[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Riddles
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2
File: riddler.jpg (235 KB, 800x952) Image search: [Google]
riddler.jpg
235 KB, 800x952
You are asked to find the volume of an old antique vase. The vase is fragile and you cannot move it what so ever. Using what is in a doctors office how do you do it?
>>
Slowly fill the vase with water via syringe, keep track of how many cc of water go in. /thread
>>
>>48290937
Science doctor or Doctor doctor?
>>
>>48290937
>>48290974
African or European swallow?
>>
>>48290974
Physician
>>
Take a large plastic container, and slice off the top and bottom turning it into a large tube, place it over the vase, and create a seal around the volume with putty.

Then fill the vase and the container with clean water from the doctor's sink until the exact point the vase is covered. Calculate the volume via width*depth*height of the vase and the water.

Then use a suction machine (used for cleaning out blood and the like) to drain both the container and the vase, and calculate the volume of the resulting water. Subtract this from the previous number and you have the volume of the vase.
>>
>>48290937
Am i right in thinking that by fragile you mean it cannot be filled with water?

Otherwise
>>48290953
/thread
>>
>>48290953
>>48291075
That only tells you how much liquid it can hold. I'm sure he wants the actual volume of its material. As in how many cubic centimeters it would fill if turned into dust.
>>
OP has abandoned us
>>
>>48291146
In that case

Anon here is right:
>>48291048

But if you'll allow me to clean up his method a little: Take a container of known volume, place it around the vase (with putty because it cant move) fill the container with water as well as the vase using a beaker with cm^3 gradations on it, calculate how much water is displaced by vase i.e. Archimedes method. By calculating the width*depth*height and subtracting the total volume you added from the beaker.

That will give you the actual volume of the vase itself.

I think im correct, but its been a while since i was in a lab.
>>
>>48290937
I thought this was gonna be a riddle thread, how come there's only a physics/math problem?
>>
>>48290937
use a stethoscope
find its "volume"
>>
>>48291378
It is a math problem, but at the same time you have a very severe restriction and have to think about how to utilize the aforementioned archimedes method without moving the vase.

>>48291335
Yeah your method is more efficient than mine, I yield the cookies to you.
>>
File: 5330.jpg (108 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
5330.jpg
108 KB, 640x480
>>48291426
You cheeky cunt this is probably the right answer.
>>
Where the fuck is Batman?
>>
>>48290937
Use a stethoscope, it's volume is very quiet, or throw it at something, it's volume is rather loud
>>
>>48291426
Lmao
>>
I smash the vase and determine the volume is NOTHING. Fuck you, Riddler. You can't make me do math.
>>
>>48293849
>>>/b/
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.