[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/5eg/ 5th Edition D&D - Character Backgrounds Edition
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 45
File: 1452818055243.jpg (85 KB, 544x700) Image search: [Google]
1452818055243.jpg
85 KB, 544x700
Obligatory 5eg copypasta follows:
>Official /5eg/ Mega Trove, contains all official 5e stuff:
https://mega.nz#F!UVkTnT5b!FJ34UZ98BMY2mEtexenS7g

>Pastebin with homebrew list, resources and so on:
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>OGL and SRD for 5e
http://dnd.wizards.com/articles/features/systems-reference-document-srd

>February Unearthed Arcana is Psionics
http://media.wizards.com/2016/downloads/Psionics_and_Mystic_V2.pdf

Share your character backgrounds, I don't care how shitty they are
>>
File: 1445387529585.jpg (97 KB, 500x750) Image search: [Google]
1445387529585.jpg
97 KB, 500x750
Character for Curse of Strahd
Artemis Andreste was born in the port city of Luskan, otherwise known as the City of Sails. Coming from a human family of no standing, he spent most his early years living day to day, scrounging for food and doing illicit odd-jobs. Only after meeting a wizard from the Arcane Brotherhood did his luck change. He tricked the wizard into taking him on as an apprentice and moved into the Host Tower of the Arcane.

Under the tutelage of the master wizard, Artemis was given all basic necessities. This wasn't enough for him however and he used his natural guile to pocket and sell what he could from the tower. This went on for a while until Artemis got too cocky and made a mistake. That's when the wizards of the Brotherhood caught on and captured him stealing.

Rather than kill Artemis the wizards decided for a very different form of punishment. They cursed Artemis to walk Toril as an embodiment of his wickedness, effectively turning him into a Tiefling. The wizard then told Artemis that the only way to lift the curse was to preform enough good deeds to make up for the ill will he had caused.

Cursed and banished from Luskan, Artemis turned to Phlan since it was currently being reclaimed and in dire need of adventurers. He figured that was a good place to start doing "good" but once he arrived he was quickly overwhelmed by a strange mist...
>>
File: fishing.gif (2 MB, 287x318) Image search: [Google]
fishing.gif
2 MB, 287x318
Gwynn was a guy

He decided he wanted to be an adventurer

He made a pact with some eldritch being and became one
>>
Elven druid. He used to be a pompous prideful asshole for the first hundred years or so of his life. He ticked off a fey lord who decided to fuck with his vanity and remove his face. It still technically exists, but nobody can see it. Learning his lesson he fucked off to nowhere and ended up joining the postmasters' guild. A worldwide guild of mailmen who take their job very seriously. Now he's all hunched and weird and wears a wooden mask to hide his non-face. Most people are just really weirded out by him and even other druids are kind of off-put by his mannerisms. Despite his eccentric behavior he's actually devilishly clever and brutal and does whatever it takes to accomplish his goals, whether it's grovelling in the dirt, doing heroic deeds, or standing idly by as others are hurt. When he's afforded the opportunity however, he enjoys taking the prideful down a peg, just like he was.
>>
Half-elf rogue mastermind from the streets trying to obtain enough coin to convince the family of the noble girl he loves to give him her hand in marriage.
>>
>>45367527
Too much.

>>45367802
Too little.

>>45368330
Too edgy.

>>45368464
Fine.
>>
>>45367491
Here's my EK (Magic Initiate feat, Sage Background):

Chauncey was born to a poor family in a small village, but he always aspired to greater things. Never afraid of hard work, he grew strong working as a lumberjack, and spent every silver he could afford to on books.
Eventually, Chauncey managed to secure admission to a Wizard Academy on a wrestling scholarship. However, soon after he completed his Master's degree in Magical Investiture (with a minor in Dwarven & Gnomish Law), Chauncey received word that his village was being threatened by a tribe of orcs from the nearby swamp. As soon as he heard the news, Chauncey left the Academy in order to save his home.
Although the horde was beaten back, abandoning his studies without formally requesting a sabbatical had irreparably damaged Chauncey's academic standing. He was refused re-entry to his studies, and was forced to turn to adventuring to make ends meet. His goal is to repair his reputation through heroics, in order to eventually be able to complete his wizarding studies.
>>
cleric who grew up as a blacksmith but couldn't quite get the hang of it, had his town saved by a high ranked cleric and aspired to become like him

his blacksmithing background comes in play because now he makes metal-work religious art
>>
File: thewall.png (317 KB, 371x366) Image search: [Google]
thewall.png
317 KB, 371x366
THE WALL was once a warforged soldier, completely without personality or free will.

After the war he was sold to a dwarven family who gave him to their sickly daughter to tinker with.

The daughter became a great mechanic, and was determined to make THE WALL the most indestructible robot ever created, so something of hers would last after she was gone.

She died, so THE WALL now wanders the world, searching for ways to make himself truly indestructible so his creator is not forgotten
>>
>>45368616
reminds me of that comic with the monster that guards the grave of his human friend
>>
File: 1421818772984.jpg (58 KB, 672x950) Image search: [Google]
1421818772984.jpg
58 KB, 672x950
Lugo Goldswitch was discovered to have the potential for magic at a young age. The Gnome Elders always made sure to catch potential Wizards young. His schooling was begun in earnest, and he loved it all. The reading, the study, the practice of magic, it was all a whirlwind of fascination for him!

Even to this day, Lugo remembers the defining moment of his Novice days. His instructor, Diggit Sparkus, instructed Lugo to send a ray of fire at him. Lugo, being a good little Novice, complied. And with a flick of his wrist, Professor Sparkus made this streak of flame dissipate mid-air! Counterspell. An amazing technique, and it fascinated Lugo to no end.

From that day forth, Lugo devoted as much of his studies as he could to the School of Abjuration. The power to deny others' magic, to deny their strength, called to him. When he graduated from his School, he write a treatise on the subject.

Now, Lugo has decided that he's spent long enough studying. It's time to go out into the world, to flex his muscles, and to see what secrets of magical lore waits to be discovered!
>>
File: magicknight.jpg (142 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
magicknight.jpg
142 KB, 1024x768
>>45368557
Forgot this
>>
>>45368464

Actually, speaking of this, how do I get a creature to give me cover reliably. One of my abilities later on lets me redirect damage meant for me to a creature granting cover but I don't really know how to get that.
>>
>>45367491
Rhogar Twice-Stabbed, 3rd level barbarian. Former pirate. Trying to stick on the straight and narrow after he received word that the uncle who raised him like a son died. On a journey to claim the body so that the traditional flaming boat funeral can happen. Which is problematic, seeing as the note informing him where his uncle died is written in elvish, and he doesn't speak the language.

Recently killed a drow priestess by dropping the body of her second in command from 70 feet above her.
>>
>>45368856
A "creature" can be another PC
>>
>>45367491

Nilya was a barmaid, at the smoking goblin, a tavern in a port town. She had always had a temper. One day an elven pirate came to drink with his crew. He was interested in her fire and offered he a chance to join his crew. She accepted. He taught her how to use arms and sail, and she fucked his brains out. After five years, he began to notice the signs of her human mortality, dropped her off at a random port town, picked up a new girlfriend and left. Now her goal is to adventure until she can buy a ship and hire her own pirate crew, and hunt down that elf and burn his ship. She doesnt want him dead, she just wants to fuck up his life.
>>
>>45367491
>Forever DM
>Character decided to become a villain because who cares, he'll be dead on combat round 3 anyway
>>
>>45367491
Tesseron was orphaned at a young age and taken in by a priest of Helm, his parents, merchants, slain by bandits who were driven off by a lone traveler. The traveler was a Paladin of Helm, who took the child to be raised by church.

As Helm waned in popularity, the church had fewer and fewer worshipers, although it was never threatened in any meaningful way, it, frankly, was a boring life. Tesseron practiced divine magic, as well as more mundane curatives, gathering healing herbs and tending the ill were the few responsibilities he really had. Most of his spare time was spent in martial training, overseen by the paladin, when he was available.

Upon reaching adulthood, the church largely unvisitied by the populace, Tesseron joined the army, working his way through the ranks, his skills with healing magics, the blade, and otherwise tending the wounded made him valuable.
>>
>>45368464
So Aladdin?
>>
File: farah image.jpg (51 KB, 262x405) Image search: [Google]
farah image.jpg
51 KB, 262x405
>>45367491
>Share your character backgrounds, I don't care how shitty they are
Farah used to be a small-time criminal and street urchin. During one of the annual purges her particular group of squatters ran afoul of a drunk group of guardsman, causing her to die while protecting her friends. Alas, The Light had other plans for her, and the next sunrise saw her wake up on a garbage dump, restored and brimming with power. Since then she travels the world, preaching The Light wherever she goes so that others may see the same truths as she.

