[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Need Gming help
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 3
File: image.jpg (13 KB, 300x198) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
13 KB, 300x198
How do I deal with "suicide and re roll" players? The sort who treat their characters as nothing more than statblocks, take insane, aggressive risks, and if things go belly up,

>well, I'll just roll up a new character

I don't really want to kick someone for that, and I've found imposing penalties on the new character(s) causes problems if they're weaker than other party members.

Just recently had a game with a TPK, and it barely fazed the party. We'll just make new guise, right lol?
>>
Give them really good items.

Then don't give those items to their replacements.

And don't allow them to be recoverable.
>>
>>48307127
At least as of my latest example, I don't think that would work. They do seem resigned to loss of rank and equipment, and that doesn't seem to be enough deterrent.

I don't even think they care about "winning" or "losing" per se. As long as they have stories of the stupid shit they tried, they seem satisfied.
>>
What exactly is the problem? It sounds like your players are having fun while taking whatever you give them in stride
>>
Change your attitude.

Your players seem to be there to chill and have fun, and aren't taking the game too seriously. Go with the flow instead of trying to change how they play.

Or find a way to get them invested, that could work too.
>>
>>48307056
What do the players actually lose by dying in your game?
>>
>>48307056

Change your system or your mind. D&D has new characters/rerolls deep in its blood, as does Dogs in the Vineyard, Call of Cthulu, and Dread.

If persistent characters are important to you switch to a system that places a high mechanical value on relationships and character history. Alternately, make peace with the fact that your players like the churn, switch to a system that is more level-gap tolerant like 5e, and just hand out laminated character sheets and erasable markers.
>>
>>48307389
Because it's stupid and immersion breaking, and grounded in metagaming.

It's one thing to take a huge risk to try to stop the dragon from frying a town.

It's another to go "let's drink from the fountain in the dungeon with a skeleton at the foot of it, because if it kills me I'll just make a new guy.

>>48307585
Character him/herself, loss of any social privileges or advantages, often loss of time in finding a replacement and whatever consequent problems that causes.

>>48307405

Not being ok with literal metagaming is hardly an attitude problem, imo.
>>
>>48307879
My problem isn't churn per se. It's that my players consistently do stupid, dangerous shit, and openly discuss the risk of dying as no big deal because they can always make another character.
>>
>>48307056
Go non-lethal. Instead of the goblins killing the team, instead they get to breaking your leg before the local paladin comes in and saves you.

That magic trinket that could blow you up? No, it just hyper-curses you. Charging down a corridor without checking for traps? Literally all your weapons are now dust, and the ogre bouncer just casually tosses you out of the dungeon.
>>
>>48307882
>Character him/herself, loss of any social privileges or advantages, often loss of time in finding a replacement and whatever consequent problems that causes.
Have they realized that potentially cooler things will happen if they stay alive longer?
>>
>>48307939
I don't think so.
>>
File: get out of here, you're dead.gif (38 KB, 468x240) Image search: [Google]
get out of here, you're dead.gif
38 KB, 468x240
>>48307056
>>
http://archive.4plebs.org/tg/thread/48279948/#48279948

OP, is this you?
>>
>>48308220
Then show them something they're willing to level up and survive for.
>>
>>48308425
They don't even care about their own characters. I've yet to discover anything they give a damn about beyond "dude, that was awesome" stories.
>>
Encourage backstory. I work with a lot of new players in DnD. The first thing I do is ask them a set of specific questions to help them flesh it out.

1) Is your character young? Old? A child?

2) What kind of place does he come from? The city? A quiet village? Is he an orphan? Does he not know?

3) Who are some important people in your character's past? A teacher? Your parents? A love?

4) In one sentence what happened to that person/those people?

5) What's your character's biggest fear?

6) What's your character's dream? Wealth? Power? Peace? Love?

7) What do people who meet your character like about him/her? What do they dislike?

8) Your character might be the only one in his villiage/town/tribe/nation that has X. What is X?

After they spend a fair amount of time making someone they roleplay a bit, or invest their imagination in, they tend to stick with it.

Then, as the DM. Don't skimp on the roleplaying. Give them non-combat options when you can. Reward creative thinking or diplomacy. You set the tone for your group.
>>
>>48308465
Explain to them that leveling up and surviving will lead to even better "dude, that was awesome" stories. Or not, the players seem to be having fun either way.
>>
>>48307056
Play Paranoia. The PCs are expendable clones and completely expected to die before, during and after missions.
>>
File: ouch.jpg (654 KB, 1192x753) Image search: [Google]
ouch.jpg
654 KB, 1192x753
>>48307882
One of 3/3.5's many failures was encouraging autism re "metagaming". Before then, "TPK, laugh it off and reroll" was a reasonable play style.

This seems to be how your group wants to play. If that's not how you want to run it, politely let them know, so they can roll up a new DM, and you can roll up a new group.

Bringing it to 4chan, of all places, like we're somehow the arbiter of the "correct" way to have fun? That just makes you part of the problem.
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.