[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What's the point of Orks if Tyranids are a more threatening
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 5
File: mob.jpg (143 KB, 960x632) Image search: [Google]
mob.jpg
143 KB, 960x632
What's the point of Orks if Tyranids are a more threatening horde army?

What's the point of Chaos if Dark Eldar are better edgelords?

What's the point of SOBs if they are basically just female not-marines?

The setting wouldn't lose anything of value if those armies ceased to exist.
>>
>>48304329
Other way around, Tyranids and Dork Eldars are less interesting than Da Orkz or Chaos.
SoB I can't come up with anything for though.
>>
>>48304484
SoB are the token fapbait
>>
orks are OG xenos, and have been in the setting and game longer than every army that isn't codex space marines or eldar

I don't care about any of the other armies you listed, but getting rid of an original book RT army would definitely be losing something of value.
>>
>>48304528
Chaos was in Rogue Trader 40k too, if I remember right.
>>
>>48304329
Tyranids and Dark Eldar are lame.
SoB could just go and not exist though.
>>
File: 1386376582611.jpg (146 KB, 600x900) Image search: [Google]
1386376582611.jpg
146 KB, 600x900
>>48304329
>What's the point of Orks if Tyranids are a more threatening horde army?
Orks are comic relief. Tyranids are evil scary beasties
>What's the point of Chaos if Dark Eldar are better edgelords?
Chaos are the polar opposites of the poster boy Space Murhines
>What's the point of SOBs if they are basically just female not-marines?
Nuns with guns faggot
>The setting wouldn't lose anything of value if those armies ceased to exist.
This board would'nt lose anything if you died in Nice

/thread
>>
>>48304329
Dark Eldar have enough background going that lets them stand apart from CSM.
Nids have a huge ecosystem of units to differentiate themselves from Orks, who are the premium scavenger scum race second to none in the setting.

It's true, though, that SoB need to really up the Imperial cult imagery and feel to separate themselves from Marines. The Shield of Baal writing could have swapped them for Black Templar and nothing much would have changed.
>>
Umm

Anyway, I've thought for a while now Orks could do with a bit of development to make them more alien and terrifying.

And visually, it annoys me that they are basically green Mad Max, except Mad Max was explicitly a few years after the apocalypse on an industrialised planet with junk everywhere.
Not every ork is from GorkaMorka, so it doesn't make any sense for that to be the ubiquitous aesthetic.
I want to know how ork manufacturing looks, I think it would be interesting- poor metal casting, sloppy welding, stringy, lumpy rubber etc.
>>
>>48305082
>I've thought for a while now Orks could do with a bit of development to make them more alien and terrifying.

Zog off.
>>
>>48305082
But anon, it's a genetically encoded instruction. The orkz literally think that scrap randomly welded onto a trukk is the best armour there is. Also, orkz alredy has dem manufactorum thingies where dey makes shootas an' ammo.
>>
File: 200.jpg (651 KB, 1159x1704) Image search: [Google]
200.jpg
651 KB, 1159x1704
>>48304528
>orks are OG xenos, and have been in the setting and game longer than every army that isn't codex space marines or eldar
Tyranids too, and Imperial Guard (as "the army") and AdMech. Even Sisters had some fluff and art in the RT rulebook.

>>48304538
Depends on whether you mean the edition or just the original rulebook. Chaos wasn't in the latter and its role in the setting was first filled by miscellaneous warp creatures.
>>
>>48305130
My point was where does the scrap come from?
Where do the native ork weapons come from?
If they don't have any other races to slave, any alien infrastructure to hijack do they just run around naked and punch people until they do?
No, they'd fight each other with increasingly more powerful weaponry and someone needs to make that and it would look like a real ork.

What is pure ork culture, untainted by contact with weakling alien races?
>>
>but Orks are funny and cool anon
>it doesn't matter if they're lame, they're supposed to be lame
>this series is a big dumb parody anyway
>it needs a stupid faction so you know it's all a joke!
>if we meme enough and Orkpost everyone will join in and believe us!
>>
>>48305199
>I don't like Orks!
>>Okay
>I really don't like Orks, they are silly!
>>Okay
>I really really don't like Orks!
>>Okay
>>
File: 1464949178097.jpg (619 KB, 717x800) Image search: [Google]
1464949178097.jpg
619 KB, 717x800
>>48305199
>>
>>48304329
What's the point of Orks if Khorne already does the battle-craving, catch phrase spewing, berserker faction?

What's the point of Exodites if they're not going to get any attention?

What's the point of Tau if the Squats were there first?
>>
>>48305197
point of orcs is they would look the same, scrap technology is what theydo, they ight even be able to make functional foundries, but theywould still build scrap stuff, because that's what they do. No advancement.
>>
>>48306074
seconding that squats should be the super technological race,fuck tau's animu look, make them sturdy likea dwarf and technological like a squat
>>
File: Untitled.jpg (54 KB, 564x564) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.jpg
54 KB, 564x564
>>48306311
Dorf mechs.
>>
The POINT is money. If it sells, then it has a point. If it doesn't sell then GW failed to do their job, and they either improve it or they squat it.
>>
>>48304329
Reductionism is only useful if you don't arbitrarily remove actual differences.
>>
>>48305197
Well Anon they would probably be exactly like the feral Orcs from the Fantasy setting, using Bone/stone weaponry, leather armor/just warpaint and using giant Squigs/local beasties instead of vehicles.
>>
>>48304329
You play Orks because they are fun, because you havn't completely given up on life and because you don't pick an army that is the flavour of the season like a boring person would.
>>
>>48309326
>playing tabletop when Dawn of War exists

lmao at you I bet you are a skinny fedora wearing virgin manlet
>>
>>48304329
Orks pretty much are removed from the game. Their current codex and state of the army is so abysmal, that only the truly massochistic players made of money are still playing them.
>>
>>48309326
Orks haven't been fun for 2 editions.

Believe me, I fucking know.
>>
>>48309426
Still fun to bring against friends and to play in casual games, but I'll agree that you would have to be a madman to bring them to a tournament and expect to do well with them.
>>
>>48309515
No, they're not. They're only fun to play now if you enjoy scraping heaps of models off the table each turn. Sometimes your own. GW done fucked up with this codex. It's a metric ton of shit-on-chips, and it gutted what enjoyment was left in the army after Phil fucked over the 4th ed one.
>>
>>48307382
>they either improve it or they squat it.
GW is incapable of doing the former so it's basically always the latter.
>>
>>48309760
This is broadly true of most armies nowadays. The only question is are you too good or too bad.
>>
>>48310171
Or if you're sisters, exist.
>>
>>48310171
True, but unfortunately it feels like the Orks still got the shittiest deal with the current codex and even though I still enjoy dicking about with them, I cannot deny how much they've been butchered.
>>
>>48310171
>you're the bad one, hurr
Yeah, no. Orks are in a shit state right now. They have no combat invulnerable saves, making them terrible in close combat. Their "big centerpiece wraithkbight/riptide/dreadknight equivalent" is awful, costs almost as much as a wraithknight, and is only useful for it's expensive force field. Mob Rule BLOWS FUCKING ASS. This is worse than 5th ed when Fearless made you lose extra models in combat. You can't even field warbike armies anymore. And GW still hasn't gotten over their obsession with not allowing the orks to have an actual selection of weapon upgrades. Big shoota or rokkit launcha is all you pretty much get, until you get to nobs or vehicles.

At this point, the only players who actually think the Orks "are fine, get gud, buy 270 boys", aren't even playing the goddamned army. The Waaagh forums are a ghost town, and that was the driving force of the the ork community for over a decade!
Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.