[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/srg/ Shadowrun General - Jacking In Edition
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 39
File: JackInAndJackOff.jpg (218 KB, 988x762) Image search: [Google]
JackInAndJackOff.jpg
218 KB, 988x762
...Identity Spoofed
...Encryption Keys Generated
...Connected to Onion Routers
>>>Login: *********
>>>Enter Passcode: *********
...Biometric Scan Confirmed
Connected to FairlightNet...

>Welcome back to /srg/, chummer
>Last Viewed Files: >>48260393
>Hacking_For_Dinguses.skllchp
>Fairlight_Electronics_Expo_Catalogue.pdf
>Early Adopters: Fairlight Master Race or Glitching Idiots?.txt
>Tr0llsG0neW1ld.trid

Personal Alerts
* Your Current Rep Score: 39 (2% Positive)
* You have 1 new private message, titled "Welcome back to the Shadowlands, B*ssy!"
* Your Chummer > Tools > Options books list has been unchecked https://github.com/chummer5a/chummer5a/releases
* Cloud File Storage: http://pastebin.com/SsWTY7qr
* Running PoorLittleElfGuy.BTL...

>Watch your (troll girlfriend's) back
>Shoot straight (onto your troll girlfriend's back)
>Conserve ammo (your troll girlfriend needs it)
>And never, ever cut a deal with a dragon
>>
>>48286878
So how much of a bad idea it is to have

>Allergy, Extreme: Soy-based food
>>
File: Batmanlovescookies.gif (576 KB, 400x300) Image search: [Google]
Batmanlovescookies.gif
576 KB, 400x300
>>48287028
Better hope you're not poor, chummer
>make those runs count
>>
File: 1467288750424.jpg (219 KB, 1500x1060) Image search: [Google]
1467288750424.jpg
219 KB, 1500x1060
Oi Chummers!
Any recent story's?
>>
>>48287028
A guy in my group is trying this next run
>>
File: S-K-Centurions_Essen.jpg (13 KB, 247x245) Image search: [Google]
S-K-Centurions_Essen.jpg
13 KB, 247x245
>>48287033
My Fantasy Urban Brawl lineup is set, and I'm ready for the playoffs! I've got 200k nuyen riding on this season, so the SK Essen Centurios and the New York Slashers better bring it, or I'm in for a drek load of mafia debts.
>>
>>48287050
Flexfingers crossed
>>
if I take schooling to reduce my initiation cost does that apply to all future initiations or just the one
>>
>>48287382
>schooling
>>
Am I missing something is the idea of credsticks having a maximum amount of money they can carry dumb
>>
>>48287399
*am I missing something OR is the idea...
>>
File: Derp Knight.jpg (300 KB, 720x960) Image search: [Google]
Derp Knight.jpg
300 KB, 720x960
>>48287399
Have you heard of credit limits anon
>>
>>48287419
no
>>
>>48287028
You can still eat krill meat
>>
>>48287382
It applies to each initiation for which you're receiving it. It doesn't stack, if that's what you're thinking.
>>
File: image.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
>>48286878
>out of fragging highlighter pigment, so I can't finish this until tomorrow

Anyone else a fulltime jobfag here? I live with my player/GM and we barely find time to game. We end up getting in a one or two hour session every other week and I end up jonesing for runs and draw stupid shit in my downtime to sate my cyberpunk addiction. Shadowrun feels even tougher than World of Darkness because it involves so much more groundwork and planning.

How do you find the time? Does planning weekly game nights actually work for people with alternating schedules?
>>
>>48287399
That's right! Even DUMB people understand the VALUE of having an UNLIMITED capacity on a credstick! Order your DIAMOND level credstick RIGHT NOW!
>>
File: image.jpg (41 KB, 300x470) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
41 KB, 300x470
>>48287928
Make sure you walk down this particularly dark alley when you acquire it, so I can relieve you of your ONE credstick with all
>all
Of your funds.
Because splitting up your fortune between multiple certifieds isn't smart or safe at all, you should deinitely carry the equivalent of your entire savings account in liquid nuyen on your person at all times.
>>
>>48287948
Pretty sure diamond (or whatever they're called? pretty sure they're not even in the core books) level credsticks would be outfitted with personal attack helicopters and HTR squads for good measure.
>>
File: image.jpg (72 KB, 500x367) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
72 KB, 500x367
>>48287964
Like a pesky little high threat response team or a helicopter is gonna be an even slight inconvenience to a decent shadowrunner.
>>
>>48287983
>shadowrunner
>decent
pick one

Also, how would mafia suitcases look in Shadowrun? Cases with several credsticks of lowest security level?
>>
>>48287948
>>48287928
I mean, obviously you don't want all your cash in one easily lost place. Sure, I get that.

But why would there even be different types of credsticks? Just have one universal credstick, since all that is stored inside is an encrypted number.

Why make the credstick that has one billion nuyen look different then the credstick that has 10 nuyen? Doesn't that just makes it easier to steal?
>>
File: image.jpg (41 KB, 450x279) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
41 KB, 450x279
>>48288020
>Black Amex
>American Express Centurion Card
Lots of creditors and banks offer special perks and rewards to people with high balances, supreme credit, or in the Black Card's case, by invitation only (based off of a ludicrously high net worth).
I'd assume it works similarly in shadowrun. After all, credsticks, even certs, are still issued by financial institutions. You sign up for an Ebony cred, you probably pay an annual fee, but you get a higher nuyen line, probably kickback on your purchases, discounts on airlines, I don't know.
Read the fine print on the application form.
>>
>>48288020
>why would a company cripple their own products, just so they can charge more for the un-crippled version?
>>
>>48288067
*meant to elaborate.
Different levels of credsticks probably have different levels of perks. Not only that, but it's
>easy class distinction
>locks SINless out of easy access to large funds
I mean, we're in a cyberpunk dystopia. Why wouldn't Megacorporations try to cater to the rich and snub the poor?
>>
Since we're talking about cash, how does your Johnson pays his runners?

>a) cash divided in several Standard credsticks
>b) cash in a big bundle on a single appropriate credstick
>c) you don't even pay attention to this

I'll admit I do c) myself.
>>
>>48288117
Depends on the Johnson. Most will use a) some will pick b) with the cred already put into (runners in your team) credsticks
>>
>>48288117
Johnson pays whoever the face or team leader is, leader disperses the funds.
My decker/face got a prototype from Fuchi for a run once and then had to pay out his team from his own pocket in equivalent nuyen. He did something similar whe he got blacmailed by Knight Errant and basically payed his own team to help him do his coerced run.
>>
>>48288117
Either with a direct bank transaction to the team's fixer, or a) and b). Most of the time it's not the team's job to count the money.
>>
>>48288117
Escrow service.
>>
>>48288151
>leader disperses the funds
Ew.
>>
>>48287399
its security. Basically a high grade cred stick has a better security level and is therefor better designed for storing large amounts of funds.

