[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/gbg/ Guild ball General
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 58
Thread images: 5
File: Guild Ball Generalismo.jpg (146 KB, 888x500) Image search: [Google]
Guild Ball Generalismo.jpg
146 KB, 888x500
Guild Ball General: Big League Edition

>What is Guild Ball
Guild Ball is a 30mm skirmish game featuring medieval mob football produced by Steam Forge games. The same people making the Dark Souls board game.

>Rules. All rules are up for free including the individual models
http://steamforged.com/resources/

>How to play
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLRosiamZQJZSZEpNH5W1yHe1QcdlVJvkH

>Information on how to pick a faction
http://ozball.club/2016/01/new-to-guild-ball/

Topic: the big league

Any experience with it so far? Loving it? Hating it? Hoping you don't get seeded against the spooks next week because god dammit I'm sick of that shit eating grin the Ob player gets when he legendaries
>>
bumpin
>>
Played this game. Enjoyed it. Then I played against Obulous over and over and then proceeded to never touch it for a few months.

Has he been tweaked or have they give new releases to better deal with Obulous?
>>
>>48291296
is obulous really op or are people just whining? I am just now staritngthe game and always hear about it.
>>
>>48291345
I play against Obulous a lot, you get use to him. His really not as bad as people say once you know what your doing. I play fishermen and Alchemists but have never played Midas.
>>
>>48291345
>>48291296

He's not OP, but he is a bit of a hassle.

That combined with the fact that new players are drawn to the 3edgy5me morticians makes for new players having to play into a captain that can seem very unfair at first.
>>
>>48291345
TBF it's a bit of both.

A good Obulous player feels straight up unstoppable because the control element is so strong, especially if they power list their Union options.

We just know he will never get nerfed because, much like Soles with Cryx, the lead designer loves them.
>>
>>48291530
when i first started one of my friends played morticians, he basically lost every single game for about the first 3 weeks, the rest of the team even now can be very lack luster as players.
>>
>>48291620

Eh I wouldn't say the entirety of their team is lack luster, sure there are some models that you look at and kind of scratch your head, looking at you graves, but I would say that the reason some of their models don't seem stellar is because they have such a strong control game that they can leverage
>>
thank you all for the answers on obulous, wha do you think of alchemist guild instead? is it good?
>>
>>48291676
The alchemists have two great captains. A great bonus is that they scratch two different itches.

Do you like super solo type teams? Midas is your boy.

Want to play the condition game? Smoke lets you cover the enemy team in whatever liquid you want.
>>
>>48291708
thank you too/again
>>
File: 1457573918556.gif (1 MB, 406x449) Image search: [Google]
1457573918556.gif
1 MB, 406x449
>>48291906
Yeah man no worries, any questions about other players / factions?
>>
Hey someone else started the thread, and they used the better op pic, nice.

I'm not too sure about the big league. Looks alright but some of the cards seem meh, and two of the objectives seem weird.
>>
>>48291296
>>48291530
Obulous takes a specific approach to handle. Some tips:

If you base to base him with a 2" melee model then UM won't put him out of your melee zone. Additionally, UM only works when you "end an advance" in his melee zone. This means that if Obulous is KD'd then he can't UM away because he has no melee zone, and it also means that dodging into his melee zone by bouncing off another character gets through UM.

Obulous hates character plays that cause damage and/or control. Guy only has 4+ Def, so he's not hard to hit. Characters like Gutter and Salvo ruin him.

Don't float too much momentum. I never let myself go above 2 until Ob pops his legendary. Keep enough to maintain goal threat and counter-attack threat, but too much makes you ripe for a steal.

Don't overload characters with influence who need to move before they can do anything. If you put 4 on a model who must close to melee in order to spend it then you're just asking for that model to get Puppet Master'd off into the wings.

Drop the ball a lot. At the end of a model's turn, if that model has the ball, just detach it. Ob can't force you to pass to him if you don't have possession.

Alternatively, give the ball to a model with terrible kick. Mascots make great ball holders against Ob.

