[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How would you run a game where the players were stuck in a stable
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 5
File: timewarpagain.jpg (550 KB, 2000x1333) Image search: [Google]
timewarpagain.jpg
550 KB, 2000x1333
How would you run a game where the players were stuck in a stable time loop until they [beat the boss/solved the mystery/etc]?

How long would you make the time loop?
>>
>>48286114
Are you the OP from a few days ago that wanted to reuse dungeons again and again like a video game?
>>
>>48286114
I think that's literally dark souls 1. Either you kill everything and arbitrarily succeed, or you die and fight the everything over.

Just have different areas at different strengths and have the played spawn at various checkpoints when they die.
>>
Re-Zero pretty much does it right
>>
>>48286136
No, that seems like it would be bullshit.
>>
you want your players to feel badass?

like hotline miami, dark souls, prince of persia, the new hitman game... or someone doing a speedrun?

you want the players to know EXACTLY how to do badass things... via trial and error?

in tabletop games... obviously it's a bad idea to make the loop scale so small that they're just re-rolling the same skill check.

no, it needs to be large enough that individual rolls don't matter, but decision-making matters a lot.

i'd say the right scale is about... two or three levels of a dungeon.

i also think that the best way to do this will be to give the players the power. give them an item that lets them save at certain locations. or something that lets them quicksave once per two dungeon floors (or rough equivalent, in terms of campaign progress)
>>
Okay so does anyone have advice that's not "do it like this video game"?
>>
File: everyoneisjohnthetsaagent.png (2 MB, 780x2415) Image search: [Google]
everyoneisjohnthetsaagent.png
2 MB, 780x2415
The tl;dr from this is allow the players to say "we do everthing the same up until X" to avoid making it feel like a chore.
Also, mystery shit works better than fighting shit.
>>
>>48286779
Mystery shit was the plan
>>
>>48286114
One session or two at maximum. The players will probably find it neat for about that long before the repeat offenses will start to grate on them. And yeah, I wouldn't repeat combat, unless you're making it obviously and significantly easier each time.
>>
File: GroundhogDay.gif (151 KB, 650x824) Image search: [Google]
GroundhogDay.gif
151 KB, 650x824
>>48286114
Just a day should do, I'm sure they're fast learners.
>>
>>48286779
This.

I got a Everyone Is John schtick where they hear a baby getting shot near the start. Shit will get weirder and more "Warpy" as time goes on and they (probably) eventually die. They are allowed free will to do whatever, and the spawn may be different. But the baby and gradual weirdness is always the same.

Choosing to find the baby and get involved is that the baby is "the savior" and they need to get it safely to the nearby church with all of hell literally after them.
Or, knowing my guys, killing the baby themselves and impersonating a demon. Then trying to overthrow the devil.

Leave it open ended. Death doesnt matter so much as if the issue at hand is actually "dealt with" by the end of their session.
>>
>>48286114
What kind of fucking ingrate doesn't put a picture of Bill Murray in this OP
>>
>>48291174
> It's always February 2nd and I can there's do about nothing it.
>>
File: dont dead open inside.jpg (201 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
dont dead open inside.jpg
201 KB, 500x500
>>48291174
>>48292046
>>
How would you run a game where the players were stuck in a stable time loop until they {beat the boss/solved the mystery/etc}?

How long would you make the time loop?
>>
ice cream? god I love ice cream!
>>
File: wacko_zps165749ee.jpg~320x480.jpg (9 KB, 320x181) Image search: [Google]
wacko_zps165749ee.jpg~320x480.jpg
9 KB, 320x181
>>48286114
I'd do it about 23 hours. Have the loop restart with a memorable moment, a line or event that recenters them and helps them get into the start of loop mindset. Have events play out like a scrip when the players dont change anything. if there are other people in the loop with them have then not remember past loops, putting the ownus of solving the problem on the players. Their bodys won't fatigue as they "reset" with each loop, but there minds will unless they take a part of the loop to rest. Failure to do so could result in san loss/wiz dmg or whatever else you can think of to fuck with them.
In short, watch the Stargate SG1 episode "window of opportunity" for some ideas.
>>
>>48286114
Definitely not like one of the DMs for a group I was temporarily a part of did. Every single session was a single loop. A single day. The plot revolved around a blizzard catastrophe that wiped out the entire world. The party, who did not know one another in the slightest, had a single small rock. Whoever held the rock by the end of the day was the only one who remembered the previous days they had held the rock in. In addition, the source of the blizzard was an incredibly overpowered wizard who atomized things he touched due to being from another plane or something.
The party had supposedly done this one day for about 9 sessions or so until I joined. During my somewhat brief stay, another character found out that the rock could contain something small that you could take with you, and the DM expected the party to find out to go to a remote part of the forest to some old wizard towers, which would somehow shield the world ending in that small area. In total, it took about 12 entire sessions of the same day repeating, with only a single character knowing about everything in any given day. I left the group later for reasons unrelated but it was still atrociously boring.
>>
>>48286152
The problem with Re Zero in a game context (and by extension similar time loops) is you run into an issue of trying to find the one right answer - where the players never get it - or where eventually you just give in and let them get a solution. In which case the number of loops is kind of arbitrary after some initial information gathering. Also I just imagine a lot of players who would utterly fail to remember what was loop specific so far as an event.
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.