[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I need system recommendations for a campaign based on Metal Gear
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 4
File: 4tdtDTE.jpg (147 KB, 850x1200) Image search: [Google]
4tdtDTE.jpg
147 KB, 850x1200
I need system recommendations for a campaign based on Metal Gear Solid. More so the "Operators Operating Operationally" side than the "Nanomachines and Bisexual Vampires" side.

Note I don't want something that emulates the gameplay of the series so much as the feel of series: special forces units, international espionage, etc.
>>
>>48337917
Gurps does operators operating operationally extremely well.
>>
>>48337932
What edition + books?
>>
Champions complete (Hero system)
>>
>>48337917
Why would one attach his radio to the back of his waist and not connect it to an earpiece?
>>
>>48337953
4th Edition, core books + High Tech + Tactical Shooting.
>>
>>48337917
So Twilight 2000?
>>
>>48337953
4th edition. You'll want High-Tech and probably Tactical shooting.
>>
Savage Worlds has a great stealth system that works a lot like MGS's. Works better than GURPS for a more pulpy tale like MGS, too.

Actually everything works better than GURPS
>>
>>48338176
Lies and slander. SW works alright for a more cinematic game, but operators operating is one of Gurps' strong suits
>>
>>48338227
Sure, if you like your games slow as ass and with overcomplex chargen
>>
>>48338264
>Sure, if you like your games slow as ass
Yes, that sounds like operators operating to me. Exactly what OP asked for.
>>
>>48338280
I dunno, I see it more as fuckloads of tension punctuated by suppressed gunshots when things go bad
>>
>>48337917
Shadowrun probably would work.

Ninjas and Superspies if you want to relive the 1980s
>>
>>48338684
I do have a soft spot in my heart for Palladium, since Rifts was the first RPG I ever played...
>>
File: 1468064262013.gif (22 KB, 508x408) Image search: [Google]
1468064262013.gif
22 KB, 508x408
>>48339429
I play a MSG style game of RECON with a group. They take the role of a strike team for a merc company they lead. Lots of action, and calling in for resources. Unfortunately, high causalities because of the lack of Small Unit Tactics by the players cause the game to grind down to a one or two of the 5 getting out alive. Next mission is straight out of MGSV, of finding the intel of troop movements and taking out the enemy tank company.
>>
>>48340409
How well does RECON work outside of the 'Nam setting? How do you handle things like body armor?
>>
File: 1464729008257.jpg (145 KB, 1242x1227) Image search: [Google]
1464729008257.jpg
145 KB, 1242x1227
>>48341187
Half damage and no penetration on body part that was covered in armor yet hit. The latest edition has a "mercenary" chapter that explains the role of combat advisors. Plus, it gives you rather narrative missions.

Heads up though, you can be domed by a lucky shot by an irregular, fried by a flamethrower with skill rank 1, turned to salsa by UXO, assassinated via shit alertness roles, or become a burden to your team by a shot to your favorite leg. Don't get too attached to you character.

That being said it's worth it when they plan, sortie prep, attack, raid, and react AS A TEAM. it gives me pride being a MD.
>>
>>48342367
>That pic
I have my next character now.
>>
File: 1468684001155.jpg (62 KB, 532x936) Image search: [Google]
1468684001155.jpg
62 KB, 532x936
>>48342367 same guy but here are some tips.

>Do watch out for weapon skills, even though you take 5 ranks of M60, you're still suffering a penality when you switch to the RPK.

>Stealth kills are instant, but not noiseless

>Flamethrower is easy to use, effective, yet a walking bomb.

>Alertness is NOT a dump stat.

>it's more effective to upgrade skills than to upgrade stats

>carry more grenades, every type

>Bring a LAW Small arms are not effective against armor

>check each others gear in game.

>don't let Doc die

>take a skill in your enemy's primary weapon just in case

>Sortie prep every mission.

>fire missions are a life saver. I'll take the hit on finances and survive.

>flashlights and night vision gogs
>>
>>48342367
>>48343249
How do you handle MOS's?
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.