[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
X-Com: Survivor Quest
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 118
Thread images: 10
File: YzIBWNB.jpg (437 KB, 2560x1440) Image search: [Google]
YzIBWNB.jpg
437 KB, 2560x1440
A foreward about the quest before we start. I intend to keep this short and sweet, not going on for as long as other quests that, while excellent, seem to be going on for an eternity with no end in sight. Furthermore, I don't intent to emulate the games in any mechanical context as a wargame. The games will do a better job than I ever can. Instead, I present a narrative and management aspect that are lacking in the excellent original titles and the new ones, from which the setting of this quest is based on. It will be composed of two parts, being the Commander, and being the Survivor.

Without further ado...

This is X-Com: Survivor.

The world fell after but a few yet intense months of fighting. The organization known as XCOM did it best to lead humanity in the fighting, but the aliens adapted to the fighting styles employed by the legendary Commander fast. It wasn't long before the members of the secretive Council accepted the call to peace from the so far silent invaders. The Great Accord was signed in September 16, 2015 in the ruins of Berlin where the first attack had been made. While ADVENT would pretend all hostility ceased there, the war had only begun. Sadly the fight would never be like it was in the days before the accord. The technological gap was never breached. Some of the finest minds in the world went into hiding, fearing for their lives in the wake of the failure of X-Com. The world has gone silent, without much hope at all for the future.
>>
File: CcRZHZY.jpg (116 KB, 1334x750) Image search: [Google]
CcRZHZY.jpg
116 KB, 1334x750
It has been twenty years. You were once a soldier, part of X-Com. Every mission you left the Skyranger with a full complement of troopers, every mission you came back alone. The toll left not only a mark on you but the rest of the project in general. As the combat got worse, the organization started to become more desperate, throwing any recruits they could grab at the problem in the hopes it would fix itself. Obviously, it didn't.

But, that was in the past, wasn't it? You haven't been a part of X-Com in years. But you feel something pulling at your heart. Your blood is boiling to return to the fight, and to be a part of something great again. You can't deny it, no matter how much your more mind rebels against the thought of watching more people die because you couldn't save them.

A phonecall wakes you up in the middle of the night. Which is odd, because this particular phone hasn't rung in nearly seventeen years. When the last X-Com base fell, and anyone who got out did.

The pentagonal shield has gone white from being left out in the sun, its original color once blue.

The box was once considered the epitome of sleek back in its day, but the newer phones coming out make it seem like a dark green brick. The bulky thing hums as it vibrates against the table, hidden underneath a stack of papers and magazines.

It's impossible to deny your urge to pick it up.

"Hello," Comes a voice you thought you'd never hear again, "It's time."

Time to report in to Central.
>>
First, pick a skillset.

>Mechanist
You are the modern craftsman. You turn raw parts into working works of art. You were once part of the science team for X-Com, but during the course of the war you got roped into the fighting as a raw recruit when one too many experiments failed.

>Guerilla
The war never ended. Long have you waged it, and never did a day pass where you weren't fighting. In forests you never make a sound, in the concrete jungle your shadow blends with the surrounding darkness. Unfortunately, anything outside of ambushes and killing is a bit beyond you.

>Revolutionary
When all others voices went silent, you spoke up. Your spirit may wane but never your words. A true firebrand, people are your weapons as much as your firearm. Never had a better leader graced the ranks of X-Com. But why does no one ever return with you, then?

>Mended
You weren't left unscathed by the war. They promised you that the EXO program would give you an advantage over anything else. Sadly, that never grew into fruition. You are tough, sturdy, with most limbs and other parts of your body being completely cybernetic. You aren't fast though, and you feel phantom pain of your limbs daily.
>>
>>45520852

>Mechanist

On some missions, others died because were hesitant to break precious alien technology with explosives at your and Vahlen's urging.
On other missions, you survived because you were able to divine purpose of a new artifact and duck split second faster than your squadmates
>>
>>45520852
I like the idea of the Mechanist, the prospect of creating better gear and maintaining it on your own sounds tactically sound.
>>
>>45520852
>Mechanist
>>
>>45521004
>>45521021
>>45521039
Mechanist it is. Next comes the more sticky and controversial aspect of any quest.

The Survivor needs to become a character. To do this, we need to assign some traits to them:
>What is their gender?
>What is their name?
>What is their country of origin?
>How do they cope with the loss of their squadmates and/or the war?

Now unlike other quests, this won't be first come first served or highest rolling decides. I will pick out the most satisfying examples for the Survivor for the purposes of the game. Better the pitch, better it'll get fleshed out too.