UDL is such a fun Patron if you don't go with the retarded "Contract with a Plane lol" default.
>>
File: 1399435383541.jpg (261 KB, 900x1350) Image search: [Google]
1399435383541.jpg
261 KB, 900x1350
>>45367491
Modo Gebbedo Garrick Nackal was an inquisitive rock-gnome studying tinkering when his clans ancestry came under druidic investigation.
Learning that he has some forest gnome heritage, and from some twist of lunar bureaucracy he has to serve 100 lunar years as a druid in a backwater frontier town.
He took to it quickly, but prefers a more indulgent lifestyle and will partake the boozing and carousing known of by college students and adventurers everywhere
>>
File: 1450016571091.jpg (174 KB, 550x1054) Image search: [Google]
1450016571091.jpg
174 KB, 550x1054
>>45367491
Half-elf Paladin belonging to an order of anti-mages. Separated (probably at swordpoint) from her family and raised in the Order's teachings. Brought up and trained in the paladin "branch" of the Order, but ended up getting relegated to missionary work and charity like your typical cleric; as soon as an opportunity to actually use her training (the adventure hook) came up, she jumped at the chance.

Haven't gone too much more into it. Only a session in so far.
>>
>>45367491
Rogun Bloodhammer is a ferocious dwarf fighter who hails from a fallen noble family. His sole goal in life is to return his family to good standing, and he seeks the wealth, power, and fame required to do so by any means necessary.
Prior to turning to adventuring, he'd worked as a mercenary, and had the misfortune of losing his entire squad when a raid on an orc fort went bad.
>>
>>45367491
About to run my first dungeon ever, don't want to give too much away because my party reads /tg/; but any tips for running a dungeon?
>>
My characters' first dungeon is a local sewer. What would be a good boss for some starter adventurers?
>>
>>45371430
Ooze.
>>
>>45371404
try to keep in mind how the occupants of the dungeon relate to each other. Would they help each other if in danger? What would happen if one of the bad-guys from area 12 fled to area 14 in the middle of a fight?

Also try not to fudge it for or against the players, once you've got your notes together just adjudicate the rules. If the players have an easy time of it, that's fine. If they have a rough time of it, that's fine, too. Adjust accordingly for the next adventure, not on-the-fly. Players have a sixth sense about DMs spoonfeeding them stuff.
>>
>>45368856
Creatures are the most common source of half-cover and are said to do so in the rules for cover, though not emphasized enough for my tastes. Any attack that has another creature in its path is going to be subject to it.
>>
>>45371430
Rat king.
>>
>>45371430
Shit Elemental
>>
Sir Hector is a Paladin, but he used to be a bad man. Born poor, but not penniless, he grew up in the shadow of a large city, and as a young man, due to his size at the end of an explosive growth spurt, quickly turned to a life of crime for coin nd excitement by becoming an enforcer for a low level street gang.
One evening, a collection went wrong...almost as wrong as it can go. He found himself beaten bloody and within and inch of his life and managed to drag himself up the stairs into a church, where he was nursed back to health.
As his wounds healed he took solace in his conversations with the priest who attended him, discussing philosophy, religion, and the nature of things.
Once healed, he decided his gifts- his natural strength and determination- were far better put to use being a champion of the light than a servant of darkness.
But the path of the righteous is beset on all sides by the machinations of the wicked, and Sir Hector, now a knight of the order of Dawnwardens, he finds himself put in situations that too often call upon the use of his...old ways. A friend and adventuring companion of his, making note of his conflict, took to calling him Half-moon, first at jest, but it stuck a chord with the warrior, so he has made it his own, adopting his arms to bear such an image.
Sir Hector tries his best to adhere to the virtuous path of a Dawnwarden, but realizes that sometimes to put on the light you must first walk through the darkness.
(Oath of Devotion human Paladin, criminal background)
>>
File: 1402430130050.jpg (125 KB, 500x625) Image search: [Google]
1402430130050.jpg
125 KB, 500x625
>>45371404
Plan, plan, plan. Planning might be a waste of time out in the open world, where players can do basically whatever they want, but in a dungeon you are in near total control. Map out a non-linear dungeon, if only crudely. Know what will happen in each room and passageway (if anything), and keep in mind the multiple paths the players may approach from. Think of what the dungeon denizens would likely be doing, or would likely do if they noticed the adventurers. The process of planning this out will tell you 90% of what you need to know.

Also, the DMG has some robust dungeon generating tables if you need some inspiration. I like to use them a little bit, and then let what I have down inspire the rest. Keeps my dungeons both varied and logical.

Also >>45371468
is wrong on the second part. You're running your first dungeon ever. You very well may have made one or more significant miscalculations in the difficulty of traps or encounters. If a fight's supposed to be on the easy side and it's kicking their asses, soften the blows a little bit. If a boss is going down easy, maybe toughen it up a tad. And for god's sake, if you made up your own puzzle and the party can't figure it out for the life of them, just let the next mildly clever idea a player has succeed.
>>
File: 1455162812588.jpg (118 KB, 679x1000) Image search: [Google]
1455162812588.jpg
118 KB, 679x1000
So I see the opinion around various sites that Eldritch Knights are kind of mediocre in every aspect, is there anyone here who has played a EK for a while that can tell me of their experience, if it is as meh as i've heard what imporvements to it should i consider to ask my DM?

have some image i got from a character art thread a few days ago
>>
>>45372260
Fighter base is solid enough to carry any flaws it has (this is true for most base classes with mediocre subclasses, honestly). Throw magic utility on top of being a master of weaponry. It's fine in play--great, even, only second in potential power to Battle Masters and far and away the most versatile fighter archetype.
>>
>>45372260
You know, I had an Eldritch Knight player in my first group to play 5e. It was pretty strong, though his damage wasn't the BEST considering the other choices were Champion and Battlemaster, which both have so many damage-enhancing abilities, but it was certainly on-par with the rest of the party, and the player really enjoyed it. Not to mention the versatility and whatnot.

It's certainly not 'meh' in my humble opinion.

[sub]Though we also had a player pick Beast Master and he also seemed perfectly viable up to level 12 where his character died, so maybe we're some sort of weird anomaly group?[/sub]
>>
>>45371639
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gtL4rBzEgug
>>
>>45372260

It's a fighter that can cast Haste on itself and has proficiencies in Con saves so they can keep up the buffs. I really don't know what more you could want.
>>
>>45372260
I've seen the 3 PHB fighter archetypes played, and EK is far the most tanky of them, EK can survive a lot of stuff being thrown at them, they can get pretty nasty if you can assure enemies attack them (with sentinel, basically).
They're quite versatile too, they're just not as bursty as BM and not as unstoppable(NoRestNeeded) as champions.
>>
>>45372362
RIP BBCode
>>
>>45372362
Most conversations about the "viability" of Eldritch Knights and Beast Masters and such revolve around number-crunching and char-op concerns, not the actual usability of a character using the archetypes in question. The only two surviving original characters in my group are a Circle of the Land Druid and an Eldritch Knight Fighter, both of whom have been good-but-not-dominant in most situations.
>>
>>45372422
It's amusing, because I had a Circle of the Land druid as well, and the sheer versatility they brought to the group really made them stand out as 'useful' in comparison to everyone else.

They have SO MANY UTILITY SPELLS
>>
File: jaFSOk8.jpg (47 KB, 764x955) Image search: [Google]
jaFSOk8.jpg
47 KB, 764x955
>>45368841
Fuck you dude. Does this go in my Dudes in Armor folder or my Magic Users folder? I have no idea.

Shit eating cockgarglers like you deserve to be gassed.

Pic related, it's you.
>>
>>45372299
>>45372362
>>45372386
>>45372396
All right cool, thanks for the clarity about EK guys.
>>
File: Slav Drow.jpg (793 KB, 1332x3858) Image search: [Google]
Slav Drow.jpg
793 KB, 1332x3858
>>45367491
Drow Cleric looking for gender changing magical items effective enough that he can rise to power in drow society without knowledge of his past self, get into secret meetings with the houses in power, and kill all of them
Or just a mcguffin powerful enough to do that without subterfuge, but he's smart enough to realize that's a bit less likely to get his hands on.
Give 0 shits about male rights or anything like that, he just wants to murder everyone currently in power.
lolth is midly ok with this, but is watching.

Kind of like the pic related in which he thinks all (at least elf) societies are as matriarchal and fuckwad crazy as the drow.
>>
>>45372422
Yeah, most people on /tg/ and in 5e conversations in general seem to forget that viability is a low bar to meet in 5e. All you need is a 16 starting in your main stat and to not dump con to make you dead average in terms of survivability (a 14 or 16 in your secondary stat will do you good enough for for monks, barbs, and pals). Base classes carry almost all the survival weight for your character, proficiency bonus keeps you scaling even with slow stat growth, and subclasses provide a bit more power but usually unique specialization and abilities that aren't necessarily related to combat.