Try to activate your slow characters first. One of Ob's favorite tactics is to Puppet Master a fast, squishy character who has already activated and draw them deep into the Mortician's team so that they can tear them up. If you wait to activate your speedy, squishy characters afterwards then you can run away if they try that. If he targets your already activated characters, because they're slow they won't get so far, and typically slow models are beefier and don't die as easily anyways.
>>
>>48292428
Our big league was a disaster.

All it takes us one person to miss their scheduled game and things go to shit as the butterfly effect of drops happen.

Also the Big League special abilities are fluffy as hell, but the return of don't touch the hair in the game is not worth the fun :P
>>
>>48292683
Oh you have to schedule games? I thought it was just a show up and play games thing. With a cap on how many you can play in a week.
>>
>>48292773
>>48292683

We have it so that you have a week window to play your league game, might move it to two week window just to give people with busy jobs a little more breathing room.
>>
>>48292683
I honestly do not like the Big League at all. I look at it and I see it adding a lot of things to the game and every single thing it adds ends up detracting from the game. I just do not want to deal with it; it feels poorly thought out, and one of the worst parts is how one of the three "prizes" rewards you for losing constantly. That's right; the best way to earn the Master of Shadows title is to lose every match you play.

Just bleh.
>>
>>48292846
>>48292683

Not sure what you're metas are looking like, but we have a group of guys that get along and like to compete and win.

Now I don't disagree with the assessment of the master of shadows, but if you don't have some strange tryhard in the league I think it's more of a consolidation for newer or less skilled players honestly.

A ton of the rules are very fluffy, but I believe it's a nice break from the tourney prep grind fest of playing similar games out over and over.
>>
I'm ranked in the top 50 players in the world, ama
>>
>>48292933
Are you going to be at Gen Con this year? What team do you main?
>>
>>48292933
Fillet.

Why? Why does this shit even exist? How did they think this was balanced?
>>
>>48292980
I am going to GenCon. I play morticians, probably doing dual caps for the Qualifiers then depending on the top 16 might remove Scalpel for the final rounds to get in a flex pick.
Hope that doesn't immediately reveal my identity to local players on here lol

>>48292981
I think Fillet is very strong but not necessarily OP, though they 100% need to remove the issue with Pain Circle where it can apply bleed then damage, giving her the dodge on a clean target. If you're having trouble beating her, make sure to keep your players more then 3" apart whenever possible. Butchers are terrible at moving enemies and have almost no pushes, especially without Ox on the field.

If you're really worried though, don't worry for too long...
>>
>>48293053

>If you're really worried though, don't worry for too long...

Have some juicy insider info for us?
>>
>>48293098
Just rumours really no worth anybody's time. All I know is there will probably be changes. I am not a playtester or anybody who could give actual good leaks
>>
>>48293053
>they 100% need to remove the issue with Pain Circle where it can apply bleed then damage, giving her the dodge on a clean target.

I disagree. The fact that it cost two influence means its eating up a third of her influence in order to make it that target. And it still needs to hit. She also needs to be within 2" of the target in order to make so if the model has 2" reach she goes down to one die to hit which against most models is a big risk.
>>
>>48293053
>I think Fillet is very strong but not necessarily OP, though they 100% need to remove the issue with Pain Circle where it can apply bleed then damage, giving her the dodge on a clean target. If you're having trouble beating her, make sure to keep your players more then 3" apart whenever possible. Butchers are terrible at moving enemies and have almost no pushes, especially without Ox on the field.
My main problem is that there's no way to shut her down. A well played Fillet player will, guaranteed, take two players out at the top of turn two and there is absolutely nothing you can do to stop it and prevent it. Even keeping the models far enough apart just means she all but kills one at the end of turn 1, then steps into the other, all but kills it, pops legendary and they both die.