From the technical side nothing would stop a bank from accepting a low grade credstick with a couple million on it. But I guess after the first forged el cheapo credstick who miraculously had 300 million on it they stopped that rather quickly.
If you have a problem with it, just get the highest grade credstick only and you pretty much wont have to worry about the limits anymore.
>>
>>48288000
I prefer suitcases full of stuff that can be sold easy. For example a suitcase full of novacoke or Orichalcum, or for the lower rungs of society, a suitcase full of high grade comlinks.
>>
>>48288316
>>48288151
One of my runner groups just puts it all figuratively in a collective account. Figuratively because it's not all in a single credstick or anything, but the idea is that the entire group just sort of shares the money depending on what's needed.

I always thought it was kinda weird. I think they're just too used to playing D&D computer games like baldurs gate and neverwinter nights.
Still, if that's how they want to do it I'm not gonna say no.
>>
>>48288418
*shudder* half my players would run with the money the second they would get access to it. The other half would sell them out to the police / enemies first and then steal the money.

One of our longer running campaigns had a technomancer who came out about 3 years in game time after they have first meet. He'd allways pretended to be a regular decker.
It was a pretty close call, the remaining team nearly sold him out. Friend? Cool. Never having to work again? Better. In the end they feared that he would squeal on them if they deliver him to a corp. That saved his life.
>>
>>48288418
reddit had a nice story a while back regarding inter party trust:
https://www.reddit.com/r/Shadowrun/comments/4kf93b/that_guy_storytime_the_shadowrunner_team_trust/
>>
We're playing Splintered State and I (the GM) want to end it with a dragon chasing a helicopter. How do I make that encounter interesting?
>>
>>48288524
>single guy able to defeat entire party
>able to kill two guys before they can act

Man, 4e must have been a completely different beast.
In 5e it's hard to one-shot even a regular security corp, much less shadowrunners, and killing more than one guy per turn is an exercise in frustration without explosives.

I house-ruled in my table that any guard that has 2-3 left on their condition track is just out of combat to avoid the ridiculousness of someone getting shot by a submachinegun full out and just keep fighting with minor (-2 or -3) penalties.
>>
>>48288555
>dragon chasing a helicopter
Make it a drake. Because dragons don't need to chase something to get it. They can just say that whoever gets them that thing will be paid a hefty sum of ¥.
>>
>>48288664
there are plenty of dragons that went feral crazy and started fucking shit up all around in shadowrun.
>>
>>48288000
Paper money still exists in Shadowrun. It's just that almost no bank, and thus almost no business, recognizes it as legal currency. Also, I don't remember too well but I think some corp scrip is also paper.
>>
>>48288606
I have the opposite problem with my group, one of them maxed longarms to something like eighteen dice at chargen (I didn't notice because they were meant to be a pistol-wielding Infiltrator, so I checked up on that skill area)
Now, unless I ambush them, they can just drop two of anyone per phase, and if I can touch them, then the rest of the group can't do shit
>>
File: Shadowrun Adept.jpg (228 KB, 869x507) Image search: [Google]
Shadowrun Adept.jpg
228 KB, 869x507
>>48288606
4e was a time without limits, when an adept with a Warhawk and enough gumption could put down a behemoth by himself.
>>
>>48288725
>longarms
Yeah, longarms is pretty much the only weapon short of heavy weaponry like cannons and shit that can consistently drop someone due to high DV and high AP.
>>
>>48288783
Melee (if you can get in range) is pretty effective as well. As are weaker weapons loaded with capsule rounds filled with Narcojet if you can get those three net hits.
>>
>>48288725
>18 dice pool at char gen
How?
Me thinks some rules weren't followed.
>>
>>48288881
>88881
>So close to glory
>>
>>48288881
>Elf with high AGI
>Longarms 6 with a specialty
>Smartgun system

Getting a DP of 18 isn't that hard.
>>
>>48288886
>>48288888
>>
>>48288894
Yeah I guess so. I don't allow my chars anything but the shittier bolt action snipers on gen.
>>
>>48288881

Seriously?

6 in Longarms, 8 with specialization, +2 from smartlink, 7 agi for an elf is already 17. And you can go much higher with cyber, powers, drugs and appropriate qualities.
>>
>>48288881
Base Agi 6, + 2 Agi from magic/'ware, 6 ranks in Longarms from skill, 2 extra dice from specialization (snoipah or shotty, pick your poison), 2 extra dice from Smartlink.

There, 18 dice. You can min-max it to a lot higher if you want, but it should be enough already.
>>
>>48288664
Not a great dragon - just a regular dracoform, pretty young too. Mentioned in the adventure as optional "last boss", but without
>>
>>48288896
Dinkleberg...
>>
Hoi chummers, quick q from last thread. Anyone know of an effective way of balancing spirit summoning? The last thing i want is a fuckin mage homo derailing my shit.
>>
>>48288960
ban spirit summoning
>>
>>48288881
Elf - 7 dice (8 if Nocturna metavariant). Maxed-out Longarms - 6 dice. Sniper Rifle spec - +2 dice. Brand loyalty - +1 die. Used muscle toner 3 - +3 dice. Implanted smartlink +2 dice. Ez 22 dice from chargen.

>>48288783
Ares Alpha AR with ASPD rounds works pretty well.

>>48288725
Teach your mooks to use smoke grenades against snipers.
>>
>>48288960

- Another mage
- Place having magic barriers or spirit overwatch
- or astrally perceiving critters
- Mundanes trained to react to materializing spirits with long bursts of automatic fire
- FAB
- Background counts (I mean, they do affect spirits, right?)
- Spirits getting annoyed for getting summoned over and over again. One splat has rules for spirit reputation, from what I remember
- Spirits (especially of F lower than 4-5) not really knowing how the world works, and trying to complete tasks in the least tiring, most literal way possible
>>
>>48288960
Romove auto-successes from spirit's Hardened armor quality.
>>
I want to make a real "Mage" with robes, pointy hat and staff. What's the best way to do this in 5e or is it an all around bad idea?
>>
>>48289027
You can, but prepare to catch ALL the bullets in the world.
>>
>>48289002
F4 spirits aren't a problem. F12 Great Form Guardian spirit is. It's, basically, an "I win" button against anything that isn't a dracoform or a high-power mage.
>>
>>48289027
Distinctive Style quality. Also, you better be wearing some kind of armor under those robes or else yeah it's a horrible idea.
>>
>>48289027
If your GM isn't a dick, I'm sure he'll let you fluff whatever you want for your armor's appearance.

Now if looking like an asshole in pajamas is okay or not, depends on you.
>>
>>48288971
>>48288960
Speaking of banning, should I just ban pixes?

