[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How far on the Henderson scale have you reached?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 113
Thread images: 9
File: old_man_henderson.jpg (65 KB, 364x500) Image search: [Google]
old_man_henderson.jpg
65 KB, 364x500
>>
I'm not a fag, so zero, but I've played with some pretty big fags who would have scored pretty high on your Henderson scale of faggotry.
>>
>>45581790
-0.25 personally.
I managed to resolve an encounter just the way the DM planned, unleashing the apocalypse. That was just the intended start of the adventure though.

My players have probably hit. . . . 1.75 Hendersons. I made the foolish concession that physics did indeed work in my universe, so the chemist in the party melted half the city and everyone in it, party included. Since this eliminated the first plot BBEG, the quest NPC's to lead the PC's to the next story arc, and all the PC's, we called it quits.
>>
>>45581790
I accidentally SUN-bursted a hostage with the BEG.
They were both undead.
>>
>>45581946
>using real world knowledge
>>
I almost managed to steal the 'good faction' blind and make a getaway.

GM had to call in an absent player's character, so I decided I'd be nice and stop.
>>
>>45581790
1 Full Henderson.

It was supposed to be Dwarven politics and cloak and dagger dealings. Instead we just blew up a significant chunk of the city with a spellbomb and which collapsed the cave it was in and caused total pandemonium for the Dwarven capital.

We skipped town and the game fizzled shortly there after. Also we previously finished the last two quests/missions/plots by going 0.5 0.25 Hendersons respectively. The second we did literally derail a train too.
>>
In a Deadlands game I once turned half a mining town into bloody popcorn.

Granted, they were possessed by bug spirits, but I "saved" the rest of the town and robbed them for my due payment without explaining anything.
>>
>>45581946
>1.75 Hendersons

That's a lot of cocksucking.
>>
>>45581863
>zero
You've never finished a campaign?
>>
I used alchemy to turn the water in an ornamental fountain at a nobles ball into Thunder Oil.

So long castle, so long majority of noble families in the city state, so long plot hook.
>>
Not sure where this would place on the scale, but half way through this big quest to destroy an artifact that would open a massive gateway into hell on a certain date, we decided to just dump the thing into the ocean.

Our DM was a little bitter, but he wound up rolling with it, and we had to deal with this whole thing where Ocean levels started dropping and demonic fish-men came out of them. We attempted to solve that by opening a series of gateways from the plane of water (to stabilize the water level), through heaven (because that'd make it holy water right?), and finally into the ocean above the hell-gate.

Our DM go even more frustrated, and rolled up a demi-god tier enemy called the Gatekeeper for the express purpose of closing all the gates, and telling us to knock it off or die. We killed him last week, and I'm pretty sure our DM is going to ask us to just roll new low-level characters, and just ban us from ever making an all-magic-user party again.
>>
>>45581790
This probably places low on the scale, but we managed to win a meant-to-lose encounter against enemies 3-8 levels higher than us by abusing terrain and one of the home-brew classes the DM created.

The moral of the story is: if you give players a class with physical-immunity, make sure you remember to make your boss a caster or arm then with a magical weapon.

I should storytime that sometime, it was a glorious session.
>>
>>45582353
Glorious
>>
Monk buddy and me (gunslinger) meet the BBEG early in the campaign for him to taunt us.

Monk has some amazing rolls, and proceeds to grapple/pin/bind the BBEG

I walk up and coup de grace his ass.
>>
>>45582353
>fish men
Not
>giant demon fish monsters that make seafaring horrendously dangerous, causing famine in industrialized States and technological stagnation in agricultural states
>>
>>45581790
i felt like henderson when i was playing a combat focused character in a game where the DM took influence from undertale and was really pushing pacifism

in the end i felt sorta justified since he didn't tell me what kinda game we were playing until we had the characters made and ready to play
>>
File: Farnsworth.jpg (59 KB, 250x250) Image search: [Google]
Farnsworth.jpg
59 KB, 250x250
>>45581790

Full-on.

My PCs have gone Full Henderson. They've also gone Full Emnite because they're both crazy-not-stupid, lost and damned Cultists.

I regret nothing.
>>
>>45581790
1 I think. The party started in a ship, tied up to the mast. We asked the captain what happened to us, but we were too aggressive and ended up getting thrown overboard. Out of spite, my character, an alchemist, threw a bottle of incendiary at the ship, setting it on fire. Then we drowned.

The campaign didn't last even ten minutes.
>>
>>45582908
That's on the DM. Always tell your player the setting before they make characters.
>>
>>45581790
No idea, but my DM did tell me the only reason there were fights in the campaign were because I rolled a Fighter for the political campaign.
>>
Got a .5 in Dark Heresy by following a long-standing tradition of killing any NPC with Unnatural Agility and offing the faux-Inquisitor Eldar that we were supposed to be manipulated by. The GM and I are still good friends, but everyone got mad.

At least I didn't try to smash his soulstone afterward, demonstrating that I may be paranoid, but at least I'm not needlessly evil.
>>
>>45581790
Somewhere in the negatives
I keep rolling so badly it derails the DM's plan due to how hard I fail
>>
>>45585953
A De-Rail by any other means would still madden the DM.
>>
No idea where it ranks, but I managed to kill a resurrected false god with only four working laser tower batteries. Nearly did it on the first turn too.

