[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is Games Workshop too big? Tabletop has always been a niche hobby.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 143
Thread images: 12
File: Gwlogo.png (77 KB, 490x203) Image search: [Google]
Gwlogo.png
77 KB, 490x203
Is Games Workshop too big? Tabletop has always been a niche hobby. So I wonder whether Games Workshop has expanded too much.
>>
>>45338174
Personally I think that GW is in a bit of a shitty situation.

The main way they market their games is by having GW stores. Due to being assholes to FLGS they have lost their support. As such, currently the only way GW markets their games is through their stores.

Now they are losing money, so they would need to cut costs. At the same time, GW stores account for as much as 50% of the business expenses. Therefore one of the best ways for them to cut costs would be to close stores.

That however would mean losing a lot of visibility, which they would have to compensate through marketing. Since GW doesn't do any marketing however, and they have lost all the support from FLGS, they are in a tight spot.

They have to either try and continue to cut costs / increase profits by butchering their product line, which leads to their actual product becoming less valuable to consumers. Or they start to close more GW stores, which however means they lose visibility as no FLGS wants to deal with their shit anymore.

Overall the biggest problem that GW has is that whilst they were the market leaders they acted like bullies to independent retailers, and like assholes to their customers, and now that they are losing their monopoly its coming back to bite them in the ass.
>>
>>45338333
Very well said, thank you Anon.
>>
>>45338333
They could also go all-out for online sales, both direct and through Amazon et al. They're not in enough of a bad state yet to do that though.
>>
>>45339497
Well the reality is that they could totally try and do a 180° turn and re-invigorate the business, but it would mean taking hefty risk and losses for a short period of time, which as we know investors aren't very fond of.

Things they could try and do:
>start actually marketing their fucking games
>offer great agreements to flgs so that they get support
>close all their small stores and instead open single, bigger hobby stores (more like an flgs) in large cities

Of course these are just "meta" things that they could do. The other (more important) problems such as high pricing, bad rules and decreasing model quality would still not be fixed.

In the end GW needs to strike a balance between making a great product again and cutting down on the retail stores to find other sales channels. As long as they keep thinking that they have a monopoly and are untouchable they will keep losing money.
>>
>>45338174
>Is Games Workshop too big?
Not if they were managed better. FFG is pretty huge, and for them its an asset rather than a hindrance.
>>
>>45338174
I think GW's problem is that they think they're a big company, but they're not.
>>
No, they haven't expanded enough. There should be far more 40k spinoff games including video games.
>>
>>45338333
Yeah, it was really sad what they started doing to local gaming stores. In my experience they started pissing them off about 10 years ago. New stuff started coming in very late, if it arrived at all - it looked like GW was trying to starve them out. As a result, those stores diversified and people started giving other miniatures games a chance. Good going, GW!

It may be different in the UK, but in the US there are a lot more general hobby stores than GW shops, and they're much more comfortable places to hang out in.
>>
>>45338333
> they acted like bullies to independent retailers
Is that way I can't find any third party retailers to carry them?

The LGS in my hometown stopped carrying GW stuff, and the one in the city I'm currently in only has the AoS starter set.

We're trying to get a mordheim campaign going but noone can find cheap bits or boxes.
>>
>>45340488
Living in Scotland and having lived in Glasgow and now Dundee, GW dominates. There aren't really any other hobby stores I can think of, at least in Dundee anyway.
>>
>>45340118
True dat. They act like they're an evil corporate giant. Shit's weird.
>>
>>45338333
>They have to either try and continue to cut costs / increase profits by butchering their product line, which leads to their actual product becoming less valuable to consumers
What is Age of Sigmar?
>>
>>45342570
In my experience you tend to have a local GW in the UK but many people have independent gaming groups that rent somewhere and play once a week but make most purchases through a GW store.
>>
>>45342875
Speaking of which, any data on how AoS is doing besides anecdotes?
>>
>>45342918
Only the drop in sales in their last financial report.
>>
>>45342939
Isn't that a thing that's been happening for years? I don't think it's exclusive to Age of Sigmar.
>>
>>45342570

That's great and all for you bongs but has nothing to do with their other big market (America)
>>
>>45338333
Both of the stores near me still sell GW stuff, and one of them at a discount. The other has a large number of tables available.

