[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Have you tried notD&D?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 103
Thread images: 8
File: 345243524.jpg (52 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
345243524.jpg
52 KB, 600x600
Lets talk about non-d20 systems and other mechanically unique trpgs. If there are systems I don't include in my first few posts that you wanna talk about please write a few sentences on what the basic mechanics of the system are and what it tries to accomplish through play. My hope is to help expand what systems players, new and old, are comfortable trying.
>>
>>45721596
Have you tried D&D?
>>
>>45721596

System list:
- Two player
>Murderous Ghosts - Mixture of CYOA and push your luck mechanics. One person plays a ghost trying to kill the other player. Play is aimed at making PC's feel equal parts terrible people and SPOOKED

>S/lay w/me – Play is organized in a series of turns where pushing the narrative forward is rewarded mechanically. Players take turns sharing the narrative between the HERO the LOVER and the MONSTER. Play is aimed at making players feel torn between love and the hero’s journey. Players switch GM responsibility for future adventures.

-Three player
>a place to fuck – Mechanics are loosely organized to encourage the third wheel player organically creating obstacles between the other two players. 1 player is the obstacle between a gay romance and the other two are trying to fuck. Play rotates every scene so players are encouraged to amp up the frustrations in the PC’s lives.

>The Wandering Vagrant – Mechanics are a mixture between poker, bluffing, and making narrative demands. Players are divided as THE DEVIL, THE MAN(god), and THE VAGRANT all players are vying for the soul of a wandering vagrant in a halfway town. Play is aimed at letting players explore the forces of individualism (vagrant), disruption (devil), and conformity (god).
>>
>>45721620

-Three to Five
>Midsummer Nights – Mechanics are performance judging and narrative demands. 1 Player is a human trying to win the grace of one of the other player’s fairy characters through structured goading. Players who are not in each scene judge the conversation between players and may punish them with narrative demands for being dull or not playing aggressively. Play is aimed at pushing characters into demands that they would rather weasel out of.

>Polaris (4+ players) – Mechanics are negotiation and narrative demands. All players each play difference narrative forces 1 purity, 1 degeneracy, 2 judges in a knights of the round table setting. Players each rotate between the different forces for each scene with purity and degeneracy resolving conflicts through a “one up” style mechanic (on player makes a statement the other adds unpleasant consequences and then haggling happens). The mood is aimed at a inevitable tragedy that will either kill the knights or corrupt them into a jaded existence.

>Shock!: social science fiction – Mechanics are roll over/under and mutual world creation. Players each champion a IRL social concern then add a science fiction element (cloning, mind transfer, teleportation) and world together to build the social systems that support it each session. Players are paired as Protagonists and Antagonists between each other and work toward answering questions about their characters through play. The game is both character drama and world building each session.
>>
>>45721628
>Sorcerer – Mechanics are competing dice pools, mutual world building elements, and a meta-currency based on the PC’s humanity. Players are sorcerers who have reality bending demons under their control but must continually choose between what they want and how far they are willing to go to get it. Play aims at creating deeply personal characters whose actions will effect themselves socially and morally. Demons are worth an additional mention because they each have a unique DESIRE and NEED that inject tension into play overtime.

>A Quiet Year – Mechanics are mutual world building, light drawing, and card drawing. Players create a small community in the face of a disaster and track how things change a grow over a year. Cards are drawn from a deck presenting a new circumstance and players roleplay and illustrate how the community is affected.

>The Burning Wheel – Mechanics are dice pools and a meta-currency tracking how your character’s goals and instincts effect them. Players create characters with emphasis on what they want out of life and how their upbringing has instilled life habits. A notable deviation on how conflicts are handled is that each scene PC’s can only roll once for an action leaving them to deal with the success or failure. The game employs separate subsystems concerning fighting and debating which gives more player choice then just simply rolling. The fantasy races in the game are mechanically quite different to the point of almost incompatible together as PC’s.

>>45721615
Yeah 3.5 is what got me into the hobby. After playing that for a couple years I dropped out for a long time until I discovered that there was other stuff out there.
>>
>>45721660
>Inspecters – Dice pools, shared narrative, and business building. PC’s take the roles of different organization heads (VP, CEO, etc.) in a paranormal extermination franchise. Players are encouraged to take narrative responsibility for describing successes and failures. The success of the business leads to mechanical character progression with the use of shared “Franchise Dice”. The game aims to make players comfortable in greater degrees of narrative control then is traditionally assumed in trpg’s.

