[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Can a necromancer reanimate leather? It doesn't have connective
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 4
File: necromancer.jpg (402 KB, 1424x842) Image search: [Google]
necromancer.jpg
402 KB, 1424x842
Can a necromancer reanimate leather?

It doesn't have connective tissue to move with, but neither do skeletons. And I could easily imagine a necromancer flaying the skin off someone and animating it as some horrific flying strangler. So why not leathers or furs?
>>
>>48290462
I guess? Not sure what use it'd do since shit doesn't have muscles... Maybe if you could imbue some unholy powers into it and use for armor?
>>
>>48290482
>Not sure what use it'd do since shit doesn't have muscles
Skeletons don't have muscles either.

Which made me thinking. The question often comes up: how can a skeleton, which is only bare bones, move? And the answer is often lol magic. But could you use reanimated leather to make them move, to act in a similar fashion to muscles?
>>
It makes no sense that you can reanimate skeletons without any connective tissues to provide locomotion.
In my game I run reanimated skeletons as being bone puppets suspended by evil magic. Attacking the skeleton disrupts the magic that binds it together. The skeleton's strength comes from the force of the magic that moves the bones and it's intelligence is provided by the spell.
Zombies are easier, since their locomotion comes from the mostly intact tissues.
>>
>>48290462
i can say with supreme authority as the lord of all fiction that they cannot. necromancers imbue things with a mimicry of life. skeletons mimic their behaviour when they were alive, moving around by magic in the same manner as they moved around with muscles. leather is too detatched from its original form to mimic anything.

but of course it depends on the setting.
>>
Make a skin monster for whatever game you're playing. Or are you just shitposting because you don't actually play games?
>>
>>48290559
your line of reasoning makes me wonder if a sheep intestine condom imbued with a mimicry of life by a necromancer wouldn't count as both condom and fleshlight due to peristaltics being in play
>>
Dwarf Fortress creator Toady, upon creating the game's necromancy system, decided that pretty much every body part could be raised. Skeletons make no goddamn sense to be walking around on their own, so why not have WHOLE HUMAN AND/OR BEAST(MAN) SKINS WALKING AROUND.
>>
>>48290617
Don't forget the reanimated lumps of hair and reanimated mollusk shells.
>>
>>48290462
Why the fuck would reanimated leather be able to fly?
>>
>>48290462
I'd go with anything that hasn't been treated, cooked, or otherwise repaired can be raised by a necromancer. So, raw meat, sure, but not grilled steak. You can't reanimate a jacket, but you could the recently-removed skin of a wolf.
>>
>>48290462
Skin - yes, leather - no. Increased durability is not the main point of tanning.
>>
Isn't this why jews cut their foreskins, to make skin golems?
>>
>>48290462
Not really, but you can totally animate skin though. Look up "skin kite".
>>
>>48290462
Because they are processed, and no longer considered a carcass. If this were possible, where do you suggest we draw the line? Food? Clothing? Gut-based bow strings? Perfumes containing whale oil?

Common sense anon.
>>
>>48291274
Okay, now I want to see some kind of Ur-necromancer class where erasing that line is the whole premise.
>>
>>48290462
Leather no, it's be cured
Furs and hides? Maybe
>>
>>48290738
That and pockets to hold all their gold.
>>
>>48290462
That could be neat, leathermen, advanced undead made from a whole skin, carefully removed still alive in a necromantic ritual, treated with alchemical fluids and inscribed inside with arcane ruins.
The process that creates them maintains the flexibility of the once living skin but without the limitations of life so it can bend around obstacles and slip through cracks and with an unnatural magical toughness like hardened leather strong enough to choke out breath and break bones or even bind victims inside for retrieval or for an ally to finish off.

Prized as personal guards and assassins among vampires for their usefulness in immobilising prey and their ability to follow their master through tight spaces more solid servants cannot, not to mention the undeath-saving use as a shield from a surprise exposure to sunlight.
>>
>>48299968
>arcane ruins
lol, runes, probably fucked up some other stuff too but whateves
>>
>>48291274
>Food
You could assassinate the royal family with their royal feast!
>Clothing?
Pretty sure there's already a monster in d&d that's animated clothes.
>Gut-based bow strings?
How about an undead bow made from bones and gut-strings?
>Perfumes containing whale oil?
The noxious fat cloud undead of the most beautiful queen, ancient lich tyrant obsessed with covering the rancid decaying truth of her existence under endless layers of rare and toxic makeup and perfume.