GW would be smart to partner with third party shops and promote their stuff that way. Having a place for new players to go to and play is very important to the hobby.

If they keep gutting stores and moving everything online, nobody would bother buying except existing playgroups who play at home. If there's nowhere to have pickup games or to go out and see a game in action, then there's no way to draw in new people easily.
>>
>>45342570
>having lived in Glasgow and now Dundee
I'm so sorry mate. I don't know what you've done to deserve such a horrible punishment, maybe you were a member of the Labour party in a past life.

Jakey cunt
>>
>>45344813
Regardless, that means it's not fulfilling its purpose. Doing a reboot just to continue failing like before is not a success.
>>
>>45338333
My FLGS sells GW models
>>
>>45344813
During End Times they promised investors a massive boost in income thanks to video game revenue and Age.

Remember that GW spends absolutely nothing making the vidya since the developer does all that work, they simply loan the IP and get money back.

Steam reported all GW vidya as financial successes, we know how much they made and can guess how much of that they got. It was a decent amount of money.

So when their market shares only increased 1% in value, we can see that Age of Sigmar lost them a fair chunk of revenue, enough to balance vidya gains on Mordheim, Blood Bowl 2, Vermintide, and preorders for Total War: Warhammer, and Eternal Crusade.

This is made worse when you remember the AdMech, Knights, and 30k releases that are so popular.

So Age lost so much money for them is balances video game and 40k/30k profits in a fantastic year for that stuff.
>>
>>45345057
Aye, its a shame overall. Age of Sigmar could have been great, in my eyes. All the had to do was not ruin the setting.
>>
>>45344916
I remember the old FLGS in my town had Fantasy and 40k decals on the windows, including a Rhino with Warhammer 40,000 underneath that was a whole storefront itself.

It dried up and went out of business. The new shop barely stocks any Warhammer, they specialize on X-Wing and MtG.
>>
>>45345391
Maybe giant gold statues cost more than we think.
>>
>>45342570
Edinburgh here, we have a GW without many hobby stores apart from one, flgs (of which there are many) are doing fine though.
>>
File: image.jpg (90 KB, 794x1165) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
90 KB, 794x1165
Worth a read.
>>
They are harsh to independant stores. They have to buy a certain amount of items and have to display them a certain way. Age of Sigmar was the biggest con by GW. They convinced so many stores that it was going to be a top seller and unloaded shit loads of shitmar onto these stores. Gw still made the profit and now the stores have to try and sell the swill that is AoS.

Betrayal at calth actually made money for independant stores but that was about it.
>>
>>45345644
In order for it to be a con GW had to know it was shit. I don't think GW is that competent.
>>
>>45345804
Haha that made me laugh. I dearly hope GW didnt think it was amazing.
>>
>>45345804
See anon, you've got two choices on what to believe:

1. GW are competent con artists
2. Real people were paid real money to design product for an international corporation, and really thought that AoS was a good idea.

So I guess it comes down to which world you want to live in.
>>
>>45345573
It's so red though.
>>
>>45345174
Ask the owner what he thinks of them.
>>
As a Briton, I think the fact that GW is notoriously and historically been the Apple of the market. But In the UK there is no other miniature Game playing line. Only things like Airfix, Hummel, larger firms with a much larger base and yet still rubs shoulders. The UK isnt fully out of recession and with GW being UK based, it is hurting.
>>
>>45345644
A buddy of mine's a manager at a comic/gameshop and he wants to stop carrying GW for just that reason. He can't have a bit of stuff on the shelf and order more in as people get interested and a community starts to form. He has to waste money keeping all this expensive stuff on the shelf at all times. Whats worse is, like you said, you have to order in the new stuff to satisfy GW even if the old stuff isn't selling.
>>
>$60 starter sets at Walmarts and such

Why hasn't GW tried to go with two-player boxed sets for toys/games sections in department stores?
>>
>>45346175
no other games in the UK? the fucking home of miniature wargaming?
>>
>>45346175
Here in the states, its a bit impressive to know Warhammer isn't a ripoff of WoW/Mech Warrior. It means you're a fa/tg/uy rather than a gamer.