I mean i was making one for fun on chummber 5 and aleady have 15 dice for automatics
and 13+1d6 initiative

without any fucking magic or cyber augmentation

come the fuck on +2 agility, +2 reaction, and +1 intuition on a single race are such bullshit. They are even automatically the best wizards with +2 will and +2 cha and +1 log
>>
>>48288960
Have your opponent use tasers and flashbangs. They deal with small to medium spirits (and reckless runners) efficiently.
>>
File: 1ufQlOt.jpg (250 KB, 1092x742) Image search: [Google]
1ufQlOt.jpg
250 KB, 1092x742
>>48289036
>magician wearing wizard's robes
>not a PhysAd troll in a military grade armor who just screams random words in broken Latin
>>
>>48289052
The best way I've found to make pixies non viable is by ruling in that they're so naturally high in magic that they attract all sorts of critters and toxic spirits.
>>
>>48289027
>>48289036
>>48289041

Gonna put some robes and wizard hat on my cyber-troll
everyone is going to be so confused that they'll never realize that the real spellcaster is the dude walking around in full body armor+helmet
>>
>>48289052
You can happily ban the whole of Run Faster save for the non-metagenetic qualities (and sum-to-ten/karmagen).
>>
>>48289052
>come the fuck on +2 agility, +2 reaction, and +1 intuition on a single race are such bullshit.

It takes all the fun out of power gaming when they make it so easy
>>
>>48289088
I love sum to 10. I'm using my first run with it, and I gotta say, I'm a fan. But yes, most of the added meta's are ridiculous.
>>
>>48289052
why don't you just tweak them a bit so they're not as bullshit? i usually do that with my group with anything we deem broken by default in any game we play

make a few changes that would make sense to their small size and magical abilities

if stats are your issue, there's this videogame design thing that goes about "what's too strong in terms of stats should be lacking in equipment and the other way around"

stat-strong races such as pixies should be tweaked in order to be less effective with gear that would push the limit of those imbalances - make a setting modification or something, it's not like the game is gonna stop being shadowrun if you change it around a bit

but i mean, if banning pixies is your way of dealing with things, that's okay too
>>
File: file.png (3 MB, 994x1920) Image search: [Google]
file.png
3 MB, 994x1920
So I'm really not getting the point behind this Shadowrun Tarot shit. Howling Shadows gets like fifteen pages of recycled art (Two of the same picture!) but they've got money for artists to be doing... whatever this is supposed to be?
>>
How many pixies do you think live in a typical large city? I don't think it's that many. The same goes for centaurs, minotaurs, nigger elves etc. Just use it as a free distinctive style feature so the cops could find that particular pixie easier.
>>
>>48289174
I imagine its because you can sell a deck of hideous Tarot cards, but you don't need new art to sell a critter book. Fuck me does that picture look ugly.

I'm still getting crashes when loading characters with Nightly-v5.182.9. Nightly-v5.182.3.0 and back still load without crashing.
>>
>>48288117
My group is paid exclusively in things like gold, novacoke, and unmarked guns because we like to be next level sketchy.
>>
Any easy to understand guides for making an effective Rigger in 5e?
>>
>>48289174
Could be worse
>>
>>48289219
>I'm still getting crashes when loading characters with Nightly-v5.182.9. Nightly-v5.182.3.0 and back still load without crashing.
I'm super stupid and didn't validate the code properly. I'll have it fixed shortly, trying to fix a problem with a life module before I push the commit.
>>
File: A Gate Has Opened in Arkham.gif (2 MB, 320x240) Image search: [Google]
A Gate Has Opened in Arkham.gif
2 MB, 320x240
>>48289321
Thanks, Chummer, you're the man.
>>
I normally don't bother posting about chummer bugs if they're not a big deal but I might as well mention that deleting life modules causes chummer to crash.

It's not a big deal because life modules are terrible and I would never use them anyway
>>
>>48289181
Very few, especially in cities, unless you play in an area they live in. (France/England for pixies, Greece for Minotaurs, etc...)
>>
Are Laser Weapons worth the price and Skillpoint investment?
>>
Question: what stops runners from taking out a bunch of loans using a fake sin and then burning the sin and pocketing the money? It's not like they care about their fake ID's credit rating.
>>
>>48289454
No. As of now, they are quite useless. You'd get better results from using sabots in a regular rifle.
>>
>>48288117
In my previous game, I had a runner who demanded the Johnson pay him in UCAS dollars cuz he was 80 years old and didn't trust this new cryptocurrency stuff.
Needless to say, he had issues with buying basically anything.
>>
>>48288117
>Not having your Johnson pay you in cocaine
It's like you motherfuckers don't even realize this game was written in the 80s.
>>
File: giphy.gif (420 KB, 616x338) Image search: [Google]
giphy.gif
420 KB, 616x338
>>48289641
The common justification is that bank loans don't really exist anymore, having been replaced by an advance on wages and effectively-indentured servitude. it's not canon to my knowledge, but it's a reasonable enough justification for it.
>>48289341
Whups, found the problem. My bad, I didn't check for the removal of other qualities properly, so if there were any qualities to remove it'd crash. Fixed in the latest build.
>>
>>48289809
>Whups, found the problem. My bad, I didn't check for the removal of other qualities properly, so if there were any qualities to remove it'd crash.

Cool.
>>
>>48288960
The best counter to a player who spams spirits is a mage with banishing. They can get rid of any spirits the player summons before they even get a chance to act.
>>48289052
Pixies can't use weapons. Imagine tinkerbell trying to pick up a revolver. It's completely ludicrous. There you go, that solves all the problems of sammy pixies.
Mage pixies, I'd suggest assholes with buckets of paint and other such things to foil their innate invisibility. (That or having mooks who are capable of getting 6 hits on perception tests, but that probably ain't happening.)
>>48289077
Assuming we're talking a mage pixie, they can get out of that shit via their innate invisibility. It's like the spell, but instead of rolling dice they get one hit for every point of magic they have. Assuming 6 mag, no-one will ever find them, because most people don't have 6 dice in perception, let alone an average of 6 hits.
>>48289146
Isn't body1 enough of a crippling change based on size? (They've got a max of 2 but exactly 0 pixies will be maxing body in chargen.)
>>48289181
Barely any. The exception is if you live in france, as pixies are common there. (I like to extend that to places with a mostly french culture, so you also get french-canadian pixies and louisiana swamp pixies.)
>>48289454
Nope. Lasers are garbage and overly expensive. They might be worth it if they all got automatic fire, but even then they'd still be fairly garbage compared to mundane weaponry.
>>
>>48289902
>body 1 with a max of 2

oh so they're glass cannons - why is this an issue then?
>>
>>48289454
>>48289902
>Lasers

Lasers look like weapons designed (in a meta sense) to use against the runners. They have massive AP so they can deal damage trough heavily armored trolls, but their actual damage is shit so they can't kill anyone in one hit, so no insta-kills if they are used against the rest of the group, unlike any other weaponry that can hurt the armor-stacking sammies.