GM ended the game session right after the false god's death since it was supposed to destroy the port and was part of the plot.
>>
>>45581790
Only 0.5, personally.

We were supposed to get arrested (either peacefully or through an unwinnable fight), go through a dramatic trial sequence, and meet the king of the region we were visiting on the way to resolving the main quest, thus setting up another part of the GM's New Vegas style pick-a-faction plot dilemma.

Instead, we killed the assholes that outnumbered us two to one because the ranger was a big damage sponge and I was minmaxed enough to solo their boss in two rounds. We never even met the king till the end of the plot.

I don't feel bad though, because in the next GM's game, the previous one cheesed half the campaign with her hyperactive CN gnome druid. I was blowing spells just to help the rest of the party physically keep up with her, and at one point we wound up buying pretty dresses and going to a party hosted by a dragon, where she did everything while the ranger and I made small talk in the corner.

"This is what my character is like". Never again.
>>
So far my players have only gone to 0.5 Hendersons, but they do it regularly.
>>
>>45581790
Who?
>>
>>45581790
This is a meme I would be pretty okay with seeing die.
>>
>>45582163
>That Story
>Shared it with friend
>They cry out "I think I DM'd that!"

Would you do me favour? They're asking "check if it's David or Cody." If it is, name the DM?
>>
>>45581790
Trivially 1.5.

We were playing Midnight and one of the party attacked the priestess of the Dark Lord who we were acting as secretly-rebellious bitches for in the middle of an orc camp. We took her (because GM had statted that as a difficult-but-doable encounter) and then the orcs came in and instagibbed us.

As for other notable fuck-ups... in a spelljammer-in-pathfinder campaign I, a gelatinous cube ate:

The herald of Cayden Cailean
Cayden Cailean's Dog's Puppy
Ghaunadaur
All of the skulls of skullport

& the party killed Elminster.
>>
>>45587316
Oh yeah, and caused the total collapse of Waterdeep into the hole that Skullport used to be in.
>>
>>45587316

>& the party killed Elminster.

I honestly fail to see this as a bad thing
>>
>>45581790
Recently my party members managed a full Henderson, or would have if not for the previously-established cosmic entities using their powers to grant them a do-over.
>>
>>45587370
The GM didn't either. Oh, we did also unleash Pathfinder Asmodeus into the FR world via claiming the store of beholder-knowledge on H'Catha in his name. A lot of mad shit went down in that campaign.
>>
>>45581790
I've only been in one game, a PBP homestuck-type adventure (solo adventures until characters actually meet up). My character managed to perform a sequence of actions that resulted in every enemy in the game being imbued with traits and powers of the local Cthulu-likes. By accident. Sort of.

For anyone versed in Homestuck, she prototyped a Squiddle.

Game's currently hibernating until the DM sorts his shit out and stops being brainfried by life, but I'm told that my own actions had the most impact on the direction of the plot, such as it was.

I'd put myself somewhere around 0.4 Hendersons.
>>
File: 1265547876418.jpg (24 KB, 364x375) Image search: [Google]
1265547876418.jpg
24 KB, 364x375
>>45581790
fuck me, I had forgotten
>>
1.25 I think. Possibly 2.0

I tend to meme on settings pretty hard.

There's also the fact that I managed to pull off six operas with a clutch victory on every one.
>>
>>45587547
After chatting to the GM (who i share an IRC channel with) he reckons it was a 0.25 Henderson stunt, with my actions afterwards dialling it down to 0.1.
>>
The Henderson thing is only meant to be attempted when you have a very bad DM. It's not something to attempt just for the fun of it, derailing everyone else's fun for your own amusement.
>>
I have two friends who always manage to That Guy campaigns.

One is always the guy who makes the totally off-party decision at some point in the campaign and causes the PVP where his character dies / runs away and he brings in something else that doesn't fit the campaign.

The other just plays characters who always suicide bumrush big bad guys who are way over what the party can take and gets himself (minimum) and possibly the rest of the party, killed.

I now basically refuse to play with the first guy.
>>
>>45587798
most Hendersons tend to happen purely by accident, in my experience
>>
>>45587798
The Henderson business is just a measure of how gay you are, named after a giant fag who had just as little sense as the people who take pride in ascribing levels of faggotry to themselves.

It's something that should never be attempted, even with a bad DM, because it's just being worse than the DM as a form of passive aggression which just makes you a giant fag like ol' Henderson, Lord of Gay Mountain.
>>
>>45582163
>That Story
>Shared it with friend
>They cry out "I think I DM'd that!"

Would you do me favour? They're asking "check if it's David or Cody." If it is, name the DM?

(Reposting cause not every motherfucker reads every post.)
>>
File: tumblr_n7sjv4uApG1sk6x9qo1_250.jpg (34 KB, 250x257) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_n7sjv4uApG1sk6x9qo1_250.jpg
34 KB, 250x257
Games that I've GM'd? Like -1 Hendersons. I've also been hit with like 0.5 Hendersons.