The line is only limited by your imagination and what you personally prefer.
>>
>>48290462
Once it's "cooked" in any way, it falls out of undeath magic and into food magic.
>>
>>48302167
whynotboth.jpg
>>
We need some limits.

If we went entirely off things being dead. necromancers would be able to animate wood, shit, hair, fingernails, Hillary Clinton's humanity, dead skin cells that exist in surprisingly large quantities, some soils and tonnes of other shit.
>>
>>48302284
>reanimate dead skin cells that exist in surprisingly large quantities

if that worked necromancers could run awesome spa treatments
>>
>>48290462
I'd say they can't animate tanned leather or treated furs, since almost all of the structure which it had in life has been removed. A treated hide is no longer physically, chemically, and presumably magically, similar to untreated flesh.

There has to be some point where materials derived from body parts stop counting as body parts themselves, otherwise you might end up with ridiculous things like a necromancer being able to direct the enemy's cannon like gun turrets because the wheels of their carriages and the axle of the piece itself were lubricated with rendered fat. That's just silly.

Rawhide, though, a necromancer could totally control that. Not 100% sure on furs, since most depictions of necromancy can't work with hair, even if it is technically dead tissue.
>>
>>48290603
Jesus christ you need to get help.
>>
>>48290462
Dear OP,

I would like to tell you and all the other assholes asking questions about magical things that can't possibly be answered with anything more than opinions that you are cancerous assholes.

With that out of the way and to avoid the possibility of being accused of non-tg related posting, the answer to this and every other moronic, absolutely stupid question like it is: DOTS.

Take it, print it, crumple it up, vigorously shove it in and out of your ass until you papercut the cancer away.
>>
File: o2wl14M25M1tlljfxo1.jpg (211 KB, 800x533) Image search: [Google]
o2wl14M25M1tlljfxo1.jpg
211 KB, 800x533
>>48302284
Pretty sure animated grave-dirt is already a thing in some fiction.
Undead plants might be a thing too though some magical systems have an arbitrary separation between animals and plants because magic, a necrotically corrupted dryad could be interesting too.
Animated hair could work with a creepy grudge-like undead, maybe even throw in a voodoo theme.
A nail/claw undead/golem is as reasonable as some other stuff out there like stained glass golems or some of the wackier undead.
Really the only limit is having the imagination to make it work in your world.

Also nice job not being able to help yourself from bringing inane political bs into any possible topic.
>>
File: Animated furs.gif (996 KB, 315x163) Image search: [Google]
Animated furs.gif
996 KB, 315x163
>>48290462
>furs
Minor martial potential, major psychological damage.
>>
>>48302284
>dead skin cells
Isn't that how necromorphs are created?
>>
>>48300230
>food
the King was apparently killed after eating food, even though his right-hand man used detect poison on the food and assures you the food was clean

>Clothing
The tailor was killed in his workshop, problem is that the house was closed from the inside and he was the only one with keys to his door

Damn now I need more of those
>>
File: what_did_you_say.jpg (1 MB, 628x360) Image search: [Google]
what_did_you_say.jpg
1 MB, 628x360
In Planescape Torment skeleton are animated with leather muscle and bolts. Others have spelled armor that I assume helps hold the bones inside together.

In the Diablo series you can spawn walking skeletons and golems using nothing but blood and dirt.
>>
>>48307691
How about the princess having a fatal fall the first ride out with her new gift saddle, attendants say the horse seemed spooked as soon as they were getting it ready. (undead saddle)

Or undead former friends and neighbors increasing in number around a remote village but with no sign of disturbed graves, just rumors of the very ground bulging and shifting at the corners of the vision of those brave enough to investigate.(reanimated grave dirt)

Or a mysterious cursed opera house that is rumored to kill all who enter.(undead awakened instrument bards)
Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.