Though this is probably an accident since shadowrun doesn't seem designed with this sort of game design in mind.
>>
>>48289929
Because they are glass cannons that have a massive amount of Reaction, Shadowrun's god stat. Adept Pixies (Combining two of the most broken things in the system) are absolutely nuts.
>>
>>48289976
if Reaction is the issue, then that's the stat you need to change in order for them to be not-broken
this is what i was talking about in terms of changing stats to tackle an issue

why remove what you can easily fix?
>>
>>48290043
But that's the entire reason you play a pixie, to be the fastest man in all of Aztlan. If you lower their max reaction, you've made them no longer viable to all the minmaxers out there (Which is, let's be fair, a majority of Shadowrunners).

Having more playable races than the base five was a mistake.
>>
>>48290077
then stop bitching
>>
>>48289040
If your runners are summoning F12 Great Form spirits, you're at the stage in the campaign where armies of HTR are coming after them, with t-birds, tanks, and initiated mages of their own.
>>
Question: I vaguely remember that there was something that halves the penalty for called shots, reducing them together with the Sharpshooter merit to a -1. Am i misremembering here or is there something like this in 5e?
>>
>>48290103
Strive for Perfection and Sharpshooter.
>>
File: Pixie Rifle.jpg (116 KB, 600x1066) Image search: [Google]
Pixie Rifle.jpg
116 KB, 600x1066
>>48289052
>>48289146
>>48289902
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (332 KB, 2048x1701) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
332 KB, 2048x1701
>>48290095
I wish my campaigns could get to the point where throwing waves of T-72s was the norm.
>>
>>48290126
i think that's a really good limitation in itself, thanks for pointing it out

but aren't pixies usually mages and riggers?
>>
>>48290126
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RqCPNM1I-ao
>>
File: Pixie Hacker.jpg (101 KB, 352x300) Image search: [Google]
Pixie Hacker.jpg
101 KB, 352x300
>>48290139
Mages/Shamans/Adepts

Pixie rigger is a /tg/ meme.
>>
>>48290166
>Pixie rigger is a /tg/ meme.
why?

i'm asking because i'm doing a pseudo-rigger pixie character in a campaign for one of the Returns games
she's not actually a rigger but pretty close
>>
>>48290166
>Pixie rigger is a /tg/ meme
I would say contrary.
>>
>>48290095
>you're at the stage in the campaign where armies of HTR are coming after them, with t-birds, tanks, and initiated mages of their own.

I didn't know that first run of a shadowrunner group in 5e should deal with tanks

(opposed roll of magic+conjuring vs force of spirit, that means I'm rolling 17 [magic 7, skill 6 (+2 specialization)+2 mentor spirit] vs the spirit 12 dice from force 12

It's going to hurt a bunch in drain but I can certainly do it on a regular human starting level mage. Not something I would do every run but it's certainly a possible.
>>
>>48290187
Mainly because riggers tend to be heavily cybernetized which messes up with their magic; and they are amongst the sixth world's hippie hillbillies being uneducated.

Now, nothing prevents you to play a very effective one. Their base stats is a min-maxer's wet dream.
>>
>>48290117
Thanks.
But wow, these are so not balanced: One imposes a -1 on all non-called shots, the other one flat-out forbids them, but costs three times as much Karma.
I think i'll stick with only Sharpshooter for the moment...
>>
>>48290226
If you want it great form you also have to bind it and perform the proper ritual.
>>
>>48290226
>I didn't know that first run of a shadowrunner group in 5e should deal with tanks
Hey, you'd at least finally get some use out of the ATGMs statted in Shadowrun.
>>
>>48290226
actually, I forgot, but drain is [spirit hits], right? So with a bit of luck and min-maxing (being an elf shaman with 8 cha and 5 will), you can summon a force 12 uber spirit without even taking damage!

Truly spirit summoning is fair and balanced
>>
File: PixieNaught.jpg (444 KB, 675x900) Image search: [Google]
PixieNaught.jpg
444 KB, 675x900
>>48290139
Similar sort of problem. Who makes trode nets/datajacks for pixies? How good is the AR-based RCC at detecting the quick motions of hands several times smaller than normal? Is there a talismonger in the city with the skill and patience to make a very tiny foci?

>>48290187
Because /tg/ meta is "this thing can be abused, therefore it definitely will be abused." The assumption is that everyone is as big an asshole as we are.
>>
>>48290268
>great form you also have to bind it and perform the proper ritual.

to be honest I'm not familiar with great form spirits, but the ritual should be doable even for a starting mage, right?
>>
File: Spirit of Fire.jpg (60 KB, 600x598) Image search: [Google]
Spirit of Fire.jpg
60 KB, 600x598
>>48290268
Shh, he doesn't actually read about initiation or any of that. Just let the sperg bitch.
>>
>>48290277
Get Exceptional Attribute and Spirit Whisperer.

Force 15 Spirit of Fire, ahoy!
>>
>>48290291
No. You need to initiate and learn the proper ritual(s) first.
>>
File: Aussies.jpg (18 KB, 203x248) Image search: [Google]
Aussies.jpg
18 KB, 203x248
>>48290226
>I can certainly do it on a regular human starting level mage

>the mage in question has exceptional attribute maxxing his MAG, all points and specialization in conjuring that kind of spirit, and bonus mentor dice

Don't pretend this is anything other than minmax, anon.
>>
>>48290309
oh well
another reason for me to never use the "can initiate at character creation" house rule I've seen around the internet.
>>
>>48289278
If you've got the money for it, hero lab is amazing.
>>
>>48290289
>that pic
TENNO SKOOM

>>48290239
alright, i'll take it in account
>>
>>48290317
I never said it wasn't min-maxing
I just said it's doable at character creation. I'll admit I was wrong about the "great form" part tho. So no great form spirit at character creation.

But lets be fair. A regular mage would have 12 dice in summoning (6 magic, 6 skill). With edge, a force 12 spirit is not out of the question. It is an opposed roll after all.

That said I would always start with mag 7. It's such a pain to raise it after character creation its better to do it earlier.
>>
File: Spirit.jpg (775 KB, 1280x960) Image search: [Google]
Spirit.jpg
775 KB, 1280x960
>>48290277
Drain is twice net hits for the spirit's defense test. A F12 spirit does 8 Physical drain on average, which your elf can resist about 4 dice worth.

Not to mention that services are your net hits against the spirit. Assuming that 17 dice abomination, you get maybe 2 services out of the spirit. So for the cost of 4 boxes of physical damage (on a mage, which probably hurts a fair amount) you can do one or maybe two cool things with the spirit. Whoopie, you're overcasting. Hope you're not facing someone who optimized into banishing, all they need it one hit and you bloodied your own nose for nothing.
>>
File: Smug elf mage (male).jpg (71 KB, 500x650) Image search: [Google]
Smug elf mage (male).jpg
71 KB, 500x650
>>48290393
Still possible.
Being technically right is the best kind of being right.
>>
>>48290393
Seeing one combat through to the end is a single service, so summoning the Mother of All Spirits when SHTF isn't that bad of an idea.
>>
File: 1440662111523.png (752 KB, 907x881) Image search: [Google]
1440662111523.png
752 KB, 907x881
>>48290375
You said the word 'regular'. It's a very irregular mage. Can you do it? Sure. I've also seen chargen trolls that would win in a fistfight against this spirit, just because they are so stupidly armoured nothing can hurt them.