Thankfully we'll be skipping this part when we come to the Commander, leaving them genderless and nameless without a backstory. Being the pure vehicle of humanity's reckoning.
>>
>>45521094
>Gen the first 3 using XCOM 2
>>
>>45521094
I propose a female Character, we should figure out a country of origin before we pick a name.

As for coping mechanism... Throws herself into her work hoping to drown all her sorrows with it.
>>
>>45521114
I'm not saying do it. But do it.
>>
>>45521094
>Male
>Dakada
>Germany
>making metal minis of his dead squadmates
>>
File: 268500_2016-02-19_00001.png (450 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
268500_2016-02-19_00001.png
450 KB, 1280x720
>>45521201
>>
>>45521094
>male
>Dominic Drake
>Canada
> they threw themselves into being better faster stronger, hoping that next time atleast one other person will survive. when that failed they took up experimenting with Alien tech hoping to either kill himself or find a breakthrough which would help humanity kill all those motherfuckers.
>>
>>45521094
>male
>Adolf Schaetzli
>Switzerland
(switzerland is not XCOM member is it? We signed up as german soldier I guess)

>Spending virtually all his waking free time in the workshop. Other men and women have noticed we're bad luck and are avoiding us.
We were participating at the SHIV project because we hoped it could turn our luck around or at least assuage our conscience.
No such luck - either war ended before project completion, or the commander considered SHIV's more expensive than rookies.

The other fighters called us the Clockwork Man
>>
File: xcom 2 loading screen 3.jpg (32 KB, 594x356) Image search: [Google]
xcom 2 loading screen 3.jpg
32 KB, 594x356
Poking some people to fix up their proposals so they aren't left in the wind, but I'll be picking in 10 minutes to keep a brisk pace.

As a consolation prize, I'll be saving some of these down that aren't taken up to be future veterans to find.

>>45521146
Get a name and a country or origin.

>>45521258
Why Dakada? I'm quite curious.

>>45521264
If you came with a backstory it'd be tempting, with such a magnificent mustache.

>>45521291
Errors aside, a solid bedrock.

>>45521296
This is a strong contender.
>>
>>45521094
Male
Michael Ryan
USA
He spends his time working on his weapons an alien tech hopping to make the weapon that will win the war other members have seen names carved into his weapons thoes names Bing his old squad mates just so he can go into the battlefield with them one more time
>>
>>45521392
which errors?
>>
File: 12_x2_screens_news.jpg (166 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
12_x2_screens_news.jpg
166 KB, 1920x1080
We'll be using Adolf Schaetzli, but using elements from Dominic Drake and Michael Ryan. Hoped to make a breakthrough with alien tech, couldn't manage it. Marks the names of those lost into the weapons he makes. Always a bit ahead with his extensive academic training. Adolf joined the project without even knowing what exactly the Extraterrestrial Combat Unit was. Unfortunately, Vahlen wasn't too impressed with us and our young age made us a prime candidate to gain a bit of field experience. Few figured we'd be there in the end, or even here now.

Bradford knocks you out of your daydreaming.

"We need you Dr. Schaetzli. In more ways than one. I'm getting together a team of surviving members of the old project."

"I'm interested," You say to him.

"Good, because you're the last person I could find. Now we need you to head north out of the New Mexico District. We're up in northern Nevada. A nice location, all things considered."

>1. Roger that, Central.
>2. I hear you loud and clear Bradford.
>3. Who else is involved in this? I'm not going to lead another squad of rookies.
>4. (GM, explain more about the New Mexico District)

>>45521659
Capitalization only.
>>
>>45521874
>3. Who else is involved in this? I'm not going to lead another squad of rookies.
>>
>>45521874
>>
>>45521874

We don't want to die trying to save some rookie's ass
>>
>>45521874
>>3. Who else is involved in this? I'm not going to lead another squad of rookies.
>>4. (GM, explain more about the New Mexico District)
>>
File: 1455503545112.png (56 KB, 376x408) Image search: [Google]
1455503545112.png
56 KB, 376x408
Reminder that the Elders did nothing wrong.
>>
>>45521908
>>45521956
>>45521963
>>45522026
Shortly after the Great Accord, the ADVENT Administration set about 'fixing' the world. In the former nation of Mexico, they did this with brutal efficiency. Eliminating the Cartels with advanced technology and extreme prejudice, the first ADVENT Troopers were used in the fighting against the drug runners. Mexico was modernized as well, and the standard of living across the country improved with new building projects for the ADVENT City Centers becoming a huge boom to the collective wealth of the population. When the former American State Texas rebelled, with help from surrounding states, the world was stunned by the loyalty of the Mexicans who attacked fellow humans with impunity. As a reward, ADVENT gave back much of their historical territories and reorganized the Mexico District into the New Mexico District it is today, with great autonomy and privileges.