Everyone knows D&D, Star Wars, Settlers Of Catan. Larger communities have 40k groups, and a few of them play Fantasy too. But its niche, not default. There's far more game/comic shops than there is just gaming shops, and only gaming shops carry more than the FFG Warhammer games.

X-Wing and MtG are the standard. Virtually no shop lacks those guys. They are the base.
>>
>>45346818

Card games role playing games and board games are the mainstay.

Miniatures that wargaming make very little if any money unless its X Wing.
>>
>>45346643
No market research.
They rejected Amazon for Apple as you recall so they could set their price.
>>
File: image.jpg (181 KB, 442x640) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
181 KB, 442x640
>>
>>45338174

Once 3d printing becomes more common, they're done. No one will buy $100 for a box of 2 minis anymore.
>>
>>45347525
3D printing still gives you relatively shit quality unless you're using one of the nicer SLS machines.
>>
>>45347595
Not the same guy, but technology improves, then becomes cheaper. Give it time
>>
>>45347608

Books still haven't gotten cheaper to print than to buy, and it's been a gazillion years since home printers were invented.
>>
>>45342860
A GW Corporate Black Ops team has been dispatched to your location, anon. Have a pleasant day, and feel free to look at out new offers for Age of Sigmar as well as the savage new Wulfen available for Adeptus Astartes: Space Wolves armies.
>>
File: Mantic Takes The Piss.jpg (86 KB, 650x488) Image search: [Google]
Mantic Takes The Piss.jpg
86 KB, 650x488
>>45345474
Can't be if Mantic can afford it.
>>
>my niche was comfy b4 normies and popular

ffs gamers are ultrahipsters
>>
>>45338333
Two of the three hobby shops I go to in my town sell GW products, one of which as damn near their entire product line *including* OOP models and Sisters of Battle.
>>
>>45346643
because that would mean bringing back such beloved titles as Space Hulk, HeroQuest and Space Crusade

Shit, they could basically repackage shit like Chainsaw Warrior, too.
>>
>>45350132
DIGGANOBZ
>>
>>45350200
I hate their models, but I'd give them money for free for the laughs that's given me.
>>
>>45350245
No anon, this is just Mass Effect 3 starring Jar Jar.

We hate the product. Not the community.
>>
>>45350759
I'd love it if those guys did Fantasy vids.
Age would be okay with them.
>>
>>45350847

Their models have slowly gotten better. It's still a little hit or miss but for the most part they're big sellers like dwarves and undead are fairly solid. Plus they are very relaxed about whose models you use.
>>
File: 1454905565474.png (6 KB, 788x400) Image search: [Google]
1454905565474.png
6 KB, 788x400
>>45351489
This.
I can say no one is chewing my ass out for using Warhammer ogres for Kings of War. I find did the opposite and brought KoW ogres to a GW shop, I'd be polity told to go fuck myselfpic unrelated.
>>
>>45344813
Biggest drop they've ever had.
>>
>>45352694
By a lot.
Oh, to hear their meetings.
>>
>>45348126
the difference is 3d printers will become cheaper because they give you access to things like machine parts and foods and other things that will provide incentive to make 3d printers cheap that cant just be torrented and read on a kindle like books. not because people want to print out their army men
>>
>>45345573
How the mighty have fallen.

It's a relic of another age. When tabletop ruled, before the coming of vidya. Before the dark times...
>>
>>45353343
What are you talking about? This, if anything, is the Golden age of minis with more variety in the market than ever before. Thanks to internet, ordering directly from manufacturer is easier than ever before. Remember when you had to fax to mail order from GW or pretty much anyone else? What your FLGS carried was pretty much what you could get, even the existence of other stuff were based on mere rumors.
>>
File: 99070205006_BattleSmith01.jpg (36 KB, 600x620) Image search: [Google]
99070205006_BattleSmith01.jpg
36 KB, 600x620
>>45338174
They could easily be way bigger if they weren't fuckheads.

