[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Do any other anons just worldbuild for the sake of it? I'm
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 3
File: 1468706984416.jpg (79 KB, 500x660) Image search: [Google]
1468706984416.jpg
79 KB, 500x660
Do any other anons just worldbuild for the sake of it? I'm not interesting in gaming or even really writing fiction for that matter. I'm guess I'm just interested in how the community here differs.

Pic unrelated
>>
>>48328626

I used to, many years ago. But over time it got more and more depressing to see these places lying idle and unused, never to be explored by real people. I got so sick of seeing my ideas folders and being reminded of that that I hid them in cupboard. Then every time I got something from that cupboard I'd remember the folders and feels bad. In the end I burned them all in my back garden.
>>
>>48328626
Yes.
We have all types here.
There is a world building general thread up usually.
>>
File: light-broken.jpg (48 KB, 508x760) Image search: [Google]
light-broken.jpg
48 KB, 508x760
>>48328626
I gave up on worldbuilding years ago, much like I gave up on life.
>pic related
>>
>>48328626
Yep! I write short stories about them or just let them languish.

I like inventing people and places so it's perfect.
>>
>>48328626
Fucking around with bits and pieces of 'what if' can be fun. And some of the detritus from it can end up useful in other projects.
Sort of a form of mental exercise, if you don't have other projects in motion.
Granted, the worlds you build will not necessarily be useful for gaming or stories if they aren't designed with that in mind. Something that people sometimes forget, I think.
>>
>>48328729
>>48328626

Since it is currently down, I'll use this thread as an excuse to post a request.

There's usually a bunch of guides on how to make okay maps, and I can't find any good guides (or tools) online. If anyone can direct me to either tools or guides, I'd be much obliged.
>>
>>48328626
Yes. Have been doing it since I was a kid
>>
>>48328626
write a book
>>
>>48328626
If you worldbuild because you genuinely, sincerely enjoy it, and take pleasure in it, fair enough. Keep doing what you do.

But so often I see people who worldbuild because they think it's an easier route to praise and admiration than writing an actual story. They're the types who jump at the chance to tell people about the fanciful world they're building, because they want props for being ~creative~ and ~artistic~, without actually putting in the hard work, sweat and tears to actually get there.

Ideas are fucking cheap, and that's all chronic worldbuilders are: the Idea Guys of literature. If you worldbuild, I suggest you take a good long look at your work, and ask yourself, honestly, if you're doing this stuff for yourself, or if you're doing it to try and impress others. Because believe me, no-one is impressed.
>>
>>48335944
Savage
>>
Yes but, I also try to work those ideas into settings or games I'm running. That said before generals were a dime a dozen There was a strong trend of community worldbuilding(that didn't involve quests). Sadly though I think those days are long since passed.
>>
File: Lant_biu.jpg (34 KB, 490x333) Image search: [Google]
Lant_biu.jpg
34 KB, 490x333
>>48335944
Is there anything you'd like to share, Anon?
>>
>>48335944
Not the OP, but I do the same thing. I keep my ideas largely to myself (including the internet, my ideas are dumb), and really only world-build with a buddy of mine. We have a rough idea for something kinda neat, and we're using it as a WoD template until either of us is accomplished at anything to make use of it.
>>
>>48328626

I personally find that my best work comes from writing down a bunch of crazy rantings and ravings and then discarding 99% of it and preserving a tiny kernel of useful info for the game world.

So I guess.....no?

I can build a functioning world, but I don't see the point unless it's being used for a game.
>>
Sometimes. But also >>48328767
>>
>>48335944
I feel like you're being asinine. I mean, I know someone who I routinely get frustrated by because she's clogging up the chat with some new worldbuilding idea, but that's honestly a stupid way of looking at things.

People like telling everyone about their worlds because they want to share. Getting props is rarely if ever the main reason for doing it, and there are much easier ways for people to call you creative and artistic.
>>
I used to want to be a novelist, but honestly I just like exploring ideas. When something fits, I put it in, if I dont like it, I change it.

I've been worldbuilding for 14 years now. It feels like a living world when people play in it because I like to run campaigns that move on an in-world calendar. Since events, holidays, weather, etc can all occur, and I can map a moving in-world schedule, my players feel like they're in something a lot larger than it is. I've only been doing TTRPGs for two and a half years.

Forever DM, and I still enjoy it.

>>48335944
My players like it. They keep asking for more anyway. So long as they keep playing, I keep making
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.