>Hillfolk – Meta-currency and shared narrative. Game aims to facilitate familial ties in an Iron Age tribe/family of brigands that lives on the societal fringes. Characters are defined by who they envy in the family and what two competing urges define them (e.g., Family Leader or Tyrant). Each session has a chosen theme and players take turns framing scenes to show their characters exemplifying or rejecting that theme.

>Fiasco – Shared narrative and audience chosen success/failure. Players begin by building a web of untenable arrangements and through play build on them to create a social disaster which usually leaves the PC’s worse off. Players have the choice of setting a scene but not resolving it or allowing the other players to set the scene but they resolve it. The aim of play is to create terrible people and watch them flounder dramatically.
>>
>>45721712
>Apocalypse World – Mechanics are shared narrative, narrative demands, mutual world building, and dice rolling. Players (excluding the GM) play survivors in a just slightly post – post apocalyptic world with an ever present psychic maelstrom. PC’s have strictly segregated “classes” each with largely narrative effecting abilities. Moves are designed to never make any task simply X do Y with failure and partial success presenting hard decisions and compromise. Play aims to create situations where the GM does not know what is going to happen next (encouraged by the fact that only PC’s ever role dice).

If people have experience with the following systems please post a brief description of the mechanics so I can add it to future threads:
Mutants and Masterminds
FATE core
GURPS
Savage Worlds
>>
>>45721596
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ERc0-mp75oY
>>
dude, dude no. stop. you have no idea, you just have zero idea just how many games other than D&D there are, just take a glancing look at 1d4chan or ANY rpg listing. There's no point to making your little list here on 4chan, hell, just go to any PDF sharethread and youll have DOZENS of games new and unheard of. All I'm saying is, there's no point to making a list like this one because you can make HUNDREDS of lists like these, there's so many games that aren't D&D. Spare yourself the trouble.
>>
>>45721775
Have you heard of this crazy game called tic-tac-toe? It's absolutely mental
>>
>>45721660
>>Sorcerer – Mechanics are competing dice pools, mutual world building elements, and a meta-currency based on the PC’s humanity. Players are sorcerers who have reality bending demons under their control but must continually choose between what they want and how far they are willing to go to get it. Play aims at creating deeply personal characters whose actions will effect themselves socially and morally. Demons are worth an additional mention because they each have a unique DESIRE and NEED that inject tension into play overtime.
>Game is just called sorcerer
See this shit? This is completely idiotic in the internet age.
>>
>>45721775

bunch of the games that op listed haven't been in share threads, and people haven't heard of them.

You are actually asking someone to stop talking about new things because everyone has already heard of them or will look for them on their own. This is not the case. Many people learn about games through word of mouth.
>>
>>45721596
>notD&D
That means like DnD but not the actual thing itself. It's usually use in a "filing off the serial number" sense when stealing or alluding to creative work of others.

But judging from your list you take it to mean anything but DnD. This is a semantic fallacy.
>>
File: Gadget-Guides-Cover.jpg (3 MB, 4805x6359) Image search: [Google]
Gadget-Guides-Cover.jpg
3 MB, 4805x6359
>>45721750

While I love Mutants and masterminds, it's still a d20 system and not a unique one
>>
>>45721775
>STOP BEING INFORMATIVE

Quality post anon
>>
>Good advice from the other day...

One common way of looking at games is through GNS theory. It's horribly flawed and can only ever be a rough estimate, but it allows you to discuss games at least on a subjective level. Read up on it if you've never heard of it.

For a simulationist approach try BRP. It's all d% skill checks which resolve reasonably fast. This system leaves everything up to the GM, there's no balancing or meta rules. It just tracks probabilities and only if the GM thinks that helps the story.

For a narrativist focus try Fate. Core is pretty much a game building mechanic, FAE is a great introduction. There's countless variants and settings, but never mind that for now. Fate rules are entirely concerned with the story and the characters, not with physics or lists and tables. The central mechanism is called Aspect and can be any descriptive phrase which is leveraged to progress the story in one way or the other. But it's not a game to freeform in, everything should go through the simple rules.