Congrats, you have spent two threads pointing out that Shadowrun is not a very well-designed system, and you can break it at chargen. You win the grand prize of nothing.

>I would always start with mag 7

You are worse than Hitler.
>>
>>48290446
>You are worse than Hitler.
90% of the people who play Shadowrun are worse than Hitler. The game encourages shit like that.
>>
>>48290419
Sure, it's an ace in the hole. So is having enough Edge to Blitz and Second Chance your way across the lobby, through the assault cannon rounds, and into the van.

When you really need to do something, you can probably do it at a price. It's very handy, but personally I never make a character built around coming out of worse case scenarios.
>>
File: CjRQdL4.jpg (68 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
CjRQdL4.jpg
68 KB, 1024x768
>>48290446
>You said the word 'regular'.
well, from my point of view, 17 dice is regular

>You are worse than Hitler.
According to trustworthy sources from plan 9 hitler did nothing wrong so I can't be that bad
>>
>>48290502
>I never make a character built around coming out of worse case scenarios.

It's not like having 17 dice to summon spirits is going to screw me over or anything. I can just summon some regular spirits that won't kill me trough drain

Better then trying to lob a fireball or something. Instead of risking drain to do a single damage or buff, I risk drain for something that will stick around for the entire fight or longer.
>>
Where can I find details on vampires, ghouls, and shit?

I want to have some sort of spooky (and not too powerful) blood sucking critter hanging out at a local abandoned cemetery in the barrens that the street level runners are hired to deal with
>>
File: Infected Variants.jpg (141 KB, 1002x652) Image search: [Google]
Infected Variants.jpg
141 KB, 1002x652
>>48290564
Run Faster/Howling Shadows. I suggest goblins, because they are terrifying little beasts.
>>
>>48290139
Pixie cyberzombie. Or we are a AAA corp, we do as we damm well please. It fires an SMG like a autocannon.
>>
>>48290544
14 karma for exceptional attribute, 5 more for mentor spirit, plus the general cost of putting that many Special Attribute points into Magic and getting 6 dice + specialization (the last being the cheapest part).

Being Bill Nye the Summoning Guy is fine, but you're building a character around it. It's not a bad gimmick as gimmicks go, but it's still choosing depth over breadth, with a significant investment in that one specific ability.
>>
File: otr_gun_bushmaster_v1.jpg (13 KB, 800x435) Image search: [Google]
otr_gun_bushmaster_v1.jpg
13 KB, 800x435
>>48290625
>Autocannon.
Man portable M242 Bushmasters in Shadowrun when?
>>
>>48290648
>14 karma for exceptional attribute
which many mages are gonna spend, and helps on ALL forms of magic. I'm a mage, I should be good at magic.

>mentor spirit
it's just 5 karma. Plus I get some other benefits, depending on the spirit.

>6 dice + specialization
A priority on magic gives two skills at 5 points already, spending 1 more to get it to 6 is not a big deal

Granpa I feel we are fundamentally thinking of different edition paradigms.
In the current edition, starting with 6 magic and 6 on two different magic skills is the baseline from which all runner mages are judged. It costs literally 2 skill points, and no special attribute points.

Just like how a cyber samurai or a decker is gonna put that priority A on cash, a mage is gonna put that priority A on magic. The system is inherently lopsided towards specializing your characters.

Grab a new player, and he's likely to do just that because it seems obvious. You have to be experienced with the system to think "oh wait, maybe priority B or C is enough, I should use A for something else"
>>
>>48290289
How can it be abused? If someone wanted to abuse pixies, wouldn't they just make a cha6 Mage?
>>
>>48289902

Unfortunately the whole 'pixies are too small for guns' line doesn't hold up mechanically, the closest thing is the line about customizing gear to race size, which would only have pixies taking a theoretical -4 for using a human gun.

As for their innate invisibility, its actually innate concealment, which is nowhere near as bad, it only removes dice, not sucesses, it does apply to everything though, not just visual, so there is that.

And finally, body 1/2, is not even close to a limiting factor, good god is it not, thanks to the way armour works its pretty easy to just never take physical damage. Between that and dodging bullets the amount of people I've seen using bod as a dump stat is massive.
>>
>>48291058
Sorry, mag6, cha... 8 I think?
>>
>pixies too small for guns
the very first thing that you read after the pixy description is the jackpointers dicussing a pixy assassin that used a gun to kill some dude
>>
>>48291058
>>48291134
They would make a Shaman that summons big spirits and does shit for them. The rigger/guns stuff is based on the notion that pixies are near impossible to detect so a bunch of cheese could happen if you don't use their bonus stats much. Pixies are cheese in general so I don't know why fa/tg/uys keep bringing this up.
>>
>>48291246
Yes, and mentioning that he used an "assault cannon", which is just a specially adapted gun... for which there are no rules.
>>
>>48291316
fa/tg/uys love cheese, obviously.
>>
>>48291316
>I don't know why fa/tg/uys keep bringing this up.
Have you seen how many "totally not porn" threads about pixies and other tiny faires get posted on /tg/? Of course /tg/ wants to play as them
>>
>>48290749
I'm thinking of 5e too. I almost never see people getting Exceptional Attribute except for minmaxing. The difference between 6 and 7 MAG is infinitesimal for most. Getting 6 Mag means priority A magic (given how you keep slamming spellcasting, I doubt you plan to be a rounded mage who would fully use A), or lower priority and taking some Special points from metatype.

Most players, even in srg, hold 12 dice in 5e as a top-ranking skill at chargen. Sometimes up to 14 with a smartlink/mentor/whatever. Toddler, you can specialize without trying to stack the deck in ludicrous ways, like spending 19 karma to get as good as possible at summoning when you can spend 5 and still be one of the best for all practical purposes.
>>
>>48291418
That's fine, my point is just that pretty much anything other than "cybered melee samurai" would be a totally doable build for a pixie.
>>
>>48291455
Technomancer isn't.
>>
>>48291433
Here's the thing
I can spend 19 karma to be the very best at summoning

and 14 of that karma ALSO makes this character the very best at spellcasting. Being able to cast a force 7 fireball without taking physical damage is a nice bonus.
So effectively, my "opportunity cost" for speccing in summoning is 5.

Shit, this character can easily fulfill face role (plenty of skill points left over, and cha 8), summoning role (obviously) and general spellcasting role (13 dice without really trying). I really don't see him character as a "summon autist". In terms of skills he's just a good, charismatic shaman who is really good at summoning. I even managed to get 3 on most stats. He has no use for str 3 and log 3 but hey it's not like it's a big deal.

