Space Marine variant for the fact that you can have a solid army with relatively few troops. Grey Knights traditionally can field pretty small armies that are still dangerous.
I think Eldar might be able to pull it off too, especially with certain units, but I'm not positive.
Anyway, money wise Space Marines usually have some decent deals out there, plus everyone plays 'em so there's always ebay.
>>
File: necron.jpg (36 KB, 600x480) Image search: [Google]
necron.jpg
36 KB, 600x480
>>45951979
I miss the old necrons.
>>
>>45952010
Maybe try Gray Knights?

Honestly this is not a cheap game regardless of how you go. I buy mostly Chinese knockoffs and even with the 50% discount the price adds up pretty fast for an entire army.
>>
>>45957409
It's not really changed. They're still OP as fuck. Bastard 3+ save and 5+ reanimation.
>>
>>45951727
The strategy for every army is pretty much the same.
Go first, remove units with High Str/High Pen shooting, repeat until you are out of ranged units.
WH40k is pretty fucking stupid once you hit the table. The game is mostly won while listbuilding, then while setting up and actually playing only has a slight effect on wether or not you win.
>>
>>45955772
The first dawn of War Game and its expansions. They're actually on sale right now for about $3 apiece. Also Space Marine in it of itself is good if a little generic. The gameplay is unbelievably familiar but the setting makes it enjoyable.
Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.