Games that I've played in? We just hit a full Henderson last week in our Rippers campaign. We walked into a town and were supposed to save an old vampire princess lady thing whatever, as a favor to a vampire that had stopped a vessel that was stealing a bunch of goods from a Ripper Lodge.

In a single day we managed to:

>Have two characters gored by a single bull
>Buy the bar
>Have our British Lord party member infuriate and make enemies with literally every major NPC in the Scottish town, leaving his actual name everywhere he went
>Free a shitload of vampires and other were-beasts into a town full of vampire hunters which descended into chaos.
>Have one player throw five vials of holy water at the mayor, whom I was engaged in a DBZ-esque brawl of vampire-blood fueled superpowers, knocking me out and melting the mayor to death
>Have one party member transform into a wereshark and fuck another wereshark (this one is naturally a shark and not a woman). The british lord watched them to fulfill his voyeurism fetish (read: Curiosity). The character plans to place the offspring in his zoo.
>Have the shark fucking b-plot half of the party figure out how to get a trough of water containing a shark up a flight of stairs so that it could be successfully loaded onto our ship, as it is now the wereshark character's wife.
>The a-plot half of the party raided the bar and made dozens of molotov cocktails and proceeded to burn the entire town down.
>Have the shark trough hitched to the horse drawn carriage and dragged to the docks, where we put her on our ship and departed

We later found out that the Scottish Lord that owned the weapons factories in the town we destroyed (he was farming vampire blood and selling the vials) declared economic warfare on the British Lord character that left his name everywhere, buying all of his suppliers.
>>
File: 1384049266934.png (559 KB, 777x663) Image search: [Google]
1384049266934.png
559 KB, 777x663
>>45591359
We have since declared actual war on the Scottish Lord. I hope that it becomes the plot of MGSV where we do nothing but tirelessly pursue revenge against him for these transgressions against a party member that none of our characters particularly like.

I also only have one eye and Enemy: Police and Wanted as hinderences, so I'm already pretty close. My friend and I made characters based off of our characters from an Aliens game we had played in Savage Worlds previously, with my character being based off "Victor Boss" who is the great great great great great grandson of "Vinny Boss". He is playing as "Dixon Pound", great great great great great grandfather of the legendary "Sgt. Richard 'Dick' Pound".
>>
>>45582439
Stop being coy and just spill the beans already
>>
Forever dm, So My players? They act normal, most of the time, reaching maybe - 0,25 to 0,25 couple of times. With the exeption of one time when one of them derped So much that it led to tpk. He used high lvl slot with aoe spell and max dmg ability, while other party members were in range. That was probably single instace in my gm-ing, when i asked if the player really wants to do it. They all agree its a good idea and two of them went down in the same round, while caster joined them shortly after.

In my expirience, If the players reached far +side of the scale they simply outsmarted dm. Congratulation for them, but Situation like that shouldnt happen if you are good dm. On the other hand, far minus side represents the Stupid / disorderly acting players and very rarely bad Luck. If you have multiple expiriences of those minus henderson moments it probably means that you play with pretty shit players.
>>
>>45581790
The GM of my "horror" game has little control over what I do, which usually involved derailing the game in a hilarious manner, pyromania and murder.
I'd say it's 0.5 Hendersons right now, but only because I still haven't had enough down time to steal a semi full of fuel.
>>
File: 1374716046778.jpg (51 KB, 625x552) Image search: [Google]
1374716046778.jpg
51 KB, 625x552
I almost one shot both the bbeg and the party with a flare gun once. Turns out it wasn't the best weapon for shooting at undead pirates.
>>
>>45588447
'k
>>
>>45589835
>>45582163
Naw, it was a friend of mine named Mercer, no one named David or Cody in the game. But that's kinda bizarre that a story that similar happened in your friend group.
>>
>>45581790
I made the GM have to stop game and call a friend for advice
>>
As low as -.5 and as high as .75. Turns out releasing old gods has repercussions.
>>
>>45581790
I once made my GM have to cut the session short because I killed the vampire who was supposed to guide us to the God of Earth.

The weird thing is that I thought it was the path he intended for us to take - he had my character's sister (whom she had been searching for for eight years) and he was treating her as a forced apprentice, and I had a vicious hatred of undead IC so I thought I was supposed to kill him and my sister would guide us instead of him. I don't hold it against him, though - just an odd, funny thing from that last campaign.

In that same campaign, however, a friend of mine accidentally skipped half the campaign due to time travel shenanigans. It's honestly a pretty simple story, but if anybody wants I can story time.
>>
Does GM reinterpretation of NPCs count? Elminster was a drunk who could barely cast cantrips, Drizzt had a regular black cat and wasn't a drow, so on and so forth...
>>
>>45581790
Once went full Henderson that I became another groups BBEG.
>>
All people here claiming to pull full Henderson or more are so full of shit. None of those stories could be rated at more than 0.25 Hd
>>
>>45588447
My god man, put your autism away. No one cares how memeblasted your butthole is.
>>
>>45581790
My group back home was a pretty balls-to-the-wall, with plans and campaigns running in styles from 'Ocean's Eleven', through 'Inglorious Basterds', all the say to 'Smokin' Aces' in shenanigans-level.