For the shit some people give it, as a system where you can roll with a character and not worry that your lack of micro-optimizations will fuck you over, 5e is fucking fantastic.
>>
File: 1450354812267.png (29 KB, 183x238) Image search: [Google]
1450354812267.png
29 KB, 183x238
So, running an Arcane Trickster in OotA, and I'm fairly certain the DM fucked up a bit.

He gave me a spellbook that contains all the first level spells for wizard.
Like, straight up all first level wizard spells prepared at any given time while I have the book, -and- the normal spells I get as an Arcane trickster just in case.

I can't figure out how this should work, I don't want to overshadow the actual wizard/sorc in the party with how much I can cast.
I'm thinking it's I have to prepare the spells like a normal wizard does, but 1/3rd my rogue class instead of full, and forever only get 2 extra lvl 1 spell slots (lvl 1 wizard standard) if I've got the book -out- and reading from it

actually, speaking of rogues and classes, is there anything I can multiclass/dip into as a AT rogue and do good? Or should just keep on trucking in my main class.
>>
File: Iliira 01.png (536 KB, 686x963) Image search: [Google]
Iliira 01.png
536 KB, 686x963
>>45367491
Iliira of Gell's Pass.
CG Drow Rogue (thief), Criminal (burglar)

>Short version, the one I write on my character sheet
Born on the surface of the world, and raised by a good human man, Iliira knows nothing of the wicked ways possessed by her underground kin. She wishes only to live the centuries of life yet ahead of her to their fullest - and maybe make a little coin along the way...
>>
File: Three Thieves.png (584 KB, 1016x5881) Image search: [Google]
Three Thieves.png
584 KB, 1016x5881
>>45372747
>Long version
"Day in the life" style short-story written to get a feel for the character. Note that this story takes place about 5 years before Iliira's "start", however.
>>
>>45372510
I would definitely say 5e is great for getting new people into the hobby.

Some things like fantasy craft might have more customisability and more rules heavy ways to cover more situations/reflect character customisation more while keeping decent balance but 5e does a great job of bringing people together and learning to roleplay.
>>
>>45372705
As raw, AT's can't use spellbooks for casting spells, you would need to dip a level in wizard to use the spellbook.
But since your GM was nice enough to give one to you, i would think the best way to handle it is you just know a lot of spells and change the known spells number to be your spells memorized limit.
Basically you would be more versatile now, with a lot of spells that don't need to be enchantment and illusion, but still would have the limitations of being a 1/3 caster class when it comes to actually casting them.

And about multiclassing, wizard levels are basically the only thing it could work for you, but imo the lv 20 ability rogues get is just way too strong to pass.
>>
Gruumsh is a half orc barabarina that grew up in the pit fighting ring. When a bad bout ended with one of his eyes ripped from his skull, the promoters decided to capitalise on it and started promoting the beastial warrior as Gruumsh the Orcish god of war to draw a crowd. The caried on for years with Gruumsh surviving every bout despite his injuries. Scarred, tortured and slowly losing his grip on reality, he began to beleive that he actaullly was Gruumsh, reborn. A poorly built shakle pin led to Gruumsh coming free and the ineveitable slaughger of all around him during his escape let to far to much attention from the forces in the city the travelling fighters where in at the time. Which ended with him locked in a wizards dungeon.
Now free he plans to enact Gruumshs will by conquerings the know world.
>>
>>45372901
>level 20
i'm level 3 right now, I will literally never reach 20 with this group.

mostly since I always feel midly dissapointed at the end of every session

Wizards are the only thing? that's kind of disappointing.
I've got 18 in dex and 16 in Cha from racial stuff, nothing else would benefit me?
>>
>>45368528
huh. i guess when written in words the way it is it sounds kinda edgy. mostly it's just smelling bad and delivering mail.
>>
>>45372974
Each level you dont take rogue is sneak attack damage you're losing, and you even get a way to activate sneak attack yourself with mage hand later on.
I mean, you could get bard levels with all that charisma, i thought you had only dex and int high since its the only thing you need for AT.
Get some lore bard levels and you can become a very versatile support and damage dealer, with some sneak attacks and cutting words.
I mean, you could even get fighter levels ffs, i just don't see much synergy with AT besides wizard.
>>
>>45367491
Coremar was an Elf Paladin who used to run around playing Knight with his best friend in the forest when they were little. He saw Paladins as his heroes, exemplifying goodness and righteousness.

Eventually he joined the Order, squared up, and completed his training. He never forgot his friend, and on his first solo mission he ran into a party of mercenaries aiming to complete the same goal. One of them was the old childhood friend.
>>
>>45367491
I haven't had a character in a good while, but here's the NPC the party "adopted" in and became bros with:

Persephone, who is a halfling cleric to the god of the underworld. She likes death stuff quite a bit too, which led her to learning necromancy.

Unfortunately because of that she got kicked out of that church's priesthood, and was cast away. Although some time after that she received powers from her deity, even powers related to necromancy itself. She then went on, following clues and prophecies of her god, which then led her to an artifact long forgotten, and the other players.
>>
>>45372974
Arcane Tricksters are rogues that have some magical utility. You can multiclass into a wizard for more utility (Any other caster class and you're juggling two caster stats.) If you wanted to become more combatant, there are some options, like going Fighter for five levels to get Action Surge, a weapon style, extra attack, and Weapon Bond (assuming Eldritch Knight.) However, this is a little bit sub-par compared to just staying a Rogue, since high level class creatures tend to build on low level ones, and are pretty good.

Single classes are strong in 5e.

What do you out of your character? There's no real 'be better button'.
>>
What would you say the best Uncommon magical item is? I'm going over the list and I think Winged Boots is pretty much the most versatile choice.
>>
>>45372467
Create a gish folder yo.
>>
File: Robeandwizardhat.png (48 KB, 388x268) Image search: [Google]
Robeandwizardhat.png
48 KB, 388x268
>>45373911
well, 90% of my problem is every other member of the party (in some case literally) jumps to do skill checks before any other member, and usually roll fairly damn high.

Since the DM is very odd in the way that he does things, that leaves me with searching for and disarming traps because "rouges are good at that", and essentially the only non-spell ranged damage in the party (a single non magic shortbow and sneak attack)
I guess I just wanna do more shit that half the party hasn't done already.

Probably just gonna multiclass into wizard and convince the current wizard (who seems to hate his current character with a passion, it's not even named) to re-roll into a bard or something so I don't have to tell him what half his spells are at any given time.
Is there any recommended levels i should dip into Wiz, or has nobody yet been retarded enough to try ArcaneTrickster3+/Wizard?+
>>
>>45368798
WHY DOESN'T HE HAVE SHOES?
>>
>>45374030
cause it's a halfling.
>no weirdly shapped and oddly sized head
>no shoes
>not partially singed/on fire
yeah, halfling.
>>
>>45373944
Alchemy Jug. Two gallons of Mayonnaise per day is just too versatile to pass up. Every group should have one.
>>
>>45373944
I'm rather fond of the broom of flying
but then again I think of create water as Aguamenti and levitate as Wingardium Leviosa sometimes so I'm a little biased on that front.

In all seriousness I have no idea, don't use a lot of the base magical items outside standards like +1 shit and bags of holding.
>>
>>45367491
Randall the Wolfborn
A young human monk raised by wolves before he was taken in by a nearby monastery of the sun soul tradition.
He was impatient and brash most of the time and was thus stuck at learning to use the sun soul and light from within untill he found a secret manual on forming a pact with the undying light.
>>
>>45371009
Thats 80% the same backstory of the paladin in my game.
>>
Question for you all, I will be playing in a very low magic campaign this weekend (No casters full or partial, only magic items in late game, however there will be some creatures with magic abilities and I think the BBEG will be a Lich).

What are some strategies I can employ outside of what abilities my fighter will have? I already plan on making copious use of ball bearings, caltrips, and oil.