Most people, upon discovering that I play Warhammer, will say "isn't that shit really expensive?" and they're only increasing prices. Reminder that this regular-dwarf sized, monopose, plastic, singular dwarf costs as much as a land speeder.
>>
>>45348126
That's because ink has been made to be so expensive.

I don't know how expensive the 3d printing material is.
>>
>>45354089
Well, I'm sure it can be artificially inflated like printer ink.
>>
>>45350865
Why wouldn't you hate the Mass Effect community though?
>>
>>45342570

Highlander Games is in Dundee. No idea what they're like, but they're advertising on Judge Apps.
>>
>>45342875
Not what they expected. It was supposed to be a product relaunch but instead it was just shit.
>>
>>45346175
Ever heard of stuff like SmogCon? UK has a lot of wargaming outside of GW.
>>
>>45353889
The heroes were always expensive, but the AOS ones are just absurd and I genuinely can't believe people actually buy them
>>
>>45353785
>This, if anything, is the Golden age of minis
This. There is so much veriety outside of the GW concentration stores.
>>
>>45355800
>concentration stores
calm down dude.
>>
>>45355992
What exactly makes you think I am not the image of calmness? The use of an exaggerated comparison?
>>
>>45353889
holy shit its true. Meanwhile, they're still selling the far superior metal Sisters Canoness for almost half what this abomination costs. Hey... what a fiasco!
>>
>>45356028
You so mad they call you Angron.
>>
>>45355733
I don't want to be slinging around blame for things I know little to nothing about, but, uh, maybe "otiose in a niche" does not apply to altering a major chunk of the niche.
>>
>>45338333

This is exactly my sentiment. In the age of online retail, bricks and mortar stores are a hugely expensive investment for any company. For a store based around tabletop gaming to draw people in it needs to be large and well-staffed. GW's product line can't support that on its own, which is why they've cut back so aggressively, but that in turn makes the stores less attractive. It's a vicious circle. If they are to survive in the long term they're going to need to either shed or diversify the shops, and redirect the money that was supporting them into supporting FLGSs, with sales bonuses, prizes for events, basically all the kinds of tricks that more far-sighted games companies employ.
>>
>>45345558
Black Lion Games?
>>
>>45354089

Fucking expensive.

Besides which, it's absolutely true that 3D printing isn't going to replace casting, and as anon said, it's for precisely the same reasons as inkjets not having replaced offset lithography for the production of books. It's just an absurdly more efficient system for the mass production of miniatures. Injection moulding can output product at a miniscule fraction of the cost of 3D printing, and much faster, and this will always be the case, for all eternity.
>>
>>45356876
But for a single person making their own figures for personal use, 3D pringing costs far less than buying and maintaining a full injection molding production line, just like how inkjet printers are much cheaper lithograph printing for personal use.

It's not going to drive Geedubs out of business on it's own, but when people have any alternative to buying the models, it will hurt at least a little, and they might not be able to handle that with every other way they're hurting.
>>
>>45357175
I definitely see what you mean. SLA printers can get as much detail as you want, and have plummeted in price in recent years, but they are entirely inefficient for mass production.
>>
>>45354089
Actual filament is really cheap, as any company can make it.

Resin for stereolithography is pricier though. Look at makerjuice.
>>
>>45338333
From what I know, GW shops have entirely pulled out of my country. I think local hobby shops still carry a few models, but not enough to actually build armies.
>>
>>45357419
The closest one around here closed down and wasn't reopened last I checked, because they couldn't find someone willing to work there.
>>
>>45338174
GW is fucking dead. Good thing is, some cool companies can rise now.
>>
>>45356815
That's one of them. Edinburgh games hub, tabletop cafe, etc etc.

Plenty of gamer friendly places as well. Illegal Jacks (Previously), Kilderkin and Drouthy Neebours come to mind. Pretty good place altogether for /tg/ stuff desu.
>>
>>45351489
>Their models have slowly gotten better

Yeah, they're now only moderately shit instead of completely shit.
>>
>>45360205
Stay mad

The Lower Abyssals are entirely hard plastic and completely ball jointed and come with extra weapons while Bloodletters still don't allow for that degree of posability, nor do Bloodletters include extra weapons.
>>
>>45346643
Honestly GW should invest into board games and cheaper starter sets sold at non-niche stores like walmart.