I'd be fine with her if she were 4+/1. But at 5+ and 16 HP killing her is damn near impossible and control effects never land when you need them to. She just kills one player per turn and since you can't threaten her or control her you just have to sit there and take it.
>>
>>48293198
>I disagree. The fact that it cost two influence means its eating up a third of her influence in order to make it that target. And it still needs to hit. She also needs to be within 2" of the target in order to make so if the model has 2" reach she goes down to one die to hit which against most models is a big risk.
So what if it eats a third of her influence? All that means is that she only deals 16 damage this turn instead of 23. It's still more than enough damage that a lot of time she won't even spend her last influence to finish off the model she's engaging because she wants it die at the top of turn 2 instead of during the maintenance phase. Then turn 2 hits, she activates first, charges and blood rain's that model, goes to town, pops legendary at the end and kills both of her targets. She's now up two activations and at least 6 momentum.

The only way I ever see her get stopped is if the Fillet player screws up and does something stupid. In the hands of a good player (i.e. one who uses Boiler to make her 6+ during the first turn so counter-attacks and control effects don't do shit) she's unkillable and unstoppable.
>>
>>48293198
I don't mind her having the capability in targets that are already bleeding, but I do not think she should have it on a clean target. It allows her to ignore too many effects entirely on her own which can often make losing initiative to her on turn 3 or after effectively a loss. She's even more punishing for initiative than Shark/Silence/Blackheart.
Another nerf I'd personally be OK with is making her 6/8 speed but keeping everything else as-is.

>>48293204
Based on your description I'd say you should work on your turn 1s. She shouldn't be able to do that to you top of two, that should be a bottom of two/top of three thing in most cases. I can't really think of a team that can't slow her down or at least counterscore turn 1 even if she has the ball, except ironically butchers themselves.
Also, though her damage output is insane, she shouldn't be able to 100-0 two characters if they are more than 3" apart unless they are your mascot and Greede or something, even with legendary and Steamroller. And, if two models are more than 5.1" apart she physically cannot dodge between the two unless she has the ball. 4.1" apart requires 2 INF, so also not great and definitely not killing anybody then unless they are already hurt.
>>
>>48293171
I heard Obulous is in the list too.

Not sure if they are going through with changes but I know they were testing a modded Obulous at some point in the year.
>>
>>48293394
She doesn't need to dodge between them. She dodges outside of the first model's melee zone at the end of t1 and charges the other model at the top of t2. The only requirement is that the two models are not more than 8" away or else she can't legendary them both at the same time.

The only way Fillet doesn't do that t1 is if you spend all of t1 just hiding behind your deployment line. Her threat range is the entire center of the field. If she kicked then she's up 7", sprints another 9", Pain Circle's at least one more to get her to 17" plus 1" melee. If she received then she gets two 4" dodges from receiving and passing the ball, sprints 9", Pain Circle's at least one more and she's at 18" plus 1" melee. Receiving does cost her one extra influence, but also gives her extra momentum so she can Bonus Time! a lot of her attacks.

So, no, she can reach models on your deployment line regardless of whether she kicks or receives. So unless you actually move behind your deployment line then she's going to Fillet someone.

If she chooses to kick then you do have a single activation where you can move someone forward and try to drop a control effect on her before Boiler makes her 6+ for the turn. If you miss that, however, then you're basically fucked and have someone pushed forward who is going to die.

Also, you're forgetting that each model she hits with her legendary gives her a 1" dodge as well. That gives her even more disgusting amounts of mid-turn mobility.
>>
>>48293710
>>48293394
As for her damage output, assuming she either buys a Pain Circle or a charge for a Blood Rain then she has 4 inf left and can buy four attacks on both activations. She's going to get a momentous 2+1 each attack against anyone except the absolute tankiest of people whom she only gets a 1+1 against. Count in bleed, that means 1 from Pain Circle, 3*4 from attacks, 3 from bleed first turn = 16 damage to the first model. Second turn same calculation, 16 damage. Pop legendary, both models have taken 19 damage. Every model in the game that doesn't have Tough Hide or Gluttonous Mass dies to this scenario, and there's not a damn thing you can do about it.
>>
>>48293710
She only gets dodges when she damages with attacks or characters player. a legendary play is nether. Not saying shes not scary, but you can limit her to 1 kill a turn.
>>
>>48293863
Damn, I see this now. The guy I've been playing Fillet against has been doing that all along. Okay, that goes a decent way towards bringing her back to sanity, but most of what I just said still stands.