You really overestimate how much investment it takes to do this build.
>>
>>48291592
I would like to mention I made this character in 5 minutes just to see if I could get good odds at summoning a force 12 spirit at char creation without needing edge. It's retardedly easy to do, takes 0 effort, and the character can be used to do other things if you want to.

I'm not sure why we're still discussing it by now, to be quite honest
>>
>>48289809
Hey, i noticed a small mistake in chummer:
The Springfield M1A comes with Standard Upgrades/Accessories: Imaging Sight (w/ image link, vision magnification, vision enhancement 1) but only the Imaging Scope is coded in, the upgrades are missing
>>
>>48291567
>>48291455

Honestly anything that eats essence also quickly becomes nonviable for a min maxed pixie.
>>
>>48292033
I said doable, not min-maxed
>>
>>48292154

Yeah, but who plays pixies and doesn't min max?
>>
>>48292209
I just wanted to play a rigger that used their drones as mechas, OK?
>>
>>48292280

I'm surprised we still don't have full sized Mecha

I'd expect at least Titanfall-sized ones in SR, but no.

Fucking assholes
>>
>>48292792
Power armour when
>>
>>48292280
I would let this happen. You'd have to pay extra for modifications and NPCs would give your character endless shit but whatever
>>
>>48292924

If hardened Mil-spec actually gave some kind of stats I'd say that about covers it, actually.
>>
>>48293321
Come on, you can't arm Mil-Spec armour with 14.5mm assault rifles or 75mm cannons.
>>
I was wondering, do you guys have any characters you'd like to play but haven't yet?
Personally I've got a few.
A pyromaniac mage with a flamethrower who tries to make it look like all his spells are just fancy tricks he does with said flamethrower
A scientologist who runs in order to pay for auditing
A spy working for the north korean goverment in exile, which has kept itself afloat via selling drugs and counterfeit money.
A cyborg with amnesia that wants to figure out who made it into a cyborg so it can kill them.
>>
>>48293563
Oh, and an priest technomancer who is trying to infect his flock with CFD so he can use them as biodrones.
>>
>>48287028
There was a bit character in my 4e Austin game who had that, little street girl who was stealing cat food from the stuffer shack because it was 100% krill instead of soy.

They bumped into her during a modified Food Fight and in trying to calm her down after the gunfire...

"I'll just try and be as soothing and calm as possible"
Player had Tailored Pheromones.
Player rolled a LOT of hits.
Cat-food girl immediately shoves her face against said player to get as much of those calming smells as possible.

Stray', as she got nicknamed, ended up being sorta-adopted by that player after that as a weird pheromone addict sharing their coffin hotel.
>>
File: pic_hellomsmari.gif (2 KB, 80x96) Image search: [Google]
pic_hellomsmari.gif
2 KB, 80x96
>>48293563
>I was wondering, do you guys have any characters you'd like to play but haven't yet?

A a pixy mage summoner specialized in fire spirits
>>
>>48288405
>suitcase full of novacoke or Orichalcum
>Orichalcum

anon no
I used a few bricks of orichalcum as a lure once to get the team greedy enough that they'd stick their face into a locker that had a claymore mine wired in it

once they peeled their rigger off the opposite wall they asked me on how much a 'brick' of orichalcum is actually worth and they're crazy rich now
>>
>>48289902
>I'd suggest assholes with buckets of paint and other such things to foil their innate invisibility. (That or having mooks who are capable of getting 6 hits on perception tests, but that probably ain't happening.)
Teamwork tests on Perception might help. Gents usually have a leader if some street with better stats.
>>
W-what's wrong with having Magic 7 at chargen? I-it's not like I was trying to minmax or anything...
>>
>>48294528
>minmax now means having max in a single stat

I guess everyone should just play street level runners with 1 in every stat otherwise they're minmaxing
>>
>>48289641
Even if you don't go with what yekka said, I'd think that the main thing is an unknown number of unknown intensity checks on the SIN that won't have an obvious result unless you've gotten so far into everything hacking that you probably don't need to rip off loan places for money.
>>
>>48290393
Not net hits. Just plain hits. Twice plain hits, and if the thing's force is greater than your magic, the drain is physical.

So that will take some time to heal up and could be one of the ligit cases where finding somebody by their astral signature is easy-ish.
>>
>>48287399
This is why I like running CP2020. In that game, currency is good old bills and coins
>>
>>48288715

UCAS still use paper bills as most non corp nations. But nuyen bills dont exist.
>>
>>48294981
Several corps also use paper corpscrip. IIRC, SK's paper corpscrip is actually worth more than the nuyen.
>>
>>48294981
>But nuyen bills dont exist.
Shit, are you saying they don't have 5ny bills with Hirohito on the front?
>>
How bad of an idea is it to create a Moriarty-esque criminal enterprise, spanning at least one country but not (at least yet) incorporated?
Alternatively, any ideas why a corp would store documents, handwritten on paper though in code, in a safety deposit box rather than on site/a host's archive?
>>
>>48292280
Have you considered a gnome?
>>
>>48295874
No, I just kinda assumed you couldn't fit one inside a drone.
>>
>>48295788
>Alternatively, any ideas why a corp would store documents, handwritten on paper though in code, in a safety deposit box rather than on site/a host's archive?
Documents are some kind of Faustean contracts and shit. Documents contain patents for magical stuff that can't be digitalized. Documents are super ancient and may predate 6th world (maybe some dragon contracts?). Documents need to exist only in 2 copies for security reasons.
>>
>>48291350
Metahuman adaptation.
>>
>>48286878
in the superbook some anon pointed out to me, under dice tests it says:
*a player can always buy hits at a rate of 1 hit per 4 dice, rounded down
that basically means no matter what, if I have 4 dice for that skill in the pool, I can just choose to have a single success? or two for 8, and three for 12?
Would any of you consider doing that, in any circumstance?
>>
Who here plays older editions? Found a 2nd edition core rulebook for 9 bucks like new thought about giving it a whirl
>>
>>48296563

If you have to do a test with a threshold of 3 and you have 12 dice, why would you bother rolling, unless you can get extra from the extra hits.
>>
>>48296563
I use that rule a lot of the time to estimate ''average effort'' stuff.
>>
>>48295926
You know, technically a spaceship is basically a huge drone by Shadowrun definition.
>>
>>48296563
statisically you gain 1 success from 3 dice. It's a net loss by most accounts. It's a shortened version of "if the character is not interested in doing this amazingly" then you can just do it by habit. Use the safe methods and do something normal.

It's a great rule. Use it. Remember, you chose instead of rolling. It's not in addition to rolling or using it if you roleld badly. You basically say "well driving in france is difficult, but I have 12 in pilot: Car. So 3 successes." Sure france traffic is difficulty 2, but he's good enough to make this without problems. But net successes is useless. He gets there still. Maybe faster? But still not relevant.
>>
>>48296563
It's technically not right in that the GM can say that you need to roll (say because while you're likely to succeed, the chance of getting a glitch is also high or at least interesting enough to roll for) and that you have to go all in.