Bradford takes in a deep breath, "Those days are over. We have to be selective about who we send out nowadays. We don't have the resources necessary for large scale combat like we once did. You'll be in a squad composed entirely of new recruits. Now, are you interested or not?"

>1. One condition. I get to work with new toys.
>2. They better have good equipment, or it's your head Central.
>3. Understood, I'll arrive when I'm able. No later.
>>
>>45522170

go away ayy, thiss iss a human only thread.
>>
>>45522198

*sigh* and grit the teeth.
>3. Understood
>>
>>45522198
>2. They better have good equipment, or it's your head Central.
It's in your interest to outfit us with the best possible equipment, especially if you can't just throw out waves of rookies like you used to. Bullets are cheap, lives are expensive.
>>
>>45522198
>3. Understood, I'll arrive when I'm able. No later.
>>
>>45522198
>3.Understood
Heh, Always wanted to try out mexican food
>>
>>45522198
>>2. They better have good equipment, or it's your head Central.
>>
File: 2016-02-19_00001.jpg (298 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
2016-02-19_00001.jpg
298 KB, 1920x1080
>>45522259
>>45522266
It's best not to waste time. Who knows if ADVENT have already encountered this signal, cracked its encryption? Hard to say truly, the scientific breakthroughs achieved daily aren't exactly broadcasted to the public. You try to make this fast, letting out a sigh and speaking as respectfully as you can, "Understood, I'll arrive when I'm able."

It's hard to go anywhere without identification. Harder to get supplies for a trip up into Nevada. Especially because it lies in the Administrated Zones. Areas directly controlled by the ADVENT leadership, without even the pretense of a puppet government or any say in legislative matters. A beaten up pickup truck is all that you can manage to muster, heading out across the desert wastes and evading countless checkpoints. Eventually you come up upon a plateau with a few rusty shacks emerging out from its side.

The phone rings again. This must be the spot.

>1. Pick up the phone and immediately criticize the set up of this place.
>2. Move closer to get a better look of their settlement.
>3. Get out your rifle. Never know when you might need it.
>>
>>45522519

AMBUSH!
>>
>>45522519
>2. Move closer to get a better look of their settlement.
>>
>>45522519
>1. Pick up the phone
Wait for him to speak first.
And we can walk and talk so
>>
>>45522519
>3.Get out your rifle. Never know when you might need it

can never get to cautious
>>
>>45522559
>>45522575
Central pipes in through a burst of static, a background hum that surrounds his voice. "Glad to see you made it Dr. We were worried that you'd get lost." Did he sound smug? With your rifle out, you scan the horizon as you are prone to do. Else you wouldn't be alive. Suddenly, you notice something rising up over the rock formation. Lifting up, a grey mass. At first you think it's an ADVENT gunship, but doesn't match the design. Is it a Skyranger? No, no it is much bigger than that.

Central speaks up again, "But that rifle away soldier. We have advance warning stations ten miles out in all directions. ADVENT so much as sneezes our way we know. Pack it and get ready to report." A sleeker, more modern version of the Skyranger takes off out of his massive platform. Alien, yet human...

>1. Say nothing and comply.
>2. Comment about what a technological marvel this is.
>3. Why haven't we done anything earlier if we've had this up our sleeves?
>>
>>45522704
In this order
>2. Comment about what a technological marvel this is.
>3. Why haven't we done anything earlier if we've had this up our sleeves?
>>
>>45522704
>>1. Say nothing and comply.
>>
>>45522768
agreed
>>
>>45522704
>1. Say nothing and comply.

Raise eyebrows and nod respectfully.
>>
>>45522821
We're on the phone, he can't see that.
We can flip him off as well and he'd never know.
>>
>>45522768
>>45522810
Being a natural polygot, you speak over eleven languages. Extremely useful when you used to be an organization like X-Com. Or rather, still a part of it from what your eyes are taking in. Still, nothing comes to mind when considering the sheer size and gravity of the floating fortress moving its way in the sky. As the ramp of the Firebrand hits the dirt, you speak into the phone with a stunned, "Ai Sprooch isch nie gnueg."

Central sounds quite confused when he replies, "Was that even German? What are you on about, Doctor?"

"Nothing Central. Just making a comment on this, beautiful work. How long have we had this? Why haven't we used it sooner? If maybe we used it back when-"

"No time for maybes, Doctor. Besides, we only recently got it working. Wish you could have been around to thank the old man for it."

"Wait, you don't mean that Shen is dead do you?"