Thanks.
>>
Which class is best and why is it Warlock
>>
>>45367527
Got bored a paragraph in

>>45367802
Your character has no motivation to adventure

>>45368330
Crawling in my skin
My face it will not heal

>>45368464
I generally dislike goldhungry motivations as a rule but it's fine

>>45368557
I'm not convinced it's an entirely logical chain of events but otherwise it's good

>>45368615
A little weak but acceptable

>>45368616
I didn't like it at first but it grew on me

>>45368798
3 boring paragraphs of shit I don't care about and no motivations

>>45368860
Sounds like it could maybe work although it'd be more interesting if the note was something more esoteric than elvish

>>45369002
I guess it's okay but I don't think I'd personally allow it at my table, that's just preference though

>>45369847
3 boring paragraphs of shit I don't care about and no motivations

>>45370459
Are you gonna throw a fit if/when your character dies that they would come back a second time? If not, I like it

>>45370583
No motivations AND I hate gnomes, with the added bonus of actively having motivations NOT to adventure

>>45371009
No motivations forgiven because antimages give me a hard on

>>45371371
Simple but good

>>45371934
You're literally a character from Bleach
(I'd allow it though assuming you're not anime as fuck IRL too)

>>45372500
Probably my least favorite ITT

>>45372747
No motivations

>>45372763
.... I'm not reading this

>>45372954
Chaotic ebul pls no

>>45373098
Weh

>>45374422
No motivations and minor risks of both yiff and edginess
>>
>>45374866
Well you're kind of a bitchy faggot, aren't you
>>
>>45367491
Elf Bard whose older brother was prophecized to be the chosen one. As a result, his older brother recieved all sorts of formal training while the bard was generally ignored. After the elder told the Bard's girlfriend she was destined to be the chosen one's consort, the bard decided that his village can burn in Elf hell and went off too become a rock star/adventurer.
>>
>>45374866
>kind of my least favorite
thanks for the input.

>literally has a TL:DR and weh
oh, nevermind, you're just a little shit.
>>
>>45374704
Try and make as many pulley systems as you can. Pulleys will change your life
>>
File: QQnOmwph.jpg (194 KB, 1024x749) Image search: [Google]
QQnOmwph.jpg
194 KB, 1024x749
Your DM is running a homebrew setting, and he tells you:
>no tieflings
>no dragonborn
>no UA/EE races

>warlocks, half-orcs, and gnomes are allowed, but "we'll have to talk about it"
>everything else core/UA/SCAG/EE fine

What do you think?
>>
>>45375068

I roll to seduce the GM
>>
>>45375068
Personally I wouldn't touch it, or at least be highly suspicious. It's one thing to not allow extra stuff, another to ban base game material.

Sounds like a case of way too particular tastes. I generally distrust DMs who ban things based solely on their taste.

I'd still play, though.
>>
>>45374725
I love my warlock.

I just got level 3 and choose the weapon. Shit is too cool to pass up.

My question is if I stick to warlock exclusively, or if I just dip into one of the warrior types for a level or 2? I plan on going heavy in melee (18 dex and 18 cha and 17 con atm) but I am not sure if I should, or how heavily I should invest. Some of the later level bonuses seem pretty sick, and with the total level cap being 20, I risk losing out on sick bonuses.
>>
>>45375068
Don't see the problem.
If something doesn't fit a setting, it just doesn't.
>>
>>45372260
I play one, it's pretty fun. Spell progression is slow but you can have tons of utility with cantrips and a familiar (if you so choose), and Elemental Evil and SCAG added a couple of great spells for EKs as well.
>>
>>45375101
Pure Warlock is so cash. Try it out, having all those eldritch invocations are so much fun. Just try it. I myself am trying to make a Warlock/Bard, running on max charisma and some strength bonus. But I'd never crossclass a monk, those ki-points are too valuable to me and my combos.
>>
>>45375068
My only restrictions when I DM is no UA (unless you talk to me first and explain why no other class could possibly work) and no characters with a "fuck the party" type attitude. The latter has never come up but DnD is a co-op game not a PvP game.

Also, I understand why people can hate on tieflings, dragonborns, and warlocks, but I personally enjoy seeing people play these races. Especially when they play the races well and don't become that player.
>>
>>45372467
Put it in your "salty faggot" folder then
>>
>>45375101
>>45375147
Forgot to say, you picked pact of blade? Then you have Dark One's Blessing. Pretty fucking neat, I'll tell you. Also, pick the invocation that makes you deal dice+charisma mod with eldritch blast (Improved Eldritch Blast?), it synergises so wonderfully with Dark One's Blessing. I hit with a guaranteed 6+ dmg, even on nat1 dmg rolls (assuming your charisma is 20). There are also many other opportunities with Warlocks, not just battles. Use intimidation and bluffs, for example. Become a diplomat!
>>
>>45375101
Taking 2 levels of fighter would get you some good stuff for a Bladelock (a little self-healing, action surge, etc) but there's nothing wrong with just staying Warlock either
>>
File: Marthal Kalithum The Gladiator.jpg (15 KB, 236x303) Image search: [Google]
Marthal Kalithum The Gladiator.jpg
15 KB, 236x303
>>45367491
>Goliath Gladiator

Born high atop the mountains, young Marthal was an exceptional fighter and defender of his tribe. Though the rare white dragon hunts the tribe would embark on would provide entertainment (usually at the cost of many lives), Marthal grew tired of fighting the same old bears and other mountain creatures. So he said his goodbyes to his tribe and ventured down the mountain to fight greater foes and to hone his skills to become a legendary warriors.

The first city he came across happened to have an arena which hosted many fights on a daily basis for many prizes. Though Marthal has no care for coinage, the prospect of fighting new foes every day enticed him and he joined the ranks of the gladiators for many months. At first the new humanoid foes he fought proved troublesome, but as he improved his gear and his skills, he became a famed gladiator within that arena.

However, despite this new fame, Marthal once again found himself becoming bored after fighting so many foes and rarely feeling a challenge anymore. At this point he happened upon a strange Gnome who claimed to be a part of a group of "adventures" called the "Emerald Enclave". Though these titles first seemed strange to Marthal he soon began to become intrigued by the stories the small creature told of these adventures hunting down strong beasts and other great and powerful beings and defeating them. He joined this faction of adventures in order to become more famous and more powerful, and continues to adventure with them to this day.

Marthal is currently in an OotA campaign, which has been a very enjoyable experience.
>>
As a DM with zero minis, what's the best way to start? I've never gotten into them due to limited budget but I've got a little extra and have no idea where to look.
>>
>>45375256
If your looking to buy cheap minis either browse online or go to some place like sci-fi city. They sell alot of minis and usually you can find some packs of 3 or 4 monsters for like 3 dollars. Of course you also dont have to have minis per sey. Theater of mind and if needed some printed off pictures for visual aid can be very effective.

Also if you are on a super strict budget you can buy mini bases for cheap and then tape or glue pictures to them to represent creatures or NPCs or whatever.
>>
Is it worth it to get SCAG for the extra mechanics? I homebrew my settings, but I'd feel bad for not supporting supplements.
>>
>>45367491
Tfw you will never run your hands up a drow's legs and steal his panties
>>
>>45375256
I use bottlecaps... Not good looking, but is cheap as fuck.
>>
>>45374725
Warlock sucks. No fun spells, no spell slots to dick around with unless you want to stop everyone for an hour every two steps. Sorclock is the shit though.
>>
>>45375358
The extra mechanics are like 5% of the book. Just print them out, they're all at the end.
>>
>>45375183
>>45375208
Neat, thanks for the input. I'll probably dip in 2 levels of warrior to get some combat benefits then. Would also fit the overall concept of a guy who wanted to be a swordmaster, but it took too long, so he struck a deal with a demon to cheat himself to more power.
>>
A Half-Elf bastard born to a human mother, unwanted by both parents, he was dropped of at a convent at as a baby. Raised the local nuns, when a travelling peddler come to offer his wares he escaped with him.
The peddler turned out to be much more then that and thought him the beginnings of magic, combat and most importantly swindling, conning and deception.
When an extremely lucrative oppurtunity arose for his master to betray him, he could only just escape with his life. Using his acquired skills as an expert conman, the Half Elf Ba(rd)sterd conned his way into a small peerage as a fake Baronet.
>>
>>45367491
I've read through the rules for 5e and really like it. Want to give it a try. Thing is, I'd like my setting to be magic lite, but it doesn't seem like the game supports that. Seems like almost all classes use magic, and the few that don't have the option to use magic. So how do I do magic lite? How would I make a world like, say, asoiaf, where magic is a thing, but most people never see it, and those who use it don't use it quite so ubiquitously?
>>
What's better for a melee EK, Haste or Fly? It seems like a shame to give up either option really, Fly might be a bit more niche but is such a good option to have in your back pocket.
>>
Posted on the old thread first, oops. Oh well.
Need help /5eg/

>Arcane investigation police unit of big city x inadvertantly pisses of one of my PCs
>PC proceeds to nearby small town and does a bunch of chaotic evil while claiming he works for said police unit

The unit never leaves the city, is this grounds for the town just assuming he was a random crazy person? What do you think would happen?
>>
Anyone have a solid suggestion for a tragic arane discovery.