So really, even with having turned an outpost into a transformer (2nd Ed), hacked into, took control of, fired repeatedly and ultimately colony-dropped an orbital Akira-style SOL satellite, surfed a city-levelling explosion on a helicopter propeller blade (Shadowrun, same campaign for both); and rammed an experimental fightercraft through the main fusion reactor of a star destroyer and back out the other side without taking any significant damage (pre-SAGA Star Wars d20)...

Still no major Henderson events. Because derailing the plot requires the plot not already counting on us being completely fucking insane from the word go.
>>
What is the scale of this?

>Vampire the maskerade
>Game start
>We start/meet at a mansion
>Bad guys there
>Start to fight with them
>dm say "wtf?? they are the friendly guys"
>they were actually the friendly guys and somehow I didnt knew that. and they actually called us to send us to a mission
>The friendly guys now start to fight against us
>End the day without the 2 hands, trying to drive the car with my mouth to ram it on the mansion
>>
>>45602953

You write like a twelve year old.
>>
>>45603241

Any twelve year old who writes like that is most likely mentally handicapped.
>>
>>45581790
-9 Hendersons.
I became the God of Peace, timetravel and immortality at my disposal. Satan was also my bitch.
Everything carefully planned and played, fair and square.
Before GM knew it, I had already taken control. I could sit down and bullshit in 20 minutes about how I wanted to bend my magical attacks, seeing I was effectivly the Anakin Skywalker of Magic.
I could die Five times each day without consequences, regenerate health to prevent myself from dying and timetravel, so who gives a shit.
In the end I had killed everyone and granted them mercy by resurrecting them back to life, however the magic I used to resurrect people was killing me and my physical shell was about to rot away.

I countered this by locking my soul and magic into my friend which carried me in his body for 200 years until he one day transformed into me and I was back to bring peace anew.
I could rewrite memories by looking at people, everytime someone decided to start shit, I just teleported there and told him/her that was a bad idea and erase those memories.

The only reason I allow myself to gloat about this character is because I had no idea what I was doing 95% of the time.
I can honestly say I was That Guy and it was probably the best sessions I've had. Ever.
>>
>>45587547
>she prototyped a Squiddle.
>Not using WTS to prototype an imp
>Not prototyping yourself pre-entry
>Not prototyping a SBURB disc and playing a torrented copy
It's like you don't even Homestuck.
>>
>>45599316
>but if anybody wants I can story time.
/tg/ has two moods: Not caring and wanting a story.
No place to go but up.
>>
>>45606038
Fair enough. I'll story time and if people are interested, cool. And if any of my party or my GM reads this, sorry, but I'm going forward with this.

So, this campaign was an interesting one. It was Pathfinder (yeah, yeah, it sucks, but the group made it fun despite its flaws) and our party had four people: me (a Life Mystery/Haunted Curse Oracle, but originally a barefisted Barbarian), a gnome summoner who was obsessed with fire, a middle eastern Magus with a camel, and a guy who bounced from character to character like crazy.

So, to give you guys some context, this whole campaign revolved around the God of Earth luring people into caves (the portal to his pocket dimension domain) and the way gods worked is that they're basically regular empowered with a certain concept by an artifact.

So, basically the God of Earth is a complete and utter prick. He was originally a normal ass king who got very sick - his Clerics couldn't figure out how to cure him, he sent out some guys to quest for a cure (not us), the whole nine yards. Then, he decides "You know what, endangering the world for the sake of my own health sounds good, let's take the God of Earth's position".

Fast forward several hundred years to when this king is an obscure bit of history and that's where our party comes in - he wanted us to help us find a cure, we decide he's a dick and try to find him so we can kill him and one of us can take his place.

/1
>>
>>45608159
So, eventually we find a big ass ocean and a pack of Goblins who are building a giant ship (my GM does Goblins as "High Intelligence, very, very low Wisdom") and tons of golems who went rogue.

Hilights there include me scaring the goblins into thinking I'm an incarnation of Death and I get a small following/cult from that (all fourteen of their Crossbows missed me somehow and I knocked out a goblin instantly with a nonlethal Inflict spell before the rest of the party could catch up to me), we get the rogue golem problem under control, the Magus took one of the heads as a trophy (it was still self aware and constantly asked to be released), one of the Golems became our companion, we encountered the vampire I mentioned in a previous post and kicked his ass, and we fixed the ship.

So off we went sailing in search of the God of Earth. Things we encountered included a fairly old white dragon (we were supposed to fight it off using the ship's cannons and shit, but that failed and I managed to scare it away by using Minor Illusion to convince it I had summoned Bahamut to kick its ass), a ship with a literal skeleton crew, and the God of Death (whom we summoned through an altar) - I managed to buddy up with him and he gave us directions to the God of Earth and a warrant for his death.

2/
>>
>>45608417
Eventually, we find the fucking bastard and he's practically ready to croak already. We have a stern talk, he mentions that someone convinced him to take up the mantle of the God of Earth, and I decided to Intimidate the information out of him.

I give him a low, otherworldly glare, flash my ghosts at him, and tell him its in his best interests to spill the beans. Unfortunately, he fails his Will save so fucking badly that he has a heart attack and dies.

