[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Alternate Tieflings
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 4
File: latest[1].png (1 MB, 1484x1686) Image search: [Google]
latest[1].png
1 MB, 1484x1686
Wizards owns the concept of tieflings, right? That shit doesn't fall under the "you can't copy right games' rules," -rule, right?

If wizards owns tieflings, what would be the best; least-cringey way to include a tiefling proxy in an rpg that isn't D&D?

They weren't strait-up half-demons in Planescape right? I'm afraid my experience in the planes is restricted to one brief play-through of torment about 5 years back.
>>
>>48281570
Just call it a cambion or something.
>>
Make then a mutt of sorts where each one is a unique mix of fantasy species that somehow produces viable offspring (magic?)
>>
File: 1448863101922.jpg (120 KB, 706x1000) Image search: [Google]
1448863101922.jpg
120 KB, 706x1000
>>48281570
>Wizards owns the concept of tieflings, right?

No, not right. They're not copywritten.
>>
You can't own the concept of a tiefling, op. Its just a human(oid) with demon ancestry.

In AD&D, they are individual descendants of mortals and demons, in newer editions they are a stable race spawned as such.

Also note that they aren't half-demons. Half-demons are different things, and are much stronger than tieflings.
>>
>>48281748
Weren't all tieflings random amalgamations of parts before 5e?
>>
>>48281584
>>48281792
Right, so they don't own the concept but they do own the word. Cambrion is a viable alternative, but that also makes it the first race you see when you start character creation; which half-demon being the first thing sort of puts a certain angle on it.

>>48281802
I was going to have them be more like what they were in Planescape; they're humans who's ancestors fuck a non-mortal being at some point and now 0~2 generations down the line; pop! yo' baby got horns! -and a random magical ability based on the thing that fuck who.

>>48281848
No.
>>
>>48281848
4e changed it.

Tieflings came about when a Human empire at war with the Dragon born made a deal with a Devil/Demons. All their Nobility would get demon powers. The modern day Tieflings are their descendants.

Note that I skipped a lot of stuff, but that's the fast way of doing it.
>>
>>48281889
Just use something simple, like Porcion. It's easy enough for your readers to catch on what it means when a part demon person shows up.
>>
>>48281900
They were never an amalgamation of races, they were a person fucking a fiend/cambrion/alu-fiend and then a tiefling poped out. The difference you're being confused by is they didn't all have horns and a tail, but one random physical trait in addition to their otherwise normal physiology, based on what sort of fiend fucked their nan.
>>
dungeon crawl stone soup just calls them "demonspawn"
>>
>>48281900
Before that, though, they were mortal races with some fiend blood in their veins, but what kind of fiend and what characteristics they displayed varied wildly until Asmodeus "claimed them all his own" and they all became the red skinned, horned, tailed tieflings used in modern editions of D&D. There are a few that escaped that, or were tieflings not because they were descendants of those tieflings but were instead made from recent mixing of blood, which do possess wildly different traits.
>>
>>48281955
The traits had no relation to their ancestry.
>>
>>48281900
>>48282010

I can't believe anyone cares about fluff after 2e/OG Planescape. There's literally nothing that was improved, and almost everything got worse.
>>
>>48281955
>>48282010
To be honest, I prefer the 4e and 5e versions. You should at least look the part if you're going to play a Tiefling, otherwise it feels like one of the billion other Elves, or a Satyr type.
>>
>>48282071
> I prefer the newer editions because my definition of the race is defined by the newer editions
That's all well and good, and a valid option, but your syntax also carries the implication that the originals are actually inferior, because do not look like the new version of the tiefling.
>>
>>48282063
There's been a real lack of Al-Qadims and Everton, but part of the issue has to do with economics. It's much more efficient to put out Adventure Paths than new settings.

>>48282102
Purely personal opinion, I just feel that monster races should really look the part. However, I totally understand why people would pick the previous version, and I do like the random trait table they had.
>>
File: PZO9280-TieflingMale.jpg (103 KB, 675x1000) Image search: [Google]
PZO9280-TieflingMale.jpg
103 KB, 675x1000
>>48281889
>Right, so they don't own the concept but they do own the word.

No nigga they don't. Paizo uses it all the time. They've got like five words copywritten.
>>
>>48286551

As far as I know, Wizards only owns "illithid", which is why Pathfinder calls them "mind flayers". What are the others?
>>
>>48287584
They've got a few things they've kept out of the OGL for brand identity whatever
http://www.d20srd.org/faq.htm
>>
>>48282183
We should have both but with different names.

Like trueborn tieflings and chaosborn tieflings.
>>
File: 1398719439607.jpg (215 KB, 640x895) Image search: [Google]
1398719439607.jpg
215 KB, 640x895
>>48281570
I called them 'Grigori' before for a homebrew. Could use that.
>>
>>48287584
Beholders
>>
>>48281570
No, PF has tieflings for example
>>
Can't copyright a word.
>>
>>48292229
Wrong
Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.