I'm making a blind bladesinger wizard and I want to tie in an accident/discovery as the reason for this blindness.
>>
>>45375567
haste. all the way haste.
>>
>>45375555
Unless you want to do a lot of restrictions (and possibly a lot of refluffing Paladin and Ranger), 5e isn't really the system for that. Green Ronin's Song of Ice and Fire RPG is a pretty easy system to learn though and a much better Westeros simulator.
>>
>>45375567
Depends on your party.

If you have a caster in your pocket throwing Haste, pick Fly because it'll allow you to save your own ass.

Otherwise, if you don't have a buddy constantly Hasting you, go with Haste. You'll use it more than you ever would Fly, and you'll tear through shit with it.
>>
File: 1455231239502.jpg (75 KB, 550x449) Image search: [Google]
1455231239502.jpg
75 KB, 550x449
>>45375404
>have the best cantrip in the game
>only spell you need is hex
>>
>>45375574
I don't encourage chaotic evil behaivor so the town would not fall for his bullshit.
>>
>>45375613
>>45375404

I took a warlock multiclass at lvl 5 (4/1) with my lore bard. Did I do good and what should I level first. want to go up to 3 in warlock for Tome
>>
>>45375574
>he's acting outside the norm
>he's doing things they don't like
That sounds like highly suspicious behavior. The small town would send word or someone to the city to investigate his claims.
>>
>>45375586
What, like, he found something so tragic he took his own sight?

Or like he peered into a magic arrow trap.
>>
File: file.png (1 MB, 1200x3500) Image search: [Google]
file.png
1 MB, 1200x3500
>>45375586
I made a shitty comic describing the origin of my blind wizard. Pic related. (If matters, it is a level 20 campaign. That might help explain the ending.)
>>
>>45375685
is the text supposed to be illegible
>>
>>45375586
Was a fighter who was protecting a village and a bandit shoved a torch in his face/hit him in the eyes/etc, became a Bladesinger so that he could use magic to make him a good fighter again
>>
>>45375653
Although I like the so tragic he took his own eyesight, I'm a bit afraid that it would turn super edgelord real quick.

At the moment I was tinkering with, arrogant mage is doing research. When he completes his ultimate experiment is crashes and burns wounding(blinding) him. But he did succeed in his research and discovered something awesome. Not too sure what the awesome should be and how this all makes sense. The accident caused him to be:
a Total shutin for X amount of years
b convinced people should be very cautious with magic
c he discoverd some meta universal truth or some shit, this is something he keeps a secret, which also explain his paranoid and coarse personality.

Thematically I was thinking something along the lines:
>Stared into infinity untill his eyes melted. Became a blind sage after that trying to save the world from irresponsible magic use...
>>
>>45375601
I thought so. Thanks for the reply.

Yeah, I think I'd have to rewrite parts of the Paladin, Ranger, and Bard (give them something else in lieu of casting), drop out Eldritch Knight and Arcane Trickster, and then figure out what to do with the remaining spellcaster classes.

I'll probably just embrace magic and the system as it is instead. I'll have to think about it. Again, thanks.
>>
>>45375555

Just tell your players that. You're restricting more of the excessively magical classes.

Although, remember that adventurers are exceptional people. They'd see magic a lot more than normal. So, it'd be natural for them to have a Warlock (say) on their team, but would rarely come across another one. Even magic users banding together makes sense, as so few people would understand what it's like to be them.
>>
>>45375705
What about some sort of an arcane mask? Burns his eyes out but grants him mage sight or whatever.

Now it's broken, but he still carries it around.
>>
Soooo, Eldritch Knight or Bladesinger? Thinking of going for a Bounty Hunter type character.

Was also considering straight Sorcerer with a fighter dip.
>>
>>45375769
That's what I did here
>>45375685
But I'm not sure how flexible the DM will be with "mage sight". Luckily my DM didn't want to punish me for wanting to play a physically blind character.
>>
File: 250px-EltharionVSBelannaer.jpg (34 KB, 250x417) Image search: [Google]
250px-EltharionVSBelannaer.jpg
34 KB, 250x417
>>45375769
>pic related was the inspo, I will also be using the eltharion the blind mini (yes I'm a faggot who always uses a mini in DnD)

For his blindness we already agreed upon the following:

BLIND SEER: Due to you blindness and intense training you gain the following properties:
-Senses blindsight 30ft. or 10ft. while deafened (blind beyond this radius)
-Condition Immunities: blinded
-Blind Senses. You can't use your blindsight and suffer from blindness while deafened and unable to smell.
-Keen Hearing and Smell. You have advantage on Wisdom (Perception) checks that rely on hearing or smell.
>>
>>45375791
Do you wanna be a fighter with some extra utility and buffs, or a caster who can swing a sword? Bounty Hunter sounds more EK personally (maybe with Ritual Caster or 2 levels of Divination Wizard to help them find people).
>>
I think i made a mistake when making my character, but i still want to play it because its gimmick could be fun
The character is fresh and the only deal now its the weapon of choice.
What should i do?
>>
>>45375720
True, which is why I wouldn't want to kill their magic abilities outright, but I was also imagining it like, even if you can use magic, it's not as easy as just saying you cast a spell, even if you are the hero. Maybe I'd try converting Thieves' World rules to 5e, since that's the sort of tone I'd be going for.
>>
>>45375846
I just had a picture of an old western gunslinger type, with a sword on his hip and a wand in his holster. The reason I was thinking sorcerer was twincasting magic missile after quick drawing a wand.

Haven't thought much of it past that.
>>
>>45376073
In that case maybe go Bard 1 or 2 (for skills & swords) then Sorc
>>
File: dragon.png (335 KB, 800x1131) Image search: [Google]
dragon.png
335 KB, 800x1131
befriending silver dragons is probably the best thing ever.
>>
>>45375107
DnD, at least this edition, doesn't lend itself to logical settings.
>>
>>45376158
Thats gonna turn into one of those weird sex things isn't it?
>>
>>45375149
I ban UA stuff, but allow things from official Player Companions (EE, POTA) and SCAG. UA stuff is generally untested, right?

>>45375256
White board. Mini d6 that you can buy a huge pack of. Minis / markers / tokens from other board games you probably have lying around.

Anyone ever really exhaust all the settings and options you can find in the DMG / PHB? I've been reading through my DMG more diligently lately, and have through a series of trial and error been adding at least one new feature or mechanic or table a week. This week we used a limited version of the Plot Points system, and next week I plan on doing some stuff with Horror / madness.
>>
>>45376276
Link
>>
>>45376261
no theyre going to cuddle anon why are you so dirty
>>
>>45367491
Far south of the Kryptgarden Forest, on a small hill, a young Wood Elf named Rinn lived with a Dwarf named Traubon Goldhand, a great Monk who eventually adopted Rinn as his own son, Rinn's birth parents having left him long ago. For many years Rinn lived and trained with him, and they became known to the nearby village of Sparrow's End as protectors and teachers, to those willing to learn. The village came under attack one night by a group of bandits; The Redbrands. After Rinn and his father saved the village, a surviving bandit begged mercy of Traubon, claiming he had no choice. Traubon slew him with his bare hands. Upon returning to the Monastery, father and son argued over whether killing the man was right. In the heated debate, Traubon struck his son, leaving him with a scar across my cheek. Rinn left home, determined his father was wrong, and now, 7 months later, he finds himself on the High Road, heavy with drink and regret.

It's shit I know, but it's for a first character
>>
>>45376463
also, copy-pasted this from my character sheet, hence why sometimes the description goes into first person
>>
>>45376412
Are you calling me Link, like from LoZ?
Are you asking for a link....to something?
Are you stroking?
What is going on, what are you trying to say? Think, then use your words.
>>
>>45376463
Nah it's a fine story anon, he just doesn't appear to have much motivation to leave the bar and adventure.
>>
>>45372376
Hinsty David and Mr. Mockingham are my OTP
>>
>>45376563
Personal Goal: Prove a point. Rinn intends to either prove that no one is beyond redemption, or to see absolute proof that some must be severely punished

That's what I got on my sheet, and then with the fact that the Redbrands attacked the village, I'm wanting him to track down the Redbrands, and either find a redeemable one, or know for certain that some people gotta die. Incidentally, what alignment does this info seem to fit? I was thinking NG with the idea that my character wants to help anyone who needs it, but then the moral dillema thing is a bit... I'm having difficulty is all.
>>
>>45376607
That's actually a pretty good one. I'd say NG fits, since your ultimate goal is to do something good (and not dispense justice or whatever). If it's just to prove a point, TN might fit too - even though you're after a good outcome, your reasons for wanting it are a bit selfish.
>>
Once there was a noble scion of a prominent Waterdeep family who had absolutely zero ambition in his life beyond enjoying himself and taking up whatever dares his fair-weather friends could think up.
His parents, sticklers for military discipline, sought to find him a teacher so he could be a productive and educated man and contribute to the family name at least marginally.
Finding a dragonborn tutor from eastern Faerun willing to take on a new student, he was forced to take lessons from the strange teacher who apparently failed to mention that along with a mental education he would be teaching him esoteric martial skills. At first the pupil was unwilling, but the dragonborn then called him a useless coward unwilling to rise to a real challenge. Sparking his ire, the pupil began to train himself to excel at his physical and mental studies just to prove the dragonborn teacher wrong, but soon found that practicing and exercising his martial arts was genuinely more rewarding and entertaining then any activity he had done before and grew to appreciate his teacher's education.