For gamist generic roleplaying your best bet is ORE. It's a fun core mechanism that balances very easily in a dice pool. The resolution is incredibly fast yet offers more detail than many complicated games. You're not just free to adapt any genre, the mechanics can include anything you want to assign dice to. There are ORE games where stats are moral dimensions, where friendships give you dice, where magic always connects to a skill, or even where part of your character is run by your table neighbor. It's VERY flexible.
>>
I've greatly enjoyed the Iron Kingdoms system. Set in the same setting as WarmaHordes, it uses a similar 2d6 mechanic and a robust character creation system to enable many different playstyles.
>>
>>45721843

I mean it's a point buy simplified d20 but I think it's worth mentioning for being the bet designed supers system out there.

>>45721833
>notdnd

It's being said that way because the OP is addressing the way that pathfinder/dnd have utterly dominated the market historically. This dominance is so apparent that all rpgs that aren't DnD are more known for being "notDnD" than they are for being their own thing. It's an unavoidable truth.
>>
>>45721830
Not him but this thread is pointless in the current /tg/ climate.

Fa/tg/its already know that other systems exist and where to find them. Hell, it will not cut down on them making threads when they find one of these new games. Just straight up wasted space.
>>
>>45721808
To be fair the game was made in the late 80's but I completely agree that the name has made finding stuff about it difficult.
>>
>>45721775

But the whole point is that while there are hundreds of rpgs that aren't dnd, individually they don't make up a lot of the market and as a result average gamers wont know about them. So were in this thread to learn about them.

so fuck off.
>>
>>45721775
My aim isn't comprehensive. I have been to 1d4chan, rpg.net, pdfshare, ...etc. I only share shit I think is interesting.
>>
>>45721906
>To be fair the game was made in the late 80's but I completely agree that the name has made finding stuff about it difficult.
That's still only slightly less terrible. I'm probably being unreasonable but finding new games explained well is LIKE PULLING FUCKING TEETH HOLY FUCK THIS HOBBY IS STILL MORE LIKE A BIG-ASS ASTEROID FIELD COLONY TWO GENERATIONS AFTER ITS INVENTION AND RPG.net/SIMILAR PLACES ARE COMPLETELY OVERRUN WITH TAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRDSS /yes I mad brah
>>
>>45721896

I'm here every day, and make a significant quantity of the shares in pdf threads. Half the shit in the first 3 posts isn't there.

Are you actually worried about this thread pushing off another primarch thread, one of the 40k generals of which there are two currently, bait about sjws, magical realm, girlwatdo, etc?

Did you actually know about the mechanics or even the existence of all the games op listed?
>>
>>45721895
>This dominance is so apparent that all rpgs that aren't DnD are more known for being "notDnD" than they are for being their own thing.
You're missing the point entirely.

"notDnD" =/= "not DnD". The concatenation of "not" to a word carries an entirely different meaning than simply using "not" normally.

Pathfinder is notDnD, as L5R is set in notJapan and MtG's Theros is notGreece. FATE, Savage Worlds, everything in OP's greentext list? Those are Not DnD. Totally different meaning.

TL;DR, learn how words are used before you use them.
>>
>>45721830
Good point anon. Next thread I will make a mega for the stuff I have.

>>45721896
I have had to spend a fair amount of time sifting through 4plebs to find half the systems I mentioned.
>>
>>45721949
Couldn't have put it better. Nicer maybe, but why bother?
>>
>>45721949
>>45721895
>>45721833
>a typo leads to extensive argument

Is this what writing a religious text feels like?

>>45721843
Thanks for the heads up I will nix it in the next thread.
>>
>>45721895
>pathfinder/dnd have utterly dominated the market historically
In America perhaps.
>>
>>45722018
Serious question has anything come close to DnD commercially in Europe/Asia?
>>
>>45722068
In Sweden at least, BRP and BRP-inspired systems have been far more popular than D&D.
>>
>pretentious hipster storygames and why those who don't play them are plebs: the thread

I'd take D&D any day of the week if the alternative was gaming with you.
>>
>>45721858
For GNS I solidly fall in the N but FATE has never sold me. As both a player and a GM it seems incredibly dull. I was at first intrigued by the meta-currency but from my reading it seems like it has a very little weight on directly effecting the narrative.

On the pros side character creation was a bit of a mind fuck (in a good way) the first time I went through it.
>>
I used to play a lot of Returners, it's a Final Fantasy RPG using a d% system for skills and combat.