"Unfortunately yes. We'll give you a full debrief after you arrive."

Floating up to the ship proper, you find it is not as pristine on the outside. Plenty of hallways are blocked off from battle damage or misrepair. Though the majority of the ship is working. You are moved past the barracks and training area, brought directly into the Command Center. Bradford doesn't look like the once young, inspired officer he once was. But now he's hardened, and worldly. The lack of a sweater throws you off for a moment.

>1. Good to see you Bradford. I'm ready to fight.
>2. Show me the workshop, and tell me about Shen on the way there Central.
>3. I'm sorry about Shen. What happened, Bradford?
>4. Say nothing, wait for Central to speak.

>>45522872
>implying Central doesn't see all
>>
>>45522872
We're doing it for ourselves though, not for Central.
>>
>>45522977
>2. Show me the workshop, and tell me about Shen on the way there Central.
>>
>>45522977
>Was that even German?
I was only in Switzerland once but this was my exact impression
>>
>>45522977
>4. Say nothing, wait for Central to speak.
Right now, he knows what we need to know better than we do.
>>
>>45522977
>Good to see you, Central
>I'm sorry about Shen. What happened?
>>
>>45523015
The sobering reminder of what this all means rushes you in a single stunning blow. The war is back on, in earnest now. And it will be even harder than ever before with most of the world behind them. First things first, you must acquire the current situation with the engineering bay of this gigantic vessel. "I have work that needs doing Central. Show me the status of the workshop, and while we're at it tell me of Shen. Tell me what happened to that man."

Central doesn't miss a beat, waving off an attendant who was about to leap in to show you around. Bradford will handle this himself. He was always the voice of the Commander, who was an impersonal, impartial judge of every decision. It was always up to Bradford to get it across to the men. The two of you begin moving further down, below the barracks. "Shen wasn't getting any younger even at the beginning of the war. He found this old rust bucket ten years ago. It was shot down with a missile from NORAD, but we never recovered it. Neither did the aliens. He worked himself too hard to get it working. He just didn't wake up one morning."

>1. Then he was a fool.
>2. Tell Bradford about how you respected Shen.
>3. Say nothing.
>>
Oh yeah a note on the above. Since there was a tie I picked the one that I could milk the most, rather than ask for a tiebreaker or something else. This quest is meant to entertain, so I intend to do so, sorry if your choices got skipped over while I had to make a decision in the name of brevity.

Anyways, on with the show.
>>
>>45523184
>>3. Say nothing.
>>
>>45523184
Good man. Always looking for ways to give the men an edge they so desperately needed.

>>45523204
On my end I'm perfectly fine with it.
>>
>>45523184
respect the man
>>
>>45523184
>>
>>45523184

Unrelated note, but I sometimes liked to imagine the Commander wasn't so impersonal(At least in my games). Commander would be that one 'Rookie' who goes down to the memorial after every mission.

The old Vets' always wondered why the one Redshirt who never saw combat had the 1000 yard stare, but they never did find out....because well, XCOM2 says we lost.
>>
File: shen.jpg (158 KB, 1601x886) Image search: [Google]
shen.jpg
158 KB, 1601x886
>>45523247
>>45523251
>>45523311
>>45523373
It's been a long, long time since you've been able to speak with anyone from the organization. It fills you with a sense of joy, an odd feeling to be sure considering how you were feeling looking at how busy the bridge was. "Shen, he. I rather liked him. He understood me, knew my need to tinker rather than experiment. Vahlen always wanted things to be known, never wanting to feel the situation out. To gleam understanding from information only rather than just letting it unfold, or be examined. Even though she absolutely loved dissection. I preferred making things, alive. And Shen knew that best."

Central stops for a moment, just outside the door to engineering. "That's the way he was, wasn't he?"

And then the moment is ruined as something big and buzzing swoops by the moment the door is creaked open. Central looks into the shop, a young Asian woman moving between tables trying to find something. "Sorry Central! I got it working and it started looking for its owner!"

"Good luck with that," Central says, before the drone zooms by to you. Hovering just behind you, lenses zooming in and out.

>1. What is this thing, why is it following me?
>2. I must keep this machine.
>3. Central, who is this woman, and why is this workshop a mess?
>>
>>45523440

>That doesn't look like old SHIVs
>You're in charge of the workshops, miss...?
>>
>>45523440
>2. I must keep this machine.
We're naming it Little Sky
>>
>>45523440
4. Watch the robot. Examine it; let it unfold.
>>
>>45523440
>3. Central, who is this woman, and why is this workshop a mess?
>>
>>45523440
>>2. I must keep this machine.
>>
>>45523440
>>3. Central, who is this woman, and why is this workshop a mess?
>>
>>45523440
1 then 2
>>
>>45523482
>>45523497
>>45523498
>>45523514
>>45523519
You observe the machine as it makes its curious beeps and whirs around you, shifting and moving about your head. You see it is using a curious form of gravitation technology stolen from ADVENT. Quite impressive, because word about those who knew of the resistance cells swore that ADVENT tech and regular conventional were completely incompatible. From your own experiments that was your understanding too.