Like I said I'd be fine with her if she was 4+/1. Keep her ridiculous damage output, but for fucks sake let me at least punish her for going headfirst into the enemy team.
>>
>>48293721
Oh lol I didn't realize you meant she goes in on someone turn 1. Just stay outside of 13 inches from her turn 1 m8, it's not that hard at all. If she has the ball you have last activation, win momentum and kill or cripple her. Work on turn 1 dude, Fillet should never do damage and not get mauled turn 1 (outside of Pain Circle damage of course)
>>
>>48291296
BRUH. I play Morticians. What team do you play? Ill tell you how to kill him.
>>
File: 1423440703210.png (250 KB, 470x389) Image search: [Google]
1423440703210.png
250 KB, 470x389
>>48292428
>Better pic
>Mfw I made it
>>
>>48293933
Best way to deal with her i found is to make her pain circle, Fillet with 4 instead of 6 is a lot less scary and it might even miss.knock downs and counter attacks are magical. putting her to 4/0 makes her soft and with only 1 inch melee shes finds it hard to stay in combat with out a pain circle if you push her or dodge. Keeping about 4 inchs apart stops her dodging from one player to the next. with out using her movement.
>>
>>48293985
Well thanks for the OP image anon
>>
There are broad changes to every faction in the game coming between season 2 and 3. Multiple models in each faction will be affected, possibly a majority of models. But be careful about what you hear from playtesters, and don't repeat what they tell you specifically- each group of playtesters is working with a different set of changes, so any leak will probably just get those playtesters excommunicated.
>>
>>48294523
Interesting. I'm happy to hear that the devs continue have an interest in the game's balance. It'll be nice to see the under-utilized models get a little better, and the auto-includes perhaps a little worse.
>>
>>48294566
>>48294523
Also if you wanna know more literally just get the Steamforged guys drunk. It's so dumb and easy, it's a really silly Cool Kids Club. Everybody who has been in a car or lent a couch to Mat Hart has insider info. Everyone who's met them personally knows what the second S3 guild will be, and most know rules for stuff too.
>>
>>48293985
Good job mang
>>
File: QUAFF.jpg (116 KB, 450x600) Image search: [Google]
QUAFF.jpg
116 KB, 450x600
QUAFF
>QUAFF
QUAFF
>>
>>48294633
I've heard it's gonna be farmers and fools
>>
>>48295215
Fools sound interesting. More so than farmers.
>>
>>48297204
I guess farmers are going to have sow and reap mechanics that sound neat
>>
Farmers sound like they're going to have huge activation order issues. Even moreso than Hunters do.
>>
>>48297239
Eh it's more the ascetic. I just don't think it's gunna interest me.
>>
>>48295215
so what do you guys think fools will do?
>>
>>48298651
I hope they have some crazy mechanics like if they have possession of the ball and succeed on a pass they can create a second ball token that can disappear or after the opponent activates they chose which ball remains
>>
>>48294523
Personally I'm hoping that the S1 mascots get revamped. Some of them are just so fucking terrible, especially compared to their S2 versions.

I'M LOOKING AT YOU SALT YOU WORTHLESS PIECE OF SHIT
>>
>>48299520
A friend of mine has found a decent use for him. Between his high speed and where'd they go (if he happens to have influence for whatever reason) he can grab the ball and bring it back for someone. Helpful when someone launches a ball out into the middle of nowhere or when it scatters into a corner.

He could still use a buff or two.
>>
>>48298853
I'm expecting the to be essentially a thieves guild. Like when someone says they are playing a "bard." So probably so influence stealing. Maybe a mime with true replication. I'd love to see a captain with the ability to copy a stat.
>>
Don't lose faith /gb/ I believe in thee.
>>
>>48305778
The thread seems to pick up around mid day/evening (eastern time). Early morning is kind of slow.
>>
File: 1464964827791.jpg (181 KB, 750x750) Image search: [Google]
1464964827791.jpg
181 KB, 750x750
Still need an answer to whether you need to fully do everything in the play for the play to be successful
Thread replies: 58
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.