[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is edgy bad?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 3
File: edgy.jpg (51 KB, 447x614) Image search: [Google]
edgy.jpg
51 KB, 447x614
Is edgy bad?
>>
good enough for a poke
>>
File: that guy's character sheet.jpg (39 KB, 599x361) Image search: [Google]
that guy's character sheet.jpg
39 KB, 599x361
Depends on how bland and over-the-top it is.

Granted, if you take it over the top in the right manner, it's funny as hell and becomes good again, or if you satirize it a bit.
Black Trenchcoats and Katanas, Vampire Half-Demon Samurai guy on a quest to avenge his Succubus wife who was raped and murdered infront of him by Catholic Robot Cyborgs. That kind of shit.
>>
>>48279410
Is try hard bad?
Just about any action that is lacking self reflection is bad.
So yes, edgy is often bad because the people who are doing it are unaware how it makes them look like a spoiled teenager.
>>
>>48279755
Idk

Just the right amount of edge makes it...sharp.
>>
It all depends on the setting and game. Is it an evil campaign where everyone plays as saturday morning villains?
>>
>>48279874
That reminds me. I always wanted to do a Mutants and Masterminds game, but make everyone shit-tier villains from The Guild of Calamitous Intent. Shit would be cash.
>>
When people say edgy on tg, 4chan, or the internet in general, they're typically referring to the memes like coldsteel or people that try to be crazy and evil just for shock value.

Those memes go over the top with it, but ORIGINALLY the "edgy" topics (violence, depression, sex, etc) were edgy when they first started, but now when people bring those topics up, it's boring because it's been done before.

True "edginess" is relative. For instance: on /pol/, being a genuinely decent person is considered edgy because it's on the edge in relation to /pol/'s general content
>>
I dunno. One of my players took a female bandit leader captive (she was basically River Tam right down to the vague psionic powers, but with an AK-47 and dual-wield makarovs). She didn't even really start the fight with the PCs, one of her men did, and the characters proceeded to slaughter the entire hospital and take her prisoner when she went to take out the intruders. So they knocked her unconscious then the group medic severed her spine near the base so she couldn't move her legs. Then claimed he would give her a "new life" in the village. They left the hospital after getting the medicine they needed, then fought another group. After they were resting they heard distant screaming from the girl waking up (they had just lumped her in the back of the trunk). Said player hasn't wanted to play that campaign since.

He's not really that edgy either, just occasionally.... has weird ideas.

I've had other edgy shit go on but that's most of it.
>>
>>48279934
wew lad.
>>
>>48279410
bad for what, specifically?

it CAN be bad
it CAN be not bad

just like fucking anything
>>
>>48279410
You get various kinds of edgy.

Jack is edgy, but it's bad edgy. It's way too over the top and is just for shock value than actual horror.

DmC is claimed to be edgy but it isn't really. It's just laden with more profanity than it needs.

Law & Order is sometimes called Edgy, but it's just Dick Wolf writing his own personal justice fantasies.

Edgy is when something tries to be dark and mature but ultimately fucks it up because the author's maturity and understanding cannot keep up with the subject matter. It's easier to apply to individual things than a work as a whole.
>>
>>48279901
I would play that.
>>
>>48279410
not always
but usually yes
>>
>>48279967
>justice fantasies.
DICK WOLF IN TWO FUCKING WORDS.
>>
>>48279967
>Jack

Which Jack?
>>
File: 1448073936384.jpg (408 KB, 1280x944) Image search: [Google]
1448073936384.jpg
408 KB, 1280x944
>>48279410
Edgy can be fun if you play it right, just like how this anon describes >>48279655.

I made my character super reckless and over-the-top, violently gratuitous as fuck. Instead of utilizing hero points, I aptly dubbed them 90's HARDCORE EXTREME EDGE points to help me commit into some of the more ridiculous things I would do.
>>
>>48280069
The grimdark furry webcomic. It's a good read if you like edgy-as-fuck as a guilty pleasure. If not, it's pretty bad.
>>
>>48280762
storytime?
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.