"Central, what is going on here? Why is this place so unkempt? Ma'am, you are? And, more importantly, what do I need to do to keep this thing?"

Central grins to one side, while the woman gives a broad smile. She extends her out to you, "Doctor Schaetzli, your work on the SHIV project is what inspired me when I helped my father make these things. We call them GREMLINs."

"Your fa-, ah. Now it all makes sense."

"Chief Engineer An-Yi Shen, at your service. You can call me Lily though. I speak English better than I do Mandarin."

>1. Ms. Shen, I would like to look at this things internals if I may.
>2. I'm going to need a workbench and a few hours, I have some toys to cook up.
>3. Central, I see ingenuity runs in the family with Lily here. I'm satisfied with the work being done, may I get debriefed?
>>
>>45523622
>>2. I'm going to need a workbench and a few hours, I have some toys to cook up.
>>
>>45523622
>1. Ms.Shen, I would like to look at this things internals if I may
>>
>>45523622

>It's a pleasure to make your acquaintance.
>May I look at the schematics?
>>
>>45523622
>>1. Ms. Shen, I would like to look at this things internals if I may.
>>
>>45523622
>3 followed by 2.
Our guy is gonna want to TRY and keep his new Rookies alive.
M-Maybe he can cook up some Armour of equipment to make them NOT suck at aiming Questmaster plz?
>>
>>45523673
>>45523680
>>45523692
You must know how it works. You have to see this thing in action for yourself, to upon its living form without all of the plating. Only then can you know what it truly is. Your eyes move to look at Shen clearly, "It's a pleasure to make your acquaintance. May I look at the schematics?"

"I don't see a reason why not. I'm sure you can help with some of the problems we've been facing. Is that alright with you Central?"

Bradford nods, quickly turning out of the room. "We will reach our target in three hours. You two have that much time to play with your toys."

As you begin breaking apart the GREMLIN, you notice much of the old SHIV design is in there. But it's been obviously miniaturized, with several highly sophisticated tools including a multi-purpose electric shock rod. It has the ability to disrupt magnetic bolts by forming a shield, it can send a bolt of energy through an enemy, living or cybernetic.

Shen looks proud at her work. "Yeah. It's been a hard road getting these things to work, but now we have dozens of them flying around."

1. Amazing. But I really must get to work on an item I've had in my head for a while now...
2. Let me attempt to help the stabilization of this device's hovering mechanism.
3. I should meet with Bradford right away, perhaps get acquainted with my squad.

>>45523707
>NOT suck at aiming Questmaster plz?

Oh, oh that's so adorable.
>>
>>45523797
We need to sorry what we're working with
>>
>>45523797
>1. Amazing. But I really must get to work on an item I've had in my head for a while now...
>>
>>45523797
>3. I should meet with Bradford right away, perhaps get acquainted with my squad.
>>
>>45523797
>Oh, oh that's so adorable.
It was worth a try boss. I want my Rookies to actually live. Guess we'll be Doctor "No Frags, All Bodybags" Schaetzli forever.
>>
>>45523860
>>45523876
Saying goodbye to Shen, you waste no time hustling your way up to the Commander Center. Bradford is looking an, odd mixture of characters. The original X-Com wouldn't allow such trophies, tattoos, and general odd monikers of this team. But here they all are, ready to go out uncaring of their appearance. It makes you feel comfortable though to see that many of them are not greenhorns.

"Excellent, you came just in time Doctor. Let me introduce you to the squad." Bradford then goes on to explain each of the troopers. You won't be leading them, but you will be on the only original member of X-Com. Though by no means are these rookies.

The first is a German woman, Sophia Wagner. She wears one of the Exalt Bandannas around her face, apparently taken from a member of X-Com she fought with. Even more strange is her skull facepaint. She has short red hair kept under a green hat, and looks at you grimly.

The next is a man named Barbatos Amadi, a Nigerian commando with Arabic ayahs in black ink circling his left arm. When ADVENT outlawed Abrahamic religions, there was a huge influx of recruits. It was known as the God War, and it did not end well. To see a survivor is remarkable.

Next to him is the last member of the Squad...