Since there's no active God of Earth any more, the cave starts crumbling and the Earth outside of the pocket dimension is about to fall apart. So we panic and grab his god relic, but it doesn't work. The fucker had a fake on him just to fucking spite us (he was really angry at us that we decided not to kill some people he didn't like early in the campaign).

To make a long story short, we panic like chickens with our heads cut off and die, so our souls end up going to Death.

Our GM intended for this to be the halfway point of our campaign - we were Level 10 by this time and he wanted to see us get to Level 20.

So, our next course of action was to go to a council of the gods to figure out how to fix the world. Creating a new relic wasn't an option, so my character suggested we use the God of Time's ability to send us back in time and prevent that ancient King from becoming the God of Earth.
>>
>>45608651
That was what I thought our GM had planned and, to me, that was the most intuitive and easy solution. My Gnomish friend, however, had a different plan.

Without our knowledge, he consulted the God of Secrets (who was a bit more vague in nature - he had to be sneaky because otherwise the God of Secrets would have fucked right off) and was able to learn when exactly the God of Earth parted with his relic.

It turned out that our party had already been to the place where he parted (a dilapidated castle within the caves), but not at the exact right time. With that in mind, Time sent us there and we had an ambush and a fight - I got to get creative with Shape Stone once more before I used Minor Illusion again to help me scare the pants off of Earth and we yanked his fucking relic off after a while.

The Gnome got to be the new God of Earth (mainly because nobody else wanted it) and we all patted ourselves on the back for a job well done. It was only after this that our GM reveals that, by figuring out something he never expected the Gnome to figure out (it turns out, talking to the God of Secrets is a fucking landmine in itself), we had just skipped half the campaign. There was no contingency plan, there was no backup, the Gnome had just straight up skipped half the campaign.

/4
>>
>>45608918
And that's the story of how my friend skipped half a Pathfinder campaign, with the lead up to help make it go down a bit easier (even though I'm still kinda shit at telling stories).

I think the GM handled it about as well as anyone could've - he's planning a few sessions to wrap up some of the loose ends that were left behind (namely the fact that the time travel inadvertantly unrescued my character's sister from a power hungry vampire) and a sequel campaign, so that's fairly exciting.

To my group, sorry if you were embarrassed by my lackluster story telling skills, but I thought it'd be fun to share it nonetheless.
>>
>>45581790
1.0 A guy we knew from high school ran a D&D 3.5 game during college based entirely in Dragon Age, with his own self insert characters and everything, wound up being a total dick to the entire group, in and out of game and literally said "I'm the DM what are you gonna do? Quit?", so we took 3 months of weekly games to bring his entire game world down till he rage quit. Loved every single screaming minute of it. As the since then group forever DM I encourage that kind of fuckery now.
>>
>>45581790
.15 hendersons.

We accidnetally discovered which councellor was a balor by the rogue secretly installing a holy water dispenser above every seat but mine. (I was a lich at the time)

The balor was unarmed, but we were level 12 or so, and only some of the party were present.

Our that Guy used this as an opportunity to kill as many NPC's as possible because his new character had secret grudges, and I ended up limply slapping the Balor to death with a mixture of Dread Necromancer touch attacks, with certain spells which cumulatively increase damage on your next attack, and channeling smite. Had to do it a few times, but it worked.

The Balor was fully manifested on our world tho, which meant I had a skeleton to work with afterwards. I saved it for most of the campaign, then I slapped an extra pair of sand giant (dm homebrew stone giants for the desert) arms on him, and put bulette mouths on the end of the arms making a bloody mudra skeleton with the fiendish template.

Basically, I made an unstoppable killing machine for our big last battle, many of the DM's hand made NPC's were slaughtered which he was understandbly upset about, and so he swiftly ended the campaign with all the surviving NPC's being bumped to lv 20 fighters, the wizards guild trying to assassinate my character with 20 disintegrate rays from one time use items (levels varied but the average surviving wizards were probably lv 6 or so and their lv 10 transmuter leader)

SR and a body guard with more hp than god are the only reason I survived. And the ring of the body guard.
>>
File: 1455661309587.jpg (56 KB, 480x640) Image search: [Google]
1455661309587.jpg
56 KB, 480x640
I've managed to derail my own campaign by introducing a red-herring and the players not understanding it's a red-herring and going off the rails to fucking fish for it.

They're not even advancing the plot anymore to find out it's a red-herring, they've just decided to follow this dumb, inconsequential plot point and now I have to re-write the entire story.
>>
>>45611984
Putting red herrings in a TTRPG is always a bad idea, retard.
>>
>>45612202
no it isn't dillweed
>>
I once rode a dragon on fire while playing the john cena entry music, and my character had 14858599537953HP and could cast level infinity spells and had an invincible shield it was super epic
>>
I've played a role so just like old man henderson and Jesus I've gone full entirelyfictional/10
>>
>>45581790
0. Unlike most people on /tg/ I am actually capable of talking with my GM and other players like normal human beings.
We discuss setting and characters beforehand and if there's a problem we just talk about it.
Therefore I have no need to ruin everyone else's fun just to get my kicks.
>>
>>45614811
but how can you get epic greentext stories and upvotes
>>
>have run in with weird cult
>most of campaign centered around rescuing some from cult
>many dead culties later, rescue complete, learn of evil giant hell portal under city about to open
>"youre the only one who can stop it"
>party kills quest giver, steals a boat and sails far away

This is why you should always ask for some form of alignment from pcs even if the system has none :(
>>
>>45581790
Not sure where it fits on the scale, but I once utterly ended a campaign to the point of the GM rage-quitting in session one. I can't even be blamed either.