So it could definitely be useful for Inspire-based teamwork rolls on low skill people. Like, if you're a face that throws over twelve dice at something and the guy's using a skill of 3 or less, you basically have no reason to not buy successes if you're allowed.
>>
Followup question on the 4-dice rule:
Would you let players use it in combat? For example, a gunsam needs to get 3 hits to quickdraw a pistol, would you be okay with him saying 'I buy hits, I just do that'?
>>
>>48296703
Honestly? Yes. There's enough dicerolls in the system to bogger it down by such that mich fail like once or twice per campaign and then is only to humiliate the character and annoy the player. I don't play trough combat when they're beating up a 12 year old girl in front of a camera either.
>>
>>48296703
For quickdraw and most circumstances, yes. But if there's an ambush or enemies at or above rating 2 (loadout depending), nah. Roll.

In combat, mostly if there's real big amounts of popcorn involved or the the weapons and ammo make it so that even a small hit is going to floor the target, okay.
>>
>>48296703
I've they've invested a lot of karma into a skill at some point you just need to let them do it. The dice porn is this game is just fucking dumb and gets very tedious very quickly. There are other instances where I just go: "You do it." Like, I'm not gonna have the 3 strength elf face roll to fireman's carry a fucking dwarf.
>>
>>48295926
There's more variation in gnome size, afaik, but they're dwarf child size.
>>
>>48296869
>Gnome average height/weight, 0.80 meters 37 kg
>2'6", 81 lbs

Gnomes are small.
>>
>>48297025
That's roughly size of a 2-year old child and the weight of an 11 year old.
>>
Has anyone ever run a bonafide fucking witch in shadowrun?
Old, cackling, makes poison apples, pulls ALL SORTS OF BULLSHIT, might actually be a young girl or an old hag you're not sure fucking illusions?
>>
>>48297265
Cute young witches are best witches.
>>
>>48297284
well, sure, she MIGHT be a cute young witch.
She might also be a middle aged witch or an old aged nasty crone witch.
You can't really prove which one is true.
>>
>>48297265
>actual organic apples
>with poison
That might actually get someone. Like, really, who wouldn't want an organic apple, come on.
>>
>>48297297
It has literally never been easier to poison people with apples than in shadowrun!
>>
>>48297265
Does it count if she uses pumpkins and is a Witch <3?

Because, yes, I've run Deneb.
>>
>>48297356
I apologize, but I have not played ogre battle.
>>
>>48297265
I've seen Halloweener Street Mage who used the hedge witchcraft tradition as 'street magic', who used some of the props. And I made a russian-hating polish witch who abused the Ally Spirit rules for a mega-familiar.

Neither was really '100% the stereotypical witch, but in shadowrun' though. Generally I think most people will at least nod to the fact that they're in a cyberpunk universe when making such a character.
>>
>>48297395
Have you at least heard Ogre Battle?

But it's a s-rpg series (other than the real-time-with-pause-tactics-rpg entries) about the troubles over quite a few years in the land of Zetegenia/Xytengia and the neighboring lands.

Deneb Rhodes is a recruitable villain in the first game and an Easter egg character in the rest. She's a very powerful witch, capable of cheating death in the way a few other powerful mages can.

Or, to quote from the Tactics Ogre part of the series "A Witch and THE Witch, Deneb, are totally different, as different as pumpkin and squash! Do you understand how different they are? Don't get confused!"
>>
>>48297265
Most people who make 'witches' in SR are going to at least nod to the fact that they're in a cyberpunk setting, rather than just 100% 'witch stereotype'm so finding a 'bonafide witch' with stuff like poison apples and stuff is going to be a bit rare, I think?
>>
>>48297515
I've heard of it, just... haven't got around to it.
>>
>>48296685
>>48296674
>>48296612
>>48296604
Interesting, sounds like a pretty good rule when you guys put it that way.
Thanks.
>>
>>48297524
Hence the question, yeah?
>>
>>48297397
>>48297524
Shit, I double-posted because I thought the first one didn't go through. My bad.
>>
>>48297525
The first like was a joke on my part. Ogre Battle is named for a Queen song and I was asking if you'd heard it.

Hrm. Now I need to figure out a good way to get Albeleo some golems.

(There's also references like the Rhyan Sea, and the first game is subtitled March of the Black Queen.

But have an Ogre Battle. https://youtu.be/7p-5CgWP7Iw )
>>
Have you ever planned a run to go off on halloween?
I feel like halloween night would be the ideal time to run the shadows.
>>
>>48296620
Nah, cuz it has more damage boxes and can fit people.
>>
>>48298458
Just because it's not a Drone drone doesn't mean it's not a drone.

Much like how you can make a gun into a drone and it's still a drone despite not being a Drone.
>>
>>48288524
>that story
>pic related
God, I fucking despise Reddit. I despise its bleedover into 4choms even more.
>>
>>48294596
>Being this butt hurt
>>
File: MRMcafee.jpg (71 KB, 900x750) Image search: [Google]
MRMcafee.jpg
71 KB, 900x750
>>48293563
I really want to play a character based off the life of John McAfee. The dude lived like he was in a comic book.
>>
>>48299362
>McAfee also has interests in smartphone apps, yoga, and all-natural antibiotics.

Idk anon.. Wiki makes him sound pretty lame.
>>
>>48299456

https://www.wired.com/2012/12/ff-john-mcafees-last-stand/

The dude is a maniac. He literally just does anything he wants because he's rich.
>>
>>48299518
Didn't even have to scroll past the picture. I no longer question you anon. He's clearly bananas, he has a tribal tattoo.
>>
>>48299015
Sounds like a prescriptivist has a case of the butthurt.
>>
>>48299886
You're goddamn right I'm butthurt.

English is a hard language to speak, but a fuck-easy language to write. It's basically the opposite of Grorious Nihongo. People who can't rite gud eenglish ain't wort mi tim.
>>
>>48300643
Cry some more. Spellings change. Hell, the English language has lost multiple letters over its history.
>>
>>48300643
>>48301046
English is just shitty peasant proto-Danish with a bunch of french words and spellings that nobles forced in.
>>
>>48299362
>>48299456
>>48299518
>>48299592

Holy fuck.
I'm halfway through this, this guy is fukken amazing.