>>45523996
I'm not a cruel God, but that's not a bad attitude to go by.
>>
>>45524022
is Canadian yes?
>>
>>45523996
I want my Rookies to actually live, but it'll never happen*

>>45524022
You're probably pretty good tbf, but all my experience in XCOM tells me that Bodybags are more important than funny little things like ammo or Medkits.
At least one member of the team(Knowing XCOM it'll be the Crewchief of the Skyranger) will live long enough to bag the Rooks.
>>
>>45524022
Yaterina, singular name, no last name given. The youngest recruit, her father served in X-Com before her. She was raised in the organization that survived in Russia, a cell cut off from Central and the others. When contact was made, it wasn't long before the Russian Cell became overconfident. Quickly stretched out, she serves as one of the last few survivors here in the base. She has bright red mohawk, along with several punk tattoos around her arms.

"Alright Doctor, that's the squad. Now for your mission."

You nod to Bradford, "Of course Central. What's to be our first strike at ADVENT?"

"We're getting him back."

Silence pervades in the commander center as only the hum of machines remains, the clicking of keyboards stalling while the collective breath of the room - including yours - is saved.

Barbatos gives out a loud laugh that brings the room back to life. "The mythical commander? He died before the Acc"ord was struck."

"That's what I thought. But they captured him instead. And from what Tygan tells us, his theories might explain why we may have lost the war in the first place."

>1. What are we doing, precisely?
>2. Barbatos is right. How do we know this isn't a trap?
>3. Do we have any time to prepare further, or is our window limited?
>>
>>45524089
No Veterans of X-Com here. He'll show up, don't worry, but later.
>>
>>45524161
>3. Do we have any time to prepare further, or is our window limited?
>>
>>45524161
>>3. Do we have any time to prepare further, or is our window limited?
>>
>>45524161

>2. Barbatos is right. How do we know this isn't a trap?
>>
>>45524208
>>45524211
Bradford motions for one of the staff to bring up the Geoscape. The holographic display comes over the Eastern District. The Aliens were fed up and tired with the crisscrossing American states of the 13 colonies, turning them all into a singular district for easier management. Whole the gene-clinics started in Europe, its here where they've really taken off most in the world. People regularly go there not only for health fixes, but for cosmetic as well. It's hard to blame them, if this had come about naturally who would deny it? Who would refuse the chance to cure their cancer, or achieve forcible changes over their perceived imperfections such as baldness or infertility?

Bradford explains the mission clearly. The Commander is being shipped from an out of the way facility in Philadelphia to a high rise fortress at the ADVENT Administration Zone, formerly known as Manhattan. This will be the last chance to catch him before he's taken into the heart of ADVENT itself. It seems by putting him in such a nondescript place, X-Com wouldn't find him. This switch is happening on Reunification Day, celebrating the Great Accord. In that confusion, they want to move him...

"But we'll kick up even more chaos to cover our movement. Everything understood?"

>1. Understood, Central.
>2. I'd like a few minutes to shave, if I can Commander...
>3. Well then, guess we're doing this. Let's get at it.
>>
>>45524480
>>1. Understood, Central.
>>
>>45524480
>>2. I'd like a few minutes to shave, if I can Commander...
>>
>>45524480
>>2. I'd like a few minutes to shave, if I can Commander...
>>
>>45524480
>1. Understood, Central.
>>
>>45524553
>>45524594
You're left to stew on this information. The Commander's loss was felt throughout X-Com, and truly made an impact on the whole of the organization. Bringing him back might be what's necessary to cobble together a true resistance. You give Bradford a salute, before announcing, "Understood Central. If I may, Central, for the sake of my vanity ask for a few moments to shave before we head out?"

Bradford nods, "We'll have everything ready by the time you finish."

Sophia sharpens a machete that she then puts on her back sheathe. "Better hurry up boy and shear off those pubes on your chin. I don't want to wait forever."

Yaterina grins wide looking between you and her, "We're going to be the best of friends, aren't we all?"

It doesn't take long to work off your beard. It looked good in the outskirts of Houston, but now is the time to look professional. You almost forget the man underneath all that hair, once you're done. Memories of the old missions, when you were a young man, come back to you. This is a shitty time for a mid-life crisis huh? Well, you're here, nothing left to do but see this through.