>get invited by friend to his gf's game
>get told it's an urban fantasy game in a school setting
>was mad into Negima at the time (still am, desu), so fucking love the idea
>make an kabbalistic earth mage who hunts demons
>join game
>on being told the concept, my face decides to fucking leave
>it's not urban fantasy school
>it's urban fantasy HIGH SCHOOL HOST CLUB
>well, fuck
>eh, let's see where this goes
>other players are an incubus with more edges than a mono-molecular serrated chain katana, an angel with a minigun and the most description-lacking man (I think) to ever exist
>it's GURPS, but with everything that makes GURPS good stripped out and replaced with freeform
>note, I'm explicitly told it's GURPS
>game start!
>show up at school in my fucking kabbalah robes, staff in hand, to the incubus and a team of NPCs ripped straight from generic anime #518
>the NPCs and the incubus greet me, then go to talking about what to do with me
>I go make a cup of tea to calm down, as this is over IRC so I can get away with that shit
>they're still talking when I get back
>skim the text, they've basically decided for me that I'm joining the club
>mother fuck, I don't wanna be in no host club, I'm a fucking wizard
>mention that I should get a say in this
>incubus shoots me down by saying "all the supernaturals are in the host club, you should be too!"
>we're headed for class (I somehow got enrolled in this goddamn school) at this point
>ok, you've got a point, might not be a bad idea to be-
>wait, supernaturals? as in demons?

Continued next post
>>
>>45615276
>This is why you should always ask for some form of alignment from pcs even if the system has none :(
No. This is why you don't play with shitty players. If you're not going to play the game the GM has prepared for you, don't come to the table.
>>
>>45615887
>incubus reveals he's a demon
>I instantly stop talking to him
>he has a go at me in OOC, but I hand him a copy of my backstory and he sighs his way into exacerbated acceptance
>we're accosted by a teacher who has a go at the speshul NPCs
>two of them are vampires (one male, one female, and of course they're together), and the female once went into a blood rage and murdered the other one's family
>it's ok, though, because he forgave her for twoo wuv
>teacher thinks this is wrong, and the female should be killed
>wait a tick, that's basically my backstory!
>only I didn't forgive
>I fucking murdered the demons that killed my family
>and any others I met along the way
>and any I hunted down
>and any historical writings about them
>and so on
>I find myself actually agreeing with this obviously-the-villain teacher
>in character and out of character
>so I mention I'm taking his point of view
>I get yelled at, first OOC then IC, by everyone, including Mr. Not-The-Villain
>people are gearing up to fight now
>so I preempt the fight
>I cast Flesh To Stone on the male vampire
>remember we're using GURPS?
>that never changed
>he's a fucking statue now
>and I'm getting the shit kicked out of me
>in between the incubus cutting my fucking arm off with a shadow sword and a 5-year-old summoning a small army of golems to beat my ass, I manage to mention I can return him to flesh
>just as the first golem punch lands
>oop, there go my internal organs
>I'm a corpse now
>none of the NPCs have resurrection magic powerful enough for a man on -10xHP
>and the super-speshul man vampire is a statue now
>GM rages and leaves
>original friend was eh about it, but moved to Australia a few years ago so don't have contact with him
>my books say good end, all in all

Also, fuck the word filter. That was meant to be t.bh, not desu
>>
>>45615887
>>45615999
They didn't inform you of the theme of the campaign and the GM presented you with plenty of things (including other PCs) that you had explicitly written into your backstory that you hunt and hate.
Honestly, you did everything right with that character.
If the GM had let you know the theme beforehand, the result could have been avoided easily.
>>
>>45581790
A three.

There were many time paradox shenanigans
>>
>>45587798
It's also best if you have the consent of your fellows before you do it.
Too few people remember that he explicitly told everyone about his plans for that reason.
>>
Me and a friend reached a good whole Henderson on a dark heresy 1st edition were we played 50 year old, heretek electropriests. Didnt help that the gm wanted us to start with over 50 ish sanity. But it was a fun game and we derailed the game on occasins.
At one point we managed to accidently kill a whole family of nobles by releasing a orc pirate onto the ship, in exchange for me and the players lives. And negotiating with the remains of a possessed heretek. And doing a only war like were we had to highjack 2 tanks that belonged to the dark mechanicus.
>>
>>45620536
It was pretty fun, the chars names were Arl and magnus and their chars still live to the gms universe after a 5 hour session. Were the gm had us negototiate and do enough hertek stuff to be wanted by the dark mechanicus in the end we made clones and after some plastic surgery sent those to gather information.
The gm has made a promise and after some talking to 2 sessions of stealth and record deleting we managed to get the 2 clones onto a imperial regiment full of nobles. We play the clones to this day.
>>
>>45620605
A 5 hour session of after the campaign doing damage control, sorry about that. In the end the gm allowed it and wanted to see how long they could liv
>>
I'm not sure how to score them, but I've been the cause of two TPKs.