Though Mcafee as a program is shit IMO, had a memory leak I couldn't fix couple years back.
>>
>>48301046
el oh el, u tk him 2 da bar??
>>
>>48301970
He's silicon valley Ernest Hemingway
>>
>>48301981
Here's the magical thing! So long as at least two people are using a language in any given way, that way is arguably correct.
However, when a descriptivist mockingly decides to change the language, they're using it in a way no-one (not even themselves) really is capable of communicating in. Thus, they are still finding a way to do it wrong.
>>
>>48302044
Entertaining, but not actually good at what he does?
>>
Is there a way to utilise the four Arms of a Nartaki in a mechanically beneficial way that balance out their downsides?
>>
>>48305143
Throwing Knives, RAW.
>>
>>48301970

Yeah, but it wasn't shit back when he was actively involved in developing it. It's really sad.
>>
>normally play hardass characters that go balls-deep into battle with their bare hands or a greatsword
>have an idea on making a timid young girl that was newly awakend and has rank 2 pacifism
>does her first job to help her ailing grandpa, her awakened powers helping to compensate for her obvious limitation
>gm likes the lighter side of shadowrun, so might appreciate a morality pet the edgy characters can protect

Have any of you all played children characters? How'd it work out? How do you avoid having players that want to sexualize the loil? I really just want to make something innocent, rather than some magical relm shit.
>>
>>48306118
Not Shadowrun, but I played a 16 year old wanna-be rapper from the Combat Zone in Cyberpunk 2020. He was the face, and handed out his mixtape to the people contracting us. I actually wrote his raps, sometimes.

It worked out well, and I suppose there;s less magical realm with a 16 year old black boy than a young white girl.
>>
>>48306118
>How do you avoid having players that want to sexualize the loli?

I don't play with pedophiles, I find that works pretty well.
>>
>>48306118
>>48306691
This. Has played and witnessed several child characters and never had a problem.
>>
>>48306118
If you play them right, they can be a really cool story piece. Especially since the group usually rallies around them to protect them.
>>
>>48306826
But like a previous anon said. I don't play with peso's so I never had to worry about that shit.
>>
>>48306858
Pedo's*

I guess I don't play with peso's either though.
>>
In which order should I read the books in terms of metaplot?
>>
>>48308340
>he cares about the metaplot
get a load of this chummer
>>
So there are multiple DocWagon contracts which cost depending on what services you get. And on of the things was that if you get HTR and on of them is killed you have to pay less if your contract is better.

This raises a question however: How much? Cause I cant't remember reading how much it costs per death/serious injury. Is the GM supposed to just wing it and make up an appropriate amount or does it say how much a death costs? 4e btw.

remember: DocWagon Gold contracts come with one free bump
>>
I love how it's stated in almost every edition of shadowrun that just because you're a mage or a shaman doesn't mean you have to look like you're a mage or a shaman, and that dancing and feathers are more hollywood than reality...

Then every piece of character art you see of mages and shamans has dancing, feathers, buckskins, pentagrams, etc. Mages don't have it quite as bad but still.
>>
Hey /srtg/

I'm learning lore for shadowrun via the 5th ed books and am reading through chapter 2 of Run Faster where they describe the main races.

First of all, the way this shit is written sounds stupid racist. Like, if I was an Ork and I read the blurb they have about orks in this book I'd probably have to molotov Bull's fragging house.

Which leads me to wonder how truly accurate this book is to the world as a whole. Do Dwarves really have simple, honest dwarf only trading communities? Are all elves stuck up? Do all orks respek dey mama?

Also is it worth reading the older books to learn about the world? Or should I just stick to 5th ed world building and the Sixth World Almanac?
>>
>>48308340
From first to fifth edition.

Is there a specific timeframe/edition you're looking at?
>>
>>48310179
A big part about shadowrun is always that while there may be a norm there is also tons of deviation from it. Like I recall a previous editions similar chapter featuring an elven thunderbird pilot who's a grease monkey and not all that pretty.

Somewhere in the world there's a kind little old lady troll who likes gardening and oldies such as Eminem. Somewhere there's a crude basement goblin elf who picks his nose whenever he thinks no one is looking (and he's very bad at figuring out when that is). Somewhere there's a super academic orc MAGE damn it I'm not a fucking shaman just because I'm an orc.
>>
>>48310260

No doubt. Upon reflection it seems like the whole chapter is aware that every race can have its outliers and that the cultural aspects of each race attributed to each race are more so the result of society forcing them into expected stereotypes.

But all that big word mumbo jumbo all depends on how much you trust Bull to be a good writer so who really knows. It's definitely better than 1st ed from what I surmise.
>>
Any of you guys got stats for a megalodon? It's mentioned a lot in howling shadows but no stats for it actually exist in it.
>>
>>48310246
Fifth edition, particularly CFD/Boston shenanigans
>>
>>48311852
Well the starting point should be the Mission "Splintered State" from 4e. It's where CFD came from. Afterwards you probably read in the order the books came out
>>
>>48311978
Anon, Splintered State is a 5e book and not a mission. The average mission usually has about 1/3 the amount of pages splintered state has.
>>
File: shulk.jpg (69 KB, 1280x476) Image search: [Google]
shulk.jpg
69 KB, 1280x476
>>
>>48312087
Fuck anon, I just looked it up and you're right
Fuck
>>
>>48301970
That guy is not involved with the AV anymore anyway, he sold it to Intel a few years ago.
>>
>>48312105
Kek
>>
>Friend begging me to play Tabletop with him
>Only experience is you guessed it, DnD - 3.5, 4e, and 5e.

>Just horribly turned off at how complicated character creation is. Doesn't consider premade an option since..it's hollow.

How do I welch out of this -peacefully-? I'd hate to shit up this glorious game or whatever you'd call it.

Just seems too complex for me to get into, versus just rolling crits with a rogue.
>>
>>48313147
The actual mechanic is pretty simple. You roll an amount of dice equals to your attribute + skill + modifiers. You count how many of those are 5 or 6. Depending on how many you got you succeed or not.

For CharGen get chummer5 if you are planning on playing 5e or Chummer if 4e. Chummer5 is in the OP. Chummer is on a different website. It is an absolute godsend when creating characters. The developer of chummer5 posts here as yekka.

Check the pastebin in the OP. Read the GM advice, even if you are only a player. In the pastebin there is also a mediafire link with all the rulebooks. Just check the relevant folder. The current systems are 4e and 5e. /srg/ mostly discusses 5e.

Start with the rulebook. It contains everything to play. If you are beginning with SR you should start with that until you are comfortable with more. The other books either give stuff (like Arsenal for Guns and shit, Augmentation for augmentations, etc.) or Fluff. Make your Friend read it. Also, no matter what system you chose read the Sixth World Almanac. It contains the detailed history of the setting and the state of the various countries up to 2075 or so.

If you decide to make a character use chummer/chummer5 and post it here. The anons here will probably pick up things you did wrong and how to correct it.

But the most important thing is that Shadowrun is a pretty complex system and there are people that simply want less crunch heavy systems
>>
>>48313360

>But the most important thing is that Shadowrun is a pretty complex system and there are people that simply want less crunch heavy systems

This is pretty much all I need to know. Thanks for the help, but I'll pass.

Guess I'm going to upset him, since he's basically wringing my neck with how he wants me to play his games, and I just..don't dig his overly complicated choices.
>>
>>48313391
You may want to wait until after GenCon, cause they want to present a rules-lite SR there called Anarchy
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 39

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.