>1. Talk with Barbatos before the mission.
>2. Talk with Yaterina before the mission.
>3. Talk with Sophia before the mission.
>4. Talk with the pilot before the mission.
>5. Tinker on your equipment before the mission.
>>
>>45524726
>5. Tinker on your equipment before the mission.
>>
>>45524726
>>5. Tinker on your equipment before the mission.
>>
>>45524726
>>5. Tinker on your equipment before the mission
Make sure our equipment in top condition
>>
>>45524726
>4 followed by 5.
You can tinker with your equipment after you talk to No Rank "Might be the only Survivor" Pilot and finish in the Skyranger, but you can't have a proper chitchat while he's busy flying.
>>
>>45524726
>>5. Tinker on your equipment before the mission.
>>
>>45524762
>>45524773
>>45524778
>>45524827
Your firearm has been your ally for too many years to count. It's an original 7x46mm UIAC assault rifle, standard to all members of X-Com in the past. Now people strap together whatever they can. Fortunately they have plenty of ammunition for you carry into battle. The rounds you carry are one of the few things that can pierce the ADVENT ballistic vests, and if it gets past that, the bastards bleed bad due to their hyperactive blood pumping systems. A mistake in their design, honestly.

Next comes your armor. You use some plates of alien alloy to line your vest and shoulder pads. The extra weight slows you down, but you've learned that even a single inch of this stuff can be the difference between life or death. You notice Sophia doing a similar thing herself, but she goes without shoulder pads. Only a chest piece of kevlar with a plate underneath. Risky.

The Firebrand picks up, with the team sitting in the bay silently as the world rumbles around their metal box.

>1. Take the time to sleep.
>2. Chat with one of the team members or all(Insert which).

The text limit is a brutal thing.
>>
>>45524948
>>2. Chat with one of the team members or all(Insert which).
Yaterina
>>
>>45524948
>2. Chat with all of the team members
>>
>>45524948
>2. Chat with one of the team members or all(Insert which).
all
>>
>>45525056
>>45525061
>>45525178
You don't want to get acquainted with these people. They will die. You will march off again, as you always have. You will leave them behind, and carry their dog-tags, if there is anything left of them. But aren't things different now? You feel like they are. It's time to speak to one of them, you're too alone. Too isolated. A mind filled with gears and sensors, unable to reach out and speak to anybody for so long. You turn to speak with Yaterina.

"It seems we are both survivors, ma'am."

"Oh da, that much is true. I've heard a bit about your, Doctor. A man sworn to one life and forced into another. A shame that it had to be this way for either of us."

"What did you do before X-Com?"

"Huh? Oh. Ha! X-Com has always been my life. But I figured if I could do whatever I wanted, I would like to be an artist. Don't know the first thing about art, but making something is always nice."

Yeah, it is. Too bad all you make are things that kill people. "Once this is over I'm sure you'll find a place to learn. What about you Barbatos, anything before the war?"

"I wanted to be a teacher," He answers, looking forlorn now. "I opened a Mosque, shortly after the war. A day before the ban. They came quick, I had no time to save anything. Or anyone."

Sophia starts laughing beneath her breath, "If you think any of this matters you're crazy. You have no reason to care about any of us, me especially. Let's get acquainted after we get our cherry's popped. What do you say?"

The German's words hit you especially hard. The rest of the trip is a long one filled with silence, and you regret reaching out at all...
>>
>>45525252
There is little time to worry about it once you get off the Firebrand. You land about four miles out from the city, taking time to march through what little wilderness is left outside of the city. ADVENT activity has been kicked up all over. ADVENT Enforcers line the streets, sometimes with Troopers following them up. Enforcers are unmodified police, armed with magnetic pistols locked to their DNA. They serve as a good bulk force to man the streets, leaving the shock soldiers in reserve for wherever they're needed. Thankfully, due to the nature of the Enforcer Program, the unmodified humans can be coerced to switch sides. A handful of them smuggle the squad in, letting them move carefully through the alleyways to the target.

There remains one major problem with the plan. There is a massive crowd between you and the gene clinic the Commander is supposedly sitting inside of. Barbatos starts to get anxious, this many eyes they're bound to notice the squad. You urge caution, knowing that Central wouldn't you send here without some sort of plan.

Bradford comms in from the base, "Hold up squad. We have a little surprise for ADVENT."
>>
>>45525271
A set of fireworks shoots into the sky, the barrage lighting up. Your GREMLIN ducks behind you for cover, but slowly inches out to see the bright lights are nothing to be afraid of. It's a signal of some kind, with the crowd moving as one against the surrounding ADVENT. Troopers and Enforcers alike are taken by a storm of small arms and angry rioters. The people start clawing their way downtown, throwing firebombs and shooting at anything near.

Two men pull down an Enforcer, knocking him out but letting him live. The crowd starts taking out X-Com patches and bandannas, yelling "Resist!" While they preform a bloody citizen battle with the ADVENT here.