Pretty fleshed out for a fan made game too.
>>
>>45722068
In Germany DSA (The Dark Eye) is very popular with groups that started playing last Century. DnD is known by non gamers from jokes on TV, but actual gamers are usually more familiar with WoD. CoC is big. And many still play Shadowrun. GW has been pushing into the market hard and has opened franchises which create their own scene. Games like Midgard have their own circles and are not going away any time soon.

Gaming has a tradition here. It's not so much about releases and stores, most stores that sell RPGs primarily sell something else like comics. It's about conventions and events. There's countless groups of friends that play, and you meet them once a year. Maybe twice if you go to Essen for Spielemesse. But there's always people you can send a mail to when looking for a group, players, or a publication. Not to mention the LARP scene...
>>
>>45722127
Where in the thread opener and following posts do I say anything negative about DnD?

>if there aren't classes, dragons, and at least 30+ books of supplements its for hipsters RREEEEEEEEEEEEE
Stay autism anon
>>
>>45722127

Cool? Lots of people don't want to play D&D so I guess that works out. Its almost like you don't have to play with people you don't want to.
>>
>>45721620
The Wandering Vagrant sounds dope, but I cant find any rules online, all that comes up is a Risk of Rain boss. Might be because I'm retarded. You got a link or something?
>>
>>45722202
Stay posted anon I will get a mega together later today in this thread or a following one.
>>
>>45721596
i once ran a mutants and masterminds game with friends before. one of the players had super regeneration, and he got in a fight with some other guy with super regeneration (a villain). they fought for round after round, throwing cars at eachother, throwing eachother through buildings, and after a minute or two of fighting, neither was worse for the wear, and they both just decided that fighting would be useless and left.
>>
>>45722217
Thanks anon. I love the more abstract/not dice based games
>>
>>45721750
>Savage Worlds
Die-size based, characters' skills and attributes are ranked from d4 to d12. Initiative system uses a random card draw that happens every turn (which I don't much like). Can get swingy as almost all rolls explode, including damage in combat situations. Still, it can be adapted to a lot of settings if you don't mind its quirks. If you buy into GNS or whatever it's pretty gamist.

It's great for a slightly more traditional game that doesn't have the flaws of D&D (SW is classless, there's a wound level system instead of everyone being sacks of hit points, etc). Doesn't do varying power levels well, and people say it's a bit light outside of combat but I don't see that.

>>45722127
As much of a faggot as that guy is I can't condone shit like "a place to fuck" or that queerpocalypse thing by the same writer
>>
>>45721596
lol id actually run a HERO system game this summer and even let you play in it OP but im sure youd fuck it up by not making the maid sufficiently anime
>>
>>45722217

I would really appreciate that too.

I've got Dogs In The Vineyard while we're talking about alternative mechanics. Player's stats and traits are represented by dice size, the larger and more numerous the dice the stronger. The setting is slightly weird west with expanding religious troubleshooters travelling from town to town. Conflicts are resolved by tying in narration, rolling the associated dice and trying to match/see the roll. Winning the pot essentially gives narrative control of the event. Stakes can be raised by escalating conflicts and adding more dice but the consequences of failure become more pronounced.
>>
>>45722253
Thanks for the write-up anon I will add it to the list for future threads.

I know the game is 100% SJW but it's three player round robin style scene setting is interesting to me. Also I imagine that playing into sjw tropes with melodrama would make for a great comedy session.
>>
>>45722293
No sweat. I got into SW ages ago when a friend showed it me, and I could go on for days about it. I typically houserule the initiative to use a d12 roll like the first edition had as an option, and have Fighting be either an Agility or Strength skill (skills are linked to attributes which determine how easy they are to increase with experience, in modern-era games Agility is pretty much the only stat an action guy needs to have high)
>>
>>45721596
YOU WANT THE GOOD STUFF?
WEEPING ORK HAS THE GOOD STUFF

TRY SWORD WORLD 2.0 MY SIR,
NOWHERE ELSE YOU PLAY BIPEDAL BUNNY SLUT
AND AT THESE PRICES
WEEPING ORK WEEP

COME DOWN TO WEEPING ORK SHOP
AND MAKE ORK WEEP WITH LOW PRICES
WEEPING ORK THAT WEEPS
BEFORE ITS TOO LATE AND ALL WAAAGHED OUT

WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGH
>>
>>45722362
I like SW and also like to play around with the stats a bit. For modern games, I just fuse body and strength.
>>
File: 13454564.png (289 KB, 512x361) Image search: [Google]
13454564.png
289 KB, 512x361
>>45722477
What you on about git?
>>
>>45721750
>FATE core
Seemingly barebones roleplay game using "proprietary" dice that are really just d6's. Can be found in it's entirety online for free. Most dice rolls are 4d6, which is used to determine modifiers to the player's static skill scores. System works for pretty much anything but itself is very shy of content, leaning heavily on 3rd party material (which there is plenty of) and homebrew games. The mechanics of the game are cleverly laid out to re-enforce good roleplay and in-character actions, and the function of "Aspects" subverts the need to give numerical stats or attributes to almost anything.

