[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Thinking about collecting MTG cards and maybe learning how to
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 0
Thinking about collecting MTG cards and maybe learning how to play...

What am I in for?
>>
If you play with freinds fun and shit talking
>>
>>48275738
Enjoy new cards that cost 80$ a card.

Collecting Pokemon cards would be cheaper if you're really into collecting
>>
>What am I in for?
- spending a shitload of money
- having your deck become outdated in less than six months

Don't do this to yourself, anon. There are many games with good art and mechanics that won't cost you a thousandth of the money MTG costs.
>>
>>48275817
>>48275905

What about Yu-Gi-Oh then? I don't live in a very large city so there aren't a lot of other games that are active here.
>>
>>48275738
Instead of buying cards just look for copies of the cards you want online and then print them onto cardstock and cut them out uniformly. Your friends can do the same.

Now you and your buddies can play with absolutely any sort of deck you want and it cost you a sum total of 50 cents.

That shit might not fly at a game shop or especially any kind of official tournament, but you are just getting started after all.
>>
>>48275738
MTG has formats. People who are complaining about expensive cards play ones that require them, while there are plenty of formats that dont.
Going from past history, MTG is a better investment, as cards tend to retain and sometimes gain value over time, and is more widely played at game stores, so it would be easier to make friends through it. The game is only as expensive as you allow it to be, anon. You can spend $1500 and play in tourneys, or you can spend $15-50 and have a few fun games with friend/make friends over, now and then.
>>
LCG > CCG

No exceptions.
>>
>>48275738
If you're in it just for sheer number of cards in a collection, yu gi oh or force of will or something may be cheaper to buy in bulk, but MTG has a substantially larger number of cards and, in my opinon, often is far more visually appealing, especially foiled cards.
>>
>>48276217
This, build proxy decks and have fun. Once you get the hang of the game start asking around with people you know if they used to play Magic and don't need their cards anymore. You would be surprised how many people get into Magic and just drop it, and are more than happy to sell you what they have for a super great price. Remember, a shoebox full of cards for $30 is a great deal compared to the same price for seven booster packs. Some of my best cards have come from old "worthless" collections.
>>
>>48276517
>buying somebody's shitty draft commons for 30$
>>
>>48276555
OP specified collection is his primary goal, followed by playing. In that case, buying 500 bulk commons and uncommons is a better deal than spending $30 on playable singles, but having no collection to speak of.
If he says otherwise then yes, i agree with you.
>>
>>48276555
I have always come out on top of what I paid, but then again I know what I'm looking for.
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 0

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.