>Be kid
>See cool board game with these guys in power armour shooting aliens in a spaceship at Walmart
>Get parents to buy it
>Game tells me that I can use my models in another game if I buy a couple more models on the internet
>Get parents to buy me more models
>Now I have a space marine army

It isn't like it would even be that hard, they already have space hulk and officio assassinorum, it wouldn't be hard for them to make some sort of game involving the inquisition or bringing back Necromunda or something.
>>
>>45362357
first their board games would need to not cost one million burger dollars, anon
>>
>>45347516
I owned all of these cards as a child :)

>>45362357

Basically how 90% of kids that got into WH and 40k found the hobby in the early 90s in the UK.
Including me.
>>
>>45346722
Not really. I mean you can get other stuff in some places, but it's very hit and miss.
>>
>>45363447
oh you mean shop related.

just order online from firestorm/wayland where ever. Most places tend to have a model shop or something for paints or a shop for MtG etc.
>>
>>45362357
It was all over here a week or two ago, they're releasing cheap, simple 40k kits of and Ork Trukk with some boys and Space Marine Landspeeders, among other things. They'll be sold in mainstream toy shops.
>>
Ah, I remember back when GW just did White Dwarf and UK prints of games.
Seeing Warhammer shops on the high street, it's like seeing the defiled corpse of an old friend.
>>
File: 1315137-vlarge.jpg (14 KB, 299x225) Image search: [Google]
1315137-vlarge.jpg
14 KB, 299x225
>>45338174
Kirby killed Gamesworkshop.
It was because of him and the buy out that took GW's creator out of the scene.
Tom Kirby pushed the old guard away such as the mighty Overfiend.
>>
>>45362357
To be honest the Dawn Of War games where a HUUUUUUGE marketing thing for GW.
Yet they where imbeciles and didnt cash in the blood ravens merch. Wasted potential there.
>>
>>45350337
Sadly though, even if GW brought back board games as standard, they'd probably overprice it rather than trying to remain competitive with the likes of CMON, FFG and SPM.
>>
>>45365756
Warhammer 40k Monopoly. $350 a box. $2000 in Australia.
>>
>>45365756
They do. The assassin game is £75 for 4 assassin figures and then 20ish others that the already make. Then plus a few cardboard bits.
>>
GW is about to pound the final nail in 40k's coffin. I have three 40k armies left, trying to convince myself to keep them. I have one HH army.

I have little interest in playing their games anymore. Bad rules = bad game. And GW seems to embrace the fact that they have bad rules.
>>
>>45353889
I don't think it looks all that bad, nor the other AoS models. My big issue is that they're so unnecessarily overdesigned. It's getting kinda ridiculous.
>>
File: Alert.jpg (56 KB, 250x250) Image search: [Google]
Alert.jpg
56 KB, 250x250
>>45364944

This, pretty much.

Us oldfags watched helplessly as WD chronicled the descent of our reliably lucrative hobby shop run by enthusiastic fanatics in denim into an awkward pseudo-corp run by educated but humourless idiots in business suits. If GW mgt had sought to systematically destroy everything customers liked about their company, they wouldn't have had to do anything different than they have done.

Nice work, boys.
>>
table top is not a niche hobby are you aware of TOYS or SKylanders or DnD or any thing that's a huge part of mainstream culture. actualy warhammer is very well known buy millions of people id say about half the people that know what world of Warcraft is know what warhammer is. the only people who think its a tiney hobby are people so absorbed in it that its all they have to spend their time on. or people who work in GW in finacials and admit only 2million people in this world are willing to pay for plastic minis each year. its not niche actually pay attention to the people coming into the most centrally located GW shop in your area Warhammer is fucking huge and its what makes all of us "fans" saying we know best or know some thing about economics or know some thing about "dynamic poses" or know some thing about sculpting or rules balance or any thing.. it makes all that shit we say a fucking joke.

because we are the small men. not the minis
>>
>>45368043
>pay attention to the people coming into the most centrally located GW shop in your area Warhammer
What GW shop in my area?
>>
>>45368214
then you live in a area and socioeconomic bubble to poor to play wargames and you should just accept that and get tabletop simulator and the new spacemarine mod pack
or just get into the fluff or some thing.
>>
>>45350245
To be fair, a massive influx of newcomers is usually bad, since it means they arrive in such numbers they have no respect for the subcultural norms of the people who made that community.