Good for experienced players/GMs who want to run some homebrew that their normal system hampers, or for generally competent roleplayers that prefer the actual roleplay side of things to skirmish games.

Oddly enough, FATE core is probably the easiest game to teach newcomers, and it seems (at least in my experience) the only hangups or confusion players have had with it stem directly from their understanding of roleplay from a d20 style game.
>>
File: FAE sheets 6in1.png (581 KB, 2685x2685) Image search: [Google]
FAE sheets 6in1.png
581 KB, 2685x2685
>>45723332
>FATE core is probably the easiest game to teach newcomers
I have hosted FAE at conventions and have to agree with this. The only things players have to get is how to compel aspects against their character for a Fate point, and how to create an advantage as an action for a situational aspect. It's really simple.

I also agree that veterans of other games are much more inclined to have problems with understanding the system than newbs do. It takes a lot of things that players of other games are being used to having forced upon them by the rules or by the GM and gives them the responsibility over those. This challenges murderhobos considerably.

The dice thing is a low shot. Yes, you only ever roll 4dF, which is 4d6 with -,-,0,0,+,+ sides. But this is just the random number generator. It isn't your action or attack. That is determined by the aspects you attach using the economy of actions and Fate points as well as elements of the story.

So the rules are very narrative, but also very crunchy in that they matter all the time. It's not a freeform game like BRP can be, or how many people have taken to playing d20 variants. Fate mechanics are simple and easy to learn, but sometimes not easy to keep in play for everything a character does, be it selling off loot, looking to buy a new blade, or seeking a bed for the night. You can skip it and say it happened, but you can't play it out without the rules. That breaks Fate. The characters will lack opportunity to have compels against them and thus will be out of Fate points when push comes to shove. It will also make the story less interesting. You always need stakes, even if they're trivial.
/rant
>>
>>45721596
I've been wanting to try this for ages:
http://www.firehawkgames.com/novus-rpg/table-of-contents
Still haven't decided on buying PDFs because "we aready know D&D/PF, why should we learn another system?".
What's weird is that apparently this didn't get that much attention after its public beta ended. Not sure why.
Anyone in here has any insight?
>>
>>45723783
>Still haven't decided on buying PDFs because "we aready know D&D/PF, why should we learn another system?".

I have no preexisting knowledge of Novus but with the no art pdf only $2 I don't see why you shouldn't at least try a one-shot using those rules with your group. Just make the character sheets ahead of time and let everyone know that this is a test run so everyone should tryout all the mechanics so they can to get a feel for it.

In my experience the best way to get people excited in new systems is to show them how rules make systems feel waaayyy different even if they are covered in the same standard fantasy trappings.
>>
>>45725593
Gotcha, I was thinking about diving headfirst in the 50$-ish collection of deluxe rulebook+additional rules.
I feel very stupid now, I didn't even think about a short test run with base rules only.
Thank you, elegan/tg/entleman
>>
>>45725794
Let us know how your session goes anon. I have never heard of "imploding dice" so it sounds interesting.
>>
>>45721620
Do you have a link or pdf for Murderous Ghosts?
>>
File: mg_playerbook.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
mg_playerbook.pdf
1 B, 486x500
>>45727193

found the player book, looking for the mg book
>>
>>45721596
I played Deadlands once, that was fun.