>1. That was a dirty trick Bradford. We stay here and move once the dust settles, they won't think fo that.
>2. Let's move through the crowd as cover and get to the clinic
>3. Squad, follow me, we'll take a long way around the madness using to cover our advance.
>>
>>45525321
>>2. Let's move through the crowd as cover and get to the clinic
>>
>>45525321
>2. Let's move through the crowd as cover and get to the clinic
>>
>>45525321
>>2. Let's move through the crowd as cover and get to the clinic
>>
>>45525321
>3. Squad, follow me, we'll take a long way around the madness using to cover our advance

if we encounter any advent force they'll be too busy dealing with the crowd to send reinforcements and there's a good chance they'll be small as they will probably move units in the nearby area to deal with the crowd and leave a token force in our way
>>
File: Argentina Survivor.png (206 KB, 640x419) Image search: [Google]
Argentina Survivor.png
206 KB, 640x419
Shouldn't the survivor be Argentinian?
>>
>>45525346
>>45525385
>>45525402
"We're moving through the crowd," You utter, lifting up your heavy rifle up carrying it in front of you advancing. Barbatos yells, "You can't be serious!" Yaterina protests too, but Sophia follows you without question. Moving forward as one, you start scanning around for any contacts. There are plenty of dead on the ground, fighting for what they believe in. One of the Troopers gets off a burst of magnetic slugs, which tear through four rows of people sending them into bloody mist. Yaterina guns the soldier down in a hail of automatic fire. The squad doesn't stop for a second. They're not panicking, that's good. The standard Rookie towards the end of the war would freak out at the first sign of blood.

Bursting into the clinic is a doctor, standing there with hands raised.

"Don't shoot! I-I just work here!"

>1. Shoot.
>2. Knock her out.
>3. Order one of the soldiers to bind her.

>>45525441
eyyyy
>>
>>45525494
>>2. Knock her out.
>>
>>45525494
>2. Knock her out.
>>
>>45525494
2.Knock her out
>>
>>45525494
You move forward without wasting a minute at all. Using your rifle butt to hit her straight in the forehead. Having her fall flat on her back, out cold with a singular beat. Your eyes stare down, but don't have much time. Bradford feeds information into your ear, "Tygan is telling me to head the squad left." Left is a great big black door, and you motion for your drone to immediately go unlock it. The great blast seals fall back, showing what seems more to be a bodybag with a helmet than a man. "That's him," Yatrina says, moving forward. "That has to be him."

"Contact!" Barbatos yells, as the woman you knocked out moments before begins to change. A horrid stench leaks out from the cracking skin, flesh shifting out of proportion and beyond belief. Disgusting great black claws forming out from a sunken alien face as the eyes fall out and shift into the mass of loose muscle.

>1. Fall back!
>2. Unload everything into it.
>3. Grab the commander while the squad engages...
>>
>>45525638
>3. Grab the commander while the squad engages..
>>
>>45525638
>3. Grab the commander while the squad engages...
>>
>>45525638
>>3. Grab the commander while the squad engages...
>>
>>45525638
>>3. Grab the commander while the squad engages...
>>
>>45525672
>>45525684
>>45525694
Figuring out what's vital, and what is not, you move to unhook the Commander's body from the apparatus. The hiss of steam and the bark of static arcing out from the Commander's holding suit. Being careful not to be hit by one of these, grabbing him and lifting him up over your shoulder. The Squad unloads all that they have into this new enemy, draining their clips before going along with you. The creature seems to stop stirring, but its obvious something has gone out from unclenching the Commander from whatever was keeping him tied down will most likely bring reinforcements down on you. Barbatos gets onto you, "We could have used some help back there, Adolf. You want to go off half cocked be my guest but we need to keep each other guarded at all times. How else can we trust each other, you inconsiderate-"

Sophia speaks up, "Enough of your drama black man. We need to move. Firebrand will be here...now." A set of blue flares falls down from the hovering vehicle.

"Menace 1-5 you have Interceptors converging on your position. Get the commander and get out of there!"

You're the first to get hooked up, hooking your belt before being lifted up into the air. The commander weighing heavy on your shoulder. You hope this has all been worth it.

>And here, we will end. Give any comments about the Quest now, or forever hold your peace.
>>
>>45525862
i like it so far looking forward to more
>>
>>45525862
Barbatos a shit

Good quest, mate. Next thread when?
>>
>>45525948
I'm looking to make this an every Friday thing. Next thread is gonna focus on management, and leading the War itself. With the Survivor being the one to see it all carried out.
>>
>>45525995
so we become the Commanders go to combat officer involved in all the meetings
Thread replies: 118
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.