It's more or less colonization.
>>
>>45367431
GW wants to hold on to their crown of "most detailed" even if it means losing every shred of good design.
>>
>>45368243
No I just live in America. There are 2 GW stores in my state.
>>
Let's dispel once and for all with this fiction that Games Workshop doesn't know what they're doing. They know EXACTLY what they're doing. Games Workshop is undertaking a systematic effort to change this hobby, to make tabletop wargaming more like every other hobby.
>>
>>45368809
>
When I first saw a GW miniature I though "wow this is so fucking cool, it has so many small details". It was a fucking space marine though. Later I started collecting Sister of Battle and they seemed like a pinnacle of detail. Then I switched to WHFB plastic models because I though they looked much more interesting then 40k tin-can spacemen and boxy tanks. And the detail on those kits!
But GW keeps ramping up the detail and they went full retard with it. As someone who appreciates miniatures I can see their though process: they want to impress current players so they - not unlike me - buy more stuff. What they need though is to attract new blood and new blood is easily impressed.
>>
>>45368243
Do you live in the UK? Because everywhere else, these stores are incredibly rare.
>>
>>45340407
Actually, yeah, that might do it. Licensing out their IP to computer game companies then taking a share of the profit for each copy sold could get them some serious cash.
>>
>>45340488
I live in the south of England, and so far the only FLGS I know of is in a fairly small town about half an hour's drive from where I live. In the meantime, there's a GW in the middle of the town I live in, and another one about a different half hour drive away from that one.

From what I can tell, though, the situation is different in the north of England.
>>
>>45344904
GW originated in the UK.

Also, White Dwarf used to not be "lol, GW magazine".
>>
>>45374684
Well, they really try, they licensed a lot of shit for Android, but I think the main problem is that AAA developers doesn't interesting (or at least with current GW prices for license).
>>45374726
>GW originated in the UK.
But England looks is not enough for GW according to their financial reports in the last years.
>>
>>45356876
>and this will always be the case, for all eternity.
Once we can 3d print on nano scale you wouldnt believe what we could
>>
>>45356876
>that 3D printing isn't going to replace casting,
Because someone never saw Corvus Belli models?
>>
>>45339945
>single, bigger hobby stores (more like an flgs) in large cities
Problem with that is the sheer cost of larger real-estate in big cities. If they wanted to upscale the store, say in NYC (which is small as fuck) they'd be paying rent out the ass and would lose money in the longrun.
>>
>>45364981
I started after playing DoW1

I don't think GW will go away entirely, just expecting them to rethink their business practices. New CEO seems better, and they're trying to address the lack of new blood with the paint and build sets. I just don't know if they can salvage their relationships with flgs. I think they're either going to stagnate more or shrink. There's enough of a playerbase invested that they're not going out of buisness if they cut their retail stores.

It reminds me a bit of WotC stores closing down. I remember playing in battletech pods at their big store forever ago, and was sad to see it go. WotC isn't/wasn't nearly in the same situation though.

Somewhat related. Would an flgs chain work? There's one somewhat starting here, but I don't know how many more locations they plan to open.
>>
File: 364740.jpg (33 KB, 502x377) Image search: [Google]
364740.jpg
33 KB, 502x377
>>45375266
>Somewhat related. Would an flgs chain work? There's one somewhat starting here, but I don't know how many more locations they plan to open.

Finland has two or three flg chains. Pic related is the oldest and most dominating one. We have only one GW store in whole country.
>>
>>45375266
>>45375604
Australia has two flg chains.

Mind games and Good games
>>
>>45340488
I live in France and we have way more non-GW LFGS than GW ones.