In the end, his parent's plan only half-worked; while he now had some discipline, the dragonborn Monk was never actually interested in teaching the young nobleman about duty to his family, only in passing on his martial arts skills. The young nobleman thus had finally found a diversion that truly interested him; adventuring and finding worthy foes to test himself against as an adventurer, going from a wastrel who embarrassed the family in Waterdeep to an adventurer who embarrassed the family as he ran around slaying monsters and fighting duels abroad...and he STILL isn't contributing to the family in any real way.
>>
>>45376664
He just wants to reconcile with his dad, either through showing Dad that people can be spared, or by accepting his Dad's teachings as truth

I want to run my own game as DM potentially having Traubon as an NPC. My idea was that through most of Rinn's life, he's a very jovial man, great with the locals etc, and then the night he executes one of the bandits, Rinn discovers a darker side to him, and before then always believed his dad to be forgiving. Thinking LN for Traubon
>>
>>45375068
My homebrew was established before they were core. My playgroup didn't find it necessary to retcon them in.
>>
>>45375068
No problems here, move along.
>>
>>45376686
Now he still womanizes and drinks and parties on his family's credit, but he also slays monsters (humanoid and otherwise) out on the frontier region, wielding his spear and martial arts skills for hire along with his companions. He's eager to find treasure as well, though it's less that he needs it and more that he thinks of getting treasure from monsters and slain foes is a way to "keep score" of your success as an adventurer.
His favorite foes are humanoid creatures with fighting skills; while slaying carrion crawlers and zombies is still something he does, he finds it less rewarding since they tend to just use sheer speed and strength to fight and thus he can't test his spear against them properly.
He actually has awakened to a sense of noblesse oblige that gives him drive to help the settlers in the frontier regions, though his execution of these beliefs is mildly condescending; as a nobleman he believes it is his in-born superiority that requires him to defend the smallfolk from monsters and bandits. Oddly enough, he still treats the peasantry like regular people otherwise; while he does legitimately think his bloodline raises him above the masses, he sees this not as a privilege but as a responsibility (albiet one he failed to live up to his whole life) and that the smallfolk have their own position in the world that is to be respected by the nobly-born.
>>
>>45374866
>No motivations

"For the Hell of it/Fortune and glory". Any more motivation beyond that depends on the events of the campaign; otherwise I'm basically playing a thief-acrobat version of Conan the Barbarian.
>>
>>45372500
I liked it desu

but it's probably because I'm a closet tranny
>>
>>45376607
>Personal Goal: Prove a point. Rinn intends to either prove that no one is beyond redemption, or to see absolute proof that some must be severely punished

Huh.

I feel like requiring all characters to have goals, now. But maybe not goals. Or like, amorphous goals, not specific ones ("prove yourself", not "save the princess")

Maybe a personal goal and a social goal each? I'll need to ponder this further.
>>
>>45376935
You should, having a reason to move forward is way more important for a PC than a backstory t.bh
>>
Can I use mage hand to disarm an opponent outside of combat? Inside?
>>
>>45376935
On the character sheets provided with the 5e Starter pack, each character has a personal goal, so I figured it'd be a good thing to include. Also, it only stands to reason that goals, bonds, Ideals, and flaws must logically progress/change with the character? For example, my character's bond is to his dad. If his dad dies, no bond left right? Also, his flaw is drink and intoxicants. Fine at first, but eventually, monks become immune to that, and at that point my character no longer has a flaw, so perhaps a new one develops in the lifetime of my character?
>>
Had this situation pop up. A player wanted to use Mage Hand to choke someone to intimidate them. I said that that was not within the realm of what Mage Hand was capable of. Did I make the right call?
>>
>>45377019
A mage hand is quite weak. It would be like being choked by a sickly toddler.
>>
>>45377019
Yes, you did. Not only is Mage Hand limited to unattended objects, but it can only exert 5 pounds of force anyway, not enough to really choke someone.
>>
>>45377105
If the Mage Hand can lift 10lbs, and if that means it can also squeeze for 10lbs, that's a pretty significant amount of weight on your windpipe.
>>
>>45374866
Poster of Paladin. I was high and super tired last night so that did not come out like I wanted it to, but I've never seen Bleach, and I guarantee the character is as far from anime as possible.
>>
>>45376991
I'd say no, it can't lift much weight so that implies it is pretty weak. It could probably pickpocket a weapon though.
>>
>>45372362
>[sub]Though we also had a player pick Beast Master and he also seemed perfectly viable up to level 12 where his character died, so maybe we're some sort of weird anomaly group?[/sub]
Most of the beastmaster's problems are systemic rather than numeric. You likely ran it slightly off from RAW and he died when Rangers stop growing as martial characters/through class features.
>>
>>45374866
Oh look, its this faggot again.
>>
>>45376532
Zelda.
>>
Someone should compile all the twitter rules clarifications into a PDF or something.
>>
What is the best sentinel tank? I was thinking Eldritch Knight because Lightning Lure seems like a good way to get things off your ranged/caster allies
>>
>>45377300
Hmm. Do weapons have a weight in the rulebook?

Would you consider that a sleight of hand roll, then? That seems wrong somehow.
>>
File: jwSeT8g[1].png (23 KB, 295x344) Image search: [Google]
jwSeT8g[1].png
23 KB, 295x344
>>45376991
Not even Arcane tricksters can do that.
>>
>>45377948
Aren't all of those things possible under Mage Hand either way? It doesn't explicitly forbid any of them.
>>
>>45367491
A wandering con-man and opportunist who weaseled his way into a group of archaeologists in the hope that he might find some artifacts to pawn. The group blundered into the lair of a Sphinx and was annihilated save for the con-man who was the only one able to answer it's riddle. Because of this the Sphinx spared his life and made a contract with him, he was bestowed with powers over the mind (GOO warlock) but in exchange must "test" those he encounters and those that are found worthy (able to see through his illusions) are to be sent back to the Sphinx.
>>
File: PZO9013-Beltais.jpg (111 KB, 992x1500) Image search: [Google]
PZO9013-Beltais.jpg
111 KB, 992x1500
Escaped, surprisingly easily, from a prison in which all the prisoners wear an enchanted ring. Wearing this ring means the Warden knows exactly where you are. Prisoners are unable to remove the ring themselves.

Character is unsure why he hasn't been recaptured, making him paranoid, and is looking for a way to remove the ring.

I've never really played an RPG before(2x single sessions with premades), but this is the idea I have for my first character.
>>
>>45378350
Just cut your finger off. Easy
>>
>>45378371
What if the magic of the ring doesn't bind the ring to his finger, but himself to the ring?

He could cut his finger off to find that his body falls over dead, and his consciousness is now inside the severed finger.
>>
>>45374866
>Not Mogly BRIGHT Monk/Lock
>Yiff fagotry

It seems like you are moving around in dark circles and need to be brought into the light.
>>
>>45375068
I continue to play my human monk1/Battlemaster19 and proceed to give no fucks.
>>
Paladin of an order sworn against undead. Died fighting a lich before the lich was destroyed by other members of the order.
Before death, he swore to return should the lich ever awaken again.
Now roams the land as an undead looking for the lich and generally doing good, using his full armor to conceal his true form
>>
>>45378501
If you get even a small faction of the traits undead get, that's broken as hell.

If you don't, it's pointless.

Unless there's a balanced undead homebrew race I'm not aware of.
>>
>>45377493
It's called the Sage Advice Compendium, which Wizards releases for rulings that are officially official, or sageadvice.eu, for people too lazy to search through Twitter themselves.
>>
A misanthrope Druid who takes the money of civilized people, secretly yearning to raise an army of trees and demolish cities under his feet.
>>
>>45378672
Oh, I didn't know about this.

>"Drawing the ammunition from a quiver, case, or other container is part of the attack.” The sentence tells us two important things. First, you’re assumed to be drawing— that is, extracting with your hand—the ammunition from a container. Second, the act of drawing the ammunition is included in the attack and therefore doesn’t require its own action and ***doesn’t use up your free interaction with an object on your turn***

What the fuck
>>
>>45378774
What's unusual about that? Weapons you can only load once/turn have the "loading" property to specify that loading them is a more arduous process.
>>
>>45378833
>What's unusual about that?