The first one was when I got myself arrested in a sci-fi homebrew system/setting, and the party did a lot of ridiculous shit to free me, all of which escalated until we killed two units of SWAT, then got mowed down ourselves with 6 nat20's on the GM's part.
Honestly, I was just gonna take a ride to the precinct and pay my fine for possession of Space-Meth.

The second one was a Hackmaster module one-shot.
We got to a Not!Wickerman-esque cult thing, and at first we didn't interact with the cultists, who seemed to leave us alone, but several fucked-up things later, we encountered them again as they were putting sacrifices in the wickerman.
I failed my religion check to see just what was happening, but I knew it wasn't any sort of good thing, and I nailed the priest between the eyes.
Then we had to fight 20+ peasant cultists - in Hackmaster, of all systems.
A lot of creativity later, and we'd escaped by the skin of our teeth, but we still had several hours until dawn and thus the completion of the ritual.
And suddenly the game ended with the BBEG being summoned.
Why?
The GM had given the Fighter the means to do so.
Why?
Because said Fighter had PTSD after seeing his own family slain before him as a peasant, and having become what he hated, he was easily taken in by the demon's promises of "I can make it better."
I broke a man.
The character, I mean - the player was mostly fine, if a bit shaken.
And the poor GM - it was his first time GM'ing.
>>
>>45614626
>>45611984
greentext it nutdipper
>>
>>45605982
I assume SBURB has wicked copy-protection.

Those are all valid choices, though. I only did it because it made sense for my character to do. She had a whole bunch of stuffed animals, I thought hey, she'd probably think squiddles are harmless enough to make the enemies weaker.

She was wrong. She then prototyped the closest thing she could find to a voice of reason: her replica bust of Julius Caesar. (she was a massive Rome nerd and had a replica set of legionary armor too)
>>
File: 1415091126092.png (142 KB, 308x238) Image search: [Google]
1415091126092.png
142 KB, 308x238
>>45581790
personally only between -0.25 and 0.25, but i'm typically the foreverDM anyway

one of my players recently achieved a full henderson in a one-shot GURPS campaign that i ran recently, though
they were a bunch of mages investigating werewolf attacks in order to make up for some Big Thing that they'd done to piss off the mage's guild, and the player in question was a one-armed, one-eyed pyromancer.
they'd started investigating an empty warehouse near the first murder's site, and due to some rolls they encountered a group of homeless people huddled up in the corner for warmth - but due to their perception rolls, could only make out that there was something in the shadows
player next to the pyro started casting a light spell, but the pyro himself decided to throw an explosive fireball into the shadows, whereupon a number of flaming hobos started screaming and running about.
it could've been salvaged had he not then tried stabbing them to put them out of their misery (and had the party's water/ice mage actually done more than throw ice projectiles at them)

several hilariously poor rolls on my end later and the warehouse had caught fire and the guards were investigating, coming to find the pyromancer walking out, covered in blood.
he calmly explains the situation and starts to walk off, where he then gets a shield to the back, gets knocked down, and decides to just let the guard arrest him

while the guards were puzzling over how to handcuff a one-armed man, another player steps up, flashes something that looks like a badge and aces his checks to convince the guards that he's doing special investigations and was looking for the pyromancer (only half a lie), and convinces them to let him take the guy away, to hand in to the mages guild as a criminal

overall the most hilarious game i've DMed in a while, and by the time it was over everyone in the city had forgotten about the werewolf because he'd just started the setting's equivalent of the fires of london
>>
>>45581790
I went full Henderson once. My friend took his group of friends back home through a plot hook and had a mildly successful game, and decided to take us (his college) friends through the same hook to see what happens. A king is trying to seize control of the weather, we know this and our goal is to steal his treasure while the rest of the armies siege his castle and hold his attention. After traveling through his traps, and a few encounters with guards, we reach the gold horde under the castle and battle some bound spirit he had, which mind controlled my character. DM described it as "whispers from a ghostly maiden and that I am compelled to act." After we finish that encounter we enter the treasure room and prepare the ritual to teleport us and the gold horde out of there and to our mercenary's encampment. As we finish setting it up, my character is the only one to hear "ghostly whispers of a sweet maiden coming from another room nearby" (as everyone else failed their checks). I warn the others that I may be compromised again and that we should hurry before I get completely mind controlled.

Turns out the second ghostly whisper was the goddess of water and weather calling out to us to free her from the binds that the King had her in. Which we promptly ignored and stole the treasure and fucked off. The king, still having the power of a literal god, flooded the world, destroyed the armies, and set up for a high seas adventure to defeat the king.
>>
>>45599092
Mercer, Alex Mercer.
>>
>>45581790
my players have .75, and will do so consistently every time I try to run a campaign. it's not intentional, but it can be counted upon.

If I'm running a oneshot though, everything goes smooth as silk.

I guess the difference is that m oneshots are typically sandbox, but in campaigns, that first game I give players a fairly straightforward and easy to accomplish goal, with more than enough resources to pull it off, since I have always had one or two new players or it be a new system. And then they not only will fail it miserably, but fail in such a way as to do so permenantly, , and have multiple party deaths.