What you say is true, but back in the day the GW stores weren't one-man stores, it was mostly hobby and community hotspot, so it was very newbie-friendly.

Nowadays, even the Hobby Shop full of neckbeards and obscure historical miniature lines is more newbie-friendly than a GW store.
>>
>>45375024
>Once we can 3d print on nano scale you wouldnt believe what we could
Have fun waiting years before the 5 billions transistors of your new processor are printed.
>>
>>45369977
>to make tabletop wargaming more like every other hobby

What like Angling and Masturbation?
>>
>>45375752
its not the processor that needs upgrading it the printer mouth and the movement.
You can already print very fine things but those printers cost a lot. I think that in 15 - 20 years printers will be fine enough to make GW bankrupt
>>
>>45375803
The problem is still
>using a printer mouth that can only print one thing at a time
VS
>other processes that can make huge amounts of content for cheaper
>>
>>45375835
no youre rught about that. But personal use is what will kill GW. people don't buy 6 HQs and such. So printing will be cheaper and GW will have to stop making single model products or make them very very very cheap
>>
>>45373292
Its also about those chinese recasts;
can't recast all that detail, anon
>>
>>45375918
But who will design that HQ in the first place ? Who will sculpt the original ?
>>
>>45376058
3D moddeling programs can do that.
>>
>>45376066
Automatically, just like that ? Poof, magic ?
>>
>>45376110
I don't know what point youre trying to make?
If you mean that they need a model to print. Well you can make one in a 3D modeling programs or laser scan exsisting model and copy them.
>>
>>45376143
>Well you can make one in a 3D modeling programs
Yeah just like you could do better than Rembrandt with GIMP, doesn't mean you actually know how to do it.
>laser scan exsisting model and copy them
That's a good way to starve the ones who know how to sculpt.
>>
>>45376172
>Yeah just like you could do better than Rembrandt with GIMP, doesn't mean you actually know how to do it.
You sure? You could always import models from the existing games if you want. 3D modeling isnt THAT hard
>That's a good way to starve the ones who know how to sculpt.
Thats the point Im trying to make. They need to become cheaper else people will look for alternatives
>>
File: 1452777754283.png (169 KB, 440x281) Image search: [Google]
1452777754283.png
169 KB, 440x281
>>45376200
>3D modeling isnt THAT hard
Here, state of the art CAD sculpts. Dare to say they are good.
>>
>>45376281
Yeah man, CAD sucks /sarcasm
>>
>>45375111
It's in Greenwich Village, they're already paying rent out the ass.
>>
>>45375765
No like hunting. Brace yourself for public protests and actual laws about how you can use your plastic spacedudes.
>>
File: SlutPatrol_01.gif (86 KB, 587x856) Image search: [Google]
SlutPatrol_01.gif
86 KB, 587x856
>>45338333
My flgs still sells Games Workshop stuff, but the selection has shrunk significantly and they don't even carry unpopular armies now.

I think one interesting thing GW did that's hurt them over the long run, at least in terms of getting or retaining players, is that they've hiked their prices to match inflation every single year. In a normal economy that wouldn't be too crazy, but in an economy like ours where the normal wage has stagnated or even dropped since 2000, raising prices every year makes the models feel so expensive.

I used to be a huge collector. I even had apocalypse models bought from Forgeworld, but eventually I quit because the game got too expensive for me. Seriously - let me underscore how insane that is. I bought models from fucking Forgeworld and then quit playing because the hobby got too expensive as a whole.

That and I played Nids, who became the most boring, least-malleable army, most tactically restricted army for all of 5th edition and most of 6th.
>>
>>45350200

As someone who has ordered models from Mantic before and had them take 10 fucking weeks to arrive I have to say that picture pisses me off. What the fuck are they doing over there? Just wasting time with dumb shit.

Get your fucking shipping sorted out before wasting time with this kind of stupid bullshit.

This is why I don't give Mantic my money any more.
>>
>>45342918

Nope. Just angry neckbeards gnashing their teeth and making up theories like this guy.

>>45345391
>>
>>45378164
>Just angry neckbeards gnashing their teeth
Just because he don't like GW?
Thread replies: 143
Thread images: 12

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.