[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Official WOT melee skill powerlevel
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 58
Thread images: 10
File: image.jpg (70 KB, 900x772) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
70 KB, 900x772
Highest to lowest:

>Gawyn with bloodknife ring
>Lan
>Gawyn without bloodknife ring
>Galad
> Rand with both hands
>Tam
>Perrin
>Elyas
>Gaul and Rhuarc
>Rand one hand

* Wildcard*
>Mat
>>
File: image.jpg (14 KB, 206x266) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
14 KB, 206x266
>>48320137
> Wildcard
>>
>>48320137
mat beat up gawyn and galad in a duel, after still being weak from being semi healed from his cursed dagger wound. So as long as it is melee only, I would say Mat is best.
>>
>>48321441
Even then, Matt's incredible luck means he could potentially accidentally do something literally impossible, and make it look graceful as fuck and planned the whole time. That's BEFORE he got genius tactical planning and fighting (and dancing) muscle memory of uncountable ancient heroes. After that, he went one-on-one, in the middle of actual war battle, with Couladin, who was at least considered dangerous with his spears by reasonable Aiel. And started taking down Myrddraal practically subconsciously.
>>
>>48320137
>Gawyn with bloodknife ring
>Dies
>>
>>48320137

Nah bruh. Demandred cucked both Gawyn (with his ring) and Galad. Lan then cucked Demandred. Therefore Lan > all. Mat still remains a wildcard though and could feasibly take Lan due to his luck.
>>
>>48320137
word of RJ is that Lan is number 1 and Rand (when he had both hands) was number 2 when it came to swordsmanship

So as far as swords are concerned it's something like

>Lan
>Rand
>Demandred/Be'lal
>Galad
>Gawyn
with a whole bunch of other blademasters like Tam, Hammar, Turak and so on following

Mat probably slots in somewhere between Galad and Rand, but I don't know whether he would be better or worse than the Forsaken
>>
Are people retarded? Mat wasn't a swordsman in any way, shape or form. He was the best with the bow in Emon's Field, one of the best with the staff, which translated to his ashandarei. I think he specifically said that he was ass at swording people.
>>
>>48322005
OP said melee skills, not limited to swordplay
>>
>>48321875
Wrong, Demandred beats all. The only reason why Lan won was because Lan approached it as a death mission instead of a sword duel.
>>
File: 1344384194360.jpg (625 KB, 680x850) Image search: [Google]
1344384194360.jpg
625 KB, 680x850
>>48320137
I don't think Perrin is better than Gaul or Rhuarc. He is only better when in the dream world, but not in the physical.
>>
>>48322303

THICC
>>
>>48320137

Jesus, who does enjoy this bloated shit?

WoT could be touched literally as a HBO-series only.

OP is a gigantic faggoth, even so, a perma-virgin.
>>
>>48320137
So, from a practical standpoint, does the hybrid katanna/saber with an angled guard make any sense? I know it fits his post apocalyptic cultural blender, but would they actually be good swords?
>>
>>48322303
Agreed. Perrin was mostly just absurdly strong, he wasn't a well trained warrior. He let instinct and brute strength win him his fights. and if I recall he didn't fight all that many really capable people outside of the wolfdream?
>>
>>48326014

Probaby not desu
>>
>>48326014
The blade itself isn't too bad. The guard is pretty retarded.
>>
>>48320259

Hue that pic is basically Mat.
>>
Was anyone else hyped when Noal turned out to be Jain Farstrider even though it was pretty obvious since his first introduction and then gets to be a Hero of the Horn
>>
>>48324844
>WoT could be touched literally as a HBO-series only.
And soon it will be
>>
>>48326165

I'd disagree. He pretty much went toe-to-toe with eight foot tall Trollocs all the time, has killed Fades, and he regularly killed Aiel.

The most disappointing thing about Perrin is Faile.
>>
>>48327224
Nah, wasn't invested in him.
>>
>>48327522
I would argue te most disappointing thing is how long it took for his character to get over the fact that people wanted him in charge.
>>
>>48327677
Yeah but that was just him refusing his destiny and the responsibility that was involved, like sending people to their deaths. He was just to kind hearted

also Lan == greatest followed by mat
>>
>>48327522
>>48327677
The most disappointing thing was how much wolfing wolf wolf a wolf would wolf.
>>
More importantly is there a braid tugging and dress straightening power level chart?
>>
Daily reminder that Gurm thinks Jaime Lannister can take Rand.

http://grrm.livejournal.com/147038.html
>>
>>48327806
Yeah his bitch in about having super powers did get old, shut if j got the things he could do I would be happy as a mouse in a cheese factory
>>
>>48327852
Hmmm hard one, is Jaime wearing armor? That has its advantages and disadvantages.
>>
>>48327852
Maybe if a popularity contest decides the winner.
>>
>>48327852

I think not. Especially if Rand is using the One Power. Jaime was good, maybe once in a generation good, but Rand is stupidly overpowered halfway through the series.

Even losing a hand doesn't slow him down that much, and eventually he gets Lews Therin's memories and personality merged with his own. At that point, there's nothing even a two-handed sister-screwing arrogant prick of a Lannister Jaime could do to keep up.

I like Jaime a lot more than I like Rand, and I do like Rand.
>>
>>48327852
Rand uses balefire.
Jaime dies, and there is nothing he can do.
Hell, I think Jaime is the better character and I know he'd lose.
>>
>>48320137
Mat is probably on the same level as Lan. Also Rand with one hand wasn't that massively gimped.
>>
>>48327852
wtf did I just read. Jaime wins because of GRRM's OC. wow.
>>
File: Graendal.jpg (443 KB, 680x850) Image search: [Google]
Graendal.jpg
443 KB, 680x850
Graendal be THICC
>>
>>48328110
Rand won that, if I recall correctly
>>
File: 1318746593166.jpg (233 KB, 1000x750) Image search: [Google]
1318746593166.jpg
233 KB, 1000x750
>>48327386
I thought it wasn't HBO who is doing it.
>>
>>48330436
They haven't announced who's doing it yet. HBO would kind of make sense, though, as GoT is winding down toward the end, they'll want to pick up another epic fantasy series to maintain the viewership they have for GoT.