That grabbing an arrow from the quiver doesn't use your free action for the turn.
>>
>>45378764
What do you need money for?
>>
>>45376158
Sauce?
>>
>>45378395
Either it is or it isn't. Why would he assume that?

Do it and find out, faggot.
>>
>>45378849
The motions to load a crossbow and fire it are considerably more than knocking an arrow and firing it.
>>
>>45378877
Gotta buy land to build that tree army on the DL.
>>
>>45378877
To eat. And also to obtain the amethysts for this eventual army of trees.

>>45378849
It doesn't use your object interaction so that you can make multiple attacks with a bow in a single turn. Your point?
>>
>>45378927
>army of trees
What if the trees don't want to fight?
>>
>>45378972
THIS IS FOR THEIR OWN GOOD.

Also the spell puts them under my control.
>>
File: 7ahrFUE.png (5 MB, 1736x2456) Image search: [Google]
7ahrFUE.png
5 MB, 1736x2456
>>45378501
Homebrew revenant, google Awakened undead v0.2 or something for the full thing.
>>
>>45378774
>Dagger does 1d4 damage, range of 20 (60)
>Improvised weapons do the same

If I were to just throw the arrows from my quiver I'd at least get to do all my attacks for the round.
>>
>>45379013
This is yours? Looks really cool.
>>
>>45378897
Maybe him and the other prisoners were told when they were thrown into jail

Otherwise theyd just have a bunch of fingerless/dead prisoners
>>
>>45379027
That's not the intention of the rule. Otherwise, heavy crossbows would gain the benefit of Archery Fighting Style when used as blunt melee weapons, and Monks would get their Martial Arts when they chuck clubs at people.
>>
>>45378350
>>45378371
Based on the evidence provided:

>Tell other inmate or random passerby to pull your finger, and have them removed the ring.

Problem solved.

>>45379075
That's making a big assumption.
>>
File: xJylQfx.jpg (401 KB, 1736x1474) Image search: [Google]
xJylQfx.jpg
401 KB, 1736x1474
>>45379045
Nah, Saw it on /dndnext on reddit.
If you like high quality homebrews like that, I'd recommend stonestrix's /monsteraday subreddit, has a bunch of sweet homebrewed monsters, even bundled in to a handy little pdf.
>>
>>45379148
These seem like super easy rewrites that can be patched in when discussing the character with a GM
>>
>>45378523
Undead don't get any traits. No creature type inherently grants traits.
>>
>>45379450
I'm all for the escaped prisoner becoming a hero angle (Count of Monte Cristo, anyone?). Just saying that little tidbit is either superfluous, or needs to be expanded upon.
>>
>>45378985
If you are thinking of awaken, that charms them. Charm means someone is friendly towards you. Sure you might be able to convince them to fight or lie to them to get them to fight, but you don't control them.
>>
Storytime

7 characters, I'm having to play 3 of them due to people not being able to make it.

>After a long grueling day of fighting, the players happen upon a hut in the middle of the woods, with a hermit inside.
>A bit eccentric, but he seems amiable and just wants to share stories
>Players notice he has a lot more gold than he should, and for a stick/mudhut, he has a lot of finery (dishes, goblets and chalices, candlesticks)
>No PC with a passive perception above 15
>Brews tea / shares moonshine with all the players
>6 players inside the hut, one player goes outside to sleep in the woods (ranger)
>I say the rogue goes with him, to scout out the perimeter
>Ranger says he immediately goes to sleep
>Con saves!
>Everyone fails, everyone passes out
>While passed out, the hermit proceeds to rob them all blind, and begins piling unconscious bodies outside
>Ranger reminds me about the rogue
>Shit....

Did I do this next part right?
>Ranger is jolted awake by the rogue
>Jumps up and sees hermit face down with three arrows in him, gold coins scattered everywhere outside
>Rogue says he came back to the camp to see him looting everyone, and immediately put him down.
>Everyone gets woken up, and they end up taking all his valuables and sleeping the rest of the night in his hut.

My original plan was to rob them and leave them naked on the nearby road, but me forgetting about the PC that *I* had to roleplay, kinda foiled that (and a ranger with a good memory).

Is that about how /5eg/ /tg/ would have gone about that?
>>
>>45379319
yo that monster's metal as fuck.
>>
>>45379681
>7 characters

nope

Abandon group
>>
>>45377019
>>45377105
>>45377118
Can you jam a Mage Hand down someone's throat to choke them?
>>
>>45379780
Mage Hand can't be used to attack.
>>
>>45379750
Yeah 4-5 is all I can handle as a DM or a player.
>>45379780
>Can't attack, activate magic items, or carry more than 10lbs
>>
>>45379814
>>45379750
That's fine and dandy, but I feel perfectly comfortable with 7, and everyone is close enough friends / are good enough players to make it fun and keep the game moving forward.

Also literally not what I was asking, but ok.
>>
>>45379780
Can you cast Gaseous Form and then go inside someone and then explode out of them?
>>
>>45379798
>>45379814
Can mage hand tie someone's shoes together so they trip and fall down?
>>
Question: in PotA, one of the treasures the players can get is a +1 longsword, with rubies in the hilt that glow when near a dragon. What my players want to know is, does the effect happen near the dragon-blooded sorcerer party member? My gut says yes, but only faintly, but I don't know if there are actual rules for this.
>>
>>45379896
Is he a dragon?
>>
>>45379916
No

I guess that makes the matter rather simple then, doesn't it?
>>
>>45379896
It glows when near a dragon.

It nearly glows when near nearly a dragon.
>>
>>45379896
Anything of the dragon type.
>>
>>45379886
If you're an AT, sure - your mage hand can interact with objects someone is carrying. Have to make a sleight-of-hand check though. Otherwise no.
>>45379681
Yeah that's fine, unless your rogue's regular player is a dick who would leave the party unconscious.
>>
>>45379961
>If you're an AT, sure - your mage hand can interact with objects someone is carrying. Have to make a sleight-of-hand check though.

>Otherwise no.
Why not?
>>
>>45379990
Wizards don't have the deft hands or invisible mage hand to pull off things that require finesse
>>
>>45379961
Nah, he's pretty bro-tier. Likes to play "snipercamper" as a rogue, but generally is a team player.
>>
>>45380032
>Wizards don't have the deft hands or invisible mage hand to pull off things that require finesse

According to what? Just based on negation of the AT rules?
>>
>>45380068
Mage hand spell description specifically says it's visible
>>
>>45380105
Visible is pretty different from incapable of finesse, though.
>>
>>45380068
A Wizard's mage hand isn't dexterous enough to interact with an object somebody else is carrying or wearing in that fashion.
>>
>>45380124
Magic Missiles, Melf's Minute Meteors, any other spells like these that can contribute to a minigun mage build?
>>
>>45380167
didn't mean to reply to >>45380124
>>
>>45375068
is he me?
>>
do you shout out your spell names like an anime character
>>
>>45378350
The ring idea doesn't work as
>>45378371
>>45379148
have shown

Do a choker instead
>>
>>45374866

>>45371009 here. I left off the motivations in the interest of brevity. To tl;dr, her "partner" in the Order ended up secretly dabbling in magic, eventually diving head-first into the metaphorical deep end. So she's trying to find her partner to either rescue them or put them out of their "misery".
>>
>>45380384
or just a rune on your skin
>>
Would True Polymorph allow you to permanently turn yourself or others into Elves, and gain a long lifespan?
>>
>>45375068
He should also remove damaging cantrips.
>>
>>45375068
he sounds cool
>>
>>45380535
Yep, you gain the physical characteristics of the new form
>>
>>45380581
Could you True Polymorph yourself into a younger version of yourself? Could you heal any injury to others by polymophing them into a healthy youthful version of themselves?
>>
Would Inspiration be better served to be able to stack up to two? I've had a few newer players that need the gentle shove it is supposed to provide never spend it out of fear of not having it when they need it, but it seems like they might be more willing to spend it, and thus roleplay well to regain their supply, if there is a safety net to fall back on.
>>
>>45380609
Probably, yes, although you wouldn't have any of the skills or spells that you didn't know then (you can only take actions that your "new form" knows)
>>
>>45380502
Like a dragonmark on someones face / forehead / neck or something.
>>
>>45380648
So if you true polymorph yourself into an elf, you just become a level 1 elf and forget all your class levels?
>>
>>45380616
The way I run inspiration, is that you gain it by making a suboptimal choice that lines up with your flaw and you can only spend it on an action that lines up with your bond / etc.

Also, don't fall into the trap of just awarding inspiration for acting.
>>
>>45375068
I'd ask why to sate my own curiosity, and also to see if there are interesting character opportunities behind his reasons for needing to talk particular to anyone into those races or that class.