Weird West setting where die, playing cards, and poker chips are all used to determine actions. Bit confusing, but I appreciated the feel it was going for. And playing a mad steampunk scientist was fun as hell.
>>
>>>>45721892
I never got a chance to play it because I moved, but I liked the idea that the tabletop game acted as a monster
>>
>>45728797
Many thanks, anon.
>>
>>45728974
Post was cut off. The tabletop game acts as a monster manual. I also like the way that Critical hits work. It is 2d6 or 3d6 and doubles are a critical but the double has to be sufficient to hit.
>>
I absolutely adore FFG's Star Wars system. It's so narrative and fun. I can't stand mechanics that are just abstractions.
>>
>>45721596
Hey OP if you're still around, how's the thread coming along? Some of these are being a bitch to find rules/books for online
>>
>>45727193
>>45722202
>>45721830
>>45721596
>>45729642

Alright fatties the trove is online
https://mega.nz/#F!3wcg0JhT!0nAlE76djpF6mZ5bz6dRdA

If I missed anything that was mentioned earlier in the thread let me know.
>>
What is the name of the system, or at least the quasi system, that Shadowrun 4e uses (and 5 shares)
>>
File: 1442451077951.png (349 KB, 529x545) Image search: [Google]
1442451077951.png
349 KB, 529x545
>>45730321
thanks anon
>>
>>45730364
D6666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666?
>>
>>45721596
AEG's roll and keep system:
d10s stat plus skill in the dice pool, roll, keep STAT number of dices from the result, 10s explode

before a roll you can raise a roll's tn by multiples of 5 to get extra effect for a successful roll, like more damage, hitting specific bodypart. Raises can be use in pretty much all rolls, like raise to make it harder to trace you if you start a rumor

this system is used for legend of the 5 rings and 7th sea
>>
>>45730321

I want to love you physically.
>>
>>45730734
i laughed at this, so true
>>
>>45721949
award to the biggest autist on 4chan goes this guy. Really.

Seriously though, OP needs to stop. His list reads like hipster bullshit with zero history or game knowledge.

>muh d20
fuck you.
>>
>>45723783
played it. The skills and boons system is worth using. The rest of the system? Average. Though you can run combat far faster and looser than D&D and make it very engaging (did this for a table at a convention running it, worked well).
>>
>>45732318
Go to bed, Hung.
>>
I fucking love runequest.
It's fairly crunchy and the combat feels tactical and meaningful. it coalesces so well to me. the modular nature of the magic makes it fit so many game styles (and the firearm rules could modernize it though I haven't tried them).

The use of some tables (mainly to determine success levels on opposed tasks) is kind of offputting to some but I was raised on 2e AD&D, so it doesn't irk me as much.
>>
>>45721808
>>45721906

>google Sorcerer rpg

Get instant results.

Are you guys just this fucking dumb? Christ it's no wonder no one talks about anything other than D&D on /tg/
>>
>>45721858
By definition, we can always discuss games on a subjective level.

Given that, GNS theory does not elevate the discussion, as it is itself subjective, and a good argument can be made that it is also strongly biased.

Besides which, GNS defines gamist systems as ones where spells and combat systems are highly specific and create specific results. Something that things like ORE try to remove as much as possible.
>>
I want to try Rifts sometime.
>>
>>45721596
is there a system out there that allows for the grid based tactical combat of 3.5dnd/pathfinder but without the terrible design decision of the later?
>>
>>45721750
>GURPS
3d6 roll under system. Everything is super customization and tweakable. Character generation is point-buy, and probably the reason it has such a reputation for complexity. Beyond that, you're mostly just trying to roll under a modified skill/attribute number. Has tons of optional rules for things like tactical shooting, in depth social planning, mass combat, or different magic systems.

Can work for any genre or style of game, but favors a certain degree of realism. In general, if you could see it being a live action movie/show/etc, you could easily do it in GURPS. Anything really over the top needs a bit more effort.
>>
>>45735218
Yes. All the 40krpgs have their own terrible design decisions.
>>
>>45735218
Gotta tell us which design decision you don't like anon.
>>
>>45735218
Fantasy Craft
>>
>>45721843
It does a lot of interesting things with the bones of the d20 system, so I'd keep it.
>>
>>45730734
Damn anon you got me. I guess I'll never get to run my gritty modern low fantasy with good average probability weighting now. ..
>>
File: Toast to You Octopus.jpg (76 KB, 396x297) Image search: [Google]
Toast to You Octopus.jpg
76 KB, 396x297
>>45730321
Appreciate it, Anon!
>>
One Roll Engine is a fun alternative. Takes five minutes to learn but has a huge amount of versatility and depth (and height and width...)
>>
>>45732318
>His list reads like hipster bullshit with zero history or game knowledge.

OP here what would you recommend toward improving it?

