[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Need a magical girl RPG system. Not very granular, more roleplaying
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2
File: nanoha.jpg (1 MB, 3494x2444) Image search: [Google]
nanoha.jpg
1 MB, 3494x2444
Need a magical girl RPG system. Not very granular, more roleplaying than game.

Is Magical Fury any good? Is there anything besides that and Burst to use?
>>
>>48304254
Play MAID.
>>
>>48304254
FATAL seems perfect to you.
>>
>>48242575 is a Magical Girl storytime thread which has some discussion of systems. The game itself uses Legends of the Wulin, but people in the thread talk about using M&M.
>>
>>48304276
Maid is quite literally refluffed Burst.
>>
>>48304655

...Except Maid existed as a game before Magical Burst was even conceived of?
>>
>>48304668
Well, yes, so it's the other way around, good catch.
But the point remains, they're same system with different labels.
>>
>>48304284
>more roleplaying than game
>FATAL
Lurk until you've learned your memes newfriend.
>>
>>48304679

Even then, at least last time I checked, Maid and Burst are completely different. Maid is a lighthearted comedy RPG with a ludicrously random system. Burst is a wonky *World hack with janky mechanics that always sets up the PC's to lost and fails to replicate any known Magical Girl show.

The only similarity is the random tables.
>>
>>48304750
>The only similarity is the random tables.
When random tables make 80% of the game, that's similarity a plenty.
>>
>>48304254
>Is there anything besides that and Burst to use?
There's the Sailor Moon RPG, which is tweaked BESM.
>>
>>48304254
I'd joke about GURPS, but I'm honestly not sure how you'd even go about hacking it into a lightweight magical girl game.

>>48304647 isn't wrong about Mutants & Masterminds being an option, though, and to be honest I suspect that any superhero RPG could be somewhat easily refluffed into mahou shojo? Magical girls and super sentai are pretty much just japanese superheroes, aren't they? M&M might not be exactly what you're after, though - chargen can be pretty granular, and it's pretty d20.

The biggest obstacle, I think, is the whole "more roleplaying than game" thing - you want something lightweight, and due to the seemingly obsessive need for complexity present in the industry that's a conundrum.
Then again, if you go lightweight enough you're brushing up against super-lightweight systems like RISUS and the like, which are basically freeform with dice. Take the Star Trek RPG Lasers & Feelings, for instance - you have one stat, rated 2-5, which you roll a d6 under (for FEELINGS, i.e. Kirk stuff) or over (for LASERS, i.e. Spock stuff). That's pretty much it.
I'm somewhat surprised that there isn't a superlightweight magical girl game out there already, to be honest! You could probably do a lot with the classic archetypes.

>>48304284
Like >>48304702 said. FATAL is one of the most uselessly mechanics-intensive games out there - it's a good joke for people after complicated or erotic or "realistic" games, but completely misses the mark when the OP is after something lighter.
>>
>>48304254
Fate Core might be what you're looking for, but it comes with some assembly required. You need to have a clear idea of the tone you're going for, communicate it well to the players, and pick subsystems and variant rules from the Toolkit to tailor the game to the story. This is true for every game to some extent, but Fate suffers more than usual if you neglect it.

It's available for free though.
>>
If you don't mind going through the World of Darkness system, there's a homebrew called Princess: The Hopeful.

My group's planning on starting it soon. So far we have:
>Nice little orphan Russian medic girl with eyepatch
>Brute Force Jock
>A phantom thief who's teen-rebelling against her rich parents
>One more guy, his fluff's slightly undecided but he was kicked out of school for gayness (It's the 60's, it happened)
>>
>>48305529
>he was kicked out of school for gayness
>>
Tokyo Heroes

Made for magical girl and sentai games with emphasis on teamwork and all of that
>>
>>48305529
I'm going to second this. Princess: the Hopeful is a decently crafted magical girl RPG.
>>
>>48304254
We've made use of Battle Century G for a Kill la Kill game before. Just everyone uses the Powerarmor rule.

Worked pretty well.
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.