Otherwise whatever, if your setting doesn't include something don't add them, and if you want to try trimming some options and seeing how the game handles without them as long as you tell me beforehand let's try it.
>>
>>45367491
Dick Brando.
He was the best damn guardsman in the city. He always completed the job, no matter how much collateral damage there was. Of course this got him in trouble with the chief who was constantly trying to reign him in. He started feeling constrained by the all the chief's damn rules about how to do his job, so he handed in his badge (slammed it down on the table) and his sword. Now he strives to dole out justice to the bad guys, without the constraints of the law to hold him back.

He'll take down any criminal no matter how big/petty the crime is.
>>
File: received_950299181727305.jpg (39 KB, 667x1176) Image search: [Google]
received_950299181727305.jpg
39 KB, 667x1176
Human Rogue, Thief archetype - Urchin

Raised in the port city Spiranta, which was described as magic Las Vegas. Worked here and there at various taverns/cafes/restaraunts, but soon found his skills put to better use as a pickpocket for a gang of Kobolds. As he grew older he was put to more serious work breaking and entering and larson. He lied to his parents about his work, though they soon realized he was no longer working at an official establishment. The gang put him up to burning a large building while a gala was being held. Though he knew many nobles were attending he did not know that his parents had both managed work as servants during said event. Grew up on his own from 12-28 until a ship from the empire was hiring mercenaries and he took the job.
>>
As a Battlemaster Fighter, if I ready an action to attack and it goes off, can I spend a superiority die on that attack? If so, say the trigger was an enemy attacking. If I use Trip and they fall prone, does that interrupt their attack?
>>
>>45380696
Depends. You choose the CR so if you cast it at level 20 you can polymorph into a level 20 elf wizard.
>>
So, I'm only just now getting into minis. Why do some large-size creatures have different sized bases than other large-size creatures?
>>
>>45380794
IIRC, some are large "tall" (10ft x 10ft) and some are large "wide" (5ft x 10 ft).
>>
>>45380167
scorching ray and take magical initiate for eldritch blast cantrip so you can beam spam maybe?
>>
Is it worth going war caster as a Eldritch Knight? It lets me cast shield and absorb elements, but with the limited casts I have per day, how good is it?
>>
Samson
Not too smart, in fact, he usually needs someone (hopefully someone good) to act as his handler. Doesn't know his own strength and that usually leads him to accidentally knocking someone down when he pats them on the back. Swings a big hammer and carries a Holy Book in his pack, reads a passage each night before bed and after rising in the morning. Quotes passages whenever it's applicable (or not) and enjoys singing in choirs.
>>
>>45367491
>Share your character backgrounds, I don't care how shitty they are

Aric and his friend Lurien were exploring the old ruin on the outskirts of town as kids. They were told not to, the place is cursed. Curses are for old people and nerds. Aric and Lurien do it anyway because whoever stays the whole night gets a kiss from Relli, and she's hot af so the little teenaged cunts went for it.

Lurien was smart and about an hour into camping out in the old stone keep decided to get the fuck out when they both were pretty sure they were being watched and heard noises. Aric, however, had a set of pouty lips in mind and was not giving up on those. He decided to explore a little, see what was up. He found a secret door, and found himself in the underbelly of the ruin, a place overlooked for centuries.

He found a skeletal figure of a knight, chained by the wrists and helmet cast aside, covered in spiderwebs and dust. When Aric approached, it looked up, and before he could shit himself and run it begged him to stay. It had been sealed up there after the fall of its old kingdom, cursed with undeath and plagued by a spread of people who went mad with the curse, and begged Aric to kill it with the rusty spear hanging out on the floor. Aric, too freaked out to make sense of shit, did this. Some fucky voodoo happened and the skeleton exploded into dust, forcing the cloud of oh god help me into his lungs and soaking into his skin through his clothes and all that shit. This was, as you might imagine, unpleasant.

Aric is sick for a while and wakes up on the floor come morning. He runs home. He goes to the temple, because oh god help me I'm going to die. They have no idea what to tell him, records of that kingdom are at best foggy as hell. He doesn't seem to be a zombie since he doesn't get repulsed by healing magics, but they can't seem to pull the skeleton dust cancer out of him either.
>>
>>45380873
It's worth doing unless maybe you're an archer. You might not get as much out of it at low levels, but advantage on Concentration saves is a big deal when you use Haste/Blur/Fly, and using Booming Blade as an opportunity attack is like a mini-Sentinel feat.
>>
Any other DMs ever had to deal with power creep too early for your liking in game? My players are level 7, and I accidentally gave the barbarian (20 str) a Blackrazor like weapon early on before I really understood the Magic Item Economy.

But at this point, he pretty much drops anything he comes against. Any suggestions?
>>
>>45374866
>Are you gonna throw a fit if/when your character dies that they would come back a second time? If not, I like it
That's in fact an ability of the Warlock Patron. I always build characters around mechanics if possible to lessen the divide.
>>
>>45367491
Rolen the High Elf Folk Hero Fighter (Champion)
Was a simple woodworker until a shit ton of monsters came out of the mountains. Used a pitchfork and a large tree branch to kill a few protecting a noble. Noble then "recruits" (forces) Rolen into his guard. After several years, he escapes, heading west to Luskan and Neverwinter. He hopes to raise a force to go and kill said noble who is also a complete prick to his other subjects too.
>>
>>45380979
Anyway, they lock him up because why give everyone boneitis if he might have the plague Skeleton Jones told him about.

He spends the next few years trying various meditations and medications as the clergy talks to clerics of other gods and consorts with upper level priests, not getting much of anywhere. Meanwhile he slowly learns he can /do things/. Not normal things either, creepy voodoos. He also has an impulsive desire to check out dead stuff, which he doesn't understand. Under observation ad in clothes designed to shield other people from his body (for fear of plague and shit) he checks out the graveyard and wanders the catacombs a lot, realizing he enjoys the company of the quiet dead and thankfully not spontaneously summoning skeletons.

Eventually he figures enough of his shit out to start hearing the voices; little whispers here and there, that tell him things he shouldn't know. Mostly about anyone in the village who dies (like Relli - he never did get that kiss) or things about their lives that they never told people about. These whispers lead to him controlling his shit, learning how to use it, and deciding he's the fucking ghost whisperer or some shit, and he needs to go study his powers and become a master of that shit because it isn't like he'll be starting a family or getting a day job any time soon anyway.
>>
Eh, here's my primary character's backstory:

Ubertino Fabrón grew up in Neverwinter to alcoholic parents. His childhood was chaotic and unpredictable, but the boy found solace in the teachings of Helm. When he was old enough, he enlisted, and was sent to serve as a town guard in a remote part of the kingdom where he spent his entire life. He wed, had children, and altogether led a rather ordinary life. As he and his wife grew gray, she passed before him. Retired and now a widower, Ubertino quickly grew tired of the quiet in his home, so he set off to have a great adventure, perhaps a few decades later in life than most.
>>
>>45372763
That was a decent read anon. Thank you for sharing that.
>>
File: 1453656194001.jpg (43 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
1453656194001.jpg
43 KB, 600x600
>mfw I've run 50 sessions of a 5e campaign now

It's been a long road, bros, but the edition holds up.
>>
>>45381263
Congrats anon, that's a long-ass campaign.
Highlights?
>>
>>45381356
>>45381263

I've been with my weekly Saturday group for about a year now. Almost done with Princes of the Apocalypse. Is a year long game really that long?
>>
>>45381424
Having everyone make it weekly is uncommon in my experience t.bh, my group's made up of people with pretty busy schedules
>>
File: image.jpg (152 KB, 650x863) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
152 KB, 650x863
Can someone here help me with a stealth related question?

As far as I understand being hidden gives me advantage on my ranged attack, as I do not need to run out into the open and break stealth to loose an arrow.

Would the shot warn other enemies to my presence though, and if so, when would they actually notice me? Could I use a bonus attack on the same turn and still retain advantage? Is it a DM call?
>>
>>45381263
Ran a 5e campaign (Zelda homebrew) for about 6 months every Sunday night but one (23 sessions all told). Had to end it because of scheduling conflicts but they did save Hyrule and fought Ganon (well... One guy got possessed by Ganon after trying to overthrow the "weak monarchy").
>>
A half-orc barbarian. However his dark secret is the fact that unlike most half-orc barbarians he was born out of a loving relationship from a human father and an orc mother. They met on the battlefield as complete equals and fell in love. But for a half-orc this is kind of embarrassing so at the age of 15 he ran away from home and has been an adventurer from then on.
>>
>>45381424
>Is a year long game really that long?
If you have a job and other social responsibilities it is.
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 45

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.