In one, literally all they had to do was run away from the anti-spoopy police who were making random sweeps and had an ETA of 5 minutes or so. They proceeded to bar the doors of the tavern, then light it on fire using the alcohol as a distraction so they could "make a getaway," then fired a couple of arrows in their general direction to scare them away once they got within sight, which did nothing but alert them that they were inside and obvious troublemakers, and finally burnt to death because they had lit their makeshift fort on fire and barred themselves in.

It wasn't even meant to be an encounter. It was just to establish that there were anti-magic/monster paladins in the setting, and that since they all decided to be monstrous races or spooky classes they'd have to spend a lot of time either hiding or blending in. Sow some early hints that use of special powers publicly wasn't the best of ideas, so solving a problem with them was either something you had to be sneaky about or use as a last resort and skip town immediately after. A little like Solar Exalts but Innistrady.
And they turned it into a TPK. They turned what should have been an illusion of choice cutscene into a TPK.

This was my first time GMing, and I tell you what, it almost made me give up the practice entirely.
>>
I don't know, maybe a quarter henderson? It was a free-form rp set in camp halfblood wherein I got bored and had a pun contest with another player during initial orientation. It went on for at least 2 pages before we got banned. Worth it.
>>
I pulled a .75, possibly higher. The game did end directly afterward, but probably not because of me. Either way, we never got to see the full ramifications.

The plot involved time travel. There was a piece of technology from the future that caused a lot of problems in its prototype state, but had been perfected afterward in secret. It guaranteed the survival of the human race, and could raise power levels tremendously. My character was lawful evil and telepathic, and we had no real villain.

We had brought back one instance of the tech with us, since it had been implanted into an NPC to save his life. During a meeting between our party and the "evil" organization that would eventually develop the prototype tech, my character telepathically told the head of their group where they could find the already perfected design to reverse engineer. We had also just found out that one of their members was a spy, but her sin was that another player was trying to romance her, so I had my character leak that as well.

In one foul swoop the entirety of the future we had known was overwritten, two npcs had been condemned, humanity had found questionable salvation from an otherwise inevitable disaster, my character had likely become the true antagonist, and one of the player characters was literally cockblocked.

I don't usually try to derail plots, but I couldn't resist with that one.
>>
>>45582923
>Full Emnite
wut?
>>
>Player tries to go full Henderson during a game of Delta Green
>Fuck his character's shit up severely in return, to the point of death
DG isn't a game where acting Random XD will keep you alive. And fuck Henderson
>>
>>45582353
fucking screen capping this one
>>
File: 15.png (28 KB, 1318x169) Image search: [Google]
15.png
28 KB, 1318x169
>>45582353
and here it is
>>
I don't know about personally, but my party have pulled a joint 0.75 Henderson, possibly higher, when we missed out a subplot that was really hard to reveal but led to the location of the BBEG for the mission. To be fair though, it was beta playtesting a new set of campaign books for a new system that was gonna be released so it was more the authors fault.

Players in my game have pulled a 1.25 Henderson, but I was at fault for that because I needed to end the campaign.
>>
>>45585953
I know that feel bro.
>>
>>45604424
>I was a That Guy
>Best game ever.
Don't even have the decency to say 10 "Hail Pratchett"s and repent for your sins. The Marty is strong with this one...
>>
OMH is a terrible meme.

WHM is definitely a munchkin and probably a liar.
>>
>>45635618
"OMH is a terrible meme" is a terrible meme. It gives at least something of a common frame of reference for the magnitude of a campaign derail. You're just salty as hell because people are enjoying something you don't like.
>>
>>45582353
I can see how he would be frustrated because you guys did the stupidest possible solutions that were also a ton of work for him, but they're awesome over the top stupid. I love it.
>>
A full Henderson

We were playing pathfinder and the DM wanted us to either join up with these thassilonian cultists or to grudgingly work with them. He did not expect my character, who made it no mystery that she didn't like them at all to shoot both of them with her dragon pistol and then 1v1 the muscle cultist who was an undead antipaladin. Nearly killed him before another player knocked me out with a blunt bolt and tied me up to be sold into slavery in cheliax. Instead what happened was the druid busted me out and we sunk the ship we were on with some nettleburst and rode a dolphin into the sunrise leaving the party on the ship to die.

The DM then just went with it and the guy who knocked me out rolled a suli magus and we three went on adventures in Osirion instead and liked that story much mote all around the table.
>>
>>45635878
It's hardly that.
It's a poorly written story about a person being an unfunny, passive aggressive ass, and his group doesn't murder him for it but instead indulges in his every whim and enables him to get away with things no sane GM would allow.It's the kind of thing that if you profess to liking, you basically out yourself out as a THAT GUY.
This entire thread is like a shrine to the worst kind of players and GMs. It really is a Scale of Faggotry of the highest magnitude, and you want to pretend otherwise.

Henderson should have been forgotten long ago, but here you are, pretending that it's anything except the 2nd dumbest forced shit on /tg/.
>>
>>45599092
Holy shit, you play with Matt Mercer?
>>
>>45636138
Hmm, What is considered the 1st Dumbest shit. Magical Ream Stuff ?
Thread replies: 113
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.