The only other real option is Netflix.
>>
How good is the Wheel of Time series? Like objectively? What type of fantasy is it?

I got given the complete set last week from a friend who was emptying their bookshelves but I don't want to pull myself away from shitty HVNs to read it if it's not my cup of tea.
>>
>>48330607

It's pretty stabil if somewhat long winded.
>>
>>48330607
whats a HVN?
>>
>>48330720
Hentai Visual Novell maybe?
>>
>>48330607
It's utter tripe. Every character is a cardboard cutout, women are a collection of nervous tics and bitchiness, nothing ever happens and everyone thinks everyone else is cooler than them, the end.
>>
>>48330780
Sounds great, thank you!

>>48330671
I have no social life, sounds perfect.

>>48330720
What this guy said >>48330745
>>
File: 01-The-Eye-of-the-World-outside.jpg (277 KB, 1024x752) Image search: [Google]
01-The-Eye-of-the-World-outside.jpg
277 KB, 1024x752
>>48330607
8/10 overall
but there are parts that feel 3/10
>>
File: YGSMjQcKNC.jpg (60 KB, 480x608) Image search: [Google]
YGSMjQcKNC.jpg
60 KB, 480x608
>>48329286
>>
>>48330607
IMHO? You can ignore books 7, 8, & 10. Nothing of note plot-wise happens in 7 & 8 and you can see Jordan's writing suffer from his health in book 10. Books 11 & 12 were by another author and characters suffer as a result.
This is coming from a WoTFag
>>
>>48330607

It's high fantasy (in that, it's fantasy that takes place in a world not our own, but may be a world long before, or long after - when you read the prologue you'll understand).

The characters start out fairly normal power-wise, but by book 5 nearly all of them are badasses of some stripe.

However, >>48330780, and >>48331345 are spot on, though the former is being a bit too hard on it in my opinion.

Personally, I'd still read 7, 8, & 10, if only because there are some good bits.

Sanderson, who completed the series after Jordan's death, is not a terrible writer, but he's not anywhere in the same league as Jordan was. Jordan's prose, when he wasn't deliberately dragging his feat and describing things in painful detail, was exceptionally good and well paced. Books 1-3 in particular stand out (though for myself, I've re-read Eye of the World so many times it's become something of a chore).

>>48330780, despite the hard criticism isn't too far wrong. I disagree about the cardboard cutout characters (for men, anyway), but female characters tend to be exasperating Except based Moiraine and Verin in varying levels. Of particular mention are Egwene, Avienda, Nynaeve, Elaine, and all Aes Sedai save the two in the spoiler.

Several of the male characters have some silly "the grass is greener on the other side" opinions of their friends, that when they first crop up are somewhat insightful into their characters, but quickly devolves into a trope within the series because of how frequently the thought "[So and So] is so much better with women than me. Why do I suck so much at this?" comes up.

Source: Another WoTfag
>>
>>48331775
>Jordan's prose, when he wasn't deliberately dragging his feat and describing things in painful detail, was exceptionally good and well paced.
Different anon, and I'll grant you that. But God damn did he drag and over-describe.
>>
>>48330607
What's interesting about the series, though, and what I think makes it worth reading, is that it's taking the most hackneyed plot imaginable --- dark lord, farm boy, prophecy, overpowered protagonist etc --- and then taking that plot seriously. What's a world where everyone knows that only the protagonist can save them like? Does being an OP protag actually let you do any lasting good in the world? How does being a novel protagonist screw with your life? Etc.
>>
>>48328583
Hell, he could just wrap him up in weaves of air and stab him, no need to erase him

Also that's something almost any magic user in the setting could do, how's lannister gold or blade skill going to help there?
>>
>>48332051
If he'd had a better editor Wheel of Time could have been god-tier.
>>
>>48332051

Originally, he meant to write a trilogy, and as time went on he basically got to indulge himself because let's face it: There's not a whole lot of authors who write fantasy who will write a series as long as the WoT is, with the quality that it has (despite some of the things we all find annoying, Jordan was clearly a master wordsmith, and his world building is epic).

>>48332140

His editor was his wife. Which really begins to make you wonder not only about the quality of that editing, but also the way in which women are portrayed in the series.
>>
>>48332352
I still don't find the women that bad with a handful of exceptions. Mostly any person in power in the world is insufferable and the country folk are GOAT, and losing those folksy charms is a theme through many characters. Min is never comfortable, Elayne becomes humble as does Nynaeve, while Egwene uses slavery and political power to become one of those people.
>>
>>48320137
Mat is literally unbeatable. He has more martial training than anyone who has ever lived and he's luckier than anyone alive. Any answers that don't put him in the top spot are objectively wrong.
>>
>>48330541
I kinda don't want it to be HBO. Putting up with all the people suddenly really into ASOIAF and dealing with the show continuity (show Stannis) is not an experience I anticipate repeating with my favorite fantasy series.
>>
>>48332352
Jordan was like that guy who made wonder woman. He had a weird bondage relationship with his wife. He's also from the era of Conan so ya know
>>
File: 03-The-Dragon-Reborn.jpg (377 KB, 1024x770) Image search: [Google]
03-The-Dragon-Reborn.jpg
377 KB, 1024x770
>>48333572
At least there would be money behind it. I don't want to see a whole series like Winter Dragon.
Thread replies: 58
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.