>>45732531
Finding the actual pdfs with a name that generic was a bit challenging

>>45735328
>>45722292
Descriptions added for the future
>>
>>45721766
Only useful post in thread.
>>
I don't care if I'm the 10th or soperson to say this, but your thread is the /tg/ equivalent of "let's talk about any videogame that isn't Skyrim" or "let's talk about any play that isn't Romeo and Juliet". Just posting the names alone for the massive ton of other systems out there could easily cap this thread before we get through all of them.
>>
>>45738794
>but your thread is the /tg/ equivalent of "let's talk about any videogame that isn't Skyrim"

A more apt comparison would be saying lets talk about video games that use weird interaction mechanics.

I tried to be a clear as possible in the header that I wanted to discuss systems that use uncommon (not d20) player interaction methods. I didn't ask for a raw list, I asked for people to bring up games if they though the mechanics were interesting to them. So far it looks like we haven't had any problems with the thread capping out.
>>
>>45738910
>uncommon (not d20)
Boy! Your bubble is thick.
Can you even hear me in there?
>>
The best Tabletop Roleplaying Game ever created is notD&D.

Call of Cthulhu
>>
>>45738938
Are you denying that the overwhelming majority of the systems talked about on /tg/ are d20 (specifically on with dragons)?
>>
>>45738954
That doesn't make anything outside of d20 "uncommon". In the 90s when World of Darkness competed directly with D&D for who gets the biggest market share, by your logic it would be a "weird and new" system competing against the standard that everyone plays because it's D&D.

3.PF and 5e are the most popular at the moment, but it hasn't always been this way.
>>
>>45739050
>3.PF and 5e are the most popular currently
>But that doesn't make other things uncommon

If it isn't commonly played or talked about, yes anon, it does become uncommon.
>>
>>45739122
I haven't seen DnD played in years. Sure, at conventions there's usually a table in the corner. But the people who sit there stay there all weekend. There's a DnD corner, a GW corner, and all the games people actually play in the huge busy conference space between.

Honestly, the only ones still playing DnD are the ones who have resisted trying out ANYTHING else for 20 years now. Fantasy fans play Runequest, Reign, or DW. Gamist fans play Shadowrun or awesome one page games. Autists play Gurps. I seriously haven't met anyone describing DnD as their game or their primary game in a whole while. Some aging 90s gamers might pick up a retroclone out of nostalgia. But that whole WotC-Hasbro-DnD thing never really caught on. Maybe it did in the States with ad budgets. But that's all it is. There is no player scene worth mentioning.
>>
>>45739122
Go in the Gamefinder and look through what games are recruiting; things outside of d20 are talked about, and played, a lot more often than you think. If you only look at what has the most threads on a board to determine the rarity of people playing specific games then your views will be extremely skewed without representing reality in the slightest.

Here are some examples of NOT D&D that always have at least one thread up at any given time:

-Song of Swords
-World of Darkness
-Star Wars (FFG)
-The 40k rpgs (usually Dark Heresy)

Here are some examples of NOT D&D that usually have threads up:

-Savage Worlds
-GURPS
-Japanese rpgs general
-Exalted

and various others.
>>
Is Strike! different enough?

It's the unholy fusion of 4e style tactical combat and *World/Burning Wheel/Mouseguard inspired skill mechanics, with some FAE tricks sprinkled in for good measure. It was basically developed under the name "sacred BBQ" and was about removing as many of the D&D sacred cows as possible while keeping class based squad level tactical combat 4e does best.

I absolutely love it.
>>
>>45739330
>Maybe it did in the States with ad budgets
I feel like there's a lot of truth to this. People who don't play RPGs a whole lot or at all know about D&D because that's the only system mentioned on tv because Hasbro is the only one who bothers to try and market their game that way.
>>
>>45739393
Stop shilling Strike!

Why does /tg/ keep shilling Strike?
>>
>>45739505
Because 4e wasn't bad, it was just different and people are just now getting over their butthurt and starting to realize it.
>>
>>45739505
I'll never stop shilling Strike!

Honestly, I think it's mostly just me, touhoufag, and maybe 1-2 other guys.

It basically does like 90% of the things I want right, and because it's modular I can just change the remaining 10%.
>>
>>45739330

Given that every day there's at least one thread where someone asks how to get into rpgs, what dnd to use, how to dnd bcause noob, etc. Having a regular thread with options is probably a good idea.

Its amazing how many people seem to be legitimately upset about wanting to provide information and options. Its just a thread, if you don't want to hear about things you don't want you don't have to come here.